Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2020, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

News & Politics Lite | The Lighter Side of News & Politics #14

While this is the Lighter side of the news, it should be noted that some topics within this thread could contain stories, images and discussions that may cause a triggering event. To be respectful of everyone on the El&I board we have divided the News & Politics thread into two separate categories. "Lite" & "Sensitive"

This is the Lite thread. Topics discussed here should be the ones that fall on the lighter side of the news such as political cartoons, presidential campaigns, advances in science & technology....etc. The darker side of the news should be posted here News & Politics | Sensitive Topics this thread is clearly labeled so those who may be upset by certain topics can avoid them.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2020, 10:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Believe it or not, there's still protests currently in downtown Portland I just saw on my local news. Not a lot of protestors & a riot thankfully hasn't been declared tonight there.

It could be karma, but also Trump has I think high cholesterol, among whichever other health problems. The debate between Pence & Harris is expected to still happen next week olif you were planning on watching it.

Do you want to start a new thread?
Protests in Portland have been ongoing and on the news this whole time, so they're not a matter of belief or opinion. With the feds moving out, it's also hardling surprising that riots haven't broken out.

Trump is the tip of the Covid iceberg among Republicans. Kellyanne Conway's tested positive, Chris Christies, 45's campaign chief, a bunch of people who were there when he announced he was selecting that "conception begins at the first kiss" judge to replace RBG... In the U.S.'s pay-for-play health-care system, this is a crowd that can afford the best, so I'm not at all worried for them. But I do wish they'd see reality.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:35 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Well, I think some didn't think that they would be going on 5 months after George Floyd's death. They did stop for a little bit due to I think the bad air here in the Portland Metro Area last month.

Trump especially has good doctors to take care of him, yes it's hard to expect Covid-19 to due him. Ironically I think Republicans are still trying to end The Affordable Care Act.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think that anyone who thought the BLM protests would die out hasn't paid attention to the news. It's worldwide at this point. Because people realize that the system is screwed up and clearly won't be fixed unless real action is taken. And with the pandemic, a lot of people have been confronted even more than usual with the inequity, so they've got even more motivation and, let's face it, possibly more time has well.

Things have to change. The system is broken and rotten. And with RBG's death, people will have to fight even hard to get social justice.

Of course, the GOP wants the end of the ACA. Then, the gap between the rich and the poor is even stronger.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT!

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave
Old 10-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Belarus: Dozens arrested as police blast protesters with water cannon It's amazing to see how some people are facing almost impossible odds in their fight for democracy. And they're not giving up. Despite rampant and systematic oppression, they continue to fight for their rights to a real democracy. Of course, on this side of the world, we don't hear much about it.

Workers allegedly dumping some border wall waste into Mexico And we don't hear a whole lot about Belarus because we're too busy giving attention to an administration that has chosen to disrespect its partners, allies and neighbours with impunity. Like a big bratty bully on the playground.

Trump viewed Canada as political pawn in trade issues with China: Bolton The good news is, I think we're done trying to help out the United States. I had hopes that Chrétien's refusal to send troops into Iraq would be the end. I should have realized we would send troops there anyway, because we're such good neighbours. But now that we see that our help is never going to be appreciated, we should stop.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:53 PM

That for all of this news. I I'm not familiar with Belarus, but wish them well in becoming democratic. Amy Barrett will become a justice in our Supreme Court this week.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Belarus has had the same president since the fall of the Soviet Union and it's next door to Russia. Opposition leaders have had a sneaky tendency to get arrested, detained, tortured or murdered. Sorry, I mean they've had terrible accidents. For the first time in 26+ years, the EU cottoned on to the fact that the elections were dodgy last time the President re-elected himself. So now it's open season on opposition because he's trying to keep his grip on power.

In short, Belarus is a cautionary tale for Russian influence over elections.

At least, that's the conclusion I've drawn from the articles I've linked on here.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:29 AM

Thanks. There's another presidential debate scheduled for this Thursday here. Mics apparently will be shut off to give the 2 participates 2 minutes each to answer questions I think. So, all of that interrupting in their previous debate likely won't happen in this 1. Kristen Weller will be moderating this debate. In pleasant news I think, Utah's Gubernatorial race between Spencer Cox & Chris Peterson put out at least 1 ad of a return to "civility". They were on "CNN Tonight" earlier with Don Lemon discussing it & it's just nice to see political opponents actually get along though they have different opinions on issues.

In more positive news unless you're perhaps Trump, the U.S. Supreme Court is allowing mail-in ballots for Pennsylvania to be counted up to 3 days after Election Day next month. Trump called that decision "strange" & "ridiculous".
Old 10-21-2020, 03:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

What's it like to have a president who thinks it's strange and ridiculous to follow the law? You know, I think I know already. No need to answer that question. We're lucky the Supreme Court doesn't have that new Justice yet. She's obviously being brought in to defend Trump's interests, Barr-style.

Meanwhile, Trudeau survived another confidence vote. Third one in as many months, I think. Bleh. I wish the Conservatives would learn to just stuff it. They've got balls crying corruption while Mike Duffy is asking our Supreme Court to allow him to sue the government for finding his expense abuses illegal.

But at least there is some progress in the world: Pope endorses same-sex civil unions in new documentary It's still a weak sign, but it's the first sign in the right direction that we've seen from the Church, so I'll take it.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:09 PM

Thanks for this news. Glad that the Pope is supporting same-sex couples. In other news, OxyContin, which is the maker of Purdue Pharma has pleaded "guilty" as part of federel charges & the U.S. Justice Dept. announced that guilty plea is part of an $8,300,000,000 settlement tied to the opioid crisis here.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

I saw that about OxyContin, but I wasn't sure which of the two threads to post it on. I did think drug addiction would probably be triggering for some...
Old 10-22-2020, 08:13 PM

Yeah. This debate just wrapped up. I did not watch much as I have been watching football instead, but it apparently was les chaotic than Biden & Trump's first debate with each other.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

putin will never allow Navalny to be democratically elected or chosen in any type of selection process.

Clexa Forever! | may we meet again | Dave

Last edited by Jen's Herald; 10-23-2020 at 05:53 PM
Old 10-24-2020, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

I know I'm grateful to live in a country where you have don't to wait till somebody dies for the world to change.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread