Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:37 AM
Elite Fan

Sorry, I would have added this last week but this is such a busy time at work that I have not had time to sleep pretty-much! I did my part by voting yes and convincing a few others to vote yes as well.
Camibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, no worries. As I alluded to earlier, this did not come as a surprise to me.
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Elite Fan

*Lethe's Bramble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

I have a crappy computer, so the end cut out before I could see that whole video... but I love it! I love what I saw.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

A new trailer for "Love, Simon". This one is so much better then the first trailer. Here they really showcase what the story is about more. So excited to see this one!!

I was in my new house placing daydreams
-------Patching up the crack along the wall
→ Jessica | creative dream
meraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

You'll have to let me know if it lived up to your expectations.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
And I'm not saying that to be cute or to ignore the fact that homophobia is not just an older generation phenomenon.

These terms people use such as homophobia are misleading words. Let me explain.

The definition of a phobia has always meant to have an irrational fear of something:

Phobia = A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, defined by a persistent fear of an object or situation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobia

So by logic and proper use of english one would call homophobia a fear of homosexuals, BUT the use of the english language has been corrupted so the meaning of the word phobia completely dropped.

The official definition of homophobia twists the use of the word phobia to mean something completely different.

Homophobia = encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

BUT BUT BUT,a phobia is not an expression of "negative attitudes and feeling", it IS a "FEAR".

SO why is the use of phobia being used if it is not in the proper context? Making up words with a different meaning doesn't make sense! It's very common these days for this type of thing to be happening, but use of such flakey language creates confusion because a definition is used to be something different to what it is. Why aren't we using english properly these days??

Why are we using such dubious words to describe situations? Just because everyone is using these words doesn't make it use of correct english. It doesn't help one to make a strong point if one uses meaningless words without a solid foundation.

Just my opinion....no need to answer my questions. Never mind me, I just don't understand the trend for using such flakey language these days.

Note: I am not signaling anyone out here. I understand many are using these type of made up words now, even academics have gone down this path.

Last edited by Future husband of Kelly.; 01-19-2018 at 08:56 PM
Future husband of Kelly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:15 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Probably because English is a complicated language & people couldn't find a better term to use. Plus while homophobia is used to describe "a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality", ect. it wouldn't surprise me if those feelings came from a fear of homosexuality or not understanding it which to me makes it fit . Plenty of words in the English language don't follow the rules that others words do. There's always the rule 'i before e except after c' while there's plenty of words which don't follow it (E.G. science, weird). Personally I think its best to just not try understand the English language or question it as it probably doesn't make sense a lot of times. Also plenty of people use phobia terms when they're just scared of something but they possibly don't actually have the phobia. They certainly wouldn't be diagnosed with it

If you go to the Homophobia Wikipedia page that you linked to it tells you that the term was first credited to a psychologist, George Weinberg, in the 1960s. Obviously his use of the term caught on far more than any other suggestion to describe the behaviour even if its not using the correct meaning of phobia. But tbh homophobia is irrational, probably comes from fear, so probably does fit. Your thoughts would probably best fit somewhere where other fans of the English language & using it correctly are. Not sure if we've got a thread like that on but if we do this board would probably the place to find it

Quote:
Homophobia = encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.
While homophobia does cover all of that its mainly just the negativity towards homosexuality. There also is biphobia, transphobia, pansphobia, lesbophobia, heterophobia ect. All of those words don't follow the meaning of phobia but that doesn't change the fact that they exist & will continue being used to describe the negativity, hatred, & fear directed towards those people & groups. Regardless of if they're misleading people still know what it means (or at least what homophobia means)

Jess I hope you enjoy the movie & it lives up to your expectations

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Chelle. I hope so too.

I was in my new house placing daydreams
-------Patching up the crack along the wall
→ Jessica | creative dream
meraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by calling me home (View Post)
. Your thoughts would probably best fit somewhere where other fans of the English language & using it correctly are. Not sure if we've got a thread like that on but if we do this board would probably the place to find it
We don't have one like that, but it's a great idea for to have an etymology thread

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Sunrise at Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, Ron. Seriously?

This isn't a thread about gay tolerance. It's a safe space for gay, lesbian, transgender, asexual, demi-sexual, and anybody else my fried brain can't think of at the moment to find support and acceptance.

It's certainly not a place for anyone to lecture others about... well, anything, really. Especially not using sources that describe the gay community as being "radical."
Old 01-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Mr Ron, I feel a reminder is needed as to what this thread is about, Like Sunny said it's place of support and acceptance. Your last two post are highly offensive and could possibly upset someone and cause unintended harm. I'm sure you're just after a civil debate and mean no harm but we'd prefer to keep this a non judgmental thread and will be removing the posts.

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Sunrise at Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise at Midnight (View Post)
Mr Ron, I feel a reminder is needed as to what this thread is about, Like Sunny said it's place of support and acceptance. Your last two post are highly offensive and could possibly upset someone and cause unintended harm. I'm sure you're just after a civil debate and mean no harm but we'd prefer to keep this a non judgmental thread and will be removing the posts.
Just a note to anyone who missed my deleted posts, l don't hold GLBT against anyone, and l made it clear that discrimination against such a group is uncalled for. I did make a post about the serious health issues doctors etc I know have encountered with the GLBT community, and l did provide a link which talks about those issues. Just wanted to let people know that.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Graphics Team Manager

While that's appreciated i know i for one come here for the safe space to be accepted for who i am, not in depth discussions on homophobia, medical issues, ect. Sure they are important topics especially medical health but mostly its nice to know there's a place where you can come to be safe & not judges & just escape from all of that

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by calling me home (View Post)
While that's appreciated i know i for one come here for the safe space to be accepted for who i am, not in depth discussions on homophobia, medical issues, ect. Sure they are important topics especially medical health but mostly its nice to know there's a place where you can come to be safe & not judges & just escape from all of that

Thanks for the post Chelle, it is really good to hear about why people post here and how they feel about things. The fact that you said it, it's given me an understanding l never really had before, it's finally allowed me to see things from a different angel.
Reply   Post New Thread