Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've been having real trouble with my OCD lately, which is ultimately a stem of anxiety too.. I haven't stopped or skipped any meds or anything. And it can be really frustrating to explain things because most don't understand, or think OCD is something completely different. I've been a little slow at work because I have to keep retracing over the letters until it feels "right". A lot more than usual. I try to forget it but now I can't leave one word alone. It sucks. I'm also having a hard time determining what songs I need to listen to on my way to work to ensure that I have a good day. (What I mean by that is that some songs are either bad or good luck) However, I know it doesn't actually matter. My OCD just can't stop myself from being superstitious like that. sorry, I just wanted to kind of rant. I'm by myself at work today so sometimes these thoughts just really get to me when I'm trapped inside my head. There's a lot more, but these are the ones I've been having more of a hard time with lately.

Does anyone have any experience writing in a journal/journals to help them with their anxiety?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Not with anxiety per se, but my gratitude journal has helped a lot with my depression.

Knowing that I "have" to end the day with writing down five things I have gratitude for that happened during my day has helped me shift my focus to look for those things during the day.

How would you use journaling to deal with your anxiety/OCD?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Could you further explain how it has helped you? I'm curious and want to try it.

I was thinking, perhaps like keeping track of things. Sleeping, money, health, etc. but also writing or things that might help with anxiety in general. It could also be used as a distraction, like when I'm having a bad anxiety attack at work or something. Speaking of which, I need a safer outlet. I'm too impulsive when I'm in that state.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I would be careful of keeping track of certaing things, like sleep. My opinion, and this is just my opinion mind you, is that you're more likely to cause yourself anxiety if you keep track of just how much or how little sleep you have every night.

The specifics of how it helped me are a little hard to pin down, beyond "knowing I'll have to write five things down about my day for which I have gratitude." Basically, I used to think my life was crap. Finding five things in every day that weren't crap helped me shift my attitude. And, eventually, I started seeing more and more good things, however small they may be.

It was a very slow process, too. Don't expect a magic wand here.

Automatic writing could be super useful, I think, when you're in a tailspin of anxiety. It would be a healthy/safe outlet to express whatever's going on in your head and, just, like, evacuate it. Nothing worse for anxiety, in my experience, than to have it fester.

I keep a diary of what I call "letters of God," too. Just, asking a Higher Power to help me out with certain things in my life, like my health, but also the way I tend to stress about everything. It helps me remember that I can choose to let things go. You know "Guide me towards greater joy and self-respect so that I may be a more positive actor in my life," that sort of thing.

... That's what has worked for me.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I feel anxious about my living situation potentially changing... to where I may end up with a family with 4 kids and a dog will living above me and that will mean I can't keep my door open which my cat is used to and I'd lose easy access to the kitchen in the house and having some control over some things, but most of all the noise of 4 kids running above me and a dog barking... when I work already with kids at school and use earplugs, I like coming home to a quiet house to wind down, I might end up having to live with kids at home too.

E.T.A. Ugh, and aside from some other things, on top of this news, I started getting shaky and my teeth started chattering so I'm taking a melatonin tonight since I need sleep for work tomorrow. *sigh*

Last edited by reason to believe; 10-01-2017 at 11:49 PM
Old 10-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
The specifics of how it helped me are a little hard to pin down, beyond "knowing I'll have to write five things down about my day for which I have gratitude." Basically, I used to think my life was crap. Finding five things in every day that weren't crap helped me shift my attitude. And, eventually, I started seeing more and more good things, however small they may be.
I did this too. Along with other mental and physical exercises, (including smiling in the mirror every morning) and it's changed things so much for me. I do think it can be habit forming to find the positive in things.

I'm sorry to hear that Leanne. How likely is that to happen?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm sorry for all the anxiety and fears you're dealing with at the moment Leanne.

Sometimes keeping breathing, and focusing on your breath is all you can use to keep some sense of peace.

Kim
Old 10-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, as it's my brother and his family and where they are living right now, I can't see how he would refuse the offer.

I'm just thinking how it would be to come home from work from a day with kids and then live with kids above me... instead of my quiet home... it might feel like I'm living in a bad apartment building with kids living above me.. even if it's my nieces and nephews.

It's not official yet, I'm hoping they will find a co-op or something.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Didn't your parents offer you an opportunity to move out somewhere else a while back?

I mean, I don't remember if it was a time-sensitive offer. But, if it wasn't... maybe you could keep that offer in mind, if having children living above you becomes too much?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It wasn't time sensitive, we all just decided not to go through with those plans after looking at a few options.

I'm just kind of stressing cause my brother is going through difficulties, yet I'm feeling guilty cause I'm still thinking about my own self preservation too. I don't want to be in a position where if things fail with them, then I'm also screwed. I don't like change of almost any kind, especially when it comes to potentially losing the comfort of my surroundings which is my refuge from the world that I go through during the days. I don't need my living situation in a vulnerable area based on other people's whims.

It's hard being the only one to support me
Old 10-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliana (View Post)
I did this too. Along with other mental and physical exercises, (including smiling in the mirror every morning) and it's changed things so much for me. I do think it can be habit forming to find the positive in things.

I'm sorry to hear that Leanne. How likely is that to happen?
there is a thread here called Mirror I'll bump it up because it's been awhile but it was something I learned in my cancer support group, you look in the mirror and say something positive about yourself no matter how you are feeling. It was amazing how much that helps.

ETA - I just saw where you already found it

here is the link for others

http://www.fanforum.com/f134/mirror-.../#post76920488

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.

Last edited by Sunrise at Midnight; 10-04-2017 at 09:23 AM
Old 10-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for bumping up that thread, Kali. I participated. Not sure if I did it correctly, though.

And, look at that, how meta of me to be worried about another tread on thsi thread.

Leanne, I have every faith in you that you will figure it out. As you know, I'm in the perfect position to understand what it's like to live on your own in a big city. You'll figure it out.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise at Midnight (View Post)
there is a thread here called Mirror I'll bump it up because it's been awhile but it was something I learned in my cancer support group, you look in the mirror and say something positive about yourself no matter how you are feeling. It was amazing how much that helps.

ETA - I just saw where you already found it
I'd totally forgotten about that thread! Thanks for bumping it up.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

My anxiety is through the roof the more I try to fight my OCD. But I don't have the money to go to therapy. I don't know what to do.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 10-28-2017, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by always protect you (View Post)
My anxiety is through the roof the more I try to fight my OCD. But I don't have the money to go to therapy. I don't know what to do.
In the same boat as you right now. OCD can be so hard to fight sometimes. It affects most of my decisions. I've worked for years to cope and it has gotten better, but some days are better than others, for sure.

Feel free to talk to me, my inbox is always open.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread