Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2016, 01:06 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
See, I dont do ships. Im not a shipper. Thats just not who I am or what I do. But I can appreciate that others dont think like me who do ship.
Me neither. Even saying the word 'shipper' makes me cringe a little. Nothing can beat a good friendship on TV imo. The Doctor and his multiple classic companions and the Brig especially, Jack Bauer and Tony Almeida on 24, Denny Crane and Alan Shore on Boston Legal, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad, Michael Schofield and Lincoln Burrows on Prison Break etc etc. I think its rarer and therefore better imo to have an excellent friendship shown on TV than romance, It feels more natural, rather that shoved down ones throat. It's also believable because the actors are, presumably, friends off screen, but they are rarely romantically involved, which is why imo it feels so much more natural and less forced.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:50 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
See, I dont do ships. Im not a shipper. Thats just not who I am or what I do. But I can appreciate that others dont think like me who do ship.
thats ok i dont mind bromance some romance bugs me to it ruins certain characters
Old 02-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
Me neither. Even saying the word 'shipper' makes me cringe a little. Nothing can beat a good friendship on TV imo. The Doctor and his multiple classic companions and the Brig especially, Jack Bauer and Tony Almeida on 24, Denny Crane and Alan Shore on Boston Legal, Walter White and Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad, Michael Schofield and Lincoln Burrows on Prison Break etc etc. I think its rarer and therefore better imo to have an excellent friendship shown on TV than romance, It feels more natural, rather that shoved down ones throat. It's also believable because the actors are, presumably, friends off screen, but they are rarely romantically involved, which is why imo it feels so much more natural and less forced.
I dont care much for romance in my TV characters either. Or any of this bromance nonsense. Why label everything? I like good, old-fashioned friendships in my TV shows.
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Elite Fan

I don't see why anyone thinks romance is threatening to friendship. No one is saying EVERY relationship has to be a romance. But some relationships should be since most people are not aromantic/asexual. You can have a best friend and a boyfriend. You can have a sibling and a girlfriend. You can have a whole group of friends and a whole group of lovers without any intersection.

Now shows like 90210 and Gossip Girl go too far. There's way too much kissing and bed hopping. Two characters spend more than an episode together and they end up being romantically linked.

Romances done right are never forced and are definitely as natural as the friendships you love. Friendships aren't better than romance just like there are plenty of romances that aren't better than friendships. But many people are closer to their spouse than they are to their friends.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywiccan (View Post)
I don't see why anyone thinks romance is threatening to friendship. No one is saying EVERY relationship has to be a romance. But some relationships should be since most people are not aromantic/asexual. You can have a best friend and a boyfriend. You can have a sibling and a girlfriend. You can have a whole group of friends and a whole group of lovers without any intersection.

Now shows like 90210 and Gossip Girl go too far. There's way too much kissing and bed hopping. Two characters spend more than an episode together and they end up being romantically linked.

Romances done right are never forced and are definitely as natural as the friendships you love. Friendships aren't better than romance just like there are plenty of romances that aren't better than friendships. But many people are closer to their spouse than they are to their friends.
Yer i agree to that bit theres been a lot.of other shows that have done friendships well
Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

Once you are in a romance with someone, you can never really go back to just being friends, Wily. Thats why romance is a threat to basic friendship.
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Elite Fan

I meant you can have romance in a series/movie AND have friendships. That the time devoted to romance doesn't take away from the time devoted to friendships.

I wasn't saying the romance is between two friends. Although there are plenty of people who are good friends with their exes.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:26 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I meant you can have romance in a series/movie AND have friendships. That the time devoted to romance doesn't take away from the time devoted to friendships.

I wasn't saying the romance is between two friends. Although there are plenty of people who are good friends with their exes.
thats true it depands on how its left
Old 03-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Although there are plenty of people who are good friends with their exes.
Yep. It's possible, it's just completely dependent on the circumstances. Sometimes a friendship turning into a romance does destroy the friendship, I've seen it happen, but sometimes it doesn't.

Leigh Tumblr
BlondieLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieLeigh (View Post)
Yep. It's possible, it's just completely dependent on the circumstances. Sometimes a friendship turning into a romance does destroy the friendship, I've seen it happen, but sometimes it doesn't.
true sometimes it can go the otherway they where romantically involved than realise it wouldnt work they are better as friends
Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Very nice. Satisfying conclusion.

The Doctor won. I honestly thought Davros would succeed in making the daleks worse than ever. But the Doctor found a way to use his own plan against him.
I thought so too. I wasn't expecting the win this time but he is really clever.

The last thing needed was Daleks worse and more hateful than than already are.
One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread