Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

The Dresden Files Appreciation #2

The Books ~
The TV Series ~

First thread

Hopefully there will still be people interested in discussing Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" series. Unfortunately the Sci-Fi TV series has come and gone, but at least there was a DVD release. The books are still going strong, with the next one scheduled for release in April 2008.

Last edited by Lutesse; 08-17-2015 at 07:00 AM Reason: add images
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Total Fan

I'm still reading the books and I've got the DVDs so I can participate. I thought I would finish Dead Beat over the weekend but things didn't work out as I thought. I've still got just over a hundred pages to go.
dukesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Master Fan

I found reading White Night this summer that I really needed to reread some of the previous books. The novels are building up a lot of mythology, and some of it culminated in that book.

I'm pretty conversant with the first four books, Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril, and Summer Knight, as I've read them a few times and listened to the unabridged audiobooks. But Death Masks, Blood Rites, Dead Beat and Proven Guilty I've only read once, and I forget some of the details.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Total Fan

I've been reading them pretty much back to back and am getting some of the details confused - can't always remember in which book something was revealed. A co-worker and I have been sharing the books and discussing them as soon as the second person (usually me since I'm a slow reader) gets through a book. Sometimes I just send her an e-mail reporting my current status and we talk about it as much as possible without spoiling the upcoming action for me.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Total Fan

If the Sci Fi channel schedulebot can be believed, The Boone Identity and Hair of the Dog will be airing Friday November 9th and 16th, respectively, at 7 p.m. EST.

BTW - finished Dead Beat and have moved on to other series' since I don't have White Knight. And, since I've been curious about Mouse ever since he was introduced, I looked up the breed mentioned my Murphy (I think it was her) and found this: American Kennel Club - Caucasian Mountain Dog check out the pictures, the puppies are adorable!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm actually interested in this series... many Harry Potter fans (from other forums) have put this down as the 'what will you read after Harry Potter has finished?' option. As Potter has finished I guess it's time to look around. I know more about the books than the series. Was the series a flop? What happened? I've only read good things about the books.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Having read the books first, I found the series a bit disappointing, but still watchable. Maybe if you watched the series first, you wouldn't have preconceptions about certain things. Having said that, I would have watched a second season if it had been renewed.

I love the books and would definitely recommend them. Can't wait for the next one in April.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Total Fan

I watched the series first and then read all the books that are currently out in paperback. I almost always recommend watching first before reading the books for which a movie or television series is based.

Since I bought the DVDs, I'm sure it's obvious I would have watched a second season. As far as I know, a specific reason for not renewing was never actually given, but many people thought it happened because TPTB didn't get the demographics they wanted (too many women watching ).

Any idea when White Night will be released in paperback?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Elite Fan

Hey folks, just got word today that the great folks at Dabel Brothers are looking to adapt the Dresden Files into comic books and graphic novels. They've done great work in the past with Anita Blake, Wyrms and the Magician.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Cryostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Master Fan

I've heard good things about graphic novels in general, but I can't say as I've ever really read any.

There's more information on these novels here:

Jim-Butcher.Com: Jim-Butcher.Com News: Dresden Files Comic Books To Be Produced by Dabel Brothers
Jim-Butcher.Com: Jim-Butcher.Com News: Comic book concept art, distribution news!
Dabel Brothers Publishing - Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files
http://www.dabelbrothers.com/plugins...ges/tb_197.jpg

Other interesting Dresden Files news: As most of you probably already know, James Marsters has recorded the unabridged audio books for the first four Dresden Files Books (Storm Front, Fool Moon, Dead Beat and Summer Knight - news here about special discounts to purchase these audios). Apparently, he's jumping ahead to record Small Favors, the Dresden Files book to due to be released next April. The audio will be released at the same time as the book.

Small Favors will be recorded for Penguin rather than Buzzy Multimedia like the other four books, hopefully it's still the unabridged version like the rest of them. Hopefully too James will go back and record the other Dresden books between Summer Knight and Small Favors.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:52 AM
Elite Fan

There are 9 in all right now, correct?
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files Graphic Adaptation

Hi my friends, here is the official press release for the Dresden Files graphic adaptation, enjoy

DABEL BROTHERS OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCE DRESDEN FILES, BUTCHER TO WRITE MINISERIES - NEWSARAMA
The_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Elite Fan

Khan, beautiful artwork, like we've come to expect from Dabel Brothers. And that's great news that we're getting some original content from the Dresden creator himself. Great job and I can't wait to get this when it comes out.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Part-Time Fan

Re:

Thank you Cryostar my friend, I'm happy you like the artwork But you haven't seen nothing yet, when you see the others well, you'll see them soon I read the first script that Mr. Butcher wrote and it is fantastic!
The_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Elite Fan

Great news.....I felt compelled by this to break out some of the old dresden on the DVR (yeah, old, right). Let's hope this version sticks around a bit longer, can't wait to see what some of the high counsel looks like.
Reply   Post New Thread