Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe_Tomorrow (View Post)
It's now being said that the little girl who performed in the opening ceromony was miming. The girl whose voice it actually was, was apparently deemed not pretty enough. I'll post the article as soon as i can find it again.

eta:Article.
Oh, wow. I cant even.... That's sick.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

Wow talk about the Olymipics becoming comercial. This is a young girl being told that she is not pretty enough, a little girl, come on. No spirt there I think.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Why am I not surprised that they somehow managed to task two little girls with that job?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Slippers (View Post)
That's your prerogative but you can admit that the location of the olympics has nothing to do with the athletes who participate.
I agree. So because of the issues going in China, does that mean the participants should be stripped of their medals? Again, they're not responsible for the choices of their dictator. Everyone participating in the Olympics are there doing what they love.

Quote:
It's now being said that the little girl who performed in the opening ceremony was miming. The girl whose voice it actually was, was apparently deemed not pretty enough. I'll post the article as soon as i can find it again.
Well, maybe the Chinese thought that the opening ceremony had to appear perfect despite what was really going on. I think that girl's self-esteem is shot.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:34 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

They replaced the girl because she didn't represent the right image of China? I have no words. I am not surprised though, if something - or in this case someone - isn't perfect it has no place in the perfect opening ceremony. The poor girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Slippers
That's your prerogative but you can admit that the location of the olympics has nothing to do with the athletes who participate.
Agreed. The athletes should not be punished for the political situation China. That's why I didn't believe in the idea of a boycott either. A boycott wouldn't have changed the situation in China - except that maybe the relationships with China might have become more strained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel
So far it's mostly gymnastics, beach volleyball (which I'm not terribly interested in) and swimming with some synchronized diving thrown in here and there.
I watched some of the beach volleyball matches this past few days and I have to admit - as a woman - I find it slightly unfair, that the women wear the smallest outfits on the court and the men are allowed to wear long shorts & shirts. And what's the excuse for that? (at least according to one of the commentators) They want to attract more viewers - hello? Woman enjoy a nice view, too
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_love_dc (View Post)
Wow talk about the Olymipics becoming comercial. This is a young girl being told that she is not pretty enough, a little girl, come on. No spirt there I think.
It's been done in the US too. C&C Music Factory did the same thing with their music video for "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)". Gee, you'd think China was the first to do this. I mean, we tell kids every day they aren't pretty enough when you put young kids in pageants and fashion shows and some get picked and some don't. Why do you think all the kids on the talent shows are cute kids that may or may not be good at what they do? Well, they're cute for one...And that's about it. I love people talking about how China's the devil for doing this. We've been doing it for years, too. Pot, meet kettle.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

some of the girls that china has entered dont even look old enough. even the comentators said that a couple of them were without a doubt too young. I think that having the olympics in China was a horrible idea.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Part-Time Fan

And i think Pageants are sick too. I certainly dont see us as being morally above them in that regard, but just because it happens here doesn't make what China did any more acceptable.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe_Tomorrow (View Post)
And i think Pageants are sick too. I certainly dont see us as being morally above them in that regard, but just because it happens here doesn't make what China did any more acceptable.
I'm not saying it makes it acceptable at all, I'm just saying that to me it's hypocritical for so much of the US media to be up in arms when they've been responsible for much of the same thing for years in their own country. All they want is to blacklist China during this games, and not for the right reasons either. No one's saying anything about Tibet when they have to opportunity to do so and instead they talk about underage gymnasts and lip-syncing/
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

I dont think it's just the US media reporting on this. I'm pretty sure it's worldwide knowledge and from the comments i've seen made by Australians, Europeans etc, they all seem disturbed by it too.

Actually, an ITN news reporter had been arrested in Bejing for reporting on a protest about Tibet outside the stadium just a couple of days ago.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisVII (View Post)
some of the girls that china has entered dont even look old enough. even the comentators said that a couple of them were without a doubt too young. I think that having the olympics in China was a horrible idea.
I heard on the news that China seeks out these kids and train them as early as possible to have them ready for these Olympic games, particularly this one since it's being held in China. Some have lived at these training schools since they were 7 years old and are there all week! I really wonder if these kids enjoy doing this in the end.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, again, China doesn't appear to have very many active principles of workers' rights. It doesn't surprise me that children are included in that. Back when "we" (using that in the most general sense of the word to encompass western democracies) had very little workers' rights, we didn't really make a distinction between adults and children either.

A labour force is a labour force.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Slippers (View Post)
The location of this olympics was known long ago. Athletes could have chosen not to participate in an olympics that endorses China's behavior.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Elite Fan

The athletes choosing to go to the Olympics are no different than other people taking opportunities to make money or get recognition even if it's with the enemy, per se. So, I guess Visa, McDonald's and all these other companies are wrong for endorsing the Olympics too? But we're not talking about them, right? The Olympics in a way is a business just like anything else. Ratings are bringing money to the television networks, commercials are getting money endorsing the Olympic and even ticket prices to the games have been inflated. It goes on and on. So, if we're going to judge the athletes then let's take all things into consideration.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Fan

I'm so hooked watching the Olympics, I haven't watched anything this whole week except them. I love watching the swimming, Michael Phelps is such an unbelivable swimmer he is so good. I have became a Italy fan also. So I'm enjoying watching them, I have become a fan of Luca Marin (Italian swimmer). I also follow gymnastics, diving, and beach volleyball.
Ships: Dylan/Kelly, Spike/Buffy, Angel/Buffy, Damon/Elena, Cullen/Lily, James Bond/Vesper Lynd, Captain Hook/Emma Swan, Tony Stark/Pepper Potts, Dante/Lulu, Danny/Michelle, Tony/Marah, Sonny/Claudia, Danny/Samantha, Tyler/Caroline, Tuck/Lauren, Rafe/Sami, Batman/Catwoman