Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe_Tomorrow (View Post)
I have to say that what bothers me the most though, is how people seem to have forgotten the human rights issues and pushed the plight for Tibet aside because of the display Bejing put on. I'm dissapointed in how fickle some people have become.
Hear hear. Tibet still isn't free and I certainly don't hear that the human rights situation in China has gotten any better, so why is anybody watching this genocide olympics?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree that it feels wrong to, in any way, support the Chinese regime.

But, once the Olympics have been given to them... what are the rest of us supposed to do? Not tune in to find out how our athletes are doing? Don't get me wrong, I'm Canadian. We've been pretty much sucking so far. So it's not that hard to not watch for me. I'm not missing anything.

But there are real sporting fans out there, and this is the one competition where, presumably, the best of the best face off.

None of that erases the fact that China should never have, in a million years, been given the Olympics.

But that's out of our hands.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Elite Fan

Again, you have the right to watch or not watch the Olympics. Just because you show support for your country as they are playing doesn't mean you're not aware of the unjustice that's happening. The players aren't responsible for it. They've come to do what they love. Of course we're going to expect violence to go on and people aren't going to agree on things but this is an event that many have waited to see for a long time.

Quote:
Olympic fireworks faked for television. The article is here. Basically, the footprint fireworks weren't real. They were a 3d computer image.
Wow. I guess that was there way to solving the whole smog problem.

I've been really annoyed with the commentators lately. Always talking trash about the team players. I understand "commenting" but sometimes they go too far.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!

Last edited by vc318; 08-11-2008 at 10:13 PM
Old 08-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Slippers (View Post)
Really?

Swimming has been really exciting.
Really I'm figuring it might have something to do with the time difference and all, watching most events in a condensed version instead of live lessens the enjoyment IMO.

I agree that swimming has been really exciting though. Even if our natioanl team isn't doing so well this time.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Master Fan

I don't think the Olympics should be political. The athletes who train their entire life don't have anything to do with the wear the Olympics take place. I don't think there is anything wrong with watching the Olympics to support the athletes from across the world who have been training their entire lives.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe2912 (View Post)
Really I'm figuring it might have something to do with the time difference and all, watching most events in a condensed version instead of live lessens the enjoyment IMO.

I agree that swimming has been really exciting though. Even if our natioanl team isn't doing so well this time.
I'm surprised you have to watch a condensed version. I live in Indiana and they're showing it live here, it's just late at night. The men's and women's swimming finals were at 10:30pm here and I know it continues late into the night. Then, during the day they show condensed recaps and the like, but for the sports I'm interested in, I just stay up late. I've missed the soccer games so far, but I'm enjoying watching swimming. I've never really been interested in it up until now but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Phelps.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

It's now being said that the little girl who performed in the opening ceromony was miming. The girl whose voice it actually was, was apparently deemed not pretty enough. I'll post the article as soon as i can find it again.

eta:Article.

Last edited by Maybe_Tomorrow; 08-12-2008 at 10:29 AM
Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
It's now being said that the little girl who performed in the opening ceromony was miming. The girl whose voice it actually was, was apparently deemed not pretty enough. I'll post the article as soon as i can find it again.

eta:Article.
Oh well, Britney Spears has been lip-synching for years, and in the 80s or 90s there was a music video that came out that had a skinny woman lip-synching to lyrics sung by a larger woman, I honestly can't remember the name of the song or the group, but while I disagree with this type of behavior, I really do think people are searching for ways to hurt China's public image as it is associated with the Olympics in any way possible.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Elite Fan

Wow, Michael Phelps is on a roll! He scored two more golds today and has broken the world record for most medals.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Slippers (View Post)
I don't think the Olympics should be political.
The Olympics have always been political and their intent was political from the start. Politics is part of the olympics and very much part of this cheer-what-China's-doing olympics. I'm not watching.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel (View Post)
I'm surprised you have to watch a condensed version. I live in Indiana and they're showing it live here, it's just late at night. The men's and women's swimming finals were at 10:30pm here and I know it continues late into the night.
Over here in Europe the events start around 3am in the morning and continue during the day. With me being at work all day, most events are over by the time I get home, so I have to rely on the condensed version most of the time. But I'll sure watch some events live on the weekends I managed to watch the decision in the equation competition live last night though
Old 08-13-2008, 03:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think the only sporting events i've watched that is live are rowing and diving. The swimming which i'd love to watch is on the early hours of the morning.

An ITV reporter has been arrested in Bejing for covering a free Tibet rally near the stadium.

Source.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think the only sporting events i've watched that is live are rowing and diving. The swimming which i'd love to watch is on the early hours of the morning.

An ITV reporter has been arrested in Bejing for covering a free Tibet rally near the stadium.

Source.
Things like this really make me wonder why the Olympics are being held in China. What's the next location? Saudi Arabia?

Countries like China don't deserve things like this.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe2912 (View Post)
Over here in Europe the events start around 3am in the morning and continue during the day. With me being at work all day, most events are over by the time I get home, so I have to rely on the condensed version most of the time. But I'll sure watch some events live on the weekends I managed to watch the decision in the equation competition live last night though
Ah, makes sense. We're lucky enough to be far enough behind that we get some coverage of morning events and then later evening events in the evening and morning respectively. So far it's mostly gymnastics, beach volleyball (which I'm not terribly interested in) and swimming with some synchronized diving thrown in here and there.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
The Olympics have always been political and their intent was political from the start. Politics is part of the olympics and very much part of this cheer-what-China's-doing olympics. I'm not watching.
That's your prerogative but you can admit that the location of the olympics has nothing to do with the athletes who participate.