Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Leyki's spoiler review of Angel & Faith # 1 is up

Review, Angel & Faith S10#01 (Where the river meets the sea, Part 1) | Light_Watcher

ETA

Two more A & F # 1 reviews.

http://www.backwardscompatible.co.uk...ason-10-1.html

Review - Angel and Faith; Season 10 #1

Review by Paul Fiander

With the A(ngel) team now on the B(uffy) book it's time for a new team to stamp there mark on this most intriguing of titles. I say intriguing as this book has the potential to maybe eclipse the title it spawned from.

With part of London aptly named "Magic Town" now inhabited by creatures thanks to a mishap in season 9 Angel is having to deal with all manner of creatures great and small. This is where we find our Vamp with a soul, patrolling the streets of London saving the general population from all manner of evil. Angel's ability to use his Vamp skill set make him a formidable foe and it could take a small army to take him down.

As the title suggest this tale concerns two main characters and we find Faith flying out to the states with an old friend in tow. Faith’s part of the story is to deliver a young man to the Scooby Gang without harm, of course this can be difficult in normal terms but when you are a slayer everything is more difficult, especially when your package is much more prized than you are. I hope Faiths story will pick and I see no reason why it would not continue to grow.

The art in the issue is generally very good, the mythical creatures we meet all seem to be well crafted and the character’s likenesses are really expertly demonstrated. Tone in the panels also suggests a London in turmoil, and this is plain to see as Angel does some digging into his new home. As Magic Town is essentially Angel fault you get the idea he feels responsible for it. I can see there could be a new Sherriff in town and he only comes out at night.

For a Season opener this is a great way to start. The two stories are pretty separate but you get the feeling this is a duo who do better when talking is not involved. If the new creators can follow in their predecessor’s vein then the future looks pretty bright for Angel and Faith. I look forward to discovering all that Magic Town has to offer both in terms of allies and enemies and I’m sure they will be a s brutal as they need to be.

Issue Rating 4.5/5

http://www.horrortalk.com/comic-revi...ic-review.html

"Angel & Faith (Season 10) #1" Comic Review

Written by James Ferguson

Written by Victor Gischler
Illustrated by Will Conrad
2014, 26 Pages, $3.50
Comic published on April 2nd, 2014

Review:

After going through the emotional roller coaster of Season 9, Angel and Faith find themselves separated by the Atlantic Ocean. Angel is trying to help clean up the mess in London that was caused by a magic bomb exploding, while Faith is bringing the newly-resurrected and now-teenaged Rupert Giles over to the US to the Scooby Gang with the help of Kennedy and her slayer-for-hire team. Season 10 picks up with these characters now in the hands of writer Victor Gischler and artist Will Conrad. Last season's creative team of Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs have moved over to the main Buffy comic.

While Gischler and Conrad are setting out to do something different with their take on Angel & Faith, they have to first clean up the threads left from the previous tenants. The main storyline through Season 9 was the resurrection of Giles. Although the team succeeded in this task, it's not quite finished, as the Watcher decided he would serve the cause better by Buffy's side. It's a bit of a slap in the face to Angel & Faith, who went through all the trouble to bring the guy back to life. Buffy didn't do a damn thing to help.

Anyway, if you read the first issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer a couple weeks ago, some of these pages will look very familiar. This time you see Faith's perspective of the reunion between the Chosen One and her Watcher. While it was tearful and heartwarming over there, it's rather sad and heartbreaking on this end. Faith had a very different relationship with Giles than what Buffy had. The two of them were united by the fact that they realized there were certain things that needed to be done and Buffy wasn't capable or couldn't bring herself to do them. Think Slayer Black Ops. Giles left his house and all his belongings to Faith when he died. Buffy got the slayer handbook. This is why I'm so shocked that the guy went running back to the blonde. Faith shows this emotion for only a moment in the book, but you get a glimpse into her soul for that brief panel.

On the other end of the world is Angel dealing with a deadly group of pixies. No joke. The big villain for the bulk of this comic is a tiny blue dude that would have hung out with Tinkerbell. He's got a group of other, tiny buddies and they're trying to rule over Magic Town – the area of London still reeling from the effects of the magic bomb that went off at the tail end of Season 9. While these creatures are not at all intimidating at first (OMG! One of them has a sharpened pencil! Look out!), they prove to be rather deadly. I'm not yet convinced though.

Of course, they can't be the “Big Bad” of this season, right? There's a reveal at the end of the issue that I will not spoil here. It wasn't who I was expecting but fortunately I was wrong, as the actual choice provides for much more character development. This turn allows Gischler to pick up a plot thread from Season 9 and expand upon it in a really interesting way.

Will Conrad's artwork is very clean and detailed. His characters are lifelike and he nailed the likenesses of the actors from the TV show. What's fun is watching Angel's journey through the bowels of Magic Town. Conrad fills this with a variety of creatures including a centaur and a bunch of strange looking demons. It shows the wide breadth of inhabitants of this area of London where magic is at its strongest.

What sticks out the most is the emotional beats. That moment I mentioned earlier about the joyous reunion between Buffy and Giles? It's beautiful. There are so many feels. This is immediately juxtaposed by Faith's shocked expression. It's like she was just punched in the gut. All of this is conveyed without a single piece of dialogue. Gischler let's Conrad tell this part of the story and the comic is better off because of it. Words would have ruined this scene. You get so much from each face in these panels. You feel simultaneously happy and betrayed by what's going on as you're seeing both sides of the coin.

I'm excited to see where Angel & Faith goes under new management. I think it will take a few issues for Gischler and Conrad to sort through the remaining plot points from Season 9 before they can really nail down the path they want to take. The pixies took me a bit by surprise, but there's the same real emotion in these pages that previously fueled the book. These characters are deeply flawed, and unlike Buffy they don't have a support system in place in the form of several supportive friends. They're on their own and that's what makes them interesting.

ETA 2

I have my copy of Angel & Faith # 1,"Where The River Meets The Sea Part I"

Last season,I thought Angel & Faith was by far the superior title over Buffy.Going into this season,I had some reservations though.

1)I thought Angel & Faith had the perfect parting of the ways and and to the storyline thus I was expecting a new second monthly in season 10 and not Angel & Faith again.I didn't see a reason for Angel & Faith to continue.

2)The creative team from last season would be moving to Buffy and they were a big reason I thought this book was so stellar last season.Granted that was a trade off I was willing to make since I was hoping Gage and Isaacs would move to Buffy.

3)The setup for Angel & Faith last season was so juicy with dealing with the aftermath of Twilight and the mission to resurrect Giles.The setup for Angel & Faith this season didn't have as much ommph to me.Angel as sheriff of Magic Town with Faith elsewhere and no clear idea of what her story would be.

So going into this issue I had misgivings.I liked Victor Gischler's work on Spike:A Dark Place last season and was famillar with Will Conrad's art but the excitement level for me wasn't there gojng in vs. last season going in.

Based off this first issue though I think this is off to a good start.VG seems to have a handle on the voices and WC art was good and gve a noir feel which works for me.I think the setup with Magic Town is interesting although I need to see more to really determine where this is going.I thought the pixes were creepy and liked how they kept calling Angel a Yank when as he points out that he is Irish.The last page reveal with Nadira wasn't a real surprise since info on upcoming issues gave away her appearance and that she has a role to play.Whether it's as a ally or enemie isn't clear yet but I'm interested to see where that goes and how her new form has changed her.

The Faith part of this issue, doesn't really give strong direction where her story is going yet.I did like how this issue intersected with Buffy # 1 and showed the Giles reunjion with Buffy and the Scoobies from Faith's pont of view.I do like this sort of crossover and hope we get more occasionally throughout the season but I'm a little iffy on keeping Angel and Faith's story this separated in this title.It will be fine for a while but I have to think eventually we'll see their stories work there way back to each other otherwise why have a Angel & Faith monthly and not just a Angel book and a Faith book(or miniseries).

But I did like this issue and thought it was a good start to the season.

Last edited by comic fan; 04-02-2014 at 10:42 AM
comic fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Addicted Fan

Full Victor Gischler Slayalive Q/A For Angel & Faith # 1.

Spoilers *COMPLETE* Q&A with Victor Gischler for Angel & Faith #1
Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the news.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Review: Angel and Faith Season 10 #1 - Comic Book Resources

Angel and Faith Season 10 #1

by Marykate Jasper, Reviewer

Season 10 of "Angel and Faith" is off to a solid start, even with a mixed bag of an issue. With new creative team Victor Gischler and Will Conrad and a new status quo for the universe, this #1 had to be a workhorse -- and it can sometimes feel workmanlike as a result. Still, Gischler and Conrad have to do the legwork of extricating "Angel and Faith" from the "Buffy" storylines in order to make this series unique, and they get the job done here. With a promising sense of drama and pacing, they look well-equipped to take "Angel and Faith" forward.

Writer Victor Gischler takes over "Angel and Faith" from Christos Gage, who's now working on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10." As a result, "Angel and Faith Season 10" feels quite different from the first run of the book. It's not worse, and he's got a fine grasp of Whedonverse dialogue, but the jump between the two was jarring for the first few pages. Conrad's art is solid, and Madsen's colors feel very appropriate for the world, so all-in-all they have the feel of "Angel and Faith" set.

Plot-wise, Angel is off in Magic Town in London, trying to control the chaos unleashed there, while Faith has her own mission to take care of. There isn't always a clear transition between the two different storylines, and that is probably the book's weakest point. Some clearer labeling could provide a quick fix for this as the series progresses. I understand that it's meant to feel like one book, but if it's going to tell two different stories, the reader needs some cues to better follow the narrative beats.

The creative team makes the most of the moments they're given. For the sake of the two-series plan, it's clear that Giles is going to be handed off to Buffy and the other Scoobies. Gischler mines this necessary plot point for dramatic tension and emotional impact. Giles runs from Faith, who resurrected him, to share a tearful embrace with Buffy. It's a poignant second-best moment for a character who's always treated as second fiddle to the one true Slayer, and both Gischler and Conrad portray Faith's emotion well. At other points, Conrad's facial expressions don't read as clearly, but he nails it when it counts.

Still, Angel's section felt generic. I do love the horrifying character design of the pixies, all nasty little mouths and claws with wings, but their interactions with Angel don't make full use of the possibilities that Magic Town provides. This is a baddie-of-the-week interplay that any fan of "Buffy" or other supernatural fiction will have seen before. This is not to say it's not poorly done; the beats are well-placed, and the plot moves smoothly. However, given the general premise (and that fantastic cover by Scott Fischer), I was hoping that the creative team would dive into Magic Town a bit more.

"Angel and Faith Season 10" #1 achieves its purpose in that it sets up a status quo and defines itself against the "Buffy" side of this multi-series universe. Now that it's free to develop its own stories, it will feel less like an offshoot of "Buffy" and more like its own animal.

ETA

Interview with Victor Gischler.

http://www.freaksugar.com/victor-gis...ith-season-10/

Victor Gischler On Angel & Faith Season 10

Steve Ekstrom
April 3, 201

This week fans of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer extended universe were treated to the release of Angel & Faith Season 10 #1 from Dark Horse Comics. The new “season” of the project, hot on the heels of writer Christos Gage’s run on the book, features Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse writer, Victor Gischler. Featuring art by Will Conrad, the newest arc of this popular spin-off project separately explores Angel and Faith at end of the previous arc in Season 9 and will further both of the characters individually in lieu of their split at end of the previous arc in Season 9.

I contacted Victor Gischler to discuss the start of Season 10 as well as discuss the challenges of working with wildly iconic characters from a successful television franchise.

Freak Sugar: Buffy fans are champing at the bit for the launch of Angel & Faith Season 10 from Dark Horse Comics. The last thing readers experienced was the break-up of Faith and Angel with Faith leaving for California and Angel staying behind in the strange Magic Town. What sort of set-up can you give fans? How long-lasting will the effects of their break-up be on the series?

Victor Gischler: Faith really grew as a character last season, so it’s important that we respect that. This means she needs here own space…at least for a while. So in Angel and Faith #1 we pick up with her in California, and from there, readers will follower her as she makes various decisions and tries to figure out where she fits in the world. How long will this last…well, who knows? Readers need to stay tuned to see where paths lead our characters.

FS: You’ve picked up the ball where writers Christos Gage has left off. What sorts of threads were you immediately attracted to in his run on the book? Do you plan to leave lots of “moving parts” in your run to create tangible threads for the next writer who will take your place? How much of that is intentional?

Gischler: That sort of stuff is always on my mind, but I think much of it needs to happen organically. I don’t spend a lot of time thinking, “Here’s a thread I’ll plant for the next writer…” but these sort of things always seem to happen on their own, so I’m not worried. I think when writers do their best to make the characters as real as possible, the “moving parts” mostly evolve on their own. Gage really left me in a good place. We pick up with Angel in Magic Town, a place that exists because Gage arranged it. So much cool potential.

FS: How does Scott Allie’s role as Editor come into play with your work on Faith & Angel? Is he fairly “hands-on” or is he more of a “stand back and let you lead” type of presence? In your experience, can editors hinder the creative process or are they ultimately an important necessity for a project to succeed?

Gischler: I couldn’t do it without Scott. He really has his finger on the pulse of the Buffy-verse. He is full of good ideas and steers me away from my bad ideas. The book is really a team effort.

FS: What are some of the challenges of working with concepts like magic? When you’re working with an iconic licensed property like the Buffy-verse, are there structured rules for the way concepts like magic interact with the reality of the fictional landscape? Or do you get to expand things in a wildly creative fashion?

Gischler: Funny you should mention that because “New Rules” is the tag line for the season. Keep an eye on magic this season. It’s going to be fun. Don’t want to get spoilery, but, yeah, I’ve been having some fun experimenting.

FS: How has Faith grown as a character now that she’s moved on to California?

Gischler: Growth is what makes her think she maybe needs a little time off from Angel to feel what it’s like to be a solo act…California just happened to be an opportunity. But she’s still growing, still discovering things.

FS: Angel stayed in “Magic Town”. Will his adventures lead to the more normal spots around London or even England?

Gischler: Now and then, but the focus is Magic Town because that’s the place that needs him.

FS: In your mind, what’s Angel’s biggest strength? His biggest flaw? How do you connect with his character when you are scripting the story?

Gischler: I’m tempted to say that his sense of responsibility is both his strength and his flaw. It certainly keeps him busy. In a way, I try to dis-connect with him when scripting. I’m such a fan of all these characters that it’s tempting just to make them look cool for 22 pages and call it a day. But, naturally, we have to drop them into the hot soup and see how they get out of it.

FS: What are some of your personal challenges when you are approaching something that’s incredibly iconic? Can the iconicism of an intellectual property like the Buffy-verse get in it’s own way at times in terms of continuity at creating an expanded universe through comics?

Gischler: Well, I’m a fan of the show and a fan of the characters. And man…that was just NOT good enough. I found myself constantly going back to the show or previous seasons of the comic to remind myself of things. Just because I’m a fan does not mean I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the entire history of the Buffy-verse. Thank God for Netflix and the Dark Horse digital store.

FS: Can that become taxing or frustrating from a creative strand-point? Noodling through nuances as a fan and as a creator?

Gischler: Not taxing because it’s such good material. But it can be a time suck, and it turns out these comics come out EVERY MONTH! SO BUSY!!! (laughs)

FS: You aren’t a stranger to the realm of supernatural genre writing. What is the biggest draw for you creatively when it comes to supernatural subject matter?

Gischler: Fun toys to play with. Magic! Spells! Monsters! The focus needs to be on the characters, but the toys are fun too.

FS: What other projects are you working on currently? Also, where can fans expect to see you this convention season? What do you think about the fans of the Buffy-verse?

Gischler: Still not sure about convention stops. Generally, I just show up wherever invited if it fits in my schedule. But in addition to Angel & Faith fun, I have a book coming out this summer called Sally of the Wasteland from Titan Comics, and my epic fantasy novel Ink Mage is on sale now as an eBook on Amazon and the paperback hits later this month.

Last edited by comic fan; 04-04-2014 at 11:35 AM
Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 2.

Preview: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 - Comic Book Resources

EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: Yost & Isaacs "Buffy: Season 10" #2

Buffy revisits past relationships in CBR's exclusive preview of Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs' "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #2!

The Scoobies are back—including li’l Giles! Revelations about a new kind of vampire menace and the blank Vampyr book have only just begun. Everyone has a job to do, and for Buffy, it’s treading the road of past relationships! Lucky girl . . .

Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Addicted Fan

Scott Allie tweeted another panel.for Buffy # 2

https://twitter.com/ScottAllie/statu...710592/photo/1

Scott Allie‏@ScottAllie ·
Love the coloring in this panel by Dan Jackson for @rebekahisaacs pic.twitter.com/tLIrWNTKap

Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Addicted Fan

Wonder Con variant covers for Buffy # 1 and Angel & Faith # 1.

Dark Horse Announces Exclusive Wondercon Variants! :: Blog :: Dark Horse Comics

Dark Horse Announces Exclusive Wondercon Variants!

04/10/2014

As the pop culture world gears up for this year’s WonderCon in Anaheim, CA, Dark Horse announces two special variant covers for this year’s show!

First up, Dark Horse brings an all-new variant cover for a critical hit and fan favorite, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with an exclusive Season Ten first-issue cover by Tomb Raider art director Brian Horton! Limited to 1,000 copies, these are sure to be scarce!

Second is a variant for Angel & Faith Season Ten #1, by Buffy cover artist Steve Morris! Again, with only 500 copies produced, these will go fast!

Old 04-11-2014, 04:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the news.
Lil` Giles how cute
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by Code Green~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Addicted Fan

Wonder Con 2014 Panels.

Friday | Comic-Con International: San Diego

Firefly and Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Delving into the Whedonverse Series Artist Georges Jeanty

WonderCon Anaheim special guest Georges Jeanty takes you on intimate journeys through the lives of the crew of the Serenity as well as the Scoobys as they continued in the Dark Horse titles of these cult hit shows. Anyone interested in the Whedonverse, this panel is for you! Georges will be discussing his 20 years in the comic industry and talking about working with series creator Joss Whedon with stories and a Q&A about how seasons 8 and 9 came together...and maybe a little sing-along!

Friday April 18, 2014 4:30pm - 5:30pm
Room 203

Dark Horse: Whedonversity

Dark Horse's continuation of Joss Whedon's cult favorites ( Serenity, Buffy, Angel & Faith) remain some of the most talked-about comics in today's market. Dark Horse and WonderCon Anaheim are giving you an exclusive chance to hear all there is to tell about the upcoming arcs of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Serenity from the creative teams themselves! Join Dark Horse, along with Buffy Season 10 writer Christos Gage, Serenity writer Zack Whedon, artist Georges Jeanty, and maybe a few surprise guests for what is guaranteed to be one panel you don't wanna miss!

Sunday April 20, 2014 1:30pm - 2:30pm
Room 213
Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Dark Horse July 2014 Solicitations

"Aw Yeah Comics," "Groo Vs Conan" & More in Dark Horse's July 2014 Solicitations - Comic Book Resources

Angel & Faith Season 10 #4

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), Scott Fischer (Cover), and Chris Samnee and Jordie Bellaire (Variant cover)
On sale July 2
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing

Angel’s taking some beatings in Magic Town, while Faith is dishing them out, whether they’re deserved or not. The two remain a world apart, dealing with a demonic rock god and a city preyed on by the magical powers exploding inside it.

• Will Conrad (Serenity) returns to the Whedonverse!
• Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #5

Christos Gage (W), Nicholas Brendon (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)
On sale July 23
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing

When Buffy and crew try to wrest Xander from Dracula’s control, they begin a battle supreme with the terrifying demon that Dracula has become .
. .
• Nicholas Brendon joins the writing team!
• The team from Angel & Faith takes over Buffy!

“Another fantastic addition to the series.” —Newsarama

Old 04-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Addicted Fan

CBR has been recording today's Whedonversity Panel live at Wonder Con 2014.It's finished now and here's the whole report.

WC14: Inside Dark Horse's "Whedonversity" with "Buffy" and "Serenity" - Comic Book Resources

WC14: Inside Dark Horse's "Whedonversity" with "Buffy" and "Serenity"

"Buffy Season 10" writer Christos Gage and the "Serenity: Leaves on the Wind" team of Zack Whedon and Georges Jeanty talk the Whedonverse at WonderCon

Albert Ching, Senior Editor

It's Easter Sunday at WonderCon in Anaheim, California, and Dark Horse Comics wraps up their programming slate with a "Whedonversity" panel, focused on the latest in-canon continuations of Joss Whedon's beloved TV shows: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10," "Angel & Faith Season 10" and "Serenity: Leaves on the Wind."

Scheduled to be in attendance: "Buffy Season 10" writer Christos Gage, and the "Serenity: Leaves on the Wind" creative team of writer Zack Whedon and artist Georges Jeanty. The panel's scheduled to start around 1:30 p.m. Pacific time, and CBR will be reporting live -- so keep hitting refresh for the latest details, straight from the Anaheim Convention Center.

Panel moderator Brian Walton (editor of Nerdist) began the panel by asking the participants how big of "Buffy" fans they were when the show was on -- both Gage and Jeanty said they didn't watch it when it aired, and became fans upon being involved in the comics. "I was in an episode," Whedon added. "I played a bald, homeless teen in the season three premiere."

Answering how he approached season 10, Gage said, "Something new and interesting is happening to vampires," and that he didn't feel the need to depart too drastically from the previous volume. "Fans seemed to enjoy what was going on. It was more, 'What do we want to do that we think is going to be cool?'"

For "Serenity," Whedon said he had a conversation with his brother about directions to take the book, and that he's planting seeds for a follow-up after the "Leaves on the Wind" miniseries wraps. "I made a deliberate effort with the sixth issues to close things off, but to also tee a lot of things up so that another writer could take it and run with it. I don't know who that would be, but I hope somebody does it."

Speaking more on "Buffy Season 10," "The core Scoobys haven't really all been together for an extended season since season six of the show," Gage said, adding that it was "really exciting" to bring them back together. Gage said it was all Joss's idea to put Giles in the body of his 12-year-old self.

Gage said that Nicholas Brendon -- Xander himself, and a Season 10 contributor -- was at the Season 10 creative summit, and suggested, "We have to make sure that Giles has a real problem with raging boners all the time." Gage said that Season 10 will include a major set-piece devised by Brendon.

Jeanty discussed bringing authenticity to illustrating the Whedonverse. "When I was doing 'Buffy,' I was always referring to a particular episode, or making sure 'Buffy' was in my head."

Asked about the reaction the panel has received from the famously passionate Whedon fans, Jeanty joked, "I think the biggest disappointment is that Spike and Angel aren't gay lovers in reality. I remember a lot of fan fiction going in that direction." Gage said he didn't know what "shipping" was before he wrote "Angel & Faith" -- and that he explained it to Brendon, and informed him of Xander/Spike shippers.

"This is really my first opportunity to engage with the fans since the 'Serenity' comic came out, so I don't really know if people are pissed off or not," Whedon said.

First fan question asked what the panel thought of Dawn. Jeanty said he doesn't necessarily understand the negativity to the character. "I ended up really liking Dawn. Her maturity in Season 8 and 9, to me, has vindicated anything she was before." Gage said he likes Xander and Dawn as a couple, but clarified, "that dosn't mean I'm not going to do terrible things to them as couple."

"I always liked Dawn," Whedon said. "I thought that it was brilliant that the show came back, and suddenly there was a character there that everybody was acting like was there always. I hadn't seen that on television, and haven't seen that since."

An audience member asked if "Leaves on the Wind" will continue past issue #6, and Whedon, who has a full schedule writing for TV, again indicated that he'd like for another writer to continue where he leaves off -- suggesting it was unlikely there will be more "Serenity" written by him in the near future. Whedon also said that he made the conscious decision to not incorporate cursing in Chinese into the comic, since he felt it didn't work in a comic like it did in live action.

Whedon was asked to comment on his experience working on "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog." "The whole thing was a lot of fun," he said, adding that it was a bigger production than he originally anticipated. "It was a ton of fun to write. It was so goofy, and we got to be so ridiculous. Before then I had been working for David Milch on 'Deadwood' and 'John From Cincinnati,' and there's not a lot of goofiness there. To be able to be so absurd with the writing and the comedy was just so refreshing."

A fan asked if Dawn will continue Xander's unlucky streak, and be revealed as an evil demon. Gage said she's not a demon, but there will be complications in their relationship.

Will there be character-focused one-shots or miniseries as part of "Buffy" season 10? "As I understand it, there are no plans for ancillary miniseries this time around," Gage said. "Instead we are extending the seasons -- last time around they were 25 issues, now they're 30." Dark Horse publicist Aub Driver pointed out that Spike actor James Marsters is writing a "Spike" original graphic novel out in July.

Whedon on the differences between writing TV and comics: "In an issue of the comics, I'm trying to cram a lot of story into a much smaller space. We're covering a lot of ground really quickly, and that can be a challenge, but also a lot of fun." He also enjoys the lack of budget restraints. "If I can think of it, I can make it happen. It's liberating in that regard."

Gage added that one of the great things about writing for actors is when you can be a little subtler, and Jeanty and "Buffy" artist Rebekah Isaacs both have the ability to capture that element in a comic book.

Asked about dealing with fan reaction, Gage said he's usually so far ahead, that he doesn't really have the ability to adjust to account for fan reaction -- and being too concerned with how the story will be received would weaken the final product. Gage said for the most part, "even when [fans are] unhappy with something, they come at it from a respectful way."

For the final question of the panel, Gage was asked to describe "Buffy Season 10" in three words. He chose "Family" and "growing up," saying that by "family" he means "the people you choose to be your family." "We got them all back together, and this is not the time to do the alien invasion storyline" -- it's time to explore why they relate to each other, he said, and what makes it work.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Addicted Fan

First advanced and spoilerish review for Buffy # 2.

ADVANCED Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 - Comic Book Therapy

ADVANCED Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2

by Kevin Finnigan

While Dark Horse has been touting that Buffy is going “back to the basics,” Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 shows that embracing the basics and building upon them is better. And that’s a great thing for us readers.

Christos Gage uses the illusion of going back to basics throughout #2. The ol’ Scooby Gang is back together and looking to Giles for help on a new situation that they can’t seem to tackle. But that’s not the case anymore. Giles makes it abruptly clear that they need to figure things out for themselves now. This is something we saw in the latter seasons of the TV show, but Gage gives it a nice twist with Buffy jumping in without hesitation. I always appreciated Giles father figure like role on the show and understood why he left for England in the later seasons, but his sudden confession about not wanting to be in the role didn’t fit right with the scene. You want to be back, but don’t want to be useful? It just doesn’t work with what we know about the character, even with his new teenage body. If this streak continues, we’ll see him heading back to Angel in London where he won’t have anything to do either.

The rest of the issue was entertaining as hell. I liked that Gage sent Faith off on her own as her presence in this book was burden on Angel & Faith #1. Buffy’s never ending love problems were missed severely in Season 9. Her “breakup” with Dowling shows that we have a more mature Buffy on our hands, but having it occur so early in the season almost guarantees that something will be happening between these two before long. I’m glad that Xander and Dawn are finally doing something about their relationship. Xander was in borderline limbo last season, as the character didn’t really have much to do. Gage’s character work really brings him back to the character we knew from the TV show and season 8. The humor is back, but is mostly there when Xander is anxious or nervous about something. That character trait was one of the things that made Xander a constant favorite for me when watching the TV seasons. Gage fits a surprising amount into 24 pages, with every character getting enough time to shine. I’m not too surprised as Gage has always been a effective in spinning lots of plates at once.

What is there to say about Rebekah Isaacs artwork that I haven’t said a thousand times before in other reviews? She is a powerhouse on this title. Characters constantly capture the look of the actors while bring the characters to life in her own way. Buffy’s shock at Dowling agreeing with them not being an item was hysterical. Truly less is more in this case. Isaacs’ inks are stellar in this issue as she nails one of the hardest inking jobs in comics; inking Spike’s incredible cheek bones. James Marsters’ (Spike). They are a key feature but can make Spike’s face look skeletal if the inks are too heavy. But I compared the panels to Marsters in costume and it looked perfect.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 gets 4/5.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Addicted Fan

Second advanced review for Buffy # 2.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 Review | Unleash The Fanboy

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #2 Review

By John McCubbin on Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014

Will Buffy and the gang manage to stop these super vamps? Read on to find out.

The official description from Dark Horse:

The Scoobies are back—including li’l Giles! Revelations about a new kind of vampire menace and the blank Vampyr book have only just begun. Everyone has a job to do, and for Buffy, it’s treading the road of past relationships! Lucky girl . . .

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 got off to a fantastic start with the introduction of super vamps and “New Rules” for the supernatural community shaking things up. The fight between Buffy’s gang and the super vamps continues straight from where #1 left off, though unfortunately it does end rather sudden and prematurely.

Christos Gage gives a fabulous continuation to the first issue as despite the sudden ending to the super vamp fight there’s not really much to dislike. The thing I loved most about the script had to be the way that each member of Buffy’s vast cast managed to get some time to shine as the issue never focused on one character in particular. The transition between these sequences was on the other hand not as smooth as I’d have hopped with it feeling a bit jumbled at times. Gage does however give great dialogue and character interaction with this more than making up for the awkward transitions.

Rebekah Isaacs produces yet more beautiful art with her fun style being truly astonishing. The sheer detail of her art along with the dynamic layouts really help cement the quality of her work with it giving a stunning look and feel to the series. She also produces intense action which is simply awe-inspiring, adding a lot of excitement to the opening of this issue. It is however the charm and overall emotion that she adds to the characters that I love the most with it giving a realistic feel to the story. To top things off we also get vibrant colours from Dan Jackson as well as a spectacular cover from Steve Morris.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 continues to be a fantastic continuation to the Buffyverse as although there’s still things to be worked on it’s proving to be a thoroughly enjoyable series. Highly recommended

OUR RATING
+ Christos Gage continues to give a magical Buffy tale.
+ Beautiful artwork from Rebekah Isaacs.
+ Every character has their moment to shine.
- Fight ends pretty suddenly
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the latest news.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 PM
Addicted Fan

C2E2 2014 variant cover for Buffy # 2

Dark Horse Unveils C2E2-Exclusive "Buffy" and "Tomb Raider" Variant Covers - Comic Book Resources

Dark Horse Unveils C2E2-Exclusive "Buffy" and "Tomb Raider" Variant Covers

Dark Horse will offer convention-specific variant covers by Aly Fell and Andy Park this weekend in Chicago, and CBR has the exclusive first look.

Albert Ching, Senior Editor

Convention season continues this weekend with C2E2 in Chicago, and Dark Horse Comics will offer show-specific versions of "Tomb Raider" #1 and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #2 with new variant covers by Andy Park and Aly Fell, respectively -- and CBR has the exclusive first look at both.

Park, who as of late has worked extensively as a concept artist at Marvel Studios, has a history with "Tomb Raider," illustrating the 1999 adaptation for Top Cow Productions. Fell is a relative newcomer to comic books, and has a project at Dark Horse that will be announced at C2E2 -- keep reading CBR for on that front.

ETA 2

Leyki's review of Buffy # 2.

http://leykimayri.wordpress.com/2014...rules-part-2//

Last edited by comic fan; 04-22-2014 at 04:11 PM
Reply   Post New Thread