Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Master Fan

I'd like to see him rebuild a relationship with his daughter.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Janice~ (View Post)
I'd like to see him rebuild a relationship with his daughter.
Maybe they can finally finish their chess game.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiesocks (View Post)
The story of Jack Bauer is tragic and sadly I don't think he will ever get a happy ending.
I agree but I guess that's part of his character.
This season was hard for me to finish off as I feel there was a real negative end for all the other characters also. The writers kill of family and friends and destroy lives of everyone and I don't know - it was a little too much for me this time. Sure, Jack's life gets destroyed but every character of 24? Not sure.

Not even sure what I'm trying to say here but it didn't sit right with me... Although, Jack flying off to Russia was indeed fitting.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Absolute Fan

well we know jack, chloe and kates lives can get better if they do another series. heller is pretty much screwed any way you think of it.

at least chloe knows the government isn't to blame for morris and prescotts deaths, and more importantly, that means shy be extension, isn't to blame either.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney92 (View Post)
Hi everyone - I'm a long time lurker of these boards and post a bit over on the 24spoilers site but feel I need some discussion regarding last night's episode.

I’ve been thinking about the finale for 24 hours now and I still have such conflicted feelings – I think it will always be like that.

Jack does succeed in saving the country/countries as seems to be his life purpose. He does go to Russia to willingly and happily pay for his sins – the sins that landed him there but also symbolic of all of his sins and the death and destruction that seems to follow him around. The Chloe/Jack moment at the end was beautiful but no more beautiful than the similar moment in S8. I appreciate that it was his last sacrifice, for his friend but the moment didn’t hold enough significance for me to change the mood from everyone else’s storylines…

I did not enjoy how season 9 officially screwed every single character. Jack is more heartbroken than ever especially as he told Audrey he wanted to rescue Heller “for her” – well he sure did but Heller’s going to die soon anyway and oops, now Audrey is also dead. Chloe is alive sure but she has a dead husband, child and no life to run back to. Audrey is dead – I think her character deserved better than a rushed, meaningless, illogical, emotional ploy of a death. Getting one last phone call with Jack was important for Jack’s character but for Audrey, although seeing Jack again I’m sure was amazing for her – not worth dying for. Mark (I’m not saying I was a fan) actually wasn’t that “bad” but now he was a dead wife he loved and is up for treason charges for a country he loves. Heller has a dead child and his Alzheimers will ruin him sooner rather than later, and I bet he is willing it to because of the pain he’s in re. Audrey. Kate who was only introduced this season didn’t escape heartbreak as her husband’s storyline was woven in, a friend died, she was betrayed by another friend, she couldn’t save Audrey for Jack or for Heller or for the USA (Who I’m sure would be rocked by her death – as any president’s child dying would in our society)…

So, I really did enjoy this season. I will always maintain that 24 is filled with action and suspense and is not like any other show, even though you sometimes have to excuse the recycled storylines and insanity of some plot lines (we love it, come on). I really feel like they killed all hope this season and whilst a lot of characters did get closure, it was worse than the open endedness (before S9 I imagined Heller for example as a powerful politician still or retired but still powerful with a probably recovered daughter) left by previous seasons…

It is so integral that Jack is “superhuman” and can handle personal loss after loss after loss yet still come back to save the country for the greater good but the other characters don’t possess this (That’s what makes Jack who he is) so to see all of them burned to the ground in one way or another was a little heartbreaking for a non superhuman audience.

Welcome to the board and we all hope to see you post here more! thanks for coming out of lurking status to make your post!

It does seem like Jack's life service is to keep saving the country regardless of how wrong of the stake he always ends up on. No matter how much good that he does, it feels like he's cursed... [not his fault] like everybody he gets attached to will eventually die.

I said this since Season 2 and I'd say it now, I truly think every single death Jack deals with hurts him to the core and it just feels worst and worst each time but as long as Kim Bauer is living, he'd still have something to keep living on for, a purpose for wanting to live.

I loved Tony character a lot because I think he was a very realistic character, he followed rules but he broke it for those he loved [Michelle] and we didn't really know much about Tony's family [which I wish we could've learned more from] but we did know he trusted in Nina Myers and she was a mole, and that obviously gave him some trust issues but then Michelle entered his life, he fell in love with her and she became his whole world. He'd literally do anything for her, even though at times they had odds, their love was always there.

When Michelle died, Tony had nothing left to live for... their was nothing anybody could do to Tony which made him [to me] an even more dangerous villain, because when you basically have nothing anybody could use against them, the tougher the bring down will be. It's like Stephen Saunders during Season 3, he was so evil and was just out for revenge, especially to CTU because of past issues but his weakness was his daughter Jane Sauders...

With Tony he basically had no one, and then to find out that Michelle was pregnant when she died just made that wound deeper.

Now Jack on the other hand, although he lost so much, more then most humans could deal with before going mentally crazy or just having a complete break down. lol Knowing that he still has a daughter Kim Bauer, and as well as a grand-daughter Teri. He still has something to keep going for. Also he has a best friend in Chloe, so regardless of all the pain he dealt with , he does still have somebody.

Also I agree with you with Audrey and Mark, Mark wasn't my favorite character but in the end [because of some of his idiocy] he loss a lot at the end of the day and will pay for it in more ways then one.

Audrey seem to only have been brought into the season for she could die and Jack could lose every love interest he ever was involved with.... just sad.
Amazing to think that only three of Jack love interest from the past are still living [Kate Warner, Marilyn Bauer, Diane Huxley].. and of course it's the one Jack didn't love/care for as much as Teri, Renee and Audrey. Can't get too attached ladies.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Absolute Fan

i think jack would be crushed if he lost kim and chloe and then he would just give up.

i still don't get why they dumped kate warner..........i really loved them together during that short time.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
[Kate Warner, Marilyn Bauer, Diane Huxley]
Not exactly love interests, right

But, yeah, I agree with you Tia, Jack still has Kim and Teri. Some people thought Jack was about to take his on life when he heard about Audrey. I think he might've really done that if it had been Kim

Quote:
I loved Tony character a lot because I think he was a very realistic character, he followed rules but he broke it for those he loved [Michelle] and we didn't really know much about Tony's family [which I wish we could've learned more from] but we did know he trusted in Nina Myers and she was a mole, and that obviously gave him some trust issues but then Michelle entered his life, he fell in love with her and she became his whole world. He'd literally do anything for her, even though at times they had odds, their love was always there.
Ugh those were the happiest times, weren't they
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorchel7411 (View Post)
i think jack would be crushed if he lost kim and chloe and then he would just give up.

i still don't get why they dumped kate warner..........i really loved them together during that short time.

I agree... that would probably just finally put Jack in another mental state.
He just can't lose Kim, as long as he has Kim, everything will be alright.

Well I didn't ship them so I can't say I was really that broken up about it. BUT I disliked the way they were written, no reason to have a Jack/Kate scene at the beginning of Season 3 if nothing was going to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Chambers (View Post)
Not exactly love interests, right

But, yeah, I agree with you Tia, Jack still has Kim and Teri. Some people thought Jack was about to take his on life when he heard about Audrey. I think he might've really done that if it had been Kim

Ugh those were the happiest times, weren't they

I guess we know who you didn't like with Jack.
I really didn't like anyone with Jack that much, the closes it came for me was Renee. I just loved all of their scenes and if Nina wasn't so evil, I would've probably ship her with Jack. lol

I think I just always like those who I believe can truly stand with Jack, without judging him or anything.

Those sure were, after Tony/Michelle ship sealed, I knew there was no hope for any other 24 pairing. I mean they were literally the main 24 couple so it was just... upsetting and I'm still not over it.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM
Elite Fan

Right, now firstly HOORAY I CAN POST AGAIN

I have so much to say... so much that in processing the things I want to say, I'm forgetting other things I want to say. So much going round my head at the moment. So what I'll do, is write my thoughts, then watch the episode again and type up my thoughts that I'd forgotten, whilst probably covering the same ground I'd already mentioned...

That was the texbook definition of a million dollar move with a ten cent finish. And I know it isn't a popular opinion just by reading the comments on here, but I thought everything up to the last ad break was absolutely amazing. Superb. I'm talking Season 5 type amazing. Just such a great first half hour or so. The acting was immense.

As vile as Cheng is, he was a great villain and did his bit brilliantly... still hate him though. Audrey's death was superb, really didn't see it coming, though when Kate told Audrey to move, my heart was going, then when Kate started shooting and told Audrey to go hide, my heart was going and then just when I thought she was out of the woods, they pull the rug out from under me. Really didn't see it coming, though of course Cheng would have a backup. So I thought that was a magnificent scene.

Then that scene when Jack is told was just amazing... Kiefer is one of if not the best actor in the world, I'm sorry but he is. No other actor, imo, tell so much without saying a single word in the same way that Kiefer can. He told more in those 30 seconds, then actors have in an episode full of dialogue. So full probs to Kiefer, and then the rage... THE RAGE! That has got to have been one of the most awesome rampage that Jack has ever been on- the cleaver to the heart, the knife to the throat then beheading Cheng was just so totally awesome. And that all happened in my hometown of Southampton! I was probably there when Jack found out about Audrey! TV History was held in my city! Buzzing! (Although, there is no way- no way at all- you can get from Knightsbridge to Southampton in a car in the space of 10 minutes! Its at least an hour and a half, probably more!)

So then we get the phonecall. Chloe's gone and we get a phonecall from an anonymous person. We see a look of shock on Jack's face. And then it goes to a break. Now at this point me and my brother are practically jumping up and down as we were convinced it was about to go down as I'd been predicting for months: The return of Tony.

Then cardinal sin part 1: TIME JUMP!?!?!?!?!?!? MID EPISODE TIME JUMP?!?!?!??!?!? They have just destroyed the whole premise of the show in one swift swoop. 24. The show that is set in real time, over 24 hours. So a time jump mid episode that goes forward 12 hours, is not real time! But they promised time jumps, had no idea how to legitimately use them in a plausible fashion and thought they would tag one on the end for the hell of it! Disgraceful. It would have been so much better to either do 24 episodes, do 12 then another 12 in six months to complete the day, do time jumps throughout the season and skip hours like they originally promised or do it over 12 hours. Might not be 24 hours, but at least it would still be in real time. Kiefer always has said that the clock, and not him, is the star of the show, and now they've just messed around with it. Not happy.

Then a second cardinal sin: You do a big leading phone conversation, you keep the identity of the person a secret even when Jack initially arrives and you make a large portion of the audience dare to dream that it could be Tony... then its some random Russian guy?! Total rip off. Especially with the feature on the dvd- it could be Jack meeting Tony at a warehouse somewhere setting up Season 10, then have the scene on the dvd be how he did it: Pardon, escape?

Then a third cardinal sin: Instead of doing a fresh, new ending that they've never done before, like bring Tony back in a shock development to set up a 10th season, they decide to... do Season 5 ending all over again just not as good.

The two saving graces of the ending: Heller's scene with Davies was sublime (Props to Devane who has been outstanding all season). And there will be a Season 10, as the last shot of 24 is not going to be Jack being sent to Russian prison. No way. So the show will be back. I'd imagine they'll announce Season 10 at Comic Con, hopefully a full length season in January 2015.

I have so much more to say. But I need to watch it again.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Tim, how are you surprised with the time jump? I think it was all figured out last week that the finale 15-10 minutes would get skipped to the morning time. It still covered all 24 hours without covering it. I really didn't mind that much, because it worked. The only other way the jump time would've worked is if they split the 24 hours into two halfs of the season like the first 6 hours 11AM-4PM and the second half being 6AM - 11AM. Or they could've made Audrey die last episode and do the time jump during the season finale, while would've been 10AM - 11AM...

Everyhing would've been light though, we wouldn't have gotten any night time.

I'm with you on wanting a full 24 season!

Also I'm happy that you can finally post again.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal◘fate (View Post)
Tim, how are you surprised with the time jump? I think it was all figured out last week that the finale 15-10 minutes would get skipped to the morning time. It still covered all 24 hours without covering it. I really didn't mind that much, because it worked. The only other way the jump time would've worked is if they split the 24 hours into two halfs of the season like the first 6 hours 11AM-4PM and the second half being 6AM - 11AM. Or they could've made Audrey die last episode and do the time jump during the season finale, while would've been 10AM - 11AM...
Because, right up until they actually did it, I still thought they would pull off a surprise. Even when they said 'the following takes place between 10pm-11am' I still thought there was a slim chance they were doing it so that they could do Day 9 part 2 and complete the day in six month time when it would have been a massive surprise. And it was soooo pointless! Had they ended it with him on the plane to LA, gets reunited with Kim, then gets a phonecall from Tony to set up Season 10... then that would actually mean something and would make sense! I'm sorry, but you're not going to convince me that the phonecall went 'We have Chloe O'Brian. We want you to pay for your heinous crimes. We are willing to trade your life for hers. But, y'know, no rush! Go to a hotel, get some sleep. Then maybe go and get some breakfast- heck we could then stop off for some elevenses on route!* Y'know, if an exchange was to happen, surely it would have happened immidiately? Like within an hour? Not wait 12 hours! That exchange would have happened straight away. So it made no sense in that sense. And if you really want to do the time jumps, then stick to the original plan! 11am-12pm, 12pm-1pm, 1pm-2pm then off on a train to Paris or a plane to Berlin or whatever to pick up a suspect and start up again at 5pm. That would make sense. Time jumping mid-episode, has messed with the concept. The writers had written themselves into a corner and had no idea how to get out of it, so just time jumped for no particular reason.

* I typed that in a weird, creepy, Russian accent.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh yeah you were in extreme denial then. lol No way they'd say 10PM - 11AM only to continue it in the next episode. lol

Kim and Tony returning in the end would've been so, no shocking though. You surely would've saw that one coming. So good for the surprise element it didn't happen. Although once Jack Bauer got the phone call, I knew it was obvious the episode was ending with Jack going with Russians for a trade off with Chloe.

Also I gotta disagree a bit with you on the whole time thing, cause I personally didn't mind it.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Elite Fan

I had been calling it so it wouldn't have been shocking to me but those who hadn't overthought it as I did, it would have surprised. And I was genuinely couldnt contain my excitement during that ad break as I was so so excited as I was convinced Tony, or someone on his behalf, was arranging a meeting. And it would make sense too if Tony had him as he's in the US and would explain the time jump. But a Season 5 mark 2 ending was just terrible. Million dollar move, ten cent finish.

Explain to me, if you would, why you like the time jump mid episode? It takes away the real time aspect. If you can't use the time jumps, abandon them. Simple. Do it over 12 episodes, or come back in six months time for another 12 to complete the day. Plus, why did it take so long for a life/death exchange in order to get a prisoner that they have spent four years searching for?

I could (and probably will) compile a list of ways that the time jump could have been managed better.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Elite Fan

I had been calling it so it wouldn't have been shocking to me but those who hadn't overthought it as I did, it would have surprised. And I was genuinely couldnt contain my excitement during that ad break as I was so so excited as I was convinced Tony, or someone on his behalf, was arranging a meeting. And it would make sense too if Tony had him as he's in the US and would explain the time jump. But a Season 5 mark 2 ending was just terrible. Million dollar move, ten cent finish.

Explain to me, if you would, why you like the time jump mid episode? It takes away the real time aspect. If you can't use the time jumps, abandon them. Simple. Do it over 12 episodes, or come back in six months time for another 12 to complete the day. Plus, why did it take so long for a life/death exchange in order to get a prisoner that they have spent four years searching for?

I could (and probably will ) compile a list of ways that the time jump could have been managed better.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Well Tim, you can't be right about everything. You were correct about 24 returning with Cheng, 2/3 is okay.

I wouldn't do it at all, I'd just do the 24 episode but for this season I understood it... because it stayed in the same hour, but skipped to the morning time which is why I thought it worked kind of well. It was still 10 - 11, but it was just PM - AM. lol

I understand why you are upset about how it happened, but I just didn't mind it.
With 12 episodes, we knew something was going to be different.

Also I suggested better time jumps as well, but it's really no point of keep discussing what's already done. The time jump happened the way it happen, nothing we say can change that.

You were against it, I didn't mind it that much because I was expecting it coming into the episode... actually I expected this exact time jump two episodes ago.