Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Elite Fan

The Good Wife Movie Club #7 - Because we need to talk about the movies we check, check, check!

Welcome to the Movie Club
The thread where TGW movie buffs can share their love of the Silver Screen

Movie of the Week:
The Lost Weekend

Previous Thread

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Last edited by Gelfling; 07-23-2012 at 08:04 PM
Old 07-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT! Maybe we could add movie of the week (or some better name) to the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
watch and discuss? I can't watch it tonight but I'll watch it by tomorrow. If everyone's done, we can discuss it then and if not we'll wait until we've all seen it?
Okay, will watch it tomorrow then

Quote:
you and the faces! Natalie Portman's too??
In this case it's not really the face, it's the acting that annoys me

Quote:
The IMDB board for it is hilarious though. I don't think you'd find a larger more virulent group of angry conservatives unless you went to an abortion clinic picket line or an NRA meeting

Quote:
I still haven't seen it!
What are you waiting for? I don't think it's as great as the hype, but really, what is?

Quote:
OOooh you saw it?? How beautiful was it???! I saw it years ago on the 12 Monkeys DVD.
Fantastic! And he knows to write so well! And the photos were amazing! Oh 12 Monkeys, I actually downloaded it today without knowing La Jetée had inspired it

Quote:
That's the one movie that made me like Johansson... until I saw her in more and realized she played everything the same way.
I've only seen her in The Prestige (didn't like it) and The Avengers so not really enough to judge.
Adding Virgin Suicides to my watchlist I think 80% of the movies on my imdb watchlist were recommended by you
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Elite Fan

TFTNT

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Master Fan

Oh I'm so slow, only saw the title now
Old 07-09-2012, 01:54 AM
Total Fan

I love the title

I'll try to watch Kind Hearts today or tomorrow

Quote:
That's the one movie that made me like Johansson... until I saw her in more and realized she played everything the same way.
But it's a really good movie.

Now I want to see La Jetée!

I saw David Lean's Summertime with Katharine Hepburn, I liked it a lot Not as great as Brief Encounter (have I seen correctly on icheck that you don't have it checked?), but I loved the cinematography and the story was perfectly bittersweet. And KH was great as usual!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 AM
LGC
Extreme Fan

TFTNT and the title!

Talking about movies and books, have anyone watched The Secret of Kells? It is a very interesting animated movie. It talks about the importance of imagination and books. And that building a wall might be useless. Maybe it is a movie for kids, but I had a good time watching it.

Quote:
The IMDB board for it is hilarious though. I don't think you'd find a larger more virulent group of angry conservatives unless you went to an abortion clinic picket line or an NRA meeting
I need to check the previous thread!

Only the good ones leave early, I will miss you Caloi
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 AM
Dedicated Fan

Oh, I watched the Amazing Spider Man last night (judge me!)...but I had no idea Jill Flint was gonna be on it!... She does a little cameo, but still...beautiful as usual.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylana (View Post)
Oh, I watched the Amazing Spider Man last night (judge me!)...but I had no idea Jill Flint was gonna be on it!... She does a little cameo, but still...beautiful as usual.
You just gave me a good reason to watch it!!!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

It's like a 2min scene though...so...
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGC (View Post)
Talking about movies and books, have anyone watched The Secret of Kells? It is a very interesting animated movie. It talks about the importance of imagination and books. And that building a wall might be useless. Maybe it is a movie for kids, but I had a good time watching it.
Oh I haven't seen it yet. It's on my watchlist though
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Oh I'm so slow, only saw the title now
It came to me as I was checking titles while opening the thread
And oh what did you think of 12 Monkeys, then?

Quote:
TFTNT! Maybe we could add movie of the week (or some better name) to the OP?
great idea!

Quote:
Oh yeah? I like her. But I can get why others don't. So you didn't like Black Swan?

Quote:
What are you waiting for? I don't think it's as great as the hype, but really, what is?
Yeah I admit that ruined some movies for me. Like The Piano. Everyone was raving about it and when I saw it, I kept expecting more. It's a good movie.

Quote:
I've only seen her in The Prestige (didn't like it) and The Avengers so not really enough to judge.
She's getting hard to avoid! She's popping up in movies everywhere.

Quote:
Adding Virgin Suicides to my watchlist I think 80% of the movies on my imdb watchlist were recommended by you
well I hope you enjoy some of them.

Quote:
I saw David Lean's Summertime with Katharine Hepburn, I liked it a lot Not as great as Brief Encounter (have I seen correctly on icheck that you don't have it checked?), but I loved the cinematography and the story was perfectly bittersweet. And KH was great as usual!
I can't remember seeing it. But I have a lot of movies I still haven't checked even though I saw them years ago. Some because I forgot I saw them, some because I haven't had the time to go through all the lists yet.
It would be easier for me if you could look for movies by actors, like on IMDB.

Quote:
That's another one that was somewhat ruined by the hype. I saw it again later and I liked it more than the first time. It's a little simplistic for me, just because animation is increasingly less "made for kids" but I enjoyed it.

Quote:
Oh, I watched the Amazing Spider Man last night (judge me!)
<points and laughs >

Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
And oh what did you think of 12 Monkeys, then?
It doesn't have the magic La Jetée has and I already knew the ending but I liked it a lot! The only thing that annoyed me was Brad Pitt, or his character, I can't tell. After a while it got a bit exhaustive, but I like those crazy angle shots, fits the mood of the movie. Oh the last scene was beautiful, well it's not the last, last scene but you know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Oh yeah? I like her. But I can get why others don't. So you didn't like Black Swan?
I liked the movie, but I didn't like her acting much. It was okay with good moments.

Quote:
It would be easier for me if you could look for movies by actors, like on IMDB.
Oh yes, that would be great. You can find a few filmography lists but just a few, and mostly directors.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Addicted Fan

TFTNT!

Man, oh man! I've been sucking so, so, so very much regarding movies!

Quote:
Really, I kinda like her! Who would you prefer, her or Scarlett?

And again, so many movies that I'm missing!

Quote:
I must admit this is not a movie I'd see, but now that you mentioned Jill.... mmmhhhh, I think I'll just wait to see her scenes!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'm watching this old documentary called Why We Fight... really good (if you're into war and politics)...
I gotta say, Bush was awesome when he (repeteadely said) "we will prevail". I wish I knew the "Eli" behind him...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
It doesn't have the magic La Jetée has and I already knew the ending but I liked it a lot!
It doesn't, it's true. But it's still very good (and the only movie with Bruce Willis I have watched more than once )

Quote:
The only thing that annoyed me was Brad Pitt, or his character, I can't tell. After a while it got a bit exhaustive
Well, the point is to make you (and the other characters) believe he's the only one crazy enough to do something like that. I think it's one of the strong statements of the movie: things and people aren't always what they seem.

Quote:
I liked the movie, but I didn't like her acting much. It was okay with good moments.
Ok. Would I be correct in assuming you didn't like her before? What else have you seen with her?

Quote:
Oh yes, that would be great. You can find a few filmography lists but just a few, and mostly directors.
There are a lot of actors filmographies but they miss a lot of things, at least those I've seen.

Quote:
Man, oh man! I've been sucking so, so, so very much regarding movies!
we need to get back on Movie Night

Quote:
Really, I kinda like her! Who would you prefer, her or Scarlett?
Did you end up seeing Black Swan? I don't think Scarlett Johansson could have played that part to be honest.

Quote:
I must admit this is not a movie I'd see, but now that you mentioned Jill.... mmmhhhh, I think I'll just wait to see her scenes!
just one scene though!

Quote:
I'm watching this old documentary called Why We Fight... really good (if you're into war and politics)...
"old documentary". It's from 2005!

Quote:
I gotta say, Bush was awesome when he (repeteadely said) "we will prevail". I wish I knew the "Eli" behind him...
Bush is a sock puppet, there were many Elis behind and under him and the really "awesome" thing he did was exploit the 9/11 drama to put money into the pockets of his Dad's pals in the "defense" and oil industry.

I've seen Kind Hearts and Coronets. Anyone wanting to join in who hasn't yet? If not we can discuss it any time