Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Updated OP.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by break the window (View Post)
Here's a little short story that was actually able to keep short (shocking, I know lol)

The Christmas Ornament

“Daddy, look, a got a box from my penpal.” Ephram’s daughter Annabelle, came running into the living room, letting the front door swing open.
Ephram smiling while getting up to close the door, he looked down at her. “How do you know it’s from your penpal?” He knelt down to her level.
“It’s from Everwood, Colorado, do we know anyone else?”

“I guess you have a point.”
“Can we open it or do we have to wait until Christmas?”

Ephram saw the light in her eyes, he grinned. “Go ahead.”

Within seconds, Christmas paper was decorating the floor and Annabelle tore open the box.

“It’s an ornament!”
“It is, we can hang it on the tree.”
“Wait, there’s a note!” Annabelle handed the folded note to Ephram.
“Dear, Annabelle…I wanted you to have this ornament in exchange for the one you sent me. Then maybe, someday soon, we can meet up and exchange ornaments. Bye for now, Aiden.’
“That was very nice of Aiden.”
“Can we please, Daddy, can we?”

They both walked into the kitchen, Ephram starting dinner. Annabelle hopped up on the stool at the kitchen island.

“Can we…what?”
Annabelle rolled her eyes adorably. “Go to Everwood?”
“In the future, sure. Everwood is a small town, it probably won’t be hard to find Aiden.”
“We should go now…like tomorrow!”
“Annabelle, next week is Christmas, it’s no time to travel to a place where we don’t know anybody.”
“But you said it’s a small town, Aiden won’t be hard to find…everyone knows everyone else.”

Ephram forgets how smart his little girl of only eight years old is.

“I’ll think about it.”
“So that means no.” Annabelle hung her head low, getting off the stool.
Ephram walked around he island, kneeling down to his daughter’s eyes. “It meansI’ll think about it.”
Annabelle shrugged her shoulders. “Okay,” and ran upstairs.

~*~

“Mom, can we go to New York?” Aiden propped his elbows on the counter, while Amy was making dinner.
“Wow, New York, why there?”

“The Christmas tree! The Lights!”
“Yeah, but, we have lights here, Denver has really nice lights. Why all the way in New York?”
“I have a penpal there.”
“You have a what, where?”

Rose came sauntering in.

“I’ve been helping my grandson make friends.”

“Mom, he has plenty of friends here…he doesn’t need to make friends ten states away.”
“It’s eight, but that’s not the point. There was a class assignment to pick a state and he picked New York.”

“And why do I not know anything about this?”
“Because you were probably stuck reading the millionth manuscript of the day and not being a mother.”
“MOM!?” Amy raised her voice in complete shock.
“Grandma, she’s just busy.”

“You are never too busy to be a mother, Amy.”
“Grandma…it’s okay…she’s just busy.” Aiden repeated himself.
“Aiden, why not go up to your room and wash up for dinner.”
“I never wash up for dinner.”
“Well, today you do, go on up.”

As soon as Aiden was out of earshot, Amy turned her grim face back to Rose.

“How dare you accuse me of being too busy to care for my son.”

“It got your attention, didn’t it?”
“Then why do you need my attention for?”

“There was a school project last year where students picked a name out of a hat and that’s who their penpal was going to be. He’s been writing to a lovely girl in New York named Annabelle.”
“And why…again, do I not know about this? I’d love to be involved with this.”

“When would you find the time?” Rose shot back.
“When I would actually had been told about this.”

This was the round robin argument between Rose and Amy about Aiden. Aiden’s father, Thomas, was killed in the line of duty when a riot broke out in Denver. Aiden was only a baby, barely has any memories of his father. Amy isn’t sure if that’s a good thing or bad things sometimes. Her own memories of Thomas are practically unbearable…even with his death being almost seven years prior.

“Have you thought about cutting back your hours, not working on weekends.”
“Clients need me.”
“Clients can leave a message and get back to you on Monday.”
“I’ve always told clients they can always reach me, day or night.”

“What about you? What about taking care of yourself. Ever since Thomas died, you have not given yourself one ounce of reprieve.”
“How can I? Thomas did everything! He took care of everything. He made the down payment on the house, he made sure Thomas had the best school in Kent County, he made sure we were taken care of. I didn’t do anything and then what, I wake up one day having to be responsible for the house payment, all the bills and a private school that costs more than most ivy league colleges.”
“And you made it. The house is paid off, Aiden is in a better school that doesn’t cost as much as Harvard. You’re doing a good job.”
“Then why do I have my own mother telling me, in my. kitchen, that I’m failing.”

“I didn’t say you were failing.”
“Yeah, you did.” Amy cleared her throat and folded her arms. “It’s late, order from the new Chinese menu, Aiden’s been eating to eat there.”
“
Amy, I’m sorry.”
“I’m going to go and spend some time with my son, apparently it’s overdue.”

~*~

“Hey, buddy, what’cha got there?” Amy sat beside Aiden on his bed, he was looking at a toy magazine.
“It’s a keyboard, I really like it…think Santa can bring it?”
“We’ll have to tell Santa what you want, we’ll go this weekend.”

“Great, I’ll ask Grandma if she can take me.”
Amy fought back the tears of how her son was programmed to think. “No, Aiden, I’ll take you. We can go to the mall, do some Christmas shopping and then, you know, have some of that really greasy pizza you like.”
“Oh, from the corner pizza place?”

“You’d do that with me?”
“Of course I would…I would do anything for you, buddy.”

“Thanks mom, I’m going to go tell Grandma.”

“Oh, and tell her order double of the dumplings, I’m getting my appetite back.”

Amy’s phone rang, she immediate answered.

Amy, this is Dan Ableman, I’m thinking about investing in some properties west of here and I’d like you to put together a portfolio of how much profit I’d be making. Can I expect that report by morning.

Normally Amy would be at her computer before Dan would’ve finished the sentence, but Rose really struck a cord that made Amy think about how she’s spending her time.

“I’m sorry Dan, but it’s Friday evening and I won’t be back in the office until Monday morning. Please, send me an email with those figures and I’d be happy to have a portfolio ready for you by Tuesday afternoon.”

“Well, that is a done deal, thank you Amy.”
“Yes, have good night.”

Just in one phone call, Amy felt the weight of the world come off her shoulders…taking a drive to New York didn’t seem so bad now. With the way she’s feeling now, Amy just might want to run to New York herself.

~*~

Annabelle came back down the steps, feeling hungry and didn’t find any food on the table.

“Dad?”
“In the garage, come on out here.”

Annabelle rubbed her eyes and thought she might be sleepwalking. Ephram was putting his suitcase in the back of the truck, smiling at his daughter.

“What is all of this.”

“I thought we’d take a road trip. You and I are on Christmas Break and I thought we could do a road trip.”
Annabelle shrugged. “But where would we go?”
“I hear there’s a place called Everwood that’s at the top of the list right now?”
“Really!? We can go?”
“Yep, waiting on you to pack your bags. We’ll be there in three hours.”
“Three hours to Colorado, we don’t have super powers, we can’t…” She looked at Ephram. “FLY!”
“Yep, flight leaves in thirty minutes, get packing.”
“Oh My GOD!” Ephram could hear her screaming when running back in the house. “What do I wear?”
Ephram laughed. “You’re only eight…going on eighteen, but you’re still eight.”

~*~

Ephram opened the door to the bakery.

“I saw your light on, still open…if not…”
Harold welcomed him in. “The light was still on because I still see people in town and I never want to turn my back on anyone. What can I get you.”
Ephram looked down to Annabelle who was rubbing her eyes, he smiled, looking back up at Harold. “I think just a coffee.”

“We have our peppermint spice for the holidays, you interested.”

“Sure, in honor of the festivities.”
“I don’t think I’ve seen you around here, where are you from?”

“I’m Ephram, this is my daughter Annabelle. We’re from New York, our flight just got in.”
“What brings you to our sleepy little town.” Harold place the to-go cup on the counter, punching in the numbers on the register.
“My penpal!” Annabelle suddenly popped up, smiling.
Harold looked at Ephram. “You flew your daughter all the way to New York for a penpal?”
“They’ve been writing to each other for over a year now and it is a nice road trip. We’re both on Christmas break.”

“Are you a teacher?”
“Music teacher for special education.”

“That is a rewarding career sir, I applaud you.” 

“Thank you. My father is neurosurgeon in New York and I started listening to how he’d talk about his patience and the brain seemed interesting. I love music, specifically the piano and music heals people.”

“Yes, it does.” Harold looked over to Annabelle. “Your penpal lives in Denver, I presume?”
“No, in Everwood, right here in town?”

“Who’s your penpal? We tend to know everyone around here.”
“Aiden Scott.”
Harold was almost knocked off his feet. “That’s easy…Aiden is my grandson.”
Ephram was visibly surprised as well. “Wait, out of all the shops in this town, I happen to run into my daughter’s pen pal from thousands of miles away?”

“What can I say, we’re a small town.”
“Undoubtedly.”
“Can we meet him?”
Ephram swallowed his coffee, then spoke. “I think it’s too late and it’s getting cold. Our hotel is waiting for us to check in.”
“That’s the winter darkness for you. It’s barely dinner time. Why don’t you come by; stay for a minute, gives you a chance to finish that coffee.”
“We wouldn’t want to impose.”

“Nonsense, she’ll get to meet Aiden and you’ll get to meet my wife…the mayor.”
“The town gets even smaller.”

~*~

“How much Chinese food did you order?” Amy came downstairs, wrapping her wet hair up in a messy bun. She had convinced herself to take a shower and get rid of all the anxiety she was feeling from her conversation with her mother.
“Your father is bringing two guests, so I ordered enough for an army.”
“Yep, and the army from the next base.”
“You won’t go hungry.”
“I just hope they like Chinese food.”

“He checked, the man’s daughter hasn’t had Chinese food in ages. Apparently her father loves to cook and they don’t eat out much.”
“Wow, that’s like the exact opposite of us. The other day, Raymond at the deli wanted to know if he should put our usual order in the oven.”
“Small town, Amy.”

“He knows my food allergies, mom!”
“Okay, so we order out a lot.”

“That’s going to change too.”

“What, your eating habits?”
“Cooking at home more.”

“Honey, I applaud you wanting to change, but you aren’t very good in the kitchen.”
“Coming from my own mother, that’s pretty bad.”

Harold opened up the door. Cold drafty air filled the living room, having Amy rub her shoulders to get warm again.

“Who is this guest you were bringing by for dinner?”
“Not really a guest. The way Annabelle tells it, she and Aiden are practically related.”
“She’s here?!” Aiden practically ran across the room and gave Annabelle a hug.
“Safe to say they know each other.” Ephram spoke up, breaking the silence.
Harold saw the array of chinese boxes on the table. “Was there a sale going on, Rose?”

“Nope, just wanted to make sure everyone had enough on this chilly night.”
“Yeah, and the next neighboring town.”
“Sounds familiar.”

They all sat down. Naturally, Aiden and Annabelle were sitting next to each other in disbelief they were meeting. Amy and Ephram sat across from them while Rose and Harold sat on opposite ends of the table.

~*~

Ephram helped load the last of the dishwasher and was feeling a little guilt knowing that he and Annabelle had to be leaving.

“I have an idea.” Rose spoke up. “Why don’t Amy and Ephram walk around town a little bit….”

“it’s dark.” Amy interrupted, dryly. “And cold.”
“It will give Aiden and Annabelle time to get to know each other more and.” Rose whispered in Amy’s ear, “give you some time with a man.”

“Mother!?” Amy could feel her cheeks flushing red, looking around feeling that everyone heard Rose’s whispered words.
“Well, now that I’m totally humiliated, let’s go Ephram, make my other happy that I’m spending time with a man.”
“We don’t have to go.” Ephram looked between Amy and everyone else who seemed to be starring at him.
“Ephram, my mother is the mayor for a reason…you won't win this one. Let’s go.”

~*~

The two were now circling the end of town and reaching the bridge which separates the end of the town to the beginning.

“We’ve walked around town and you’ve talked about every piece of history about Everwood and I barely know anything about you.”
“Other than I need to be with a man, according to my mother.”

“My mom might’ve probably said the same thing…have a nice tie with a girl your own age.”
“Might’ve?”
“She died a few years ago, car accident…drunk driver.”

“I’m sorry. Did Annabelle get to know her?”

Ephram nodded his head. “No, my mom died when I was in high school.”

“I don’t mean to pry, but it’s just you and Annabelle…what about Annabelle’s mom?”
“Sadly, that is one thing me and my dad have in common…we both lost wives in a car accident. Different nights, different circumstances…both gone in an instant.”

“Does Annabelle remember her?”
“Honestly, I don’t know.”
Ephram put his gloved hands in his pockets. “I’d like to think she does. But the more I tell Annabelle about her mom, I think she remembers them more of what I told her than actual memories.”
“What was her name?”

“Stephanie.” Ephram sighed.
“What about Aiden’s father?”

“Thomas Scott.” Amy could feel her face smiling again. “He was the sheriff in town. I could tell he always wanted to be in a big city…like New York City, but he loved me enough to agree that raising Aiden in a small town was better. So he took a Sheriff’s job in a small town named Everwood.”
“Where is he now.”

Amy sighed heavily. “You remember the riots in Detroit.” She saw Ephram nod. “Thomas jumped at the chance to reign law and order over Denver. No one can remember how it started, just that they wanted to finish it. Thomas never wanted to go up there and be the hero, he just wanted to go up there and prove to kids and families that they can have a good life, amongst a bad city.”
"What happened?”
“It was a quiet afternoon, no witnesses, Thomas was shot in the back, four times. The fourth bullet, hit him straight in the throat.” Amy was leaning against the railing of the bridge, remembering how she was told of the events. “The way Thomas was shot, he never saw it coming, no idea who it was. Just someone who hated the idea of a police officer trying to instill goodness. That’s what I was told by his commanding officer. Thomas said he would be along.” Amy swallowed the tears. “He went back to get a bag that was left…it wasn’t even his bag. They think he was planning to put it in lost and found for someone to come and claim it. He never made it back. They found him, dead, of course, in the middle of town…no witnesses, yet, it was in a neighborhood with every car parked at a house…no witnesses.”
“Wow.” Ephram sighed. “I’m really sorry, I can’t imagine the pain you went through.”

“Having Aiden helped. I see a little piece of Thomas in him everyday.”
“I see a bit of Stephanie in Annabelle too…I’m grateful to have my daughter.”

“I’m grateful to have my son.”

The snow started falling, in tiny little flakes.

“That’s our cue…better get back before it really gets going.”

“It’s just a little snow.”

“In Colorado, there is no little snow around here. It starts and within minutes, you’re stuck where you’re at.”
“Since you’re my tour guide, what’s he best way to get back to your house so I can get Annabelle and go to the hotel.”

“Where is your hotel.”
Ephram looked at the reservation on his phone. “It’s a B and B, The Mountaineer Inn.”
“Yeah, my grandmother runs it, her name is Edna.”

“And the two keeps getting smaller.”

“Yeah, you get used to it.”

“I don’t think I will, Annabelle and I are leaving tomorrow evening, our flight is at sundown.”
“So you really flew all the way from New York to Colorado just for a penpal?”
“I’d do anything for my daughter.”
“She’s very lucky to have you.”

“I think I’m the lucky one.”
“We’ll walk to the Inn and see how the snow is. If it gets too bad, I’ll just stay at the inn for the night.”
“What about Annabelle?”

“The kids are fine. Plus, my mother was pushing us out the door. I don’t think they’re worried about us coming back.”
“They didn’t look like they’d miss us.”

~*~

Edna came to the counter when hearing the bell above the door sound, she was almost sad to just see Amy coming in, but then saw a guest.

“Amy, and you have a visitor with you.”
“Yeah, Ephram Brown, he has a reservation apparently. I was walking him here from the house, snow started so I might just take a room myself.”
“You’ll have to share with Ephram, we’re all booked?”

“Grandma, you never book this place solid?”
Edna took swung the computer screen around, showing Amy all he rooms are spoken for. “Some are arriving alter tonight.”
“Fine, Ephram you renting two double beds, right?”
Edna chimed him. “He did but with overbooking, we’d had to put him in the suite.”

“The room you only use for honeymoon couples that has a heart shaped tub?”
“That’s the one.”
“No other rooms?”
Ephram took the key from Edna. “It’ll be fine.
“We’re two adults with one room, for one. night, we’ll be fine.”

They started walking, Amy stating, “It’s not that, it just feels like everyone in town wants me to shack up with the first penis that walks into town.”
Ephram cleared his throat. “Now I feel so much better.”

Ephram pushed open the door once it finally unlocked and was blown away by how many romantic elements were in the room.

“I might have to agree with you on the shacking up part.”
“Don’t get any ideas.”
“Don’t worry.”

Amy took her shoes off and got under the covers while in her clothes.

“You cannot possibly be comfortable.”

“No, I am not, but I’m not sleeping next to a stranger wearing nothing.”
“Two adults…a few hours sharing a room on a snowy night and we’ll probably never see each other again, so undress to your bra and…”
“Don’t say that word.” Amy interrupted with a deep stare.
“What…word?” Ephram was reciting the words in his head.
“Bra and other other word.”
“Panties?”
“Yes…it’s so vile and disgusting.”
“What do you call them then?”
“Underwear. The clothes you were [/I]under[/I] your clothes.”
Panties.”
“Please stop!”
“It’s so much fun…pant…”. Ephram felt the pillow hit his side, he was impressed by her throw. “Nice throw.”
“Don’t try to get my on your good side.”
“So you’re on my bad side?”
“Whatever…I’m actually getting tired, so I am going to lay on my side of the left of the bed and try to get some sleep.”

Amy laid down comfortably but couldn’t quite close her eyes just yet from seeing Ephram undress down to his boxer underwear.

“Trying to catch a peek?”
“Don’t know what you’re talking about, my eyes have been closed.”
“Sure…yeah, okay.”
“Goodnight, Ephram.” She yawned.
“Night sleepyhead.”

~*~

“Morning!” Both Aiden and Annabelle spoke to Rose when she came into the kitchen the next morning.
“Well, what is going on in here?”
“Breakfast,” Chimed Annabelle. “Aiden said you make pancakes, so we’re making pancakes.”
“Who taught you how to make pancakes.
“My dad, he’s a great cook.”
“These look pretty good so I’ll take your word on that one. Are any of those ready to eat?”
“Yep!” Aiden slid plopped three pancakes on her plate with a spatula. “Syrup’s on the table.”
“Alright, I’ll just sit over here and enjoy my breakfast.
“What sells good!?” Bright came into the kitchen, scratching his head, blinking his eyes to make sure his eyes were deceiving him. “Did we start auditioning for Chef, Jr.?”
“They do have talent.”

Bright mouthed to Rose…”Who’s the girl?”

“Annabelle, this is Bright, my son.”
“Want some pancakes, Bright?” Annabelle was mixing more batter.
“Actual pancakes?”
“Yep, on the griddle, uncle Bright.”
“Sure, I might never see the opportunity.”
“I make breakfast every morning for guests.”
“Yes, guests it’s all gone by the time I come in.”
“Breakfast is served until eleven, you don’t usually come downstairs until noon.”
“Yeah, there’s that.”

They were all sitting at the table eating their breakfast, Annabelle dropped her fork, startling everyone.

“I need to call my dad, make sure he knows where I am.”
“He knows where you are.” Aiden spoke up. “He left you here.”
“Oh, yeah, but I should call him anyway.”
“There is a phone right around the corner, next to the sofa.”
“Cool, be right back.”

~*~

Ephram reached for his phone on the nightstand. “Good morning.”
“Hi daddy, I wanted to call and check in.”
“That is very responsible of you, I’m glad you did.”
“When are you coming back?”
“In a little while. I’m going to take a shower here and be on over.”
“Is Amy still there with you.”
“Yeah, she is, she’s still sleeping though.”
“Let her know Aiden wants to talk to her when she’s awake.”
“I will do that. Have you been good for Mr. and Mrs. Abbott.”
“Yep! I made your famous pancake recipe, they all loved it.”
“Okay, I’m gad everything worked out and I’ll see you later on in the morning.”
“Bye, I love you daddy!”
“I love you too, pumpkin.”

Ephram reached back over to lay his phone back on the nightstand. He slid further back down into the covers inviting Amy cuddle back next to him. He kissed her forehead.

“We should get going soon, the kids are expecting us.”
The Kids, sounds like we’re really together.”
“Well, last night felt like we were.”
“I don’t know what happened.” Amy sat up, keeping her naked body covered with the sheet. “I haven’t been with anyone since Thomas and I kind of feel guilty about it.”
“Don’t.”
“Don’t feel like I’m cheating on my husband?”
“Yeah, just like I’m not cheating on my wife.”
“You know how wrong this is, right?”
“What if it isn’t?”
“Ephram, you’re visiting from New York with your daughter and you leave tomorrow, how does that spell anything but one-night-stand?”
“Because this didn’t feel like a one-night-stand?”
“Then what did it feel like for you?”
“Like the beginning of something.”
“How can it begin? You just up and move to a small town in Colorado.”
“Yeah…it can be that simple.”
“Don’t do that.”
“Don’t do what?”
“Pretend we have a future, when we don’t.” Amy was getting dressed, thinking about what to say. “It’s not just you and me, it’s two kids who aren’t young enough to just accept everything that we tell them, they’re going to have questions.”
“Yeah, you’re right…I’ll get dressed and we’ll go.”

~*~

“You don’t want to go, do you?” Rose asked Ephram as they were cleaning up breakfast.
Ephram nodded.
“What happened between you and my daughter.”
“That’s what I want to figure out. Amy isn’t just someone you spend a few hours with and go back to normal life. She is the most normal thing I’ve had in a very long time.”
“Tell her that.”
“I live in New York, Mrs. Abbott, it’s not a quick drive around town.”
“But at dinner you said you can work anywhere, that your talent sticks with you.”

“Yeah, I did.”

“It looks like your daughter and my grandson are inseparable right now. I’d say you have a really big decision to make.”
“But to move Annabelle’s entire life because she found a penpal and I found…”
“Love?” Rose interjected. “I can tell there is something going on between you two and it’s not because of a couple of penpal letters exchanged between a couple of eight year olds.”
“You sound like my mom.”
“What would she say to this right now?”
Ephram was silent before answering. “She died a few years ago, Annabelle never got to know her grandmother.”
“How old were you when she died.”
“Fifteen.”
“You’ve been on your own for a while considering the women in your life.”
“Seems like it sometimes. I never thought me and my father would have something like this in common.”
“What does your father do?”
“Dr. Andrew Brown. He’s the top neurosurgeon in New York.”
“Yeah, Time Magazine did a cover story on him a few years ago, I think it may have been right after your mother had died.”
“He did the interview a few months before she died. That’s why there’s a bit an ego in there. He was The Great Doctor Brown before it all changed. He had me and my sister to raise, entirely on his own.”
“I see he did a really good job.”
Ephram smiled. “Thank you.”
“Do you see yourself and Annabelle building a life here.”
Ephram looked outside, the snow still falling, the roads closing. He looked at the message alert on his phone. “I might get the chance to try it out. Our flight’s been delayed.”
“I think that’s someone upstairs trying to tell you something.”
“Is it such a crazy idea to pick up everything and move to a town I’ve only spent less than 24 hours in?”
“Would it be crazy not to?”

~*~

“Annabelle is sure happy the flight was canceled.” Amy nudged Ephram and they both looked at the kids fast asleep on the couch while a Disney movie was playing.
“She is happy here.” Ephram put the dried glass back in the cupboard. “Your mom asked me about staying here.”
“Really, why? Your life is in New York.”
“As I thought about it, the more I think that my house is in New York but my home might be here. My home is where my daughter is.”
“Aiden would definitely love that. THere’s not many kids his age around here that he likes to hang out with. I think Annabelle is about the only person I’ve seen him want to be around.”
“The more I think about it, the less crazy it sounds.”
“We still haven’t talked about our night together and what It meant.”
“What did it mean to you?”
“I think we were both looking for comfort in someone and found it in each other last night…as soap opera-esk as that sounds, that’s how I think.”
“At first, that’s what I wanted, but then second time, I just wanted you because I could feel your passion and your heart.”

Amy pulled Ephram into the side pantry.

“We had sex once—”
“Well, more than once, actually three times.” He started to giggle.
“But it was one night…can we build a life off of one night?”
“When’s the last time you felt something real like we had last night?”
“I know what you’re saying—“ Amy stood up straighter, letting the kiss go deeper.

Their lips parted, they both smiled and kissed again, both giggling, ending the kiss again.

~*~’

Annabelle sat beside Ephram, sighing heavily.

“what’s wrong?”
“The snow is melting.”
“Yeah, and?”

“The snow is melting, all the airports will be open and we’ll have to fly back to New York.”
“Well, Annabelle.” Ephram put his arm around Amy. “What if I told you that we weren’t going to leave.”
“Like today or ever.”
“We’ll have to leave to get our stuff from New York, but I thought we might…stay.”
Aiden ran over… “Annabelle can stay?”

“Yeah, if Annabelle wants to stay in Everwood. It’s your call sweetie.”
“YAY!” Both Annabelle and Aiden were dancing in the living room.
“I think that’s a yes.” Amy nodded in agreement.
“Oh, and I made the offer.”
“On the house on Mason.”
:”Yep.”

Rose looked around. “An empty house, again.”
Harold saw Bright come through the front door. “Not entirely.”

~*~
Just finished reading your story, Patricia! At first I wondered why Amy and Ephram were living in 2 different states with separate children who didn't belong to the other. Then I wondered why Amy had a husband named Thomas! Then I wondered why Ephram had been married to Stephanie!
Then I realized that you wrote this characters in a different scenario as people who didn't know each other! I am pretty slow on the uptake....but finally figured it out.

Wow....Amy and Ephram worked a lot quicker as this characters. Hope Ephram wore a condom!

I don't remember the old Rose being so pushy.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Just finished reading your story, Patricia! At first I wondered why Amy and Ephram were living in 2 different states with separate children who didn't belong to the other. Then I wondered why Amy had a husband named Thomas! Then I wondered why Ephram had been married to Stephanie!
Then I realized that you wrote this characters in a different scenario as people who didn't know each other! I am pretty slow on the uptake....but finally figured it out.

Wow....Amy and Ephram worked a lot quicker as this characters. Hope Ephram wore a condom!

I don't remember the old Rose being so pushy.

My Everwood, depending on the story, will change the characters a bit.

I often did find Rose to be pushy at times, tbh
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

here's a REALLY short story called "Podcast" Kind of an idea I got from watching a tv show I think. I'm hoping to get back into writing, just real life is kicking my ass right now. That's why I haven't been around much.

This is a friendship Hannah/Amy-centric story. I hope you enjoy it

Amy walked into the hallways of county high, she put her headphones back in the case and slipped her ipod back into her backpack. It was the Monday after spring break. You could tell the kids, just by passing them in the halls, who stayed up way late on the nights they could and forgot that yesterday was Sunday and today was the Monday to return to school.

She kept looking from side to side, feeling people starring at her. Amy shrugged it off and went on the way to her locker. She was greeted almost instantly by her best friend Hannah.

“It’s Monday, isn’t it?”
“Since yesterday was Sunday, I’d say you aced that pop quiz.”
“It feels like it should still be Wednesday or something, another day we get to sleep in.”
“Sleep in? I was up at like seven in the morning everyday.”
“Some of us actually took spring break off and didn’t become a working girl in her free time.”
“Working girl!?” Amy made a face and laughed. “I’m not sure I would call it that.”
A random girl stood next to Hannah, she turned and asked, “I was told to tell you from Katie Greenbriar that you don’t need to come to the virtuous meeting.”
“Okay, but why? Is Katie not feeling well?
“No, she’s fine...in fact she’s setting up some eleborate thing or something. She just doesn’t want you to come anymore.”
“Why!? Did I make her mad or something...go back on a promise.”
The girl started to laugh, saying “yeah, something like a promise.” She nodded towards Amy. “Hey girl, see you around.”
Amy looked back at Hannah, “what was that about?”
“I have no idea. I practically helped form that club.”
“Maybe they’re having a surprise for you...since Katie is setting up something elaborate?”
“Doubt it. We don’t celebrate anyone’s birthdays or holidays.” She saw Amy’s sad face. “So many people celebrate different things and it became more about celebrating birthdays and some people feeling pressured to always buy a gift. So no celebrations.”
“But really, no idea how you got disinvited to a group you founded.”

Bright walked into English class, most of the talking immediately stopped. This wasn’t unusual considering Bright was usually doing something that called for everyone to stop and pay attention. But Bright couldn’t think of anything he’d done, but he wasn’t one to listen to gossip. He took his seat and started to get out his notebook. Hannah had quite the studious affect on him to always get out his books and be the first one prepared to take notes.

“So there’s this bet going on that you and that you and Hannah….”
Bright made a face. “Me and Hannah what?”
“You know...you finally made a woman out of her.”

Bright stood up just as the teacher came into the room raising his voice for everyone to settle down. He did as the teacher instructed and the other guy walked away laughing. Quickly, Bright got out his phone, texting Hannah under his desk. What’s going on, what did you tell everyone? And he tossed his phone back in his bag and looked towards the front. Paying attention, Bright took notes although his mind was somewhere else.

~*~

“Today has been exhausting.” Amy entwined her hand with Ephram’s as they walked towards the her locker.
“It has been a long day. Everyone’s talking about Bright and Hannah.”
“Yeah, Hannah’s been kicked out of the vurtous club, something she helped build.”
Ephram stopped, looking at his girlfriend, “the virtuous club? What is that?”
“Purity club? A high school in North Carolina crated it as a teen cleans club, saving purity for marriage.”
“Why would she be kicked out.” Ephram saw Amy’s ‘you must be clueless’ expression, then he said, “Oh, yeah, I guess that’s a reason not to be involved.”
“But no one knows except them and me...and now you.”
“She didn’t tell anyone, talk about it too close to someone in class? Girls talk in the bathroom don’t they.”
“Yeah, of course, but Hannah never talked about it. She actually barely talked about when we have sleepovers in my room.”
“Oh yeah, Dad and Nina are out out of town, wanna have a sleepover at my house.” Ephram had the adorable grin he’s known for.
“Tempting...but I think I need to spend some time with Hannah. She’s really upset about being kicked out of the club and everyone’s kept saying strange things to her. Some were kind of mean.”
“Like what?”
“Lot of stuff about sex with Bright and she was never really a virgin and is a total fake. I swear Ephram, if I wasn’t there to walk her away from it, she would’ve started to cry….they were vile.”
“Hannah’s never been mean to anybody, why are they being mean to her?”
“I have no idea. It’s like someone made a rumor and everyone believes it. But that stuff doesn’t happen at county high, at least not to this magnitude.”
“Have you talked to Bright, yet?”
“I haven’t seen him all day. I looked for him at lunch and no one’s seen him. If they’re saying these things to Hannah...what are they saying to Bright!?”

~*~

Hannah walked into the weight room, waited for Bright to reset the weights he was using.

“Hi,” She mouthed and did a small wave.
“I looked for you all day, you seemed to have disappeared on me.”
“Same. I guess we were looking in the wrong places at the same times.”
“Yeah, I guess so.” Bright sat back down, pulling barbells towards him.
“Can we talk?”
“Yeah, seems like the whole school is talking for us.”
“I’m not saying you did, but did you say something to someone about us.”
“No, I never talk to anyone about you or about us...except Ephram. He would never say anything.”
“I didn’t either, but it seems like everyone knows.”
“That we had sex? Yeah, seems like it.”
“I never told anyone...except Amy and like Ephram, she wouldn’t say anything.”
Bright patted the seat in front of him, Hannah sat down. “I don’t care if people know we had sex. I’ve just been trying to find you all day to make sure you were okay….that people were talking about us.”
“Bright, I don’t care that people are talking about us, I just want to know how someone found out.”
Bright nodded, “I don’t know.”

~*~

Rose stopped in Amy’s room to deliver some laundry.

“Recording another podcast?”
“Not tonight, too much going on at school, making my brain hurt.”
“Nothing too bad, I hope?”
“No, it’s just people are talking about a rumor that just won’t go away. Rumors that don’t go away are usually true and have a credible source.”
“Are you going to make it your missing to find this credible source?”
“The rumor is about Hannah.”
“Is Brighton involved?”
“Yeah...but it’s not bad. You’re not going to get a call from the principle or anything.”
“I would hope not, he’s doing so well lately.”

Rose closed the door and Amy jumped on her computer. As soon as she did, there was an echo. Questioning why there was an echo, she checked all of her media recording devices. She could feel the warmth drain from her face and all the blood rush out of her body. She shakily turned off the record button and the echos seemed to stop. Looking at her computer, she could see all the comments from everyone who heard her life feed. It had been recording for at least two days. Her sleep over with Hannah was last night.

“At least here I can get some peace and quiet.” Hannah plopped on Amy’s bed, wrapping her arms around the bear pillow. “What’s wrong Amy, you look like you’ve seen a ghost.”
“I accidentally left the podcast recording.”
“And it’s Monday, so I’m guessing the world heard about Rose Abbott delivering your weekly laundry.”
Amy swollowed hard. “I turned it on Saturday when I recorded my thoughts about the pep rally. We were such in a hurry to get to the game, I was going to make myself a note to turn it off when we got back here.”
Hannah could feel the blood run cold. “Was the podcast recording Saturday night?”
Amy’s voice was soft as she spoke. “Yeah, it was.”
“So now we know why I was kicked out of the virtuous club and why everyone was snickering and talking behind my back. I was the one who told everyone Bright and I had sex when I thought I was sharing an important life moment with my best friend.”
“Yeah.” Amy’s voice was soft, then she tucked the hair behind her ears, looking at her best friend. “I am so sorry! Anything I can to make it up to you, anything.”
“I thought what I shared with Bright would be intimate and private, but it was sensationalized and public.”
“And you have every right to blame me for all of it. I had no idea I left it on and I really have even less of an idea of what we talked about.”
“Sex. We talked about how I had sex and me thinking it was private and now it’s not.”
“I have nothing to say.”
“Neither do I.”

~*~

Two days later, Hannah was finally able to sit down and read her email there it was. A link to a new podcast from Amy. She put her head phones in and listened….

A few days ago, a podcast went out that shouldn’t have. Well, it shouldn’t have been a podcast at all. Me and my best friend in the entire world, Hannah Rogers, was telling me, her best friend, that she shared an intimate moment with her boyfriend, almost my brother, Bright. It was never meant to be heard outside of the four walls in my bedroom during one of our sleepovers. For that, I am truly sorry. No words I can say can ever let Hannah forget the feeling it was for everyone to know she shared an intimate moment with someone that was supposed to be private.

With that being said, the reason for this, maybe it’s a special edition, I don’t know...but this is what I want to say.

Everyone listening to this podcast has had a moment, that was truly a moment where no one was there to witness it. And you think “wow, good thing no one saw that” or “I'm glad this has stayed between us”. We’ve all said, we’ve all experienced. Well, Hannah didn’t get that option. Instead, something I forgot to do, let that moment go public, viral if you will. Everyone took part in making sure Hannah knew that everyone know what she and Bright did. Why not just bear the scarlet letter on her forehead and wear black all over town? Would that be similar to what you all had in mind when you basically exiled her out of every lunch table at county high or everyone classroom she walked into.

You may think you are invisible when saying mean things to someone that doesn’t know you. Well, you aren’t. Hannah knows who you are. She knows that you are the person that gets to walk away after saying these things. You get to walk away from Hannah’s feelings being hurt. You get to...walk...away. Think about that. You get to walk around school, no one knowing who you are or care that you wore an orange shirt with green pants. She never did that, but you get the idea.

So, what I urge you, County High, is to walk away. Hannah is took good for your insults and judgments. So please, when seeing Hannah walk around town, through the hallways….smile and nod as there may be a moment in your own personal life that doesn’t end up being so personal.

This is Amy Abbott, signing off.

~*~

Amy sat beside Hannah on the front porch. “I’m sorry.”
Hannah nodded. “I know, I listened to your podcast.”
“Yeah, I recorded that before I went to bed. I just couldn’t think of waking up think you’re mad at me and I didn’t do anything to fix it.”
“I never blamed you, or meant to.”
“You should have, I let the world hear your personal words.”
“It wasn’t your fault...you would never tell anyone about our secret talks.”
“So we’re best friends again?”
“We were ever not?”

They hugged tightly and took the route into town. just as all the kids were getting in their cars and going home.

~*~
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 04-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ In the OP.

Thanks!

I will read when things settle down here and I have a quiet moment.

Last edited by jediwands; 04-06-2021 at 07:59 AM
Old 04-06-2021, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Just read it. Excellent.

- I love how normal and perfect Ephram/Amy are together. Ephram wanted his alone time with Amy. Damn Hannah drama. LOL.

- Bright taking school seriously, nice to see.

- The club Hannah was involved in reminded me of the one Chase from OTH was in.

- The mystery and twist was outstanding. You had me wondering immediately who leaked it!

- Ammmmmmy.... LOL. She made up for it in her next podcast. Beautiful, wise words.

Great job!
Old 04-06-2021, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I need to read this!
Old 04-06-2021, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Excellent, swift, read!
Old 04-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well....Bright and Hannah finally did it. I also wondered how the entire school found out. Very clever, Patricia!
Amy did a great job airing her "fix it" podcast. Sure hope it works!! The entire school is acting like a mean girl.

Ephram's adorable grin....you gotta love it!!
Old 04-08-2021, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Well....Bright and Hannah finally did it.
Such bluntness.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Title: Coming Home

I got the idea from watching a random episode of "The Guardian"...I guess I can say I got something out of that show lol

I hope you like it

“Do you think the picture is going to change the more you stare at it?” Andy came into Ephram’s bedroom with more empty boxes to pack up.
“I just keep thinking the phone’s going to ring saying she wants to come home.”
“Well, Ephram, if she wants to come home, you’re probably not the person she needs to talk to.”
“Right now I’d settle for just hearing her voice, knowing that she’s okay.”
“That’s where you need to believe that everything is going to be okay.”
“I actually had this thought…” Ephram paused, nodded his head. “Never mind, it was stupid.”
“No seriously, what is it?”
“Not knowing where she is or how she’s doing makes me jealous of you a little bit.”
“Of me? How so, Ephram?”
“When you found out mom had died in that car accident. You knew, you didn’t have to guess where she was or if she was laying on the ground in a field somewhere or…” Ephram dried his eyes. “How stupid is that. I envy how my father knew that my mother was dead.”
“I admit the thought process, probably not healthy. But Ephram, you do have a point. I knew that your mother was at peace and I didn’t have to worry about things your mind is making you worry about now. But that doesn’t make it any easier. What does, somewhat, make it easier for you is that you still have the chance to see Amy again. I know you believe she’s still out there and hopefully finding her way back to you. With your mom…I had to deal with the idea that I would never go home to my wife…your mother…Delia’s mother again. So don’t be jealous of me when I can be envious of you.”
“Dad…” Ephram waited for Andy to turn back around. “How do you know when it’s time to finally let go?”
Andy shrugged. “You don’t. It just…happens.”
“And Nina just happened?” Ephram had a twinge of a smile form on his face.
“Yeah, something like that.”

Ephram removed the back of the photo frame and took the picture out. Whenever Ephram looked at the picture. He remembered that day down to the temperatures changing as the fall season was arriving in Everwood. Amy had on her maroon scarf that went perfectly with her ivory cream-colored sweatshirt. That was their perfect day. The last time they were really “them” and the last day he really felt whole.

A new family moved into town with a troubled son named Tommy was the new kid on the street that no one bothered to talk to, except for Amy, because she talked to everyone. Amy was going through a lot of things that she didn’t want to, in her words, burden anyone with so she hung out with Tommy….said she could be herself. Tommy was a closeted drug user and when he met Amy…her entire world changed and she was never the same.

~*~

“Come in.” Amy called out from her desk in her bedroom.
“What are you up to this afternoon.”
“Homework.” Amy shrugged, immediately turning the paper over.
“Graduation is tomorrow…got any plans?”
“Well, graduating?” She was confused and then laughed.
“I mean afterwards, were you planning to just pack the car up since everything is in boxes or leave in the morning?”
Amy shrugged happily. “I don’t know…did you have something planned?”
“Not really. It’s not like a regular graduation, though. I get a chip and a certificate. Almost like I won the big game at the local arcade.”
“Graduating is graduating, no matter if it’s High School, College…or….”
“Or a drug rehab clinic.” Amy finished the sentence, then went silent.
“You made it. I remember when you came in here. Lord, child, if you spoke one word it was like tomb has risen, we were so in awe. Now look at you…you’ve graduated.”
“What do I go home to though? My parents moved out of Everwood, not telling me where they went, I’m not exactly excited about graduating unless there’s a graduate program.”
“What about the mentor program. You’d be great at that. You can help kids because you’ve been through it and know exactly what to expect from them.”
Amy sighed. “I don’t know. Am I cut out for that? I remember when I came in here, I’d rather punch somebody than talk about my feelings.”
“Yes, and look at you now. Everyone on this floor respects the hell out of you. You can do this.”
“I know I can, but do I want to do it.”
“Weren’t you just saying that you’re not excited about graduating. Now, you won’t have to leave.”
“As much as I’d love to stay and be a hermit, I know I have to spread my wings.”
“Well, always remember you can fly back around here anytime you want.”
“That’s always nice to know.”
“Oh, this came for you, not recently though. Miranda in receivables was cleaning out your box and found this. Looks like it was forwarded from a previous address so it was sent to you before you came here.”
“Wow, who would give me mail. Probably someone I owe money to.”

Amy opened up the letter and went to close the door to her room. She wanted complete privacy when reading a letter from Ephram.

I’m not sure if you’ll get this letter or if the address, I’m sending this to is even the right address. Hey, someone else might be reading this that doesn’t even know who you are. Shame on them, because you’re incredible.

I don’t know where to begin or end or whatever is going on with the in between. I want you to know that I still love you so much. I know we ended on bad terms and you said you never wanted to see me again. So maybe I’m writing this and you’ll ball it up at this sentence and the next few words will just end up in the trash to be taken out like it never mattered. I don’t care. Even if you don’t read these next few words, it won’t matter. It won’t matter because I know I will have said them, put them out there and know that the words are real.

I don’t care what’s happened in the past. The past is the past. You may know what happened to Tommy…they found him in a motel, passed out from doing several drugs over the previous few days. By the time he got to the hospital and pumped his stomach, he was pronounced brain dead. Well, if you didn’t know then, you know now. Now, below, are the words I need to say to you.

“I love you. I will always love you. Not just a love because you were my first girlfriend, my best friend, my first real everything…but you are all those things. You are my best friend; you will be always mean everything to me. If you ever decide to come back to Everwood, please know that you are all of those things. I don’t care what’s happened, just please come home. You can come stay with me. I have an apartment on Tangler Avenue now. Nice place…it’s a two bedroom. You can stay there as long as you want. The room is yours. If you just want to be friends, I can handle that. I just want you to come home. I look at your beautiful picture every day. The day at the festival before fall settled in. You wore the maroon scarf and the cream-colored sweatshirt. You looked so beautiful that day.

I don’t care what has happened, just please…come home.

Love you always,

Ephram

Amy looked at the postage date, the letter had been originally sent three years ago, when she and Ephram last spoke, briefly, over the phone. Everything had changed now. Sure he probably had moved on and maybe this invitation back into his life was off the table since it’s been so long. Amy was feeling her anxiety at the thought of Ephram moving on to someone else. Truthfully, she didn’t care if her parents didn’t want her, that boat had already sailed when she showed up to the annual Christmas party with Tommy drunk and high. The next month, the Abbotts had placed their house on the market and it sold in two weeks.

It was Ephram she cared about. He was the one who picked her up at night from partying too much with groups of people she called friends that abandoned her after a few hours. It was Ephram who always took care of her, made her feel safe. It was Ephram she wanted to go to home to.

Opening up her laptop, Amy went searching for Ephram to find any information she could to lead her back to him.

~*~

Deliah came up the staircase and looked at the empty room, then walked into the other bedroom where Ephram was.

“Do you have a roommate?”
“No, why?”
“Then why did you buy a house with a second bedroom? Every one we want to visit with lives only within a thirty-minute travel time range.”
“If someone wants to visit, stay for a few days.”
“If someone wants to stay in Everwood for a few days, I’d have their head examined.”
“You did want to have dad’s head examined when we first moved here.”
“Hey, I still do.” Deliah’s text alert went off on her phone. “Damn, I’m late for dinner with Adam and his parents.”
“Meeting the parents tonight?”
“I feel like I’ve met them before so I don’t get this whole formal dinner to meet the parents.”
“Did you meet them as Adam’s girlfriend before?”
Deliah thought about Ephram’s question. “Ooooh, that makes a difference.”
“Yeah, it does.”
“Good to know, thanks for the advice and…do something with that bedroom…it’s so…bland.”
“I hope to.”

~*~

Ephram turned the last light off minus the upstairs overhead light. Someone started knocking at his door. The New York boy in him wanted to freeze and grab a sharp object. But then he remembered it was Everwood and walked towards the door. He stumbled when seeing who was standing before him.

“Amy?” He almost did have to question it because he didn’t think this would actually happen.
“Yeah, hey Ephram…it’s me…back from…obscurity I guess.”
“What are you doing…how did you find where I lived.”
“Thankfully Everwood is a small town and yeah, it’s kind of freezing out here.”
“Oh, yeah, come on in.”

Without knowing what to say, she pulled out the letter Ephram mailed to her.

“The way I treated you, your family…this entire town, I don’t expect anything to be true from this letter. You probably don’t even remember what you wrote.”
“I remember it, I remember all of it.”
“You do?”
He walked towards her. “I remember you, me and us. I remembered how much I loved you then and how much I’m always going to love you.”
“Good, because, I don’t really have a plan once I got here. I knew I would have to do to get here, but then after that, I didn’t really know…”
Come here, Ephram whispered and pulled her into a hug. “Please stay…with me.”
Amy tucked the hair behind her ears and whispered, “okay”.

~*~
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 04-26-2021, 05:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Looking forward to reading this, Patricia!!
Old 04-26-2021, 07:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Added to OP.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by break the window (View Post)
Title: Coming Home

I got the idea from watching a random episode of "The Guardian"...I guess I can say I got something out of that show lol

I hope you like it

“Do you think the picture is going to change the more you stare at it?” Andy came into Ephram’s bedroom with more empty boxes to pack up.
“I just keep thinking the phone’s going to ring saying she wants to come home.”
“Well, Ephram, if she wants to come home, you’re probably not the person she needs to talk to.”
“Right now I’d settle for just hearing her voice, knowing that she’s okay.”
“That’s where you need to believe that everything is going to be okay.”
“I actually had this thought…” Ephram paused, nodded his head. “Never mind, it was stupid.”
“No seriously, what is it?”
“Not knowing where she is or how she’s doing makes me jealous of you a little bit.”
“Of me? How so, Ephram?”
“When you found out mom had died in that car accident. You knew, you didn’t have to guess where she was or if she was laying on the ground in a field somewhere or…” Ephram dried his eyes. “How stupid is that. I envy how my father knew that my mother was dead.”
“I admit the thought process, probably not healthy. But Ephram, you do have a point. I knew that your mother was at peace and I didn’t have to worry about things your mind is making you worry about now. But that doesn’t make it any easier. What does, somewhat, make it easier for you is that you still have the chance to see Amy again. I know you believe she’s still out there and hopefully finding her way back to you. With your mom…I had to deal with the idea that I would never go home to my wife…your mother…Delia’s mother again. So don’t be jealous of me when I can be envious of you.”
“Dad…” Ephram waited for Andy to turn back around. “How do you know when it’s time to finally let go?”
Andy shrugged. “You don’t. It just…happens.”
“And Nina just happened?” Ephram had a twinge of a smile form on his face.
“Yeah, something like that.”

Ephram removed the back of the photo frame and took the picture out. Whenever Ephram looked at the picture. He remembered that day down to the temperatures changing as the fall season was arriving in Everwood. Amy had on her maroon scarf that went perfectly with her ivory cream-colored sweatshirt. That was their perfect day. The last time they were really “them” and the last day he really felt whole.

A new family moved into town with a troubled son named Tommy was the new kid on the street that no one bothered to talk to, except for Amy, because she talked to everyone. Amy was going through a lot of things that she didn’t want to, in her words, burden anyone with so she hung out with Tommy….said she could be herself. Tommy was a closeted drug user and when he met Amy…her entire world changed and she was never the same.

~*~

“Come in.” Amy called out from her desk in her bedroom.
“What are you up to this afternoon.”
“Homework.” Amy shrugged, immediately turning the paper over.
“Graduation is tomorrow…got any plans?”
“Well, graduating?” She was confused and then laughed.
“I mean afterwards, were you planning to just pack the car up since everything is in boxes or leave in the morning?”
Amy shrugged happily. “I don’t know…did you have something planned?”
“Not really. It’s not like a regular graduation, though. I get a chip and a certificate. Almost like I won the big game at the local arcade.”
“Graduating is graduating, no matter if it’s High School, College…or….”
“Or a drug rehab clinic.” Amy finished the sentence, then went silent.
“You made it. I remember when you came in here. Lord, child, if you spoke one word it was like tomb has risen, we were so in awe. Now look at you…you’ve graduated.”
“What do I go home to though? My parents moved out of Everwood, not telling me where they went, I’m not exactly excited about graduating unless there’s a graduate program.”
“What about the mentor program. You’d be great at that. You can help kids because you’ve been through it and know exactly what to expect from them.”
Amy sighed. “I don’t know. Am I cut out for that? I remember when I came in here, I’d rather punch somebody than talk about my feelings.”
“Yes, and look at you now. Everyone on this floor respects the hell out of you. You can do this.”
“I know I can, but do I want to do it.”
“Weren’t you just saying that you’re not excited about graduating. Now, you won’t have to leave.”
“As much as I’d love to stay and be a hermit, I know I have to spread my wings.”
“Well, always remember you can fly back around here anytime you want.”
“That’s always nice to know.”
“Oh, this came for you, not recently though. Miranda in receivables was cleaning out your box and found this. Looks like it was forwarded from a previous address so it was sent to you before you came here.”
“Wow, who would give me mail. Probably someone I owe money to.”

Amy opened up the letter and went to close the door to her room. She wanted complete privacy when reading a letter from Ephram.

I’m not sure if you’ll get this letter or if the address, I’m sending this to is even the right address. Hey, someone else might be reading this that doesn’t even know who you are. Shame on them, because you’re incredible.

I don’t know where to begin or end or whatever is going on with the in between. I want you to know that I still love you so much. I know we ended on bad terms and you said you never wanted to see me again. So maybe I’m writing this and you’ll ball it up at this sentence and the next few words will just end up in the trash to be taken out like it never mattered. I don’t care. Even if you don’t read these next few words, it won’t matter. It won’t matter because I know I will have said them, put them out there and know that the words are real.

I don’t care what’s happened in the past. The past is the past. You may know what happened to Tommy…they found him in a motel, passed out from doing several drugs over the previous few days. By the time he got to the hospital and pumped his stomach, he was pronounced brain dead. Well, if you didn’t know then, you know now. Now, below, are the words I need to say to you.

“I love you. I will always love you. Not just a love because you were my first girlfriend, my best friend, my first real everything…but you are all those things. You are my best friend; you will be always mean everything to me. If you ever decide to come back to Everwood, please know that you are all of those things. I don’t care what’s happened, just please come home. You can come stay with me. I have an apartment on Tangler Avenue now. Nice place…it’s a two bedroom. You can stay there as long as you want. The room is yours. If you just want to be friends, I can handle that. I just want you to come home. I look at your beautiful picture every day. The day at the festival before fall settled in. You wore the maroon scarf and the cream-colored sweatshirt. You looked so beautiful that day.

I don’t care what has happened, just please…come home.

Love you always,

Ephram

Amy looked at the postage date, the letter had been originally sent three years ago, when she and Ephram last spoke, briefly, over the phone. Everything had changed now. Sure he probably had moved on and maybe this invitation back into his life was off the table since it’s been so long. Amy was feeling her anxiety at the thought of Ephram moving on to someone else. Truthfully, she didn’t care if her parents didn’t want her, that boat had already sailed when she showed up to the annual Christmas party with Tommy drunk and high. The next month, the Abbotts had placed their house on the market and it sold in two weeks.

It was Ephram she cared about. He was the one who picked her up at night from partying too much with groups of people she called friends that abandoned her after a few hours. It was Ephram who always took care of her, made her feel safe. It was Ephram she wanted to go to home to.

Opening up her laptop, Amy went searching for Ephram to find any information she could to lead her back to him.

~*~

Deliah came up the staircase and looked at the empty room, then walked into the other bedroom where Ephram was.

“Do you have a roommate?”
“No, why?”
“Then why did you buy a house with a second bedroom? Every one we want to visit with lives only within a thirty-minute travel time range.”
“If someone wants to visit, stay for a few days.”
“If someone wants to stay in Everwood for a few days, I’d have their head examined.”
“You did want to have dad’s head examined when we first moved here.”
“Hey, I still do.” Deliah’s text alert went off on her phone. “Damn, I’m late for dinner with Adam and his parents.”
“Meeting the parents tonight?”
“I feel like I’ve met them before so I don’t get this whole formal dinner to meet the parents.”
“Did you meet them as Adam’s girlfriend before?”
Deliah thought about Ephram’s question. “Ooooh, that makes a difference.”
“Yeah, it does.”
“Good to know, thanks for the advice and…do something with that bedroom…it’s so…bland.”
“I hope to.”

~*~

Ephram turned the last light off minus the upstairs overhead light. Someone started knocking at his door. The New York boy in him wanted to freeze and grab a sharp object. But then he remembered it was Everwood and walked towards the door. He stumbled when seeing who was standing before him.

“Amy?” He almost did have to question it because he didn’t think this would actually happen.
“Yeah, hey Ephram…it’s me…back from…obscurity I guess.”
“What are you doing…how did you find where I lived.”
“Thankfully Everwood is a small town and yeah, it’s kind of freezing out here.”
“Oh, yeah, come on in.”

Without knowing what to say, she pulled out the letter Ephram mailed to her.

“The way I treated you, your family…this entire town, I don’t expect anything to be true from this letter. You probably don’t even remember what you wrote.”
“I remember it, I remember all of it.”
“You do?”
He walked towards her. “I remember you, me and us. I remembered how much I loved you then and how much I’m always going to love you.”
“Good, because, I don’t really have a plan once I got here. I knew I would have to do to get here, but then after that, I didn’t really know…”
Come here, Ephram whispered and pulled her into a hug. “Please stay…with me.”
Amy tucked the hair behind her ears and whispered, “okay”.

~*~
Wow. This is very deep. I am on the edge of my seat wanting to know how it ends. Will there be another part?

Really good stuff, Patricia. I love how Ephram waited for her.

I’m actually personally going through something like this. Losing time with someone yet it still felt timeless while waiting years for the connection to resume. This hits home in a unique way.

Great piece of writing.

Last edited by jediwands; 04-27-2021 at 12:44 PM
Old 04-27-2021, 12:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Wow. This is very deep. I am on the edge of my seat wanting to know how it ends. Will there be another part?

Really good stuff, Patricia. I love how Ephram waited for her.

I’m actually personally going through something like this. Losing time with someone yet it still felt timeless while waiting years for the connection to resume. This hits home in a unique way.

Great piece of writing.
Nope, only one part. I could easily continue it, however, then it would be a never ending novel because I don't know how to end things lol

I recently lost my mom and sister to covid and that's why I haven't been around much or writing much. I'm trying to get back into it little by little. I definitely have a bigger connection to Ephram than I did before...and I guess to Andy as well with the loss of someone close to you. I'm trying to put all my anguish into art and I think it's slowly working

I do have a story called "The Outsider" I've been working on for about a year. It's Amy/Ephram centric with some really interesting factors how everyone is the same yet feels alone in their principles. It's a really good story and I'm trying to do it justice...it's just taking some time.

I'm glad you liked the story, I really wanted to put a lot of heart into it without making it really long.
{EphramAmy}
patricia

Last edited by jediwands; 04-27-2021 at 12:45 PM
Reply   Post New Thread