Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Master Fan

Late Night Brouhaha

I'm kind of over all this by now, but I did just have to share what I think is now my favorite thing to come out of it:

Ken Burns' The Late Night War

And if my deep and abiding history-lurve hadn't already been made clear here at some point, it has now, hee.

Parks & Recreation

Quote:
Ooh, ooh, I can't believe you didn't mention yet how all of Andy's geography goofs were totally Bright-esque!
Heh, well, I left that for you to mention. Poor Chris Pratt is just doomed to play characters who wander through life in dire need of an atlas, isn't he?

The Deep End

I too heard that about Tom Amandes, but also heard very, very bad things about the show itself. But hopefully it was better than it looked from its commercials and sounded?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Elite Fan

Life, Unexpected

Quote:
Another Everwood fan on board as liking it. I figured you would, Alan.
This show was basically programmed for me to like it.

It does, however, suffer from a case of 'out there' names: I mean, Baze and Lux? Really? Does every CW show have to have at least one character with a weirdo name?

Bones

I liked this one more than I thought I would considering the promos. JFK conspiracy stuff isn't my cup of tea, so I was glad to see how the show handled the subject. I wasn't, however, a fan of the Angela storyline. If they want to break her up with Wendell and put her back with Hodgins then fine, but the pregnancy scare storyline is kinda cliche.

Fringe

A nice, claustrophobic little episode that had some nice character moments splashed in with the typical gross out scenes. Plus, Walter's slip about Peter will most likely end up with Peter finding out that he's from an alternate reality, which will be fun.

The Vampire Diaries

I liked the episode overall, but I'm still kinda grossed out by the fact that this is supposed to be a love triangle between Damon/Stefan/Elena given the fact that Damon, moments after being saved by a heartfelt plea from Elena, coldly ripped the heart out of his old flame.

Supernatural

It's nice to see the show followed up such a grim and mythology heavy episode that killed off one of my favorite characters with this crappy one-shot episode that has nothing to do with the overarching storyline. And it wasn't even that good.

P.S. Fun fact: Ketchum, Oklahoma has a population of 246, so I doubt there's a big psychiatric hospital there...there is however a psych hospital in Vinita which isn't that far from Ketchum.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I just returned from seeing "It's Complicated". I've got to say...I have never laughed so much during a movie. It was great and oh so funny. Meryl Streep is so real. She's in her late 50s/early 60s....has never had any work done.....and she is absolutely beautiful. She was wonderful in this movie.
Glad to hear you liked the movie. It's gotten good reviews. I'd watch Meryl in anything. She turned 60 this year.

The Vampire Diaries

Good episode. The Elena/Damon storyline is interesting, as was some new facts that came to light in this episode. Elena seems to be more comfortable around Damon and saves his life, but he horribly murders someone afterwards. How comfortable should she be getting?. I liked it.

Supernatural

After a long hiatus, most fans probably aren't excited to return to a show with a stand alone episode, but that's what we got. It was a pretty basic episode that SN can do in it's sleep, but it was still entertaining enough and well done, and the monster was nasty looking. I also really liked the Martin character. Hope we see him again. A filler episode.

Life Unexpected

I got my mom hooked on it now. I had taped the pilot since I knew she might be interested in it. I showed it to her last night and she loved it. She can't wait for Mondays now.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/

Last edited by Barrybgb; 01-22-2010 at 02:27 PM
Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)
I got my mom hooked on it now. I had taped the pilot since I knew she might be interested in it. I showed it to her last night and she loved it. She can't wait for Mondays now.

Okay....I've been reading all of your gushes pertaining to this show. I am intrigued. I must check it out.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't know if anyone is interested....but Zachary Levi of Chuck is a guest on Monday's Ellen Show.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Okay....I've been reading all of your gushes pertaining to this show. I am intrigued. I must check it out.
Oh, I think you'd really like it, Betty. I don't know how the next episodes are going to be, but I know that you would love the first episode!

Speaking of Zachary Levi, are you still watching Chuck?

ETA:

Conan

Watched his final show and it was both about what I would expect and what I wouldn't expect, heh. I did expect his great, emotional and positive final speech. Thanking NBC, thanking the fans, saying that he's been a lucky man, telling young fans not to take what happened here and make it cynical, almost crying (of course). It was really sweet and I think totally Conan. The end of the show was definitely not what I would have expected, hee. Conan playing guitar with Will Ferrell singing "Free Bird" with a pregnant woman dancing was really random, but at the same time, Conan had a huge smile on his face the whole time and was having a blast. And that's exactly the way to go.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood

Last edited by 'Tos; 01-23-2010 at 01:45 AM
Old 01-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Speaking of Zachary Levi, are you still watching Chuck?
I missed Monday's episode and forgot to tape it. I will continue to watch.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM
buffyannAlex

Quote:
I don't know if anyone is interested....but Zachary Levi of Chuck is a guest on Monday's Ellen Show.
Hee ! I'm glad I checked the thread and got this info ! THanks !

Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffyannAlex (View Post)
Hee ! I'm glad I checked the thread and got this info ! THanks !
You're very welcome, Alex.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Master Fan

Conan

I watched the final show as well, and, while it wasn't hugely funny (though "Dear INTERNET!!!" cracked me up), it was a great way for Conan to go out -- acknowledging how fortunate he's been, thanking the network for their many years of support, and, of course, his message to younger fans regarding cynicism. I think a positive thing about this whole fiasco is that it's given a chance for true character to show through. Leno's nice guy image has been pretty much demolished, but Conan's provided an opportunity to see actual integrity, in show business, in action, right down to holding out on a deal until his staff was covered as well.

I will need Will Ferrell not to sing again, though. Heh. But he's free to play the cowbell whenever he pleases.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
Conan

I watched the final show as well, and, while it wasn't hugely funny (though "Dear INTERNET!!!" cracked me up), it was a great way for Conan to go out -- acknowledging how fortunate he's been, thanking the network for their many years of support, and, of course, his message to younger fans regarding cynicism. I think a positive thing about this whole fiasco is that it's given a chance for true character to show through. Leno's nice guy image has been pretty much demolished, but Conan's provided an opportunity to see actual integrity, in show business, in action, right down to holding out on a deal until his staff was covered as well. .
I didn't watch the show...because I fell asleep early last night. I did see scenes from the show on the news. Yes, Conan came across as very gracious and the better man.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

The question now I wonder is if anyone is going to watch Leno again? I never really did before but now I am certainly not, heh. I don't really "hate" him for this but it's just all so weird. I know I should talk about people changing their minds because they are entitled to this and I am supporting Brett Favre playing for the Vikings after coming out of retirement about 303030 times but why did Leno leave in the first place? Why all of a sudden does he want to come back? Because he failed so he's going back to his comfortable position? A position that some didn't think he deserved in the first place... I don't know. Leno originally got the Tonight Show gig because he came across as nice and inoffensive unlike how some peg Letterman. That made him seem like he was the perfect successor to Johnny Carson. But the reason why Carson had retired in the first place was because he realized his era had come to an end. Likewise, Leno's act has also run its course. I wonder if the ratings will soon enough reflect that.

Last edited by jediwands; 01-23-2010 at 01:29 PM
Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Master Fan

I think his ratings will be fine, unfortunately. The folks who have been watching his 10 pm show and a lot of the folks that watched him on The Tonight Show aren't really the people that are on Conan's side, or watching Conan. I'm not sure that his audience really cares about what's gone on, they'll just be glad to see him back. He might not be beating Letterman right away (who has been doing really well since the sex scandal--sex does sell, hee) but he'll probably be doing better than Conan was.

What I think will really change with Leno is his reputation. As Thief said, Leno's nice guy image has been destroyed. Leno has thrived on that image for decades, and it's going to be a lot harder to maintain now. His reputation and his legacy is where he's really going to be hit, but I think he'll do fine in the ratings.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
I don't know. Leno originally got the Tonight Show gig because he came across as nice and inoffensive unlike how some peg Letterman. That made him seem like he was the perfect successor to Johnny Carson. But the reason why Carson had retired in the first place was because he realized his era had come to an end. Likewise, Leno's act has also run its course. I wonder if the ratings will soon enough reflect that.
100% agree. I know what you're doing here... using your psych skills and it is very intelligent and right on ball in that people do feel like they "know" stars on shows, especially a comedian on a late night talk show. The fact that Leno once represented a certain "profile" and now that is tarnished and changed, people do not view him in the same way, thus the ratings could reflect that. Absolutely right on. Essentially a different person is stepping into this slot again as you so perfectly pointed out (maybe my psych in law school is allowing me to understand your psych intellect better? Heh) and that definitely could affect how this show is received.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Master Fan

Conan got huge ratings last night, so it's nice that he went with a bang with his head held high. I think he's definitely won over some new fans from how he's handled this whole thing. He made his jokes at NBC's expense, but when push came to shove, he ended up thanking them. The entertainment industry isn't exactly known for being filled with a lot of nice people, but Conan's certainly one of the few.

By the way, Barry, good for you for getting your mom hooked on Life Unexpected! Tell her to come online and post her thoughts!

ETA: By the way, anyone who didn't get to see Conan's final speech, here it is (video and text): Conan O'Brien's Last Show: His Final Words For NBC And For His Fans (VIDEO, FULL TEXT)

Well worth going out of your way to see, I think. I just watched it again and I just want to give the guy a big hug, hee. When he's thanking his fans, he is THISCLOSE to crying. Awwwwwwwwwww. Now I'm crying, heh.

Last edited by 'Tos; 01-23-2010 at 03:21 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread