View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 07:37 PM
GobSmacked82
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual observer (View Post)
That's a good point--he mentioned how he always is thinking about her while he was in the process of preparing for his wedding to #2. I think maybe that impending event was causing him to think even more about 'what might've been' with whom he really wanted for his actual #2. He probably was thinking the same thing we thought--how on earth could WH's marriage to BB last that long?! Imo, in KC's mind there was no end in sight for it--no way WH was going to be his #2-- and so he decided to settle for less.

And settle he did as is reflected in his dour wedding face on their wedding photos and subsequent actions on his own honeymoon, by the fact that nearly all photos of the two of them (KC & CB) show an emotional distance between them including the open-eyed 'kiss' in NYC--the reference to her as 'a good partner' and his portrayal of their relationship in the 'all I want from you lyrics' to name but a few of the red flags.

Then there's the matter of the tiny engagement ring he originally gave her reflecting a real lack of enthusiasm on his part right from the start. I could see if the ring were small but had some sort of sentimental value (like his grandmother's ring, etc.) but there are reports he deliberately chose a small stone to prove to everyone (including himself no doubt) that she was not a 'gold-digger'. Well the fact she jumped at the chance to get a bigger rock, forgoing the original ring he proposed to her with, proves otherwise, now doesn't it? In addition to the small ring incident, I've read stories about him insisting that her wedding gown be given pro bono--actually quid pro quo when-- in exchange for all the publicity the wedding presumably would engender. The whole wedding itself seemed like nothing but a publicity stunt (an early version of the Kardashian wedding) to generate media buzz and re-invigorate public interest in him. Her tacky paparazzi-covered baby shower for her third pregnancy is further evidence of this. I wouldn't doubt whoever was associated with the events was contributing at least part of the fees in exchange for the publicity. And although they tried to carefully foster the ridiculous image of him loving her so much that he forked out big bucks for the lavish wedding--and European honeymoon--behind closed doors he was supposedly livid at the money she was spending shopping for designer clothes in Italy and ordered her to return them (national enquirer in fall 2004 reported this incident). And while most of these things are rumors and tabloid reports, they completely dovetail with his own behavior of buying the inexpensive engagement ring, the pained look on his face on their wedding day and making sexual advances to another woman on their honeymoon. Just shows his heart wasn't really into the marriage from the start.
See, I would like a vintage engagement ring, especially an art deco estate ring from the 20s. Those things are beautiful! I thought I read where it was that loudmouth Joan Rivers who pointed out how small it was, and shamed KC into buying a bigger one. He shoulda stood his ground and really proved that CB wasn't just there for the money and the bling.

I bet if Kevin had proposed to Whitney (in another universe/timeline/plane/whatever) and given her a vintage ring, and they showed up at a red carpet and Joan Rivers tried that mess, Whitney would have shut Joan down.

Joan Rivers: Good evening, guys. You look great. Kevin Costner and Whitney Houston, everybody. Get to making ridiculously good looking babies, already, would you two?
Whitney: Ha, ha! Girl, you crazy!
Joan Rivers: Let me see the ring.
Whitney shows it.
Joan Rivers: Oh my G-d! I need my prescription glasses to see that puny thing. It's so tiny. And where is that cut from? Van Cleef & Arpels? Tacori?
Whitney: Um, no. Joan.
Joan Rivers: Harry Winston at least? Michael B.?
Kevin: None of the above. It's classic vintage art deco. From the 20s. It's an estate piece I found while we were in—
Joan Rivers: You couldn't even spring for Tiffany, Kevin?!?! What a shame. It makes my daughter's ring look like it just had a baby. You could have done better than that for a superstar.
Whitney: Well, I didn't ask him to clean out his wallet, Joan. That's not even necessary.
Joan Rivers: Honey, we all know you love to stand by your man. In the case of your last marriage, a little too much. But this little ice chip in a tin band is not up to par, Whitney.
Whitney: You know what Joan, we're not into being flashy. Anyway, I had a bling-bling engagement ring on my first marriage and look what that got me. I think it's better for everyone, including you, to try to be tasteful.
Kevin: I tried to warn you, Joan.
Whitney: Like your makeup for instance, Joan. It's a little sharp and shrewish for a woman your age. Instead of worrying about the rocks on people's hands, worry about what all that Botox and face-stretching is doing to your personality. Oh! I see Quincy (Jones). A man with real class, which is much needed right now. Let's go, baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual observer (View Post)
Put it this way GobSmacked, I tend to dislike overly aggressive, pushy, scheming, calculating, attention-seeking, self-promoting, manipulative parasitic fame-whores in general. I guess it's a trade-off--she gets to pretend she's a celebrity by hanging onto one whenever she's within 100 miles of a camera and he gets someone who's learned to put up with certain behavior for which any self-respecting woman would've given him the boot many years ago--and that would've included Whitney. While my natural tendencies would make me feel sorry for CB, I've read too much about the evolution of their 'relationship' (which I am fairly certain started off being nothing more than just another one-night-stand for him) not to draw my very scathing conclusions of her. And the fact that he appears so unhappy--pained--in his own wedding photo doesn't help mitigate these feelings. Although I reached the conclusion about his lack of enthusiasm early on (within the first few days of Whitney's death) without anyone else's opinions to cloud my own opinion of what I was seeing--I have since read many, many comments from disparate sites--many of which occurred contemporaneously to the wedding event itself--wondering why he looked the way he did. here are just a few:

The remarkable thing imo about these comments is that they were written without the hindsight of KC's eulogy--the first one in particular notes that he does not look like he was marrying his "True Love". No one could've known how deep the bond between KC & WH actually was at the time nor who that 'true love' really was. Except for the last one they were written without knowledge of his honeymoon antics either. Very observant of the posters at that time. Very prescient.

And I've long-suspected--and even my earliest posts here reflect this line-of-thinking--that not only circumstances (fate, if you will) can thwart God's Perfect Will for someone's life--but people can as well--and this is true of the Kevney dream. I placed BB firmly in that category of interfering people and CB only to a lesser extent. I had thought of her as more of a tangential participant in the derailing of the KC-WH romance. But then I read the circumstances surrounding how CB so very obviously deliberately targeted Kevin--would not give up even 6 years after their (presumed) first encounter in which he rebuffed her--she kept trying until she finally got him in a condition of vulnerability and weakness. At first I hadn't realized just how vulnerable he was to her scheming, manipulative advances. I knew his career had suffered some missteps, but I have since read about the myriad of box-office flops , about his own need to have his confidence built-up (his words in relation to needing CB to do that--my gawd!--just the thought of that situation). It was then I realized just how truly vulnerable he was to someone imposing her will on his life. That made me even less of a CB fan. She was not just a run-of-the-mill gold-digging fame-whore ISO a Hollywood meal ticket like countless others --no she was more scheming and more persistent than even that. Of course, she paid for it by the honeymoon humiliation which showed everyone that the so-called 'second chance at love' nonsense was nothing but his press agent's spin.

Yeah, he just does not look impressed on his wedding day. I'm thinking: She's cute, she's throwing her arms all up around him, and he all, but him? Geez! At first I thought maybe it was hot, the sun was in his face and he was squinting, this that and the other. But he just looks bored, plain and simple. And the canoe ride? I understand that some things are romantic, but that just seemed juvenile. Like it was straight out of one of those MTV "Sweet 16" nightmare reality shows where some bratty girl acts like a tyrant for a day and makes grown ups do stupid things. It was right up there with this wedding in for a girl I went to high school with. Man, she had a raggedy old horse drawn carriage riding through the decrepit streets of Detroit on her wedding day. Some girly fantasies need to be put away with the Barbie dolls, OK? Sorry! That's my last catty comment about his second marriage! It's his wife, his life and ain't nobody ask me and my lips are sealed after this.

I agree--Whitney is not acting--as a woman I am certain she is fantasizing about being taken by Kevin for real. No way is she a good enough actress to fake that. I can't believe for a second that she was imagining it was (shudder) BB lifting her up either. ewwww....

btw--great idea for the screenshot--only us shippers would fully 'get' it.[/QUOTE]

When I first saw The Bodyguard, I thought the expression on her face was a little, well, that something extra was behind it. Like I know it's a thrill for a hot guy to rescue you from a mob in a club, and beat up the riffraff to clear a path out, but she looked like she was in ecstasy.

And then he hit it & quit it. Jerk. I knew Frank Farmer was a tightwad load of trouble when he took a beautiful superstar to a greasy dive country bar for dinner. What kind of date was that??? I mean, they didn't even have linen table cloths or a snotty maitre d'! When this movie first came out and I was complaining about it, my cousin stuck up for Frank and told me to can it. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatrolafenice (View Post)
YES! Pretty please!!!!! And I loved the Perfect Gentleman update ... as someone said "it was all warm & fuzzy"! 'Can't believe I lasted almost an entire week without one of your convos!
You are welcome.

The last post was a complete accident! And I was doing so well ...

Last edited by GobSmacked82; 05-14-2012 at 08:00 PM