View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

I'm not sure how much I like the Evelyn story or character (she's kind of a bitca, but that does play into how even our heroes can be tremendously flawed), but I do like the idea of exploring how people idolize others and make them into something that they just cannot possibly be. It works with Colin very well. Evelyn...well, at least it gets good when Edna gets involved and it's all comedic. Especially when she fires Andy, hee.

"I remember one winter in Calgary..." Hee. An inside joke I actually get! I'm assuming that making the actor known for a musical or two (Treat) a terrible actor is also an inside joke. Everwood didn't get meta very often, but some of them were pretty fun.

You have really got to feel for Colin. First, at the lunch table when he has no idea what's going on with Amy acting like a bitca. And when he doesn't understand why Ephram doesn't like him. Aw.

Betty got most of the funny lines, but I'll add two more:
  • Bright: "I've always been fond of you, I'm just... I'm shy, you know." Ephram: "Alright, name one thing you like about me." Bright: "Just one? How about a thousand? You're... sensitive, you're extremely clean..." Now that's Hoyay!
  • Edna: "If some person wearing all black asks me what's their motivation, I'm liable to smack 'em."

Ya'll already said it about this episode, so I'm going to agree with a bunch of things already said.

Quote:
I like the little “Arney” guy, he’s such a little weenie. There’s so many of the S1 characters I’m assuming they cut some out just to focus on the main cast. The casting for the series is so spot on. Minus the red hair lady: I’m glad she got cut out.
Lots of funny and memorable S1 characters, for sure. But I definitely agree that it was good that some got cut out to focus on the main characters. The local townies could be fun, but it was always about the main cast!

Quote:
Delia at the poker table...so adorable. "I have expressive eyes?!"
She so does have them! Those final few seconds when she's in costume, you really see how expressive those eyes can be

Quote:
I don't understand why Andy had so much difficulty learning his lines. From what I know....medical school requires a huge amount of memorizing.
Yeah, it makes absolutely no sense, heh--only eight episodes previous, "Deer God", Andy remarks about how he remembers everything he ever read in college--but I think that they chose Andy to be a bad actor because of the in-joke factor with Treat Williams.

Quote:
Question: Why did Edna say to Evelyn, "Are you sure you should drink that?" When was she told about Evelyn's condidtion? Edna appeared surprised to see Evelyn come into the bar and actually said, "I thought you were still in NY"
I think that Edna can just see that Evelyn has some type of cancer because of the..whatever you call the thing wrapped around Evelyn's head, presumably to hide the effects from chemotherapy. Or Edna's psychic. Either one.

Quote:
I hated Bright calling Ephram a "whack job". Why couldn't Bright see where Ephram's tirade was coming from?
I don't know, Ephram was pretty much acting like a "whack job" at that point, in my opinion. Sure, he was doing it because of Amy and he was frustrated and just wanted to be left alone, but he was so frickin' mean to Colin and unnecessarily dramatic. Use your quiet voice, Ephram, hee.

Quote:
I could ramble on about this episode and I have before in the past, LOL, but throughout this episode I was so annoyed with Amy. The scene at the Brown's even though whenever Ephram delivers the line of, "I don't know....maybe he thinks I'm pretty" cracked me up beyond words, to the cafeteria scene, Amy was really cruel and insensitive. I understand why whenever looking at the big picture but inserting myself as Ephram during those moments, I cannot imagine how he felt because that must been so painful. Amy was my favorite character throughout the entire series and that never wavered even throughout her bad moments and that's all thanks to Emily but I wanted to strangle her while watching this episode admittedly.
Yay! So great to have you in the Rewatch, Michelle! I also love the "pretty" line so much, hee. Ephram's snark is a thing of beauty! And episodes like these are definitely when it's hard to be an Amy fan like a lot of us are. She's hard to like when she's being so childish. Especially when you see the look on Ephram's face. Aw, poor guy.

And, definitely, Emily's acting is the only reason why we can make it through some of this behaviour. Emily fully commits to both Amy as a great and nice girl, and Amy as a childish brat. She handles both with such care. I can see why Emily liked Amy so much, because she gets to play everything.

I do agree with chibiT's comment about how she really is still just a child at this point, so while her behaviour isn't easy to excuse, at least she definitely grows from it later on. Which is one of the more satisfying journeys for our younger characters.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood