Fan Forum Star

related to teen wolf how? like adolescent life and growing up

i think it would have been nice to have these kinda movies when i was that age

{}
fire for a heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodsmariano (View Post)
Can you elaborate on why you didn’t if you don’t mind sharing?

I read reviews/comments comparing this movie to Teen Wolf

hadn’t thought of that before
Oh sure, tho not much to elaborate For me it felt too much or hyperbolic I think. Especially I couldn't stand to her mother. Also, it wasn't that touching nor surprising for me. It was cute that's all

I guess they saw relation with transforming into a beast, controlling it, growing up and yeah also teens

Last edited by lessismore; 03-15-2022 at 05:56 AM
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah I think people are actually comparing it more to the 80s movie with Michael J. Fox (which I have seen) given that this is a movie as well more so than the show that’s based on that movie (which I haven’t really seen but I know some things about)

I feel like 2 of the most formative coming-of-age movies featuring female teens as the lead for me growing up were Princess Diaries 1 and the Freaky Friday re-make also featuring good mother/daughter relationships and friendships so there were some for me but it would’ve been nice to see some more I agree fire for a heart

if I had seen the first Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie growing up that probably would be another one for me too falling into that category

ah okay fair enough

I did almost tear up watching this movie like I said earlier

Spoiler:
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:56 AM
Moderator Support Team

How 'Turning Red' Breaks Away From the PIXAR Mismatched Buddy Duo Motif
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

yeah it’s nice how this had some different dynamics that we haven’t seen before

didn’t even realize that that was true for most Pixar movies
Old 03-15-2022, 09:56 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Me neither, if most Pixar movies have leading duos I never noticed that before lol.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

For the first one, I was thinking about how familiar this movie is in many points to another movie I saw, and yeah it was Bao...

They are also mentioning references and parallels to the Teen Wolf, 1985 MJ Fox movie.

Awww I've missed all easer eggs! Cute

Last edited by lessismore; 03-17-2022 at 06:59 AM
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

for people who've seen the movie

currently watching some Lizzie McGuire and reminding me of this movie

read an interview with the director saying she was like influenced by Lizzie

I’m honestly a bit surprised there was no mean girl in this movie that was in almost every 2000s teen show/movie

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 03-17-2022 at 11:07 PM
Old 03-18-2022, 01:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I'll be watching this tonight. Looking forward to it!
Old 03-18-2022, 03:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That reaction video is how I watched the movie She was done with the mom
That mother was just too much, so it felt so hyperbolic for me. Kinda kills the enjoyment...

Spoiler:

It is really funny how 2000s is nostailgia now I remember boybands and tamagochis in my time tho, had a crush for a boyband too. I loved Take That Remember that one? I still adore Robbie Williams, huge crush And then at school a guy was just like him, had a huge crush on him too And I never used tamagochi but it was popular in my time too.

Ohh Lizzie was cute. Had been so long that I watched it

I loved the movie team is all women, that is really nice.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Spoiler:

I really like I’d Wait for Life by Take That
Old 03-18-2022, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by livstevi21 (View Post)
I'll be watching this tonight. Looking forward to it!
I look forward to your thoughts!
I am an original”
msstock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

I just finished watching it.

The first 10-20 minutes had me laughing out loud. I don't think any PIXAR movies have ever made me laugh so much before, so that was a nice change of pace, though of course, I would be expecting some more tearful moments later in the film. Mei Lee's mother was overbearing and over the top with the way she completely misinterpreted everything in her daughter's life. But then, don't all parents embarrass their kids at some point? I don't think my mum was ever that embarrassing for me, luckily haha, but I'm sure a lot of kids had to go through that phase, and it's always at the age when you're going through 'changes'. I actually found Ming Lee to be very very funny, at least in the first half of the film. Sandra Oh was awesome.

As for Mei, she was also very funny and very teen. I couldn't necessarily relate to her grade A student status, (I was a C average with the occasional B), but I could totally relate to the boyband love, though it wasn't until I was 14 that I started to like boybands like Busted and McFLY. I loved going to their concerts. I think my favourite part has to be when Mei started drawing the guy her friends crush on, then she starts to crush on him too and goes into total secret mode with the way she crawled under her bed to continue drawing and then panicked when her mum would walk in and her notebook wasn't hidden away. Yeah, NEVER ever let your mum see your personal notebook/diary.

The dad was less animated and more calm, and had less to do. There's been a lot of grandmother/mother/daughter relationship stories lately and I could see noticeable similarities to the relationship of Mei Lee with her mother and grandmother with Mirabel and her grandmother. It would be nice to see the father figure get more action again.

In all, I really, really enjoyed it. The third act for me was a bit hit and miss, but since I don't have much time tonight to go into a complete in-depth review I will save more thoughts and explain another time.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think this movie is about the Asian culture of parenting which is too perfectionist and puts a lot of pressure on the children. A lot of the population deals with this issue so its good to have a movie that touches on that.

I still have to watch the ending.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Obviously I couldn't relate to that side of the story because I'm not Asian, but that doesn't mean I didn't understand the context of the story, I enjoyed that aspect of the film. It obviously was quite a personal story for the director that she wanted to tell.
Reply   Post New Thread