Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

tell him to bring Ewan along -

Quote:
Go Big or Go Home: Taking Risks in Life, Love and Tattooing by Kat Von D. On the tattoo she did on Ewan McGregor.

The needle artist who inked Hollywood star Ewan McGregor has revealed the secrets of his stunning tattoo. Ewan turned to Kat Von D, a worldfamous artist and the star of hit television show LA Ink, for the striking design. He worked closely with her on the detailed body art, which features five black roses, a dagger embellished with a Scottish thistle, a large red love heart and the names of his wife Eve and daughters Clara, Esther, Jamiyan and Anouk.

Ewan, 42, originally from Crieff, Perthshire, spent several hours at Kat’s High Voltage Tattoo studio in Los Angeles and is so thrilled with the final result that he is showing it to the world in her new book Go Big or Go Home. In the book, Kat explained: “When Ewan decided to get his tattoo, the idea was to use things about him that were never going to change – so we decided this was where he is from and his love for his family. “He already had a tattoo with the names of his wife and three daughters but when they added a fourth girl to their family, he wanted to incorporate her name into the tattoo. “He contacted me about working around his existing inking and complimented some of the black and grey roses he had seen in my work. “I am always more than happy to tattoo roses. I was excited to see what he wanted to get.”

Kat, who has already inked Hollywood stars including Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Harry Styles and Pink, admitted that Ewan’s body art ended up being much bigger than he expected. She said: “The drawing he had brought to my LA studio was much smaller and he didn’t plan on it being so big. “But regardless of the final size, the emotional impact is there. "The goal was to add a new banner at the top of the piece, with his youngest daughter’s name spelled out in cursive [with the letters joined], while the five black and grey roses represent the five most important women in his life.” Ewan hit the big time with his role as heroin addict Mark Renton in Danny Boyle’s cult film Trainspotting. He went on to appear in a string of box office hits including Star Wars, Angels and Demons and psychological thriller Stay, staring alongside Ryan Gosling and Naomi Watts. Ewan and his family are now based in LA after moving from London. The couple adopted Jamiyan from Mongolia in 2006 and Anouk in 2011. The movie star was happy to let Kat, who has more than 100 designs on her own body, use her artistic flair and valued her input so much he allowed her creative side to run wild. She said: “All in all, it was a treat to work on this tattoo. Collaborating with people like Ewan is artistically satisfying. "Because he is an actor, the only thing I had to be conscious of while doing the tattoo was to make sure it didn’t go much lower on his arm than it already was. "Concealing a large inking during long periods of filming a movie is a job of constant upkeep and tattoos that are harder to hide can become vexing. "It was fascinating to listen to Ewan’s perspective on life and work – I love to meet people who are passionate about what they do and how they do it. "Ewan was very open about his career and said he was extraordinarily arrogant when he was younger. "He also said it just felt like he hit the ground running because he was meant to be an actor. He didn’t ever question anything career–wise because he just did exactly what he wanted to do. "He said this sort of arrogance was not negative and makes him who he is.” Kat, 31, always admired Ewan’s career, and during their session, he told her he finds working on independent films much more gratifying than starring in big–budget blockbusters. She added: “Ewan has always approached his career with clear intent, making well–considered choices about the films he’s in and the roles he takes on.

"He’s had the luxury of not having to answer to anyone in terms of his work. "He can read through scripts that agents send and decide what he wants to do. "Most of the time, that means he chooses to work on independent films, which are more satisfying creatively for him than they are lucrative – simply because they are not about box office sales and earning back investments. "They are about art and tackling off–beat or even more controversial subjects with greater scope and depth. "Ewan says he has enjoyed the studio movies he has made but, as an artist, I can understand how much more fulfilling it is for him to be involved with independent movie–making. For that, I admire him even more.” Kat has built a solid reputation as a tattoo artist and her television series, LA Ink, ran for five successful years. She got her first piece of body art aged 12 and quit school at 16 to train as a tattoo artist. She is also the author of two New York Times best–sellers – High Voltage Tattoo and The Tattoo Chronicles – and is the creator of exclusive make–up and fragrance line Sephora. She said: “Over the years, I’ve worked with plenty of celebrity clients to create one–of–a–kind designs. "Tattooing has changed my life. So many people have big dreams but rarely act on them. I’m lucky to have a career I love. "When I ink, energy buzzes around me – a current of people, music, talk and laughter. I’m focused on skin cells, the needle and the sound of the tattoo machine humming its own little mantra. "I am absolutely present. The entire shop could be flying away in a tornado or sinking into quicksand and I’d still be nowhere else but there. "In a world of multi–tasking, constant glancing at cell–phone screens, tweeting and emailing, tattooing gives me a sense of quiet and peace. It’s beautiful.” Go Big or Go Home: Taking Risks in Life, Love and Tattooing by Kat Von D.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/REVEALED Ink redible secrets of Ewan's five roses%3B TATTOO ARTIST...-a0326187908
Old 01-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's too much tattoo for me. I prefer none.

Funny if one day I'm at Mr. Louisiana's cousin's house, the movie producer, and Ewan shows up...
Old 01-21-2016, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
That's too much tattoo for me. I prefer none.
Agreed.
I am waiting for the day he adds Sids name somewhere.

Quote:
Funny if one day I'm at Mr. Louisiana's cousin's house, the movie producer, and Ewan shows up...
would you have a heart attack or act emotionless?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm surprised Sid isn't there!

Haha, I'd play it cool (yet screaming on the inside).
Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I'm surprised Sid isn't there!
It's only a matter of time. He'll dedicate his left arm to Sid.

Quote:
Haha, I'd play it cool (yet screaming on the inside).
this is you

Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
It's only a matter of time. He'll dedicate his left arm to Sid.

Quote:
this is you
Indeed!

Her story had one of the sad endings.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I hope Ewan's Sid tattoo is more creative than a photo of Sid.

Quote:
Her story had one of the sad endings.
for a movie about love, everyone should've found [romantic] love.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Alan Rickman wasn't a good husband to Emma Thompson in the movie.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

How dare he!

Ewan attending the premiere of a Dan Radcliffe movie - Swiss Army Man - @ Sundance

Ewan McGregor and Eve Mavrakis attend a Cocktail Party Celebrating 1th Taormina Film Fest in Los Angeles 2016 at Italian Cultural Institute Of Los Angeles on January 21, 2016 in Los Angeles, California

Last edited by LilMouse; 01-23-2016 at 06:44 PM
Old 01-24-2016, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Great pics.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'd wear Eve's boots
Old 01-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

They're cool.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend