Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Master Fan

The Craftsmanship of Ewan McGregor: Analyzing the Acting

Thread idea stolen from the Orlando Bloom board. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Ewan McGregor is one of the more underrated actors out there. Despite all the critical acclaim, he has had ZERO Academy Award nominations (though I remember at least one Golden Globe nod). He has also been pointed out as one of the bright spots in movies such as Star Wars (which aren't exactly critically-acclaimed).

Discuss how good or bad Ewan's acting has been throughout his career, what his strengths and weaknesses are, etc.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I think one of his weaknesses is his American accent. In movies like Nightwatch. BHD and Velevt Goldmine there were certain times when you could hear a little bit of his Scottish accent. I give him credit though for trying to do an accent because it is difficult. I know I could never attempt an accent that's not my own cause I'd make a fool out of myself.

One thing I did notice about Ewan is that in each movie his mannerisms and the tone of his voice is different. I think he's a great actore because there's so many other actors/actresses out there that act the same in every movie they do. Not Ewan though. He makes you believe that he is the character and in each role he is different.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:06 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I agree with his weakness being his American Accent, but it's soo hard to do a dialect. It takes years of practice and I've often wondered how difficult it would be to already have an accent and try a different accent.

No matter what movies Ewan has done, he has always been the strong point of the movie, regardless of the quality of the movie. He's a scene stealer [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I think the reason why Ewan has been snubbed in the past for an Oscar is

1. He was a fairly new actor when Trainspotting was released

2. The Best Actor Category has always been the toughest category IMO. There are lots of talented actors out there and lots more good roles for actors, than actresses. I don't know why, but it just seems that way..so it makes the nomination process harder and the actors who stick out more will get a nomination. Russell Crowe is always nomianted because he is a strong actor, as is Sean Penn. These two have been nominated 2 years in a row (or at least Russell Crowe has). Sometimes I find it's unfair, because we know they are good actors, and they take away from other deserving actors to be nominated.

I hope this year is Ewan's year. Moulin Rouge was his year, but I think Nicole's divorce might have taken the spotlight off of Ewan. Let me explain: Nicole did a great job in Moulin Rouge, as did Ewan, but Ewan was not going through a huge divorce. This was Nicoles first role without Tom and I think people were excited for her to see that when her and Tom divorced, her career soared to the top. Since most of the focus was on Nicole, a lot of people didn't really focus on Ewan. I also think of Baz had been a huge director like Scorsese or Spielberg, then the movie would have had more attention. I know it had quite a bit of attention, but only that it was nominated and was the first musical since Oliver! to be nominated or it could be the first musical to win Best Picture since Oliver!

Baz is underrated as well.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 11-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by P Y R O:
<STRONG>Thread idea stolen from the Orlando Bloom board. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

</STRONG>
Idea stealer! Thread title stealer! Boo! Hiss!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Okay, Ewan is cute and all, but in terms of acting, I think hes simply all right. I cant say much though, as the only movie I remember seeing him in is Moulin Rogue.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by steffieweffie:
He's a scene stealer
I am so happy he's a scene stealer. He has so much charm and charisma. It's difficult not to like him in his movies b/c he's always the highlight.

I agree with all the reasons you gave to why he's never been nominated for an Oscar. I also think another reason is that he chooses risky roles and the Academy usually nominates conventional roles. I hope he gets a nod soon b/c he is overdue for Oscar attention.

IMO even though Nicole Kidman was very good in MR I think Ewan was better. He's what made me become the huge fan I am of MR. I also think Christian is the heart and soul of the movie. It's sad that he didn't get the attention he derserved when MR was released b/c of Nicole's divorce. He is underrated and so is Baz.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Master Fan

Ewan McGregor should play a quadruple paraplegic who's autistic/retarded and sings. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] THAT should get him Oscar nods. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Ewan always has this presence which draws the audience in.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by P Y R O:
[QB]Ewan McGregor should play a quadruple paraplegic who's autistic/retarded and sings. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] THAT should get him Oscar nods. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ok that should get him an Oscar nod b/c anyone who plays a person with a disability gets Oscar attention.

[ 11-27-2003: Message edited Moonlight Serenade ]
Old 12-01-2003, 02:01 AM
Master Fan

The reviews for Big Fish have been good, so here's hoping this is Ewan's year for an Oscar.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 12-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Absolute Fan

Yeah, well he's had amazing films and performances in the past that have gotten him nothing though *sigh*

The thing is, he's a great actor that everyone can appreciate as such. My mom, who doesn't even like movies much, will see Ewan in a movie and go, "Wow, he's really really good. He's really talented, isn't he?" I agree that not only does he pick different types of roles, but he also uses a completely different tone of voice and acting style for each character. A lot of actors play different roles and play the emotions right, but it still feels like a well played out scene, as opposed to a three dimensional person being portrayed.

Rach
Old 12-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

There's actors who always have the same tone of voice in their movies and always play the same characters. Ewan isn't like that though. He's the only person I can think of who has went from a drug addict to a rock star to a jedi and then a poet. If the only reason why Ewan hasn't gotten an Oscar nomination is b/c he is "new" it's a bad reason. I had no idea who Adrian Brody was until he was nominated.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Master Fan

I've known Adrien Brody since The Thin Red Line, but I didn't exactly follow his career.

Ewan's a very underrated actor, but the problem is that (1) the Best Actor race is easily the most competitive, and (2) Ewan hasn't exactly been making "Oscar-bait" movies. True, there was Moulin Rouge, but the Academy seemed evenly split on that one. Black Hawk Down was an ensemble, so it's hard to single out individual performances.

Big Fish is his biggest chance (thus far).
Old 12-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Absolute Fan

Right, and as much as the Academy would like to think they support 'out there' movies, they tend to stay away from some really great, edgy stuff... like Fight Club, or Trainspotting.

Rach
Old 12-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Do you think Ewan has a chance to get nominated or even win for Stay? I know not a lot of info is known about this film but it's suppose to be like The Sixth Sense but better. And if Haley Joel Osment (sp?) can get an Oscar nomination why not Ewan?

If Ewan doesn't get a nod for BF, YA, or Stay I think his next big chance is Flora Plum. That's if it's made and if he's definitely in it of course.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Absolute Fan

Well I think HJO's nom was most definitely deserved, he was amazing in Sixth Sense [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Of course, several of Ewan's performances could have been Oscar noms but... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I realise that actors just really can't base their worth off of awards. Yeah, it is very nice to win them and generally they go to pretty deserving people. But if Ewan never gets an Oscar, sure it would suck, but that doesn't slur his acting history and ability at all in my mind, or in the minds of adroit movie fans/buffs. All the big movie reviewers that are actually movie buffs, such as the guys at Ain't it Cool, consider Ewan the best leading man of our day. That, my friends, is more important than awards. Making great films is more important than awards. Alfred Hitchcock never won an Oscar, and yet is consistently ranked as the best director of all time. In fact, I think he was really too good, too ahead of his time, for the Oscars. In a similar way, I think that Ewan (among some others) is just too good at what he does; it's too easy for him, and so a lot of people aren't going to see the amazing talent he has.

Rach
Old 12-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Marilyn Monroe never got an Oscar either. I never saw any of her movies so I don't know if her performances deserved Oscar attention but she is still a legend. So, maybe if Ewan never gets a nomination or does but never wins he'll still become an acting legend. (I hope he does b/c he's too great to be forgotten). It would suck though if he had this really great performance that everyone hailed as the best and didn't win anything for it.