Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Starship Appreciation 2

Banner by Johnnie

source

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyb42 (View Post)
Amen! Some music simply cannot be properly appreciated without a vinyl recording

(In fact, I'd like to see a music lover somewhere in the Trek-iverse request a number from the computer and, when the crisp, clear music begins have the character say, "No, no--vinyl recording!")
Agreed. Too bad that Enterprise record player was just a mock up, and not the real thing.

So, if you could take any ship out for a quick hop, which would you pick to pilot?

Last edited by crazy_diamond; 05-26-2013 at 12:25 PM
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
So, if you could take any ship out for a quick hop, which would you pick to pilot?
How far am I going, under what circumstances, and do I have to pick something from the "official" Trekiverse or can I design my own based loosely on a 1965 Kombi? If you're going to insist on canonical vessels, I'm partial to the Miranda class.

"Bob, you can't drive this like you do your average starship. You have to ramp up the reaction and
then gently engage the nacelles or you'll overload the injectors and have to reinitialize!"
"So...goose the throttle and then ease off the clutch or I'll kill it?"
"Pretty much. Yeah..."
lyb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Kombi - Volkswagon camper bus

or

Combi - aircraft that can be used for passenger or cargo ?

The Reliant was Miranda class, wasn't it? I'm partial to Voyager myself. Seems like a good all purpose ship.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Master Fan

"Bob, you can't drive this like you do your average starship. You have to ramp up the reaction and
then gently engage the nacelles or you'll overload the injectors and have to reinitialize!"
"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 03-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

A real sun roof.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

though the Enterprise-D was the best
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Master Fan

Just you wait until I finish putting the "E5C4P3" together (or drawing her, at any rate)...

What would the registry be for a slightly post-TNG civilian vessel, anyway?

As you can see, it's a long way off...And I'm probably setting myself up as a nerd among nerds...

"Pretty much. Yeah..."

Last edited by lyb42; 03-26-2010 at 06:22 AM Reason: adding images
Old 03-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

You've certainly put some thought into it. You're quite the sketch artist. Like that you've included a bathroom. Single bunks ... so there's room for a first officer. Does the designation E5C4P3 have any significance?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
You've certainly put some thought into it. You're quite the sketch artist. Like that you've included a bathroom. Single bunks ... so there's room for a first officer. Does the designation E5C4P3 have any significance?
E5C4P3 wouldn't realistically have any significance in the 24th century, but it does in the early 1980s... Go look through your Journey albums I'm thinking a "crew" of four. Maybe room for a hitchhiker. The idea is for a family "road trip" in a Trek setting. The upper deck is essentially an old-school VW camper-bus (plus el baƱo), while the lower deck handles engineering matters. I'm still trying to think of ways for the propulsion and other engineering to be based on Federation warp-style tech, but be subtly different in fundamental ways. Think of it like a low-budget Delta Flyer, where a ship barely bigger than a shuttle craft is the main vessel, and unconventional means are used to handle matters with well-established solutions because the conventional resources aren't there. I've been using a kombi as a springboard because, for one thing, VW did use unconventional tech in innovative ways (mostly the drive train, but not exclusively). I also confess I'm a Volks-Nut who does actually drive a '65 bus, and I would love to see conversations like:

"Bob, you can't drive this like you do your average starship. You have to ramp up the reaction and then gently engage the nacelles or you'll overload the injectors and have to reinitialize!"

Star Trek has been about Space Cowboys, Space Philosophers, a Space Soap Opera (DS9, anyone?), Lost in Space, and New Kids on the Block in Space. They've never really explored the Federation itself. Isn't it time for "Griswolds in Space"?

"Pretty much. Yeah..."

Last edited by lyb42; 03-27-2010 at 01:12 PM Reason: Typo
Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

hmm ... can't remember if I have any Journey.

I don't know, the Delta Flyer wouldn't have been too much bigger, would it? Looks like you've got efficient use of space, maneuverabilty(sp?) and could whip right into the tiniest parking space, or space dock.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Master Fan

I was thinking today that, when the nacelles extend, they should flop down to a negative camber like a VW's rear wheels do when it's hoisted up, and maybe raise themselves to a positive camber when in use. Since a ship like this would likely have less-than-beefy inertial dampers, it would necessarily have an extraordinarily slow acceleration capability. Once to speed, however, it would be able to almost keep pace with most of the traffic roaming the cosmos. Anyone have any grand ideas on how to do that without warp, transwarp, or hyperspace? Or maybe just a REALLY pared-down version of warp...?

I was also thinking that the Griswolds probably aren't the best example of a Federation family. Maybe the Huxtables--you know; a smart, professional mom holds the family together; a caring and involved father who knows a thing or two more than his kids (understandably) give him credit for; and kids that don't have to be disrespectful, brainless jackasses in order to get laughs or have realistic problems. On the other hand, it might be fun to have at least one occupant be abnormally tall to accommodate the obligatory "VWs are not roomy" jokes.

"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 03-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

um, you're getting a little too technical for me. But yes, it's nice to have decent acceleration, especially if you're trying to get out of a jam.

Just as today, there will be all kinds of families in space. Having said that, hopefully there's more Huxtable style families than Griswold style families in the future.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

great sketching there lyb42
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_diamond (View Post)
great sketching there lyb42
Thank you, that's kind of you both to say. Entirely too kind, I think, but I'm not about to complain about kindness. I've always been a compulsive doodler, but I used to be a lot better at it. Here's more:

"Pretty much. Yeah..."
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

hehe ... tail lights and licence plates seem odd in space. Guess the tail lights would come in handy while in port. And it's not likely governments will give up the revenue from licencing fees.