Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Extreme Fan

Was it paying homage or duplicating events from Wrath of Khan with a twist?

Randy
My DeviantArt page. http://randicus.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 02-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

But that's the point. It's an alternate universe. And I'd be more inclined to agree it was replicating events if the rest of the plot was the same as the original.

*deep breath* Sorry. You just hit on one of my pet peeves. When people don't understand what an AU is.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

But that's the point. It's an alternate universe. And I'd be more inclined to agree it was replicating events if the rest of the plot was the same as the original.

*deep breath* Sorry. You just hit on one of my pet peeves. When people don't understand what an AU is.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Extreme Fan

It is not a real alternate universe. With Spock going back in time, they attempted to create an alternate time-line that is connected to the original (alternate time-line and time-line consistency). It was a silly idea. There would not have been a problem with creating an alternate time-line by remaking the original story with differences. Trying to maintain consistency between the time-lines was foolish.

My favourite is some people continuing the original time-line in games, art, books, whatever, after the destruction of Romulus as if history progressed unchanged.

Randy
Old 02-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Absolute Fan

Kirk didnt die, not really. McCoy revives him soon after with Khan's blood. It was a pointless excercise. It was like watching TOS every time they say the Captain is dead and then he is revived. Call it homage or call it something different I dont really care.

Last edited by CommanderM; 02-04-2016 at 11:07 PM
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouyyir i'ch'Rihan (View Post)
It is not a real alternate universe. With Spock going back in time, they attempted to create an alternate time-line that is connected to the original (alternate time-line and time-line consistency). It was a silly idea. There would not have been a problem with creating an alternate time-line by remaking the original story with differences. Trying to maintain consistency between the time-lines was foolish.

My favourite is some people continuing the original time-line in games, art, books, whatever, after the destruction of Romulus as if history progressed unchanged.
I suppose it all comes down to one's POV on how time travel (as it were) works/affects time. Since it's all theoretical, I guess we could debate until the cow's come home.

But also, I had never seen any of the TOS movies prior to watching this new universe, so I have no prior attachments to the previous movies, and in fact, fell asleep on 3 different occasions while trying to watch The Wrath of Khan.

I definitely don't always think remakes and the like are necessary, but I also don't necessarily think that because something is a remake that makes it inherently bad/less enjoyable/unimaginative. I like the idea from the 2009 version that the timeline has been altered and the ripple effect that has on the Enterprise crew.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouyyir i'ch'Rihan (View Post)
There would not have been a problem with creating an alternate time-line by remaking the original story with differences.
Honestly, I think most established fans would have found that harder to accept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)

But also, I had never seen any of the TOS movies prior to watching this new universe, so I have no prior attachments to the previous movies, and in fact, fell asleep on 3 different occasions while trying to watch The Wrath of Khan.
To me, part of going with an alternate universe was so that new fans wouldn't feel lost. You fell asleep each of the 3 times you tried to watch? But you seen enough to realize that Montalban's Khan and Cumberbatch's Khan don't seem like the same character even if they're both great villains?

Quote:
I definitely don't always think remakes and the like are necessary, but I also don't necessarily think that because something is a remake that makes it inherently bad/less enjoyable/unimaginative. I like the idea from the 2009 version that the timeline has been altered and the ripple effect that has on the Enterprise crew.
Agreed, although I think it depends on how attached you are to the original.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, maybe I just need to make sure i"m well rested and give The Wrath of Khan another shot. And yes, the differences between those 2 versions of Khan are glaringly obvious. Benedict's version is much more cold and calculating. Montalban's has more...i don't know the word...swagger?
Old 02-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
Benedict's version is much more cold and calculating. Montalban's has more...i don't know the word...swagger?
But yes, that seems like an accurate assessment.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Shohreh Aghdashloo Has Boarded ‘Star Trek Beyond’

Quote:
Oscar nominated and Emmy winning actress Shohreh Aghdashloo (House Of Sand And Fog, House Of Saddam) has joined the third installment in the Star Trek series, Star Trek Beyond,
Quote:
The film, which we hear is undergoing some reshoots next week with Aghdashloo playing the role of the High Command of the Federation
Old 03-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

thanks for the info Chris
Old 03-13-2016, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Not sure what to think about them adding a character at this point.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:13 AM
Extreme Fan

Adding a character and doing some re-filming to fit the character in is definitely out-of-the-ordinary.

Randy
Old 03-14-2016, 05:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Yeah bit late in the day for that...
Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

When I see the film, I'll definitely have to try and notice the scenes with the new character.