Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2017, 11:54 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
I love that she wasn't afraid to question him.
Quote:
And that he didn't get defensive about her questioning his decision.
I think that's another reason why I love Kirk & Uhura so much...not only because they had more spark and sexual chemistry in the first movie, but Uhura also wasn't afraid to question Kirk and stand up to him even when he became captain, it shows that she wasn't just a mere subordinate who would just obey her captain's every command without hesitation. Uhura was headstrong and and brave and she's not one to easily back down, she seems like the type who would stand up for what she believes in, and she also showed her headstrong quality when she had bravely stood up to Krall every time in Beyond And I love that Kirk did not get defensive when Uhura questioned him in the first movie, it shows that even from the first movie, Kirk and Uhura had a mutual understanding of each other and by the time Kirk became captain, he already understood how headstrong Uhura was and how she thought of him, which is why he wasn't upset or defensive when she questioned him, in fact, Kirk had the same concerns about his own abilities as captain as she did, which is why he simply said "so do I" to Uhura.
Even though Uhura did not like Kirk in the beginning of the movie, but he gradually gained the respect and trust from Uhura after Kirk proved his loyalty to his crew and his abilities as captain, and eventually they both formed a strong mutual trust and understanding of each other, and Uhura ultimately became one of Kirk's most loyal subordinates, even sacrificing herself to save Kirk in Beyond, and I think Kirk really depended on Uhura as one of his most trusted crew members, she became one of his closest, most loyal and most trusted crew members, she became part of his closest most inner circle of colleagues & friends Kirk also cared about her as one of his most trusted & closest colleagues, such as when Uhura was trying to negotiate with the Klingons in Into Darkness and when the Klingon leader choked her, Kirk looked so concerned for her safety he looked like he was about to bust out there and fight the Klingon leader himself, but he had to refrain himself...nevertheless he was very worried for Uhura's safety at that time
LindaL100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Terrific post! There was a spark between them, but Kirk respects her relationship with Spock. Agree that Kirk came to depend on Uhura's friendship, and respected her abilities, especially as an effective negotiator.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

post Linda and Chris
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Loved the turbolift scene when Kirk asks Uhura if she and Spock are fighting. You can tell that while he's disappointed for his friends, he's also thinking of future possibilities.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Really good scene that
Old 10-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Terrific post! There was a spark between them, but Kirk respects her relationship with Spock. Agree that Kirk came to depend on Uhura's friendship, and respected her abilities, especially as an effective negotiator.
totally agree, Kirk was chasing Uhura for most of the first movie but he backed away as soon as he found out she was dating Spock, even though he was disappointed, but he still respected their relationship. I was initially disappointed in Kirk's character in the beginning because he came across as this cocky & typical playboy who just wants to play around and doesn't respect women. So I was initially expecting him to try to compete with Spock for Uhura's affections and try to steal Uhura away from Spock, because that's what guys like him typically behave, but I was pleasantly surprised when he backed away from Uhura after he found out she was already taken, he respects Uhura and Spock as individuals and respects their relationship, and Kirk practically treats Spock like a brother nowadays. And I'm glad that I had misjudged Kirk's character, he's a more respectable person than I had initially gave him credit for, and he has really matured as a character since the first movie

Quote:
Loved the turbolift scene when Kirk asks Uhura if she and Spock are fighting. You can tell that while he's disappointed for his friends, he's also thinking of future possibilities.
I love that, it was a really cute and funny scene, I laughed when Kirk said to Uhura "are you two fighting? Omg what's that even like?" LOL and then the turbolift door opens and Spock appears before them, and then Kirk asks Spock "are your ears burning?"
But to be honest I don't really like how they depicted Uhura's character in 'Into Darkness', she acted like a nagging girlfriend in Into Darkness it was a little annoying, she was much better in the first movie and Beyond. I'm also disappointed that Kirk and Uhura barely have any scenes together in the last 2 movies, I mean, they had plenty of scenes together in the first movie, but ever since then they've only barely had 1 or 2 scenes together in Into Darkness and Beyond maybe the writers are trying to avoid a love triangle story, so they don't want Kirk and Uhura to have too many scenes together?

Last edited by LindaL100; 10-17-2017 at 11:00 PM
Old 10-18-2017, 06:13 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL100 (View Post)
I was pleasantly surprised when he backed away from Uhura after he found out she was already taken, he respects Uhura and Spock as individuals and respects their relationship, and Kirk practically treats Spock like a brother nowadays. And I'm glad that I had misjudged Kirk's character, he's a more respectable person than I had initially gave him credit for, and he has really matured as a character since the first movie
Completely agree. And yes, we've definitely seen Kirk mature since the first movie. Kirk has more experience now and has become a better leader and captain.

Quote:
I love that, it was a really cute and funny scene, I laughed when Kirk said to Uhura "are you two fighting? Omg what's that even like?" LOL and then the turbolift door opens and Spock appears before them, and then Kirk asks Spock "are your ears burning?"
hee! Yes, it was a terrific, light hearted scene that helped show the characters genuinely caring about each other. The friendships and working relationships have really solidified, over the course of the movies.

Quote:
But to be honest I don't really like how they depicted Uhura's character in 'Into Darkness', she acted like a nagging girlfriend in Into Darkness
hmm ... can't say I felt that way.
Quote:
I'm also disappointed that Kirk and Uhura barely have any scenes together in the last 2 movies, I mean, they had plenty of scenes together in the first movie, but ever since then they've only barely had 1 or 2 scenes together
I know what you mean, but I think the writers needed to focus on developing other friendships. For example, the Spock & McCoy friendship had been overlooked and they hardly had any scenes together until Beyond.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 AM
Absolute Fan

I can understand the writers wanting to develop the other friendships and bonds between the other characters more...since there was already plenty of focus on Kirk & Uhura's relationship in the first movie, I think Kirk & Uhura's relationship was 1 of the main plot points in the first movie, but once it was established later in the first movie that Uhura has been dating Spock, and after Kirk & Uhura had resolved their differences and formed a better and trusting relationship together, I think the writers decided that it was time to move on from Kirk & Uhura's story and shift the focus on developing the other friendships and characters.
However I can't help but still be disappointed by the fact that Kirk & Uhura barely had any scenes together in the subsequent sequels I think it's because I'm such a huge supporter & shipper of Kirk & Uhura that I still want to see them interacting more in the movies...but from the very few scenes that they did have alone together in the sequels, they were still really good scenes nonetheless We've already discussed that cute and funny turbolift scene they had together in Into Darkness, so let's talk about that scene they had alone together in Beyond when they were watching that old video recording of Edison and his crew of the USS Franklin together. I love that scene, not only because Uhura once again showcased her skills and abilities by being the only person on the crew who realised Edison was Krall by recognising his voice, but also because Kirk did not question Uhura, Kirk wholeheartedly believed Uhura and never once did he ever question her knowledge, unlike Scotty did. Kirk has complete confidence in Uhura's skills and abilities and he knows that she is the best xenolinguistics expert on his crew and probably even in the whole of Starfleet, so when Uhura told him that Edison was Krall, he knew immediately that she was right and he quickly informed Scotty on the com about this revelation. Scotty did not believe him at first, but Kirk never doubted Uhura's skills and knowledge, it proves just how much Kirk trusts and respects Uhura and her skills & knowledge, and that they both have such a strong mutual trust and understanding of each other
Old 11-06-2017, 01:35 AM
Absolute Fan

I love this really cute moment with Zoe & Chris

credit: 의사양반
Old 11-06-2017, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Thanks, never seen that before...
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

aw, that was a sweet moment! Zachary looks jealous.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
aw, that was a sweet moment! Zachary looks jealous.
he does doesn't he?

Here's a pic of the same moment between Chris & Zoe
Old 11-12-2017, 04:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Old 11-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Yeah, he's just looking over there thinking 'what about me'?!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
This townie isn’t bothering you, right? Oh, beyond belief.
source
Reply   Post New Thread