Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2022, 11:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
For me DS9 worked better once I could watch multiple episodes together. Made it easier to pick up on the continuing story threads.
Yeah, some sesaons of DS9 are great for bingewatching.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

I recently got Paramount Plus and watched the first episode of Strange New Worlds. I liked the cast, but I found the show a bit limited, similar to Discovery in that way, except more so. I'll see more at some point, but I'm not rushing. Picard is the only new Trek I'm really sold on. I wish they'd do more shows carrying on from where TNG/DS9/Voyager/Nemesis left off and quit mucking around in Star Trek's past, recasting classic characters. I'm eager to see Star Trek advance, not all these prequels. And jumping endless centuries into the future doesn't count. I don't buy Discovery and Strange New Worlds' setting as being 10 years before Kirk. Their vision of that era is not really compatible with TOS. So much so that IMDB has gone and theorized that Discovery is in a different timeline, just like the Kelvin movies are. I'm sure that's not the oficial view, but it does fit. Still, Strange New Worlds is a likeable enough show, with a likeable captain and a likeable crew.

Last edited by sum1; 09-25-2022 at 10:11 AM
Old 09-25-2022, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Strange New Worlds is my favourite of the current shows. To me, it's the most loyal to the established series.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Totally agree..

Old 09-25-2022, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

I watched the second episode. Enjoyable enough. I can see why both of you and many fans would feel the way you do. However, I feel that SNW was built on the foundation of Discovery and has Discovery's style of showmaking. Like Discovery, it is very limited. I don't feel it fulfils Star Trek's potential. I feel those two shows are a step backwards. By contrast, I feel Picard is the true heir of the old Star Trek shows and I wish they'd make more like it.
Old 09-26-2022, 03:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

For me SNW has, on the whole, a strong first season.. I think Discovery's strongest was it's 2nd...

Old 09-26-2022, 04:29 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

For me Discovery improved as it progressed. Like Tracey, I'd probably call the 2nd seaon my favourite. Picard appeals to me the least of the current shows.

Agree with sum about preferring if they set a show after TOS/TNG/VOY/DS9.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Quote:
Q & Q JR.
STAR TREK: VOYAGER, Q2.
STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION, DEJA Q.
source

Old 09-27-2022, 05:14 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Like father, like son.

It would have been nice to have some mention of Q's son in Picard.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I liked the Gorn episode in SNW. That's the most recent one I've seen. I think La'an is my favorite character in the show so far.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Really good eppy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
Like father, like son.

It would have been nice to have some mention of Q's son in Picard.
another thing they have forgotten about

Old 09-27-2022, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

So it seems,. Although if it had to be one or the other, I'm going it was Q.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

I finished SNW season 1. The show has a likeable cast, a dose of good characters and some good episodes, but when I take it in as a whole I dislike it. On the surface, by pursuing the episodic format of the old Trek, it follows classic Star Trek form and on the surface it's not so dark as Discovery. But in its foundation it has that same claustrophobic, negative, dark, threatening feel as Discovery.

Just as Discovery made the Klingons much darker and less relatable, SNW took the Gorn (a dangerous species that Kirk was the first to encounter, at odds with SNW's version of events, and with whom he made some sort of peace), and made them far more savage, with them eating humans and laying their eggs in them. Basically they were turned into a version of the Xenomorph aliens from the Aliens series of films. And what's with all this eating people? Discovery had the Klingons doing that too. Is this some fetish of Alex Kurtzman's?

Showing the same negativity, SNW has a captain doomed to be destroyed, who is haunted by that knowledge, and when he tries to get around that we're treated to a season finale in which we're basically shown he's not up to his job. That's got to be a first for Star Trek. And while I enjoyed the endorsement of Kirk, I hated Paul Wesley's performance as Kirk. He was far too subdued, with none of Kirk's trademark vigour. Bad casting. Negative casting, too. Kirk's vigour powered TOS and also the Kelvin movies. Its absence when Kirk is supposedly present shows how far these new shows have fallen from the heights of classic Trek.

When I think of Discovery and SNW, I think of space, endless night, dark and threatening, closing in around claustrophobic spacecrafts and full of dangers out there. When I think of classic Trek shows I think of bright light shining in the interiors of inviting starships (or a space station in the case of DS9). Classic Trek is optimistic and upbeat, those two new shows are not. The two new shows' approach is artistically valid, but not for Star Trek.

And when I think of the Picard show, I think of sunlight shining on the surface of planets. For all its dark elements, Picard has a positivity at root that the other two shows don't have. It's much more true Trek, picking up where classic Trek left off. It's evolved Trek, more intelligent and mature then the other Trek shows around now, but it's also very much Trek.

Last edited by sum1; 09-30-2022 at 09:17 PM
Old 10-01-2022, 01:33 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Interesting thoughts there..

Regarding Kirk I wasn't a fan of Paul's Kirk as well, but Paul said since Pike was in another timeline of sorts, it wasn't the Kirk we all know. So I'm going to see what Paul's Kirk is like in S2...

As me and Chris have said before, we both think SNW is the best Trek for us, as it as the classic episodic TV feel with a episode every week and also really good crew as well.

TBH being honest regarding 'Picard' I think that is the worse Trek show ever. They have ruined the character of 'Picard and the new characters, didn't like any of them, esp. Raffi..

Old 10-01-2022, 02:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Personally, I think Picard is the best Trek show since DS9, better than Voyager and Enterprise and light years ahead of SNW and Discovery. It's done on a much higher level than the other modern Trek shows. I don't see how they've ruined the character of Picard. He just got older, that's all. I like most of the other characters -Raffi, Rios, Elnor, Soji, though not so much Jurati (I liked her up until she murdered Madox and from then on it was mixed feelings). I loved seeing a big cheerful Riker and also Troi. 7 of 9 really got improved. I liked her for the first ever. Admittedly, I haven't seen season 2 yet. I'll see it when it gets to dvd later this year.