Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2020, 09:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'll likely be beyond lost but might watch this tomorrow
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:43 AM
Master Fan

I thought it was an ok episode.

I'm completely LOST as to how Michael is acting, but yeah sure.

It is kind of unrealistic for Tilly to be the 1st officer, but I did love that "Say yes!" bit with the crew.

As always, loving Saru more with each passing episode. Missed Philippa.

|| Hook♥Emma || Rafael♥Jane || Ash♥Michael ||
|| Danny♥Lindsay | Dylan♥Kelly | Alex♥Izzie | Lucky♥Sam | Emett♥Bay ||
| Lucas♥Peyton | Pacey♥Joey | Clark♥Chloe | Jeff♥Ginger | Angel♥Cordy | Charlie♥Kirtsen | Neal♥Sara |

.bian.carsan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by .bian.carsan. (View Post)
As always, loving Saru more with each passing episode.
He's really proving himself to be a great captain.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

He sure is
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
He's really proving himself to be a great captain.

Saru is proving to be a terrible captain. Who in their right mind would promote an ensign with limited experience and who is NOT a Bridge officer as acting Executive Officer? It's bad enough that Michael was demoted because of love. Because of a man. Who wrote this crap? What on earth was Alex Kurtzman thinking?
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
DR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

We are saying on the whole he is a great Captain, yes all Captains have made questionable decisions
crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:36 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Most of us questioned his decision to make Tilly his acting first officer, but when she has the support of the crew, that has to be taken into account too. Michael was demoted because she disobeyed a direct order, not because of her love for Book. If she had been patient, I'm sure the crew would have rallied around her to mount a rescue mission.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:02 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Most of us questioned his decision to make Tilly his acting first officer, but when she has the support of the crew, that has to be taken into account too. Michael was demoted because she disobeyed a direct order, not because of her love for Book. If she had been patient, I'm sure the crew would have rallied around her to mount a rescue mission.

This sounds like an excuse for Saru's decision. Stop and ask yourself . . . why did the crew - especially the Bridge officers happily accepted Tilly as the new acting XO? Why were they happy that a mere ensign, who was not even a Bridge officer was promoted over them? This makes no sense whatsover.

I understand that many Trek fans do not like Michael or resent that she is the leading character for certain reasons. But this is ridiculous. First the series regresses her character by two seasons and then remove her from the position of XO not long after she had held it for the first time since the beginning of Season One. This is ridiculous. Is Alex Kurtzman and his writers determined that Michael will never hold a higher position as a Starfleet officer before "Discovery" is over? If so, I have to wonder why.

Quote:
We are saying on the whole he is a great Captain, yes all Captains have made questionable decisions
Saru's decision wasn't merely a questionable one. Promoting an unqualified officer over those who are more qualified for the position of XO was a BAD one. And this particular decision does not reflect well upon Saru.

Even if Michael regains her XO position before the end of the season, this whole story arc strikes me as badly written and implausible.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:13 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I quite like Michael as a character. I'm not sure how realistic it was to have somebody who committed munity be given a second chance, but I'm glad that she was and the storyline made it plausible. I admire that Michael is so sure of her personal convictions, but the fact that she threw it away again by disobeying a direct order surely is her own personal choice. For there not to have been consequences for her actions would be completely unbelievable.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I quite like Michael as a character. I'm not sure how realistic it was to have somebody who committed munity be given a second chance, but I'm glad that she was and the storyline made it plausible. I admire that Michael is so sure of her personal convictions, but the fact that she threw it away again by disobeying a direct order surely is her own personal choice. For there not to have been consequences for her actions would be completely unbelievable.
First of all, it bothers me that the Trek franchise has to go down this route again with Michael's character - two seasons after the first time. What the hell is this? Are they trying to say that this is part of her character? That she's not qualified to be a captain, let alone a first officer? Interesting message for the first woman of color who is the lead in a Trek show.

Second of all - Sylvia Tilly as the new XO? Seriously? Over all of those Bridge officers who are more qualified for the position? Michael's second act of mutiny is not a good excuse for the writers to pull this dumb stunt. And it was dumb. The fact that so many Trek fans have no problems with this really says something about this franchise and its fans. Something very ugly.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

I hate michael's mother. She's what I'd call a total jerk, She has been completely brainwashed by romulan nonsense and lost all her sense for family. She only cares about openness but nothing else anymore.
Arrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread