Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

[Discovery] 1:14 - "The War Without, The War Within"

Discovery 1x14
"The War Without, The War Within"
Episode Discussion

“Next on Discovery. . .”

Burnham and the crew are faced with the harsh reality of the war during their absence. In order to move forward, Starfleet must use unconventional tactics and sources to take their next action against the Klingons.

Original Air Date: Sunday, 02/04/2018

One Thing Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I am so excited for this ep

Tracey or Chris could one of you please top this thread when you get a chance?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Thanks for starting

Looking forward to this one...

crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Thanks for getting this started Amy.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:04 AM
New Fan

Can. Not. Waaaaaait!!
laurelsstitchery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

gonna have to watch it tomorrow.... but it gives me something to look forward to tomorrow
Make Them Laugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Didn't get to watch last night. Will try to catch up tonight.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I enjoyed this episode.

Ash and Michael made me feel sad though. So many of the crew are welcoming him back, and Tilly and Sarek telling Michael it's okay to love. Ash was right in that she was the reason he fought off those Klingon instincts in the first place, I hope things resolve themselves a bit better for these two.

I have to say the plan to jump into a cave sounds ridiculous, I'm surprised anyone even suggested it.

At least they've got the spore drive working.

Sarek was good in this episode, he was being more of a father figure to Michael I thought.

Philippa is now Captain? That was a move I wasn't expecting!

Nice though to see everyone back on the ship, and seeing all those interactions again.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Good eppy

- I am Saru more with each passing episode..

- Glad everyone was back on the ship again..

- Good to see Sarek back and I really liked the Michael/Sarek scene, I think their end scene was the best one of them so far. Glad we got scenes of them.

- Good scene with Ash and Saru and also Lily welcoming back on board and the rest of the crew joining in..

- Along with Mel, bit of a bonkers idea jumping into a cave!

- Glad we got Lily/Michael scene again and Lily helping Michael in regards to Ash..

- Good Admiral scenes, like her standing firm and trying to help Starfleet..

- Aww Michael and Ash, it was going to be hard for them and hope they can find a way back someday..

- Wasn't expecting "Captain" Georgiou to return, this is going to be interesting with her in the Captain's chair...

crazy_diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:41 PM
Elite Fan

This episode was so insanely good!!! MORE PHILIPPA!! YAY!! And her as the Captain!! Frak yes!
ChakotaysLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Website Manager

Philippa Even if it's not the same one we knew, I'm glad to see the actress back. I'm hoping if she survives that she will stick around.

It was nice to see the Admiral again too... Loved the Archer reference... but still no explanation as to why the Klingons look different from back then.
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie (View Post)

It was nice to see the Admiral again too... Loved the Archer reference... but still no explanation as to why the Klingons look different from back then.
To me, the one MAJOR mistake Enterprise and Discovery made was what the Klingons look like. They should have kept it like TOS. After TOS is when the Klingons are genetically mutated into what we saw in TNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie (View Post)
Philippa Even if it's not the same one we knew, I'm glad to see the actress back. I'm hoping if she survives that she will stick around.

I am so stoked that Emperor is stepping into her counterpart's shoes!! OMG! It was awesome! And next week looks to be just as EPIC!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

This episode set up the finale nicely. I can't believe that we are already to the season finale for this show

I thought that they would use the "it really wasn't Tyler" reasoning to let Tyler of the hook for the murder of Culber. That is usually what TV shows do when something like this happens to a character and they do terrible things during that time. He will have to live with killing Culber for the rest of his life though since he remembers everything he did during that period.

I felt so bad for Tyler when Michael was telling him goodbye I am hoping she can eventually get to a place where she can at least be friends with Tyler again.

It felt like Sarek was saying goodbye to Michael. Even Michael sensed it so I am worried that he may be on a suicide mission I hope I am wrong though because I really want his character to stay around.

I loved having Philippa take command at the end of the ep. I guess if they had to kill off Lorca at least they replaced him with Philippa for now. I am so curious to see how she adjust to Star Fleet life. Her journey from Terran Emperor to Star Fleet Captain and seeing her evolve her thinking and ideology along the way is something that I really want to see.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)

I loved having Philippa take command at the end of the ep. I guess if they had to kill off Lorca at least they replaced him with Philippa for now. I am so curious to see how she adjust to Star Fleet life. Her journey from Terran Emperor to Star Fleet Captain and seeing her evolve her thinking and ideology along the way is something that I really want to see.
Philippa probably had the reasoning that if Lorca could assimilate into the Federation, then she could do it, and be better at it than he was. Any abnormal behavior that her crew notices, they can chalk it up to her time in a Klingon prison.

I really love that Philippa is now the Captain of Discovery. It's poetic really. She's not taking everything that Lorca had, including Michael. It's all hers now, and that's got to be satisfying for the Emperor on some deep seeded Terran level! lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
It felt like Sarek was saying goodbye to Michael. Even Michael sensed it so I am worried that he may be on a suicide mission I hope I am wrong though because I really want his character to stay around.
I don't think he was saying goodbye to her because he's going on a suicide mission, but because he's putting Michael in a direct path to suffer for whatever choice the Emperor makes, and it could be a deadly consequence. And when it's discovered that Sarek was complicit in giving seemingly free reign to Philippa, he probably senses that Michael will never forgive him for it. Sarek may call Michael his WARD, but he raised her none the less. She is still his child, and as a father, he's got to know it will deeply affect her.

Last edited by ChakotaysLover; 02-06-2018 at 08:54 PM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top