Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thankyou so much Noee. Your video skills have been indispensable the last few days!!!

Kris, you make a very good point.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Loyal Fan

Noee, you are the BEST! Thank you so much!
Old 11-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thank soo much for the vid, Noee!!

After watching the actual thing, what you say makes totally sense, Kris.

If this would have been brought up in an interview person-to-person, like they did a few over the last couple of days, it could have been something else (an overaggressive journalist or something), but this is a recorded interview, with pictures and clips inserted. So I would suggest Tessa and Scott saw the thing before it was actually aried or at least their media people or whatever knew about it.

I'm not working in this business, so it's just a suggestion, but I don't think ET Canada would want to make them mad, by airing rumours like that without T&S knowing about it, and risking that they cut business connections or refuse to talk with them in the future.

But that's just my two cent...
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenoftypos (View Post)
Thank soo much for the vid, Noee!!

After watching the actual thing, what you say makes totally sense, Kris.

If this would have been brought up in an interview person-to-person, like they did a few over the last couple of days, it could have been something else (an overaggressive journalist or something), but this is a recorded interview, with pictures and clips inserted. So I would suggest Tessa and Scott saw the thing before it was actually aried or at least their media people or whatever knew about it.

I'm not working in this business, so it's just a suggestion, but I don't think ET Canada would want to make them mad, by airing rumours like that without T&S knowing about it, and risking that they cut business connections or refuse to talk with them in the future.

But that's just my two cent...
I agree with kris and queenoftypos.

Before seeing the video clip, having only read that DP was mentioned, I thought it had been some random, weird comment. And the comments I read even sounded like they were implying the rumors could be true.

But after seeing the clip, I think it was deliberate. A way of denying it, by mentioning it like this in a sort of mocking way, like, "Can you believe there have even been rumors of....?"

That's my impression. But I doubt it will make certain people stop spreading their malicious allegations.
truly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Dedicated Fan

Just before the rumour was mentioned in the clip, T was saying how their (T&S) personal relationship affects their skating and performance. And right after the rumour got mentioned, she talked about how they have to protect themselves and stay reserved.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Maybe T-S changed there PR-manager? This last interwies look a little different, then they had before. This is interwies with more dranatic aspects, more PR not off there skating, but there privet lifes.
As fro this last interwie. Its really interesting - what Tessa and Scott think about it? And why it was S-P story if they didnt said - o, this isnt truth? or - yes, this is reall truth?
fsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsfan1 (View Post)
Maybe T-S changed there PR-manager? This last interwies look a little different, then they had before. This is interwies with more dranatic aspects, more PR not off there skating, but there privet lifes.
As fro this last interwie. Its really interesting - what Tessa and Scott think about it? And why it was S-P story if they didnt said - o, this isnt truth? or - yes, this is reall truth?
ET is tabloid TV. They specialize in entertainment gossip.

I doubt it has anything to do with V/M's management except that this is a perefct venue to mention gossip and rumors.

Last edited by truly; 11-04-2010 at 08:18 AM
truly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Wow, were those dancing clips recorded after surgery? If so, I think that's a great sign! Also, Tessa's willingness to attend Skate Canada in a coliseum with a TON of stairs and walking is a good sign. Especially since she was concerned about a 3 minute walk during the Olympics! I'm more hopeful that she's finally gotten some relief.

Also, can someone please explain to me the difference between a Roots General Store and a normal Roots?
LoveActually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveActually (View Post)
Wow, were those dancing clips recorded after surgery? If so, I think that's a great sign! Also, Tessa's willingness to attend Skate Canada in a coliseum with a TON of stairs and walking is a good sign. Especially since she was concerned about a 3 minute walk during the Olympics! I'm more hopeful that she's finally gotten some relief.
I think they made this dance video before surgery. When T-S working on "I want a hold your hand" And she walk fast - i dont think this video was made during SC

Last edited by fsfan1; 11-04-2010 at 09:10 AM
fsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Master Fan

Fantastic post, Kris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsfan1 (View Post)
I think the way the DP rumor was handled in this piece was actually rather clever. To address it point-blank, as in, to have Tessa make a statement denying it, is to give it legitimacy, as well as to violate one of her primary aims, which has always been to avoid discussing certain aspects of her private life (more on that below). To have the reporter state it as false is to open the door to further questions from the audience: how does the reporter know that it's false? Why did it arise in the first place? If she's not with David Pelletier, is she single? With someone else? Etc. Explicitly confirming or denying anything about Tessa's personal life in this regard could be a slippery slope. As it is, the juxtaposition of statements in this interview, along with the language and tone, makes pretty clear how the audience ought to take the Tessa/DP story:

Quote:
ET V/O: It comes on the heels of rumor that Tessa was to blame for the break up of fellow Canadian skaters, Jamie Sale and David Pelletier. The book was Scott and Tessa's way of controlling what was said about them.

Tessa: As amazing as this success is, there are some really hard times, and we've had to sort of protect ourselves, and stay a little bit reserved.
If it's being couched that Tessa (and Scott) feel a necessity to combat and protect themselves from very specific nasty, damaging things that are said about them, it's saying without saying it that the Tessa/DP story is meant to be viewed as nothing more than an ugly rumor.

To shift topics a bit and go back to something I touched upon above, I'm finding Tessa very interesting indeed in this latest round of interviews, in a way that I don't think has received much focus. Yes, she's quite open about her injury, but what I'm finding rather intriguing is how candid she's become about certain insecurities and vulnerabilities -- needing to be liked, feeling inferior amongst other skaters, wondering if people are saying things about her. It doesn't present the most flattering picture, but she's also making a deliberate effort to humanize herself to fans. Yes, she's tough as nails to have skated through pain (as is any athlete who plays through injury), but she's certainly not perfect and she has numerous concerns which make being in her position -- smack-dab in the public eye -- that much more challenging than they might be for someone with a different temperament. This is certainly an element of the other point she's made, as Kris discussed, regarding the media barrier and the need to protect themselves, in a way, from the public; it's true of all celebrities, but it's an issue of particular interest for someone with Tessa's concerns. I think it's fascinating that, given that very personality bent, she's now opened herself up to publicly confessing certain of these worries.
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM
New Fan

First, let me say that I don't have the intention to spread any rumors.

Now, how do we know for certain if it happened or not? We don't know and to be honest, it's her personal life and I admire her for protecting it so much. People make mistakes all the time, people fall in love, etc. I am not saying, again, that the rumors are true just wondering what if they are? It wouldn't change how I view her as an athlete, who am I to judge anyway? I really have no idea how long these rumors have been about, I have no idea who started them or why (I'd like to know how the whole thing got started, though, because let's face it, we're all curious people) Anyway, all I know on this matted is that I cannot neither confirm nor deny any rumors because I am not part of Tessa Virtue's circle of trusted people and those are the only ones I'd assume would know.

So really, we cannot be sure. This is not, by any means, an attack on Tessa Virtue's character, which I admire immensely. This is just me saying that we make certain choices in life and that's our business. I won't admire Tessa any less if she is, indeed, in a relationship with a recently divorced colleague nor would I judge her. The only person who knows what really happened is Tessa because it's her life. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my post.
i3013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

I've noticed lots of poppies in these interviews on Scott and the other guys. Is there special significance of the red poppy in November?
LoveActually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

CBC.ca | Q | Past Episodes
(click on Nov. 3rd)

This is, I think, the best interview they've done in this last week or so. It's both entertaining and serious, and at times really touching. Excellent job from Jian Ghomeshi.
Avocagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Loyal Fan

^ Thanks for bringing that over.

I heard it on the radio yesterday, and while the actual interview starts at around 24:30, I think you should all start listening at around 21:30. Tessa the Pumpkin Smasher is most entertaining, as is that entire conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.
BTW, Hacky, love the new sig! Haaa. Guin told me this evening about a Skating Ladies story she'd forgotten to write down: One of the male skaters (I'm blanking on which) had a red glove as part of his costume, and Skating Lady 1 said to Skating Lady 2, "Do you see his hand? Do you see how red it is? That's his hand. It's not a glove -- he painted his hand red. It's really his hand." I mean, really??
Haha, thanks V. I love my crazy skating ladies, so I really appreciate all the awesome stories you and Guin came back with, including this latest one!
hackysack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveActually (View Post)
I've noticed lots of poppies in these interviews on Scott and the other guys. Is there special significance of the red poppy in November?
November is Rememberance Month. On the 11th day on the 11th hour we stop and remember those who fought for us to give us freedom. The poppy is a symbol of rememberance.
Reply   Post New Thread