Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Loyal Fan

Mary Crawley ღ Matthew Crawley - Downton Abbey #2 Because their faces show everything they refuse to say

Lady Mary Crawley

Matthew Crawley

Downton Abbey

Thread Two

Because Their Faces Show Everything They Refuse to Say

An appreciation thread for the epically amazing Mary and Matthew from Downton Abbey. The show is a brilliant and awesome period drama set in a great house in early 20th century Yorkshire. It follows the lives of the great Grantham family and the servants and has recently won 6 Emmy's, been put in the Guiness Book of Records for the most critically acclaimed TV Show and has broken Amazon's DVD boxset records!

Lady Mary and Matthew are distant cousins (4th), hence they share the same surname. When Mary's finance (and the heir to her father's earldom and estate) drowns on the Titanic, Matthew Crawley becomes the new heir presumptive and moves to Downton to learn the ropes.

In the style of Pride and Prejudice, and any decent hate to love romance, Mary and Matthew do not get on at all at first. It doesn't help that Mary sees Matthew as stealing her inheritance (as she's rightful, if not lawful, heir) and that she overhears him insulting her when they are first introduced. As they get to know each other though, they thaw towards each other and begin to fall in love. The second series has recently started and Mary and Matthew have a strong focus - although so far it's been full of heartbreak and angst and rollercoaster ride of emotions!

Reasons we ship them:
  • They have absolutely awesome chemistry
  • Their love/hate relationship is very reminiscent of Darcy and Elizabeth
  • They insult each other using Greek Mythology
  • Their relationship is full of lots of angst and arguing, yet also fun banter and friendship
  • They are both super stubborn and proud characters who just refuse to tell each other what they really think
  • Everyone else wants them to get married to save the family's fortune
  • Both are awesome and complex characters, especially Mary
  • Because their faces are just so expressive
  • Their relationship is a real emotional rollercoaster ride
  • They are just so well matched and completely perfect for each other
You Tube Videos

Hardest of Hearts
I Won't Say I'm in Love
Shattered Ones
How to Break a Heart
Someone Like You
The Winner Takes it All

Shippers

Silverduck2day
LHScott
hlgreenie
ElizaSparrow
PaperGirl
Let The Ball Drop
scherra
Burning Up A Sun
Bella Cullen
Vanora
Neda16
like vines
Sansa
malaguetta
Clementine Woolysocks
prettytinydots
Lynea
Scully_fan
lipsticklullabies
P&B4ever
foxyfreds
TheTruthLies
AragornsQueen
lisztomania
Advo
Lisa**
poehler-bear
ale_tapia
Iris
Guinevereღ
~-Sarah-~
troubled.discussions
albina2
fabulouslyfreckled
jules166
thunder calls
_gloria

Fanfiction/Fanart

Mary and Matthew fanfic community - on ff.net, where new M/M stories get posted quite often!
LJ Community - M/M Monday Madness - where new Mary/Matthew related fanworks get posted every Monday!
Mary and Matthew on Tumblr - A great tumblr blog I found with lots of M/M goodness
Mary/Matthew at AO3 - Great Mary/Matthew stories at Archive of Our Own

Past Threads

Thread 1

Basically they are just epically awesome!

Graphics made by me, so apologies!
Others - Snow White/Charming (OUAT), Amy/Rory (Dr Who), Arthur/Gwen (Merlin), Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter), Darcy/Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice), John/Margaret (North and South) & Chandler/Monica (Friends).
Silver's/Laura's fanfic and LJ.

Last edited by silverduck2day; 10-21-2011 at 11:40 AM
Old 09-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Addicted Fan

OMG LOVE the title! So much truth!

TFTNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverduck2day (View Post)
I agree, though I think at this stage, the London gossip is just gossip. Rosamund doesn't know yet, so I don't think it's too widespread. It wouldn't be difficult for a man like Carlisle to dig it all up though.

I'm wondering what Lavinia's scandal is and how it compares to Mary's...

Oh and any thoughts on a new thread title? Maybe "because their faces speak volumes" or something less cliche!

Rosamund does know. She wrote about it in her letter. Plus, she's made hints to it several times already.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:35 AM
Absolute Fan

I did a google on whether Mary actually had sex with Mr Pamouk and it seems that the internet is divided There is no real consensus on what happened. Some people feel is obvious something happened, others that it was more touch and kiss as opposed to the actual deed. I remember thinking they must have. But on closer inspection, i realise it is actually really ambiguous. And this is obviously something that is done purposefully on the parts of the writers and creators.

But you are right Silver, just the idea of being along with a man, never mind in your bedroom, is enough to ruin a woman forever.

I wonder what Matthew's reaction will be?
Spartacus: Gannicus & Sibyl

Naz
Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh my this title Tftnt!

I always just took it as granted that they did have sex...... then again who knows? I mean the way Mary described it he could have died in the actual act....I always assumed they had had sex.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Addicted Fan

^I think he had a petite mort which triggered the heartattack. And he could have gotten that without actual intercourse. I take his words about Mary remaning a virgin at face value. He wasn't interested in anyone knowing about them either, though, it would of course have far worse consequences for her than him.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Addicted Fan

TFTNT!

I don't think Matthew will be so concerned with if she's still a virgin or not like some men would have been at that time. I wouldn't be surprised if he were hurt by it, though. She didn't reciprocate his feelings until after, but if Matthew was hurt by it, it would be totally understandable. Honestly, I'm not really sure what he'd say.

ETA: silverduck2day, if you're still looking for songs The Mess I Made by Parachute reminds me of M/M. I completely forgot about that one.

Last edited by lipsticklullabies; 09-30-2011 at 08:13 AM
Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm curious how Matthew will react when he finds out. I think it depends a lot on HOW he finds out though, and how much he's told. I can imagine if Mary ever worked up the courage to explain it all to him, he'd react better than he would if only part of the story was exposed in the newspapers or what have you.

I think though, he will be pretty hurt and shocked by it and it will change his opinion of her somewhat. I'm sure he'll soon come round and they'll eventually get together though.

I was wondering if, perhaps, Matthew and Mary nearly get together mid series, then the scandal breaks and it splits them up again til the very end. Whilst that would be as annoying as anything, I can definitely see them doing that.
Others - Snow White/Charming (OUAT), Amy/Rory (Dr Who), Arthur/Gwen (Merlin), Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter), Darcy/Elizabeth (Pride & Prejudice), John/Margaret (North and South) & Chandler/Monica (Friends).
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scully_fan (View Post)
Oh my this title Tftnt!

I always just took it as granted that they did have sex...... then again who knows? I mean the way Mary described it he could have died in the actual act....I always assumed they had had sex.
Me too. And then i got in this thread and realised.. urm.. maybe they didnt. Then i went and researched it some and im even more confused

Wasnt Mr Pamouk naked though? I cant remember..

Naz
Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Master Fan

TFTNT

I love the title!! It's really true.

I honestly at the time assumed that she had had sex with him, but now that I saw it mentioned I realise that we never get any confirmation that that does in fact happen.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlgreenie (View Post)
TFTNT

I love the title!! It's really true.

I honestly at the time assumed that she had had sex with him, but now that I saw it mentioned I realise that we never get any confirmation that that does in fact happen.
LOL! I always assumed the opposite. Maybe when the scandal actually breaks we'll know the truth! LOL!

Oh, and I've set myself the challenge of making an Mary/Matthew video for every episode this series. I finished the one for this weeks last night, it's here:

Series 2, Episode 2

I did one for episode 1 last week, which is this one:

Series 2, Episode 1

I hope you like them, though I'm still struggling for songs!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Master Fan

New videos!!

to watch them
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Absolute Fan

I cant believe Sunday will be Ep3 already Only 4 left Comes and goes so soon

Naz
Old 09-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Addicted Fan

^Yes, I wish the English seasons were as long as the American!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advo (View Post)
^Yes, I wish the English seasons were as long as the American!
We have 8 episodes actually, and a Christmas special, but I agree, it's not long enough!!!

I must admit, whilst more episodes of Downton Abbey would be grand, a lot of US shows really drag in the middle because the series are too long.

Need a happy medium. I like the 13 episodes we get in BBC Saturday night serials - ie Dr Who, Merlin and Robin Hood.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Absolute Fan

Most American shows are also gravitating towards the 13 episode arc. Especially it seems like the cable shows. Network shows seem to have longer seasons. But im not American, so perhaps someone else can expand.

I didnt know it was 8 epis! One more than i thought. Always good news

Naz
Closed Thread   Post New Thread