Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Before Midnight

2012, 108 minutes, color, U.S.A., Premieres

We meet Celine and Jesse nine years after their last rendezvous. Almost two decades have passed since their first encounter on a train bound for Vienna, and we now find them in their early forties in Greece. Before the clock strikes midnight, we will again become part of their story.

Director Richard Linklater continues his enchanting tale of a... »

Cast and Credits

Director: Richard Linklater

Screenwriters: Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, Richard Linklater

Executive Producers: Jacob Pechenik, John Sloss, Martin Shafer, Liz Glotzer

Producers: Richard Linklater, Christos V. Konstantakopoulos, Sara Woodhatch, Kostas Kefalas

Coproducers: Vincent Palmo Jr., Athina Rachel Tsangari

Cinematographer: Christos Voudouris

Editor: Sandra Adair

Composer: Graham Reynolds

Principal Cast: Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy, Xenia Kalogeropoulou, Ariane Labed, Athina Rachel Tsangari, Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick
Source: Before Midnight - Festival Program | Sundance Institute
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Andrew Eaton-Lewis: ‘Part of Before Sunset’s appeal is that Jesse never kisses Celine’
Published on Sunday 30 December 2012 00:00

THERE is a reason why Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy never kiss in Before Sunset.

And if that means nothing to you, this column possibly isn’t for you. You either care about these details – and that a sequel, Before Midnight, is out next year – or you don’t.

A quick recap, anyway. In the 1995 film Before Sunrise, Hawke and Delpy are Jesse and Celine, two youngsters who meet on a train from Budapest to Paris. There is an obvious spark between these strangers, one American, one French, and so, on a whim, they get off the train at Vienna and spend a long night ambling around the city, discussing life, the universe and everything.

By the time the sun comes up, they are in love. The film ends on a cliffhanger – will they stick to their plan to meet in the same place, six months later?

That question was answered nine years later, in 2004’s Before Sunset.

It’s a sadder and, fittingly, more grown-up film. Jesse and Celine are now damaged thirtysomethings. He is trying to make a loveless marriage work for the sake of his young son. She is in the latest of a string of so-so relationships. Reunited in Paris, the spark still there, both come to suspect that in not fully understanding – and grabbing – the opportunity presented to them nine years before, they may have ruined their lives.

Did they though? This is the film’s big unanswered question. The cleverest thing about Before Sunset is that it unpicks the romantic idealism of the first film. How do they know the spark wouldn’t have burned out over a long relationship, as so often happens in real life? Aren’t they living in a fantasy?

It’s a very poignant and erotic film, and part of the reason is that Jesse never kisses Celine. If he does, fantasy becomes messy reality.

Will Jesse get a divorce? Will Celine be a stepmum? Since all these questions are unanswered, the question the first film raises – if you met your perfect soulmate, how quickly could you know for sure? – is left hanging, just in a different way.

The two films bookend each other so well that it’s difficult to imagine where Before Midnight can go. Hawke has said it will bring the story to a conclusion. That worries me. What’s great about the first two films is their lack of conclusion. But it’s still the film I’m most looking forward to next year.
Source: Andrew Eaton-Lewis: ‘Part of Before Sunset’s appeal is that Jesse never kisses Celine’ - Scotland - Scotsman.com

Quote:
Sequels and threequels will not go away

While the big boys (Iron Man, Star Trek, The Hobbit) are returning, 2013 will also provide the third in the Richard Linklater/Julie Delpy/Ethan Hawke ongoing Before… romantic opus. This one finds our chatty lovers in Greece, and is once again written by the director and both actors. Hawke has called it "ferocious", while Linklater says the film ties up the loose ends presented in 2004's Before Sunset.
Source: Cinema preview: what to expect in 2013 | Film | The Guardian

Quote:
In addition to representing Greece with her own film, Tsangari co-produced and stars in Richard Linklater’s “Before Midnight,” which will premiere at the festival. Set in Greece, “Before Midnight” brings Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy back together to pick up where “Before Sunrise” and “Before Sunset” left off.
Source: Short Film from Greece Makes Sundance Film Festival Line-Up | Hollywood.GreekReporter.com
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Like Jesse, his character in “Before Midnight,” he has been divorced, is extremely emotional and dedicated when it comes to his children and is always wondering about the worth of work he chooses. How rare, then, that the young Ethan Hawke and the middle-age Ethan Hawke have been captured, like a time-lapse, in Mr. Linklater’s films.

“ ‘Before Sunrise’ was such an important movie for me because I learned to talk on screen,” Mr. Hawke explained. “Before that, all I had ever been asked was to brood for the camera. ‘Before Midnight,’ because of its sheer existence, ends up being about the passage of time. And yeah, your face falls apart and all that. But what I noticed is how much the same I am, how much of whatever I am is there in each film.”

True to form, Mr. Hawke retains his purchase on boyishness in the movie, but he does seem a little different more than 15 years later. Maybe because he knows who he is.
Source: In His Comfort Zone - The New York Times

Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Whoa! Ethan's Albert Einstein hair at the NYT link threw me! Thanks for the links. I am getting so excited for this movie! Watching "Before Sunset" in the theater was one of the best movie-going experiences ever. I would like to try to stay spoiler-free for this one, as I did for the last, but it is going to be VERY difficult!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Elite Fan

I can't wait for it too

"Before Midnight" filming in Kardamyli

Source: Before Midnight Movie

Quote:
BEFORE SUNRISE
The check-in-every-few-years docu subgenre has found success in Michael Apted's Up Series (now up to 56 Up!). The dramatic version of this idea is Richard Linklater's "Before..." series which will check in with Ethan Hawke's Jesse and Julie Delpy's Celine in Before Midnight as they cross paths again some 18 years after their first meeting. This opening chapter kicked off the Sundance Film Fest way back in 1995 while the middle chapter, Before Sunset, opened at Berlin in 2004. Given his penchant for revisitation, maybe there is some truth to the rumor Matthew McConaughey started that Linklater is eyeing a similar treatment for his beloved Dazed and Confused world.
Source: Sundance 2013: 10 Films to Watch Before The Fest - Best of the Rest | Twitch

Quote:
Before Midnight
Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy promise to wrap up their nearly-two-decade-long narrative that started with Before Sunrise back in 1995 with this third entry in their unexpected trilogy. We will again spend (perhaps just?) an evening with Jesse (Hawke) and Celine (Delpy), this time in Greece, discovering what happened post-Before Sunset and maybe, just maybe, what will happen after the final clock strikes for our star-crossed lovers.
Source:Sundance 2013: Kate’s 10 Most Anticipated Films | Film School Rejects
Old 01-19-2013, 03:54 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:

“Before Midnight”
Synopsis: Now in their forties, Celine and Jesse meet nine years after their last rendezvous in France, this time in Greece.

What You Need To Know: Almost two decades have passed since their first encounter on a train bound for Vienna, but Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke are clearly enamored of the romantic duo of Celine and Jesse, first introduced in “Before Sunrise” in 1995. The trio earn the best misdirection award of 2012 -- earlier in the year, all three of them in separate interviews gave the, “who knows?” answer (though Hawke kind of gave up the ghost) when quizzed about a third picture in this would-be trilogy, but by September they had shot the entire thing in secret. While it’s been called a type of conclusion to this will-they-or-won’t-they romance, Linklater himself has suggested that the picture doesn’t end on so much of a definitive note that they couldn’t do another follow up if they wanted.

When: Park City: the 20th at the Eccles, the 21st and 26th at the MARC. Ogden: the 23rd at Peery's Egyptian. SLC: 24th at the Salt Lake City Library Theatre. And the 25th at the Sundance Resort.
Source: The 25 Most Anticipated Films Of The 2013 Sundance Film Festival | The Playlist

Berlin Film Festival Adds River Phoenix's 'Dark Blood,' David Gordon Green's 'Prince Avalanche,' 'Before Midnight' & More | The Playlist
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Elite Fan

New Images Of Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy In 'Before Midnight'

Could there be any movie at the Sundance Film Festival more anticipated – perhaps with a bit of nervousness – than Richard Linklater's "Before Midnight"? With the third romantic outing for Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, fans are hoping the film honors the remarkable and beautiful "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset," and undoubtedly, the picture is easily one of the hottest pictures that distributors may end up battling for. We'll soon know how it plays as the film premieres tonight, but until then, here are some new images from the movie.

Shot on the sly in Greece last summer, the picture catches up with Celine and Jesse nine years later, as once again they use a portion of the day to reignite their relationship. Not much has been given away about the story, though Hawke had previously teased that, "The biggest change between this one and the last one is the Internet" and that, "I feel like in a strange way we may have come to the end of the story." There's no doubt we're anxious to see where these characters go next, and we just hope it's as rewarding an experience as the previous two films.

After playing Sundance, "Before Midnight" will head to the Berlin International Film Festival next month, and hopefully we'll see it open in theaters soon.

Source: New Images Of Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy In 'Before Midnight' | The Playlist

New Images of Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy in BEFORE MIDNIGHT | The Daily BLAM!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 AM
Elite Fan

reviews

http://collider.com/before-midnight-review/

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sunda...ect-35221.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...-review-414032

tweets from the screenings

Nicholas Slayton ‏@NSlayton
Before Midnight is one of the best films I have ever seen. Wow. Perfect. #sundance

Alex Billington ‏@firstshowing
Before Midnight - Love. I am in love. Wonderful, so wonderful. They did it. I couldn't stop smiling the whole film. Perfection. #Sundance

Ethan Anderton ‏@Ethan_Anderton
Richard Linklater has met and exceeded expectations with the heart wrenching, charming, funny and genuine BEFORE MIDNIGHT. It's a triumph.

Germain Lussier ‏@GermainLussier
Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy live up to impossible expectations with Before Midnight. J’adore. #sundance

BEFORE MIDNIGHT is Sundance's THIS IS 40, but is near perfect on every level. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are just the best onscreen couple.

ThePlaylist ‏@ThePlaylist
The logical extension of the Before Sunrise/Before Sunset films "@modage: Love is hard. #Sundance" #BeforeMidnight

And if BEFORE MIDNIGHT doesn't get a Best Original Screenplay nomination at next year's Oscars, that will be a travesty.

David Fear ‏@davidlfear
Spoiler: Before Midnight is a ****ing masterpiece. I am not joking. #BeforeMidnight #Sundance

Peter Sciretta ‏@slashfilm
'Before Midnight' makes it three for three in the series. This one is more about the difficulty of a long relationship. Part of me loves...

Scott Renshaw ‏@scottrenshaw
All of the feelings. Just ****ing ALL of them. #BeforeMidnight

Steven Zeitchik ‏@ZeitchikLAT
Before Midnight: Some really great writing, wonderful balance of drama and comedy. Linklater at the top of his game. #Sundance

Mike Ryan ‏@mikeryan
Before Midnight is my favorite of the "Before" trilogy. #sundance

Ben Pearson ‏@benpears
BEFORE MIDNIGHT was stellar. Darker than the first two, but emotionally devastating. #Sundance

Alex Suskind ‏@ClassicSource
BEFORE MIDNIGHT: Sweet, funny and romantic. Perfect way to end the trilogy #sundance

Right there with you. RT @mikeryan: Before Midnight is my favorite of the "Before" trilogy. #Sundance

Mike Ryan ‏@mikeryan
Before Midnight is by far the most relatable of the three films. These are now real people, not a caricature of "true love." #sundance

kateyrich ‏@kateyrich
Still got too big a lump in my throat to talk about Before Midnight. Pretty sure it's perfect. Hard to see through all the wistful tears.

Damon Wise ‏@yo_damo
Wow, Before Midnight really kills the box set #Sundance2013 #justmyopinion

even Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty
BEFORE MIDNIGHT was not what I expected yet exactly what it needed to be. It's a perfect trilogy. Wouldn't change a thing.

erickohn ‏@erickohn
BEFORE SUNRISE/SUNSET/MIDNIGHT: Now officially one of the best trilogies ever. #Sundance13
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Elite Fan

"Before Midnight Is Perfect!. I want to see it now!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Is this the title you would like?
My LJ
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks mod

Quote:
The Third Before Sunrise Film Is Not Just Good, It Is Nearly Perfect
By Tim Wu | Posted Monday, Jan. 21, 2013, at 12:41 PM ET

It’s nice to be able to bring good news to the world. Fans of Before Sunrise and Before Sunset should stop holding their breaths. The sequel to those films, Before Midnight, is not only good, but so good it approaches perfection. The film, which premiered last night at Sundance, won’t come to theaters for some time. But if you liked the first two, it will be well worth the wait.

In case you have no idea what I’m talking about: In 1995 and 2004, respectively, director Richard Linklater, working with actors Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, produced two unusual and acclaimed films, consisting almost entirely of dialogue between a man and woman. In the first, the two met for a day; in the second, they met again, nine years later, for an afternoon. In the third film, it is once again nine years later.

Spoiler:
Source: Before Midnight review: the Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy, Richard Linklater sequel to Before Sunrise and Before Sunset is nearly perfect.

Sundance '13: 'Before Midnight' is Endearing, Genuine and Just Perfect | FirstShowing.net

[spoiler] Is the True Star of Before Midnight -- Vulture
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 AM
Elite Fan

great that soon we can watch all 3 back to back
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Elite Fan

Richard Linklater & Julie Delpy @ “Before Midnight” Premiere #Sundance

Review: Richard Linklaters Before Midnight once again showcases Hawke and Delpy

Quote:
I hope Hawke, Delpy, and Linklater decide to try this again in nine more years. I would love to follow them through whatever else they feel like showing, and I suspect that once audiences lay eyes on this one and see how much greater it is than it should be, they'll be actively clamoring for the follow-up.
Me too
Guys, I can't wait for to see this movie!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Extreme Fan

I'm so glad Before Midnight is getting good reviews. I love the first two movies so much. Julie and Ethan are the definition of natural onscreen chemistry.