Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Master Fan

Is Xander Bisexual?

Restarting this thread.

I'll start off with my POV. I say "yes!" I once made the point that the reason Xander can never get along with heterosexual men is because he either can't relate to them or he feels intimidated by them. Afraid that they will make his homosexuality much too obvious by comparison. Which is probably why Xander gets very defensive around other men and tries to out-macho them. He could also be afraid of the attraction he may feel for these other men because he's in denial.

I know that there's the arguement "Well, what about Cordelia?" and "What about Anya?" But you have to remember that before Willow came out there was Oz and on Dawson's Creek before Jack came out there was Joey. Which isn't unrealistic because in real life lots of gay people have plenty of heterosexual relationships before coming out because they're forced to believe that it is what is expected of them. Considering Xander's family you kind of have to suspect that maybe he was afraid to come out because of them.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Master Fan

Xander isn't gay.

Claudia
Old 10-08-2003, 07:54 AM
Extreme Fan

I think Xander is bi.

I agree with most of what you said, Undeclared. I've often had the feeling that Xander was insecure about his own sexuality when he is around other men. He is in denial about what he feels for other men.

However, I think it has also been shown that Xander's attraction to women does not only consist in doing what society expects from you. He enjoys sex with women very much, and thus is more inclined to deny that part of him that is attracted to men.

Well, that's just my 2 cents. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Elite Fan

I think it would be safer to assume that he is bisexual than to declare that he is gay.

It is no secret that I am not the biggest fan of Xander's relationship with Cordelia. I don't think that they loved each other as more than just friends, despite the fact that they have made out and Cordelia said that she loved him. I just don't think it was the right kind of love that would have made their relationship work.

As for his relationship with Anya... I believe that they honestly did love each other. the reasoning behind Xander breaking off the wedding shows just how much he really does love her. It is a bigger testament to his love for her than the speech he made to her back in Season 5.

Does Xander's love for Anya, who is definitely female, mean that he cannot be gay? I don't think so. As has been already pointed out, society says that males are only supposed to be in love with females, and vice versa. Also, We know that Xander's family has had a huge influence on him, his values, and his views of right and wrong.

There is a lot of subtext that could be used as "evidence" that he is gay. For example, his interactions with Larry, especially after Larry "came out" suggest that there may be some uncertainty on Xander's part.

And, as I am sure everyone knows already, I have seen subtext for Xander having had relationships with Angel, Oz, Spike and Riley. That is a lot of subtext.

Then again, I am sort of biased, so maybe that is why I can find such subtext.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:45 AM
Master Fan

Personally, I think he's bi.

I also think he was confused by the fact that he was attracted to some of the guys he came in contact with. Which is why he'd never admit it, to himself or anyone. Because even though he obviously enjoyed being with women, there was a lot of sexual tension and subtext between him and the guys on the show. (Oz, Angel, Riley ...)
Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Elite Fan

I agree, Xan!

I think that be may have been confused, and afraid to admit that he was attracted to males.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Master Fan

He might be attracted to guys, but he likes girls too. Hince, his being Bi.

): )
Old 10-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Master Fan

Well, I can agree that he's bisexual. Sometimes that horny fratboy persona rings too true for him to be only gay. But he's definately not straight. One could assume that Larry bullied Xander because he saw something in Xander that he didn't like about himself (like most bullies do) and then Larry had the courage to come out for the same reason.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Absolute Fan

I always thought there was subtext pointing towards his possibly harbouring homosexual tendencies, especially towards certain other male C's like Spike.

Jacqui - Owner - Paul Wesley Australia
Email Me admin[at]paulwesleyaustralia[dot]com
Paul Wesley Australia | PWA on Twitter | Discussion Forum
Old 10-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Elite Fan

I have changed the title of this thread to reflect the general concensus that he is bisexual, and not gay...
Old 10-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacaroo:
<STRONG>I always thought there was subtext pointing towards his possibly harbouring homosexual tendencies, especially towards certain other male C's like Spike.</STRONG>
The subtext in the final season was the best. I still love it when they were asked "Is there anybody here who hasn't slept with each other?" and they give each other these sly, guilty looks.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:25 AM
Master Fan

I always wondered about Xander. Even though he had like two relationships, one with Cordy and Anya, oh and the little fling with Willow. Honestly I think Xander is Bi, like how he always acted around Angel, Xander was so uptight and was like afraid to talk. And then the same with Spike, except he usually bad mouthed Spike right infront of him, but anyway. He had alot more sexual tension with the guys than he did with the ladies [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

darylbeth
Old 11-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Master Fan

He might have had sexual tension for Angel before Angelus. After that it was pretty much a "Die Angel, Die' sort of tension.

And Spike? Samething, but after seeing him with Anya and Buffy, 'Die Spike, Die'.

): )
Old 11-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Cursed:
<STRONG>The subtext in the final season was the best. I still love it when they were asked "Is there anybody here who hasn't slept with each other?" and they give each other these sly, guilty looks.</STRONG>
Not to mention all the tension with Andrew. And all the little moments the two of them had throughout the entire season.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:38 AM
Elite Fan

Xander and Oz were secret lovers.

Xander and Riley were totally involved.

Xander and Spike were gettin' it on!

Xander and Andrew are hiding in my bedroom acting like rabbits at this very moment...

Okay, so that last one is just one of my many hallucinations... Besides, if it was actually happening, I would be there with them, and not posting here.

But, I digress.

Anyway... Xander was definitely gettin' a little somethin'-somethin' from the guys...