Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1214 (View Post)
That was a good movie, I'm glad I finally watched it. I liked it much better than the current Superman movies.
Well it's viewed as the best one ... with Superman 2... People always debate which one is better...

But way better than the current newer Superman movies for sure.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Melissa...glad you enjoyed the movie
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Nice we all watched it and it was a fun watch... a killing a lot of posts watch as well.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

yea...it's been slow here for a bit...
Old 06-13-2019, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^Guess it starts with me as the mod, my apologizes.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Master Fan

It doesn't help that we had a disappointing season of LoT. I think my rankings are now,

Season 2
Season 3
Season 1
Season 4.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Agree with Melissa
Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Fun facts about Superman (1978)

1. Actors who were originally considered for the role of Clark Kent: Clint Eastwood, Sylvester Stallone, Robert Redford, Bruce Jenner(gulp), James Brolin, Burt Reynolds, Steve McQueen, Al Pacino, James Caan, and... Dustin Hoffman. Arnold Schwarzenegger lobbied for the role, but was ignored. Christopher Reeve was originally turned down for the role because the producers felt he was too young and skinny, but after seeing his screen test they were sold on Reeve. Reeve was told to wear a "muscle suit," but refused. He instead went on a strict diet and physical exercise regimen with Darth Vader actor David Prowse(who also auditioned for both Superman and Non). Reeve went from 188 to 212 pounds during production.

2. Directors who were originally considered for Superman: Francis Ford Coppola(The Godfather), William Friedkin(The French Connection, The Exorcist), John Guillerman(The Towering Inferno), Ronald Neame(The Poseidon Adventure), Sam Peckinpah(The Wild Bunch, The Getaway), and Mark Robson(Earthquake). Peckinpah dropped out after showing up at a meeting with the producers with a gun. George Lucas was offered the job, but had to drop out due to his commitment to Star Wars. Steven Spielberg(Jaws) was also offered the job, but dropped out due to his commitment to Close Encounters of The Third Kind. Guy Hamilton(Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Live And Let Die) was hired, but had to drop out due to his being a British tax exile and was only allowed to be in England for thirty days(Superman was filmed in Pinewood Studios, England). Richard Donner was hired following the success of the horror film, The Omen.

3. The original script by Mario Puzo(intended for two films made back to back) was deemed too long, and husband and wife team David and Leslie Newman were hired to do a re-write. Richard Donner felt that the new script was too campy, and screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz(Live And Let Die, The Spy Who Loved Me) was brought in to completely re-write the script. Mankiewicz did not receive a screenwriting credit(the credits list only Puzo and the Newmans) and is instead listed in the credits as "creative consultant" due to a dispute with The Writer's Guild.

4. Exterior Metropolis scenes were filmed in New York City, with the New York Daily News building serving as The Daily Planet.

5. Jerry Goldsmith(Planet of The Apes, The Omen, Alien) was originally hired to do the music for Superman, but had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts, and John Williams(The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters of The Third Kind) was hired instead.

6. John Williams created two distinct Superman themes for the film, instead of just one: the "title theme" and the "main theme," also known as the "hero theme." The title theme is only heard three times in the movie, during the opening credits, the closing credits, and once during the film when Superman catches the falling helicopter with one hand while holding Lois Lane in his other arm. The hero theme is the theme heard throughout the film and in the majority of Superman scenes, and is also featured at the end of the opening and closing credits. The title theme is more exuberant and theatrical, while the hero theme is more muscular and powerful. The hero theme is also more versatile, as it can be played at a fast, hard pace, or a slow, soft pace.

Title theme: BA-BA-BAAAAAAAA... ba-ba-ba-da-daaaaaaaaa!!! Ba-ba-ba-BA-BA-BAAAAAAAA... ba-ba-ba-da-da-daaaaaaaaa!!!

Notice how the first three notes match the three syllables of the word "SU-PER-MAAAAAN!!!"

Hero theme: Ba-ba-da-da-daaaaaaa... da-da-daaaaaaa! Ba-ba-da-da-daaaaaa… DA-DA-DAAAAAAAA!!!

Notice how the last three notes match the three syllables in the word "SU-PER-MAAAAAN!!!"

7. Superman is divided into three basic sections, each having a distinct theme and visual style. The first segment, set on Krypton, is meant to be typical of science fiction films, but also lays the groundwork for an analogy that emerges in the relationship between Jor-El and Kal-El. The second segment, set in Smallville, is reminiscent of 1950s films, and its small-town atmosphere is meant to evoke a Norman Rockwell painting. The third (and largest) segment, set mostly in Metropolis, was an attempt to present the superhero story with as much realism as possible (what Donner called "verisimilitude"), relying on traditional cinematic drama and using only subtle humor instead of a campy approach.

8. Superman and Superman II were filmed simultaneously, with Superman traveling back through time to save Lois being moved from the climax of Superman II to the climax of the first film, just in case the first film flopped and the sequel had to be scrapped. Richard Donner was fired from the production of Superman II by Alexander and Ilya Salkind even though more than 70% of the film had already been completed due to Donner's refusal to cut out Marlon Brando's scenes as Jor-El from Superman II and replace them with scenes of Lara-El(Suzannah York) in order for the Salkinds to avoid paying Brando his salary for the sequel. Mother ing cheapskates. Richard Lester(A Hard Day's Night, The Three Musketeers) was brought in to finish Superman II, and many scenes had to be reshot in order for Lester to have enough footage to earn a directing credit(at least 51% of the film). Gene Hackman refused to reshoot any scenes, so some of his scenes were dubbed over by a voice actor. John Williams also refused to return, as did Tom Mankiewicz and others involved with the first film. According to reports, the cast did not get along with Lester and did not like Donner being replaced. Especially Margo Kidder, who looked very unhealthy during her reshot scenes with Lester.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Question for Melissa, you have the DC app for a week, anything you plan to watch during your week? lol
Old 06-14-2019, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Tia...answer these fun questions...I will roll a dice for each one you get right.. well answer them and you'll see how it works

Compete the quotes and Who said it

___ ____"-ou - -ou've got me? -ho's got -ou? "

____ ____ "-ll -hose -hings I can do. -ll -hose -owers. And I -ouldn't even -ave him. "

Young Clark races a _____ while traveling back home

Older Clarks first minor adversary with a gun was a ____

Gene Hackman was tricked into doing what to his face [b/c Lex doesn't have that feature]

According to board discussion, Dave just wanted the 3 Kryptonian terrorists suffer what punishment instead of Phantom Zone?

Bonus Questions: Tia added what else to our live board watch discussions in her posts?

You don't have to take all 7 spins...you can stop at 5 if you want...just say so. Because if a Snake Eyes comes up...you go back to 0 at any time....
Old 06-15-2019, 06:47 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalfate (View Post)
Question for Melissa, you have the DC app for a week, anything you plan to watch during your week? lol
I was going to try to check out Doom Patrol. Did any of you watch it? Is it good? I want to watch it for Matt Bomer even though they have him playing a character that covers up his beautiful face.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I haven't, Melissa. I don't have streaming.

Dave should've been a game show host.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

a lot of game host hosts who are rookies at least for the first few years are like puppets...they read from teleprompter and are extremely trained.

Tia... I'll let you pick what you want to watch on Thursday.... I'll be watching NBA Draft on Sunday though even though my team doesn't have top 4
Old 06-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Laugh (View Post)
Tia...answer these fun questions...I will roll a dice for each one you get right.. well answer them and you'll see how it works

Compete the quotes and Who said it

___ ____"-ou - -ou've got me? -ho's got -ou? "

____ ____ "-ll -hose -hings I can do. -ll -hose -owers. And I -ouldn't even -ave him. "

Young Clark races a _____ while traveling back home

Older Clarks first minor adversary with a gun was a ____

Gene Hackman was tricked into doing what to his face [b/c Lex doesn't have that feature]

According to board discussion, Dave just wanted the 3 Kryptonian terrorists suffer what punishment instead of Phantom Zone?
Dave wanted them locked in a cell that was close to an explosion and let them die.

Bonus Questions: Tia added what else to our live board watch discussions in her posts?

You don't have to take all 7 spins...you can stop at 5 if you want...just say so. Because if a Snake Eyes comes up...you go back to 0 at any time....

Lois Lane: You've got me? Who's got you?

Clark Kent: All those things I can do. All those powers. And I couldn't even save him.

Young Clark races a ?? Don't know. lol Wait was it that train scene?

Older Clark first minor adversary with a gun was a burglar???? confused on how to answer it. lol

Get Gene Hackman to shave off his mustache since Lex doesn't have one?

Instead of Zod, Ursa and Non getting sent to the Phantom Zone as punishment, Dave wanted them locked in a cell that was close to an explosion and let them die.

Bonus Question: Tia added gifs and starting new threads.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

All Correct

6,1 =700
4,1= 500
6,2 = 800
5,2 = 700
5,3 = 800
6,5 =1100

4,600x2 = $9600

I have to check to see if you beat Alex 2nd round score