Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Loyal Fan

URGENT! Please Read: Transition to the New Board

Hello!
I hope everybody is adjusting to the new Board set-up just fine.

Reminder:
The old forum is only open temporarily.
Raonaild, the System Manager, is planning on closing the old board on Monday.

So that means, if you would want to save anything from the old board
(like PMs, old posts that didn't make the move, avies, etc.), please do so ASAP. Otherwise, you might not be able to get it again after that.

Remember, you've been warned!

Also, I realized that some of you are having a hard time trying to figure out how some of the new features of this new board work.

In an effort to be of some help (the kew word being SOME coz it's not much ), I've compiled some of the questions that I've been asked via PM and/or I've seen raised in the various threads that we have here:
  • What happened to some of my posts? Were they lost?

Unfortunately, some posts and threads were not imported during the move.
The current information that the new board has right now are ONLY the ones that was there at the time of the move, all the subsequent posts, profile change, avie change, etc. were left in the old board.
  • Could you import my old posts for me? Would there be any way for me to retrieve them?

Sorry, but there isn't a way for us Mods to import them.
And it would be too much of a bother to actually ask the Tech team to import them for you, fon't you think? *wink*

I strongly suggest that you just go to the old board, search for it, click on "QUOTE", and copy it, then paste it to the appropriate thread HERE.

In case the thread is closed (so you can't really quote it),
just PM either Ben or me (Sadé) and we could copy it and PM it back to you.
  • Where did my custom avatar go?

Sorry about this as well, but the avies were NOT included in the file import.

But don't fret if you don't have a copy of that in your hard drive.
Just go to the old forum, then search for yourself. You'll notice that your avie is still there under your username. Simply copy it to your PC/diskette, and then import it HERE.
  • Where did the smilies go?!

If you were one of the those who were shocked that you can't find them in the "Post Reply" screen, don't panic, we didn't get rid of them!

Look at the bottom of the screen:
Quote:
Forum Rules:
You may post new threads..................HTML code is OFF
You may post replies..........................vB code is ON
You may not post attachments............Smilies are ON
You may edit your posts.....................[IMG] code is ON
Click on Smilies, and a new window which lists ALL the smilies available will appear.
  • I've noticed that my post count diminished. What happened?

Like I said, all the subsequent posts after the big move were left in the old board. So that means, your post count only reflects the posts that were imported. Sorry about that.
  • *sigh* I wish there was a direct link to the PM system in every page just like in the old board, instead of having to go all the way to the User CP, and then clicking on "Private Messages".

Actually, there is!
In the "Forum Jump", Private Messages is the first one on the list.
  • I'm having a hard time posting images! What is the maximum number of images allowed in this new board anyway?!

Uhmmm... Sorry about that too.
In the first few days, it was reduced to just 10 images.
But it has now been restored to 20, which is the same as the previous board's limit. So you (specially the thread starters who went crazy over this matter ) won't be encountering these problems anymore!
  • HELP! I would like to change our thread title, but I can't.

This is one of the glitches of the new board. It appears that when you edit the "topic", it would only edit the subject of your post and NOT the thread title itself. The Tech team is currently working on a solution to this problem.

For the meantime, in case you desperately want to change the thread title, just PM either Ben or me (Sadé) and we could change it for you. :-)
  • Why is the new board too slow? Why do I constantly get a "Server is busy" message?

This usually happens during peak time or when far too many people are accessing the board at the same time.

The server is still adjusting to the new software and the heavy load it endures, not to mention the fact that there are currently 2 Boards running right now. But not to worry, this is something that is being looked into. It should begin to ease off in the coming days, specially since the old board would be taken offline not long from now.
  • Is there a way to manually add people to your PM buddy list?

Click on the USER CP button at the top of your screen. In there, you'd see an Edit Buddy List option. Click on that and then enter the name in one of the empty boxes.
  • Whoa! Where did all our threads go?! Were they all pruned?

Hold your tears! No, they weren't!

You see, now, you have an option to arrange how you'd want to see the threads in a forum. You could choose whether you want to see by ascending or descending order of "last post time", "thread starter" or in alphabetical order.

I strongly suggest you choose the option of "FROM BEGINNING" so you would see ALL the threads in thE forum, coz otherwise, you'd just see the "latest" threads or those who had a post in the last 10 days or so. That is the reason why you'd usually just see 2 pages of threads instead of the harry Potter Board's usual 4 pages.

***BUT I've decided to make it easier for the posters in the Harry Potter Board. We have a PORTKEY <--- click this
that would instantly transport you to the thread that you want.

Well, that's about everything that I can remember right now, if I remember any more, I'll just edit this post again. *lol*

I'd like to remind everyone that you could also go to the Question & Answers Board, to ask for help and/or read some tips/pointers.

If you have any other questions or concerns, but is too shy to post it at the
Q&A Board, you could just post them here
, and Ben, myself, or any of the others could try to answer it.
PM is also fine (heck, I'm Ms.PM after all! *lol*) but I'd like to point out that there are some things that I'm afraid I can't answer, being somewhat techno-challenged, myself!

Obsessive Compulsive Organizer and Alphabetizer Extraordinaire [img]http://www.*******.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ,
~ Sadé
And somewhere... a man reunites w/ his bestfriend.

The Dog Star would forever shine in the night sky... and you will always be in our hearts.
Rest in peace, Messr. Padfoot. Have a safe journey home.

~ Sadé

Last edited by * Marauder's Child *; 05-15-2004 at 08:56 AM
* Marauder's Child * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Pav
Elite Fan

thanks for the info, Sade
Pav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Supreme Fan

wow! thanks for the reminder, I'm going to save some posts of a role playing that I'd like to keep
- Alex - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by * Marauder's Child *
URGENT! Please Read: Transition to the New Board
Uhmmm... Sorry about that too.
In the first few days, it was reduced to just 10 images.
But it has now been restored to 20, which is the same as the previous board's limit. So you (specially the thread starters who went crazy over this matter ) won't be encountering these problems anymore!

Obsessive Compulsive Organizer and Alphabetizer Extraordinaire [img]http://www.*******.com/images/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ,
~ Sadé
I bet you had a hard time adapting to the 10 smilies limit

Obsessive Compulsive Smilie User I'd say
Old 05-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shazaam
I bet you had a hard time adapting to the 10 smilies limit

Obsessive Compulsive Smilie User I'd say
Dude, if there's anything I love more than pairing Squishy, the Giant Squid, with everyone in the Wizarding World, it's abusing our smilie priviledges!

Smilies are our friends!

*sigh*
Seriously though, you have no idea how hard it was for to when they limited it to 10! It drove me practically bonkers!

Useless Trivia:
It took me about 10 tries to post my thread start!
I kept on getting the "You have exeeded the image limit" message.
I got so tired, that I had to count how many smilies I had, just so I'd make the 20 smilie limit.

Obsessive Compulsive Smilie User and bloody proud of it (so sue me! ),
~ Sadé

The Dog Star would forever shine in the night sky... and you will always be in our hearts.

~ Sadé

Last edited by * Marauder's Child *; 05-15-2004 at 10:02 AM
Old 05-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Dude, if there's anything I love more than pairing Squishy, the Giant Squid, with everyone in the Wizarding World, it's abusing our smilie priviledges!

Smilies are our friends!

*sigh*
Seriously though, you have no idea how hard it was for to when they limited it to 10! It drove me practically bonkers!

Useless Trivia:
It took me about 10 tries to post my thread start!
I kept on getting the "You have exeeded the image limit" message.
I got so tired, that I had to count how many smilies I had, just so I'd make the 20 smilie limit.

Obsessive Compulsive Smilie User and bloody proud of it (so sue me! ),
~ Sadé
Last I heard it was Squishy/Voldemort true wuv foreva

Lovely rainbow effect with those smilies dear.. I think you and the smilies are more than just friends

Don't worry, I posted an opening thread with stars for each name Bloody annoying. I posted over 20 smilies, then 20, then 19, then 18, finally I just used * instead of stars!!

I'm Obsessive Compulsive and Smilie User oh and of course

(You are EBIL!! I just got a rejected for too many smilies message b/c I quoted you!! )
Old 05-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

Ok, you guys really need to consider cutting back on the smilies. You seriously don't need more than one or two per post. And only use three to four if it's absolutely crucial.

*shakes head*

No wonder the boards keep going down all the time...

Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Don't worry, our posts aren't usually like this.

Shaz and I are just being our normal silly selves and teasing each other. We just sorta get into weird topics even though were supposed to be in a "serious" thread...

*shakes head*
I blame it all on too much exposure to the UC thread!
Prolonged exposure there tends to make even the sanest person

~ Sadé
Old 05-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Don't worry, our posts aren't usually like this.

I have to say I disagree there. Being a moderator I see every post. So I know what all my posters are like .

We shall see anyway.

Nice idea for this help thing. Though couldn't people just go to the Q&A board?

Why do I never get PMs asking for help anyway? Oh yeah... I'm too scary aren't I?

Rar!

*watches as everyone runs away*
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben
I have to say I disagree there. Being a moderator I see every post. So I know what all my posters are like .
Uh-oh! Sadé, he's on to us Imagine if we really did have smilie rations and were only allowed three per post I'd obviously wilter away
Old 05-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben
Nice idea for this help thing. Though couldn't people just go to the Q&A board?
To be totally honest, I made this list just so I wouldn't have to type it again & again whenever somebody would ask me how to get things to work via PM. I figured that I could just [/quote] what I said here in my reply to them. Or maybe I could just direct them here.

I DO forward them to the Q&A Board, but I guess most of them are just too afraid or shy to ask any question or help there, so they ask me again anyway.
I guess they are just more "comfortable" to ask somebody they "know"...
and don't act too surprised but most of those who asked didn't even know that there's a Q&A Board where you could ask these questions.
Oh, yeah, and they don't read the "[b]Announcements[b]" as well! *tsk tsk tsk*

Ben, punish them! :evil_laugh:

You guys KNOW who you are... be afraid... be very afraid!
Quote:
Why do I never get PMs asking for help anyway? Oh yeah... I'm too scary aren't I?

Rar!

*watches as everyone runs away*
*cackles*
*squeeks*
*hides in a corner*

Most of these people, I have a somewhat regular correspondence with, have talked to a few times, or have seen around the various threads that I frequent.

The others are just far too cute!
Some of them are newbies and they'd be (re)introducing themselves first, and then launch to all these questions!
I guess they were much more comfortable to ask a "girl" than a "boy".
Coz boys have cooties! *girly!giggle*

Told you it pays to be a fangirl!
C'mon, Ben, cross over to the Pink& Sparkly Side!
The Dark Side is much too crowded anyway, oh, and it's soooooooo last year!
*tosses hair over shoulder*
*laughs*
*powders her nose*

~ Sadé
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top