Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2014, 04:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

For anyone who has read the books, who do you picture as your Cormoran Strike? Or Robin?

Edited to add: Teens cast for TCV!!!!!
http://pottermore-news.com/2014/07/29/tcv-teen-cast/

Sukhvinder is just how I pictured her!

Last edited by baileycat; 07-29-2014 at 05:46 PM
Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 PM
Moderator Manager

I'm getting excited for TCV now that we've got some of the younger cast announced. These kids will be over the moon. I can't wait to see more cast announcements soon.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 07-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Moderator Manager

Happy Birthday JK Rowling!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Happy birthday Jo and Harry. Harry Potter (along with BtVS) was one of the main fandoms that defined my childhood, and it was literally magical, thanks Jo.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 PM
Moderator Manager

Article about JKR from the Huffington Post:

Quote:
Today, July 31, is J.K. Rowling’s birthday -- a birthday she famously shares with her most beloved character, Harry Potter. Though she’s long since turned her formidable storytelling skills toward the adult fiction world, most recently publishing two mystery novels under the pen name Robert Galbraith, we can’t deny that it’s through her megahit Harry Potter series that Rowling has most infiltrated our lives over the past 17 years.

Harry Potter, as we’ve so often heard, changed reading for an entire generation -- my generation. I was nine when the first book was first published, and 10 when I read it. Now, I wasn’t one of those kids who fell in love with reading because of Harry Potter. By fifth grade, when someone recommended Sorcerer’s Stone to me, I was already the type of girl who hid The Phantom Tollbooth inside my social studies textbook during quiet study time and hid behind Catherine, Called Birdy at recess. But that’s the true magic of Harry Potter -- it took socially awkward bookworms like me and book-averse social butterflies and united us all in a passionate reading experience. Childhood wasn’t the same for us kids; we were the Harry Potter generation.
7 Ways J.K. Rowling Changed Childhood For A Whole Generation

Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
The first set photos from the upcoming miniseries The Casual Vacancy, based on J.K. Rowling's novel, were released online Monday, and feature Harry Potter alum Michael Gambon, who plays Howard Mollison in the story.

Photos of Gambon with on-screen costars Hetty Banes, Rory Kinnear and Julia McKenzie in the town of Cotswold town of Northleach - doubling up for the fictional town of Pagford - can be seen below. The series will air on BBC and HBO later this year.
Photos: Michael Gambon in first on-set look at J.K. Rowling's 'The Casual Vacancy' miniseries - SnitchSeeker.com

Old 08-05-2014, 03:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

New pics from The Casual Vacancy! Michael looks great as Howard! And I'm really impressed with Krystal and her mom! Exactly how I pictured them.

First Look at Pictures from “The Casual Vacancy” - 4YE

This is so touching:
JK Rowling writes letter in the voice of Dumbledore to girl who lost her entire family

Quote:
Fifteen-year-old Cassidy Stay made headlines last month when she quoted Albus Dumbledore at her family’s memorial, and now a report suggests J.K. Rowling responded in the best way possible.

On July 9, Stay’s uncle shot her mother, father, and four younger siblings when he entered their home and wasn’t given the location of his ex-wife. Stay was the only survivor of the shooting because she reportedly played dead after a bullet hit her finger and grazed her skull.

At the memorial service three days after the horrific incident, Stay gave a speech and quoted Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. “‘Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light,’” she said to an audience of supporters. “I know that my mom, dad, Bryan, Emily, Becca and Zach are in a much better place and that I’ll be able to see them again one day.”

The tragic story and her use of Dumbledore’s words grabbed the attention of well-wishers around the world, and word appears to have reached Rowling. According to LDS.net and a Facebook page that wanted to set up a meeting between Stay and Rowling, the Harry Potter author sent an amazing care package.

“This afternoon, I talked to a friend of Cassidy’s who confirmed that J.K. Rowling did, in fact, write her a personalized letter from ‘Dumbledore’ (hand-written with purple ink),” the manager of the page wrote. “She was also sent a wand, an acceptance letter to Hogwarts with a school supply list, along with the 3rd book with JK’s autograph. I’m so excited and ecstatic that we were all able to make a difference! How wonderful.”

In an email to Hypable, a manager of the Facebook page tells us they received this information from a friend of the Stay family.

We’re so happy to see Rowling respond in this way.

The following news report offers a clip of Stay quoting Dumbledore if you’d like to watch for yourself:

Last edited by baileycat; 08-05-2014 at 12:30 PM
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Moderator Manager

Cassidy is an inspiration. I can't imagine what she must have gone through. What a remarkable, wonderful story of survival!

Old 08-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jo's advice to writers:

New images from TCV

Last edited by baileycat; 08-06-2014 at 06:15 PM
Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
J.K. Rowling’s charity, Lumos, has been a frontrunner in the effort to deinstitutionalize orphaned children, as well as children who have been taken from their homes due to poverty, disabilities, or being an ethnic minority. The charity, started by J.K. Rowling in 2005, seeks to fund and incorporate alternative programs to provide better lives and more opportunities for children facing adversity, working primarily in several Eastern European countries, such as the Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Moldova, and the Ukraine. According to Rowling:

There is still much to be done to transform the lives of eight million children in institutions worldwide – including raising awareness and challenging the misconception around the world that orphanages are ‘good’ for children in adversity, which they are not.

According to the annual review for the charity, Lumos has saved the lives of 450+ children suffering from malnutrition and neglect, redirected €367m in EU funding from institutions to community based care, trained over 6,000 social workers, health professionals, teachers, and policy makers, and supported 12,000 children to move from institution to community based care.
J.K. Rowling fights to improve conditions for world’s orphaned children | MuggleNet

Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

New set pics!!

“Casual Vacancy” filming updates: New photos & set locations! | MuggleNet

Last edited by baileycat; 08-13-2014 at 05:14 PM
Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Moderator Manager

Lumos’s annual report: “Lumos by Numbers” | MuggleNet

Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Mugglenet has published a very excellent editorial on what is canon. Its a must read for sure and it makes some rather accurate points. As far as I'm concerned if JK Rowling wrote it, its canon. Doesn't matter if its on Pottermore or in the books. Its her world and only she can say what is true in the world SHE created.

“What Is Canon?” – Part 1: It’s all in J.K. Rowling’s head | MuggleNet
Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Moderator Manager

I must cross post this news here too.

J.K. Rowling Publishes Story About Enchanting 'Harry Potter' Character

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top