Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 03:07 AM
Moderator Manager

I'm glad Oprah did her research, her questions were good. I loved that JKR threw back some questions for her as well. Here are my favorite quotes from the interview:

Quote:
"We speak about success all the time. Its the ability to resist failure or to use failure that often leads to greater success." - JKR
Quote:
"The happiest man alive will look in the mirror and see himself exactly as he is." - JKR quoting Dumbledore from SS as to how she sees happiness.
Quote:
"The greatest thing Harry Potter has given the world is the freedom to use your imagination." - Oprah

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 10-02-2010 at 04:02 AM
Old 10-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jo makes me cry so easily. I love this woman.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Master Fan

I have no words to describe this interview. It just made me love JKR even more.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

When you're searching for a REAL role model, this woman matches the definition perfectly. I wonder if her kids know just how incredible she is.

I love that she's takes the bus! Can you imagine sitting down beside her? I'd probably squeal and look like a freak.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

This is by far one of the most touching interviews I've ever seen. I just admire this woman SFM; everything that she's been through in her life, the good and bad, the overwhelming change as the series took off (I love how she referred to herself as kind of like a "Beatle." Except she couldn't turn to/share/experience it with anyone else on that same level with her the way the Beatles had each other), the absolute understanding that she doesn't NEED to top HP, and doesn't intend to, is just absolutely remarkable and so effing admirable. She said that people will often state to her, "Well, how are you going to top HP?" "You must want to top HP!" and yet she doesn't want to, doesn't see the need, and she said that she "really, really means that." She's not just saying it for the sake of anyone, she's saying it because it's the truth and that was a huge chapter in her life that she knows must be let go of on pen and paper, yet never in hers or anyone else's heart.

I teared up quite a few times throughout the interview, especially more so towards the end with the 9/11 talk, the talk of just how strong love really is, and how touched she was when a woman in her early 20s kind of just, one day on the street, "it was as if she'd apparated in front of me," was standing there telling her, "...You are my childhood." She said it was one of the nicest things anyone had ever said to her, and even telling Oprah, she still seemed in awe of that, that her and her work, her characters, her storylines, her many various themes and events and touching moments throughout the series, could have impacted someone so much.

Jo, thank you for giving me this series, because even if you didn't believe in yourself much at the time, you believed in your idea, you believed until a 13th publisher finally decided to give it a go and run your work. Your dedication and determination is inspiring, and your down-to-earth nature, your absolute genuineness about the entire phenomenon of the world you created, are just remarkably touching.

PS. Lindsay, I love those quotes as well!

And Amy, I'd definitely look like a freak too!

And this...

Quote:
What do you know for sure?

"I definitely know that love is the most powerful thing of all. I remember thinking when 9/11 happened, because those last phone calls were all about the last thing, knowingly, that I'm going to say on this earth is "I love you". What's more powerful than that? What's more proof than that? Beyond fear. Beyond death."
I nearly cried at these words.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 10-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Master Fan

I teared up a few times watching that interview. I have so much admiration and respect for her. She is truly one of the best role models out there. I love her.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Fate (View Post)
...Except she couldn't turn to/share/experience it with anyone else on that same level with her the way the Beatles had each other), the absolute understanding that she doesn't NEED to top HP, and doesn't intend to, is just absolutely remarkable and so effing admirable. She said that people will often state to her, "Well, how are you going to top HP?" "You must want to top HP!" and yet she doesn't want to, doesn't see the need, and she said that she "really, really means that." She's not just saying it for the sake of anyone, she's saying it because it's the truth and that was a huge chapter in her life that she knows must be let go of on pen and paper, yet never in hers or anyone else's heart.
She doesn't need to top that because no one can top it, ever, I think. The whole thing about the Christian belief because she was writing about wizards & magic, I liked that Oprah brought that up. It was a children's book but she has touched more than just children and made us believe in what she was writing. To me that is a writer. Props to Oprah for the questions, she was able to make JKR talk even about her past. The series will always be a tribute to her mom and that's sad but an achievement for her.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Incase others haven't seen these, Oprah.com has more interview clips that didn't air on tv.

The second one will make you cry ...again.
A Special Fan Letter to J.K. Rowling - Video - Oprah.com

And then the 3rd where she talks about David her son asking her to make him a spell book. I made of those for my niece!

But also the moment when David was told by another little boy that his mom was famous is so similar to the epilogue and Harry's kids!

Last edited by baileycat; 10-04-2010 at 04:33 AM
Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Moderator Manager

I like how she was unaware how huge it became. I guess the author is always the last to know. The "Matthew" letter made me cry, wow.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for those Amy, I'll watch them later.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Elite Fan

I'll check those other videos out later as well.
“I’ve lived on borrowed time. More than any man deserves. I’ve seen wonders beyond my wildest imaginings. Through these centuries, against the impossibility that we’d find each other, we did. And I am most grateful for it."
Ichabod ♥ Abbie
Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 AM
Moderator Manager

I was wondering when those unaired clips will be out. The entire interview was only 40mins. and of course it went longer than that. They were quite chatty which is nice.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jo receives her Hans Christian Andersen Literature Award! Watch the video of her acceptance speech here:

Prinsesse overrakte pris til Potters mor - TV 2 Nyhederne
Old 10-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Moderator Manager

"You've made me feel at home by putting a Weasley cousin on violin, have you noticed?" It feels so overwhelming to be there!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Master Fan

She is so adorable.

"A powerful woman is someone who exudes confidence, who can be tough but fair and kind. And who knows how to get what she wants."
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top