Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2004, 01:29 AM
Master Fan

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

TEH PRIZONUR OF AZKABAN IZ TEH PRECIOUS!!!!!11111111 SIRIUS IZ TEH SEX!!!!!!!!1111111111 SO IZ SNAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

Initial Reaction

In no particular order:

-THEY SHOWED A PICTURE OF ALL THE WEASLEYS!!!! THAT MEANS THAT BILL WAS IN THERE!!!!! EEEEEEEE!!! MUST...GET...SCREENCAP...

-David Thewlis...Eh. Okay. He was an okay Remus. I thought he was much too stern, though.

-Sidekickerliciousness!

-Tom Felton got HOT! I haven't laughed that much at Draco, though, ever.

-I <3ed Stan! He was hi-larious.

-WHAT THE HELL IS THE RAUSTAFARIAN SHRUNKEN HEAD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

-Teh Precious, Snape was in it a LOT. Me likey. ESPECIALLY the scene when he finds Harry in the hall. I was cracking up for no apparent reason.

-Did anybody else get Remus/Harry vibes? I mean, they were like...WOW. I don't even ship slash, but...that was a definite vibe. Of course, it could have been more like uncle-nephew.

-I <3 SIRIUS!!!

-I actually SCREAMED when they showed the dementor's mouth.

-MARGE!! BUUUUUAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAA!!!!

-Buckbeak was awesome.

-Boggart!Snape!!! PRICELESS!!!

-NEVILLE!! <3<3<3

-The twins suddenly grew out of their awkward gay-ugliness and are officially hot again.

-QUIDDITCH?! WITHOUT OLIVER WOOD?! *screams*

-Peter was VERY cool.

-TRELAWNEY!!! OMBOB, Emma Thompson is friggin HILARIOUS!!!

-Actually, that MOVIE was friggin hilarious...

-Firebolt at the end? *tear*

-Why a new fat lady? Funny, though.

-Umm...Flitwick looked TOTALLY weird and different...

-THEY LEFT OUT THE ENTIRE CHAPTER OF SNAPE'S GRUDGE! *pout*

And the two things that meant the most to me:

2. DUMBLYDORE LIVES!!!!!!! Michael Gambon WAS Dumbledore. Perfect. Not a one complaint from me. <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

1. SNAPE AND HERMIONE GRAB EACH OTHER AND HOLD EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

YES, PRECIOUS!!!!! ALFONSO GOT THE VIBES!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*ahem*

*calms down*

HI! It was absolutely TEH SHIZNIT!!!

ALL MUST SEE IT!!!!

NOW! GO!! I MEAN IT!!
Old 06-04-2004, 01:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Just saw the movie.. And I am extremely disappointed. :sad: I severely did not like it. POA is my very favorite book and I almost feel like this movie made a mockery of such a brilliant book. :sad: I am really saddened by how much I did NOT enjoy this movie. :sad:

First off, I hated how it did not follow the book in so many instances! Honestly, I watched some scenes and I was questioning whether or not I was watching the right movie. My friend, who has never read the books, was EXTREMELY lost and had no clue on lots of things. She had no clue that the four friends wrote the map together and were all close friends at one point. There were other instances where she was completely lost.

I hated the fact that we never even got to hear about the feud and relationship between Snape and Sirius and Lupin, and James for that matter. That was completely blown off.

Quidditch was completely forgotten. That sucked big time.

I am really not extremely into shipping the couples and while I found the Ron and Hermione stuff sort of enjoying, I also was ticked at times because I think it was way overdone and practically showed them as almost a couple when we all know that this is totally not what transpired in the book. I mean, there are short hints in the book that there is some tension there, but the movie was completely far fetched and plain out in left field.

Also, they barely showed Crookshanks and Scabbers AT ALL. That entire mystery with Crookshanks constantly after Scabbers was lessened to a brief comment by Ron saying that Crookshanks went after Scabbers or whatever. That was basically it! And it was also completely ignored that Ron and Harry were ticked at Hermione a lot in this book but was not at all shown in the movie. Ron for Crookshanks all over Scabbers and both ticked that Hermione turned in the Firebolt to be inspected. That was completley ignored.

Also, Hermione's so called outburst in Tree's class whenever she is fed up and dumps the class. TOTALLY WEAK. I mean, that was one of the best parts of the book! Where Hermione rips on Tree, storms out of the room and kicks the trap door open and leaves. That was not at all shown in the movie and that sucked.

They barely showed Hagrid as being upset about Buckbeak. It was almost as if Hagrid was sort of joking about it in a way.

And the new Dumbledore seems dense and completely a different person. I am not ripping the actor. The actor was good. It is how they wanted Dumbledore to be portrayed that bothered me so much.
I guess I blame the director big time. I feel as if Alfonso wanted the movie to come across as way too Hollywood with the great humor and one liners instead of telling the story as JK told in the book. I mean, this book is very serious and emotional on many levels and we hardly got to see the drama and intensity that I think it deserved.

Good things..

Well, the acting was superb. I think Daniel, Rupert and Emma were outstanding. And Gary as Sirius? He was awesome. The guy who played Lupin (forgot his name) was also good. Emma Thompson was great as the Tree.

I also enjoyed some of the scenes with Harry and Lupin. I am convinced now more than ever that Lupin might not be who he claims to be.. *cough James*

Honestly, I hate to be so negative, but I really did not enjoy this movie because I guess I just don't like the general tone and style that this movie had. Fine, it was Alfonso's way of telling it, but I certainly did not like it.

Last edited by jediwands; 06-04-2004 at 09:21 PM
Old 06-04-2004, 03:22 AM
Master Fan

Just got back from seeing the movie at a midnight showing and since it is after 4 in the morning here, I really should be in bed but where am I? Here of course.

First off - I thought it was excellent! Of course, it strayed a bit from the book at times but I was expecting that. You can't possibly get everything from the book into the movie. I felt that the movie captured the spirit off the book and that is what I was hoping for the most.

The film was beautifully shot, it did seem more alive and captivating. I thought Alfonso did an excellent job. The acting (especially from the kids) was superb. Emma Thompson was hilarious as Trelawney. I really liked Gary Oldman as Sirius and I thought Michael Gambon was a great Dumbledore. Lupin was who I was most concerned about because seeing Thewlis as Lupin in pics before seeing the movie, he is not at all what I pictured Lupin to be so I was wary about how it would turn out. But I thought David Thewlis was very good. While he doesn't physically look as I picture Lupin, I thought the character of Lupin still came through very well, I was pleased.

And Snape...what can I say about Snape? Perfect as always. I seriously love any scene he is in, Alan Rickman is just too awesome.

Oh and I must mention the twins. I love Fred and George to pieces and always want them to have more screentime but what we got was awesome. Love the longer hair on Oliver and James and they were great, loved the scene where they give the Marauder's Map to Harry.

My Auror heart loved all the H/Hr, especially toward the end. They do make the best team. And I loved watching the banter between Ron and Hermione. I loved how Hermione called him "Ronald" so often.

*sigh* I know there's more I wanted to mention but my mind is quite the jumbled, tired mess so it'll have to wait till later.

Anyway...I loved it, definitely my favorite movie of the three.

BTW - Sade, how do you remember so much about the movie? How many times have you seen it?! You must have an excellent memory...

Oh and the end credits were about the coolest I've ever seen.

Also...the music was wonderful! John Williams put together an excellent score.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:59 AM
Extreme Fan

*JUST* got home from the midnight show!

Wow....where to start.....

First of all the theater I went too had a *HUGE* "line Party" which I wasn't even aware of...all sorts of hardcore HP fans dressed to their best...doing trivia, games, all sorts of stuff! I wish I had known and I'd have tried to dress up more...oh well.

THE MOVIE

THE GOOD:
They kept the shreiking shack up through Sirius's escape very true for a film version...considering there can't be as much talk and such as there is in the book- of course there are a few minor bits I missed- but that chunk of the film I was EXTREMELY pleased with---- and that was the "make or break" part for me....so thats good

* Everything Sirius!!! perfect!!! see further comments on dissapointent of one cut scene...but aside from that...just. done. perfect.

*Knight Bus!!! Amazing!! Nuff said!

* liked the visual style and score here FAR more than the first to films....much more visually similar to how I'd envision the world....

* The special effects were FAR superior

* They had Fred & George giving Harry the map!! That was perfect!!! I was so scared that was gonna be altered...and it was just right!!! Also the twins had a bigger part here than they ever have

* Harry/Lupin scenes... as induvidual...STAND ALONE scenes were done just excellently!!!! Extremely well acted and just very nice!! See further comments on playing into film as a whole however...and Harrys reaction one one scene

*The Marauders Map's comments to Snape! so glad that made it into the film!

* Hogsmeade stuff.... pretty much just as I'd hoped...done very well.....

there's lots more good stuff....but my mind is flailing ...its 4am...will continue with more good stuff on another post!!!!!

THE BAD or NEUTRAL:
The film prior to the Buckbeak execution scene....I felt was very choppy and didn't flow well. That doesn't mean those scenes induvidually weren't great--they were fantastic!!!!- but string them together...and the don't flow properly...it felt like time was jumping along *much* too quickly, and they didn't set a lot of stuff up properly....

Example...one minute we're at a meal in the leaky cauldron, where Harrys only been for 5 min or less of movie anyway...then everyone's on the train.... already moving...no seguay...

For the time alotted...I guess they *had* to do this in order to get the end half (Buckbeak's execution through Sirius's escape) to be done properly, flow well, and make sense. That arc was the most critical and would make or break the film....so I guess sacrifices had to be made in the first half of the film....but I just wish the whole thing could have been longer...and then it wouldn't have been a problem at all! This deeply concerns me about movie 4.... *shudder*

major upsets:

* They recast Flitwick!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I love Warwick Davis!!! And *if* they were going to recast him...at least try and make him look similar to before...

* They never say who the Marauders really are....and Harry doesn't know his dad's Patronus was a Stag!!!!!!!!!! HOW CAN THEY CUT THAT????? OMG!!!!

* Harry spots Peter on the map! I don't like this take....it changes the shreiking shack to a degree....and makes it less imparitive for as much info into the background of the Marauders! GGRRR!!!

* Harry doesn't hear his Dad in his head after he faints...and he doesn't hear his mom talk...she just screams....As far as I'm concerned , hearing his parents was critical!!!! That would have translated well on screen in flashback as well..... Also this was one of the ajor setups for Harry & Lupin's bonding...bringing me to my next point....

* Much as I loved the scenes with Lupin and Harry induvidually the way they are cut together gives no basis for them...after one boggart lesson Harry and Lupin are having deep conversation...they neded some slight build up there IMO...and Harry had *NO* reaction to Lupin knowing his parents here... NONE!!!

*They cut Sirius's attempted attack on Scabbers (appearing to be Ron) !!!! Thats why the flat lady gets slashed....why would he attack her for no reason???? I can't believe they cut that! That would have made for excellent movie suspense as well!!!

* We don't really see Crookshanks and Scabbers chases/espcaes....we just hear about them.....

* Mr. Weasley seemed way OOC to me...yet I can't pinpoint why....odd because they captured his character amazingly in CoS.....

I have some other *minor* irks...but these were big to me....

Don't get me wrong!!! I still LOVED the movie!!! And as I said, I have lots more good stuff I'm just too exhausted to post now....but the flow of the first half just gets to me somewhat...and some of the cut stuff.......

Will also go through this thread later and reply to everyone else's thoughts etc.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:14 AM
Master Fan

supergirlhero: You said almost everyting that I wanted to say. Especially the thing about the flying dementors. I always imagines them to float along the ground and stuff. They way they looked was perfect but the way the moved was bad. And the finale scene on the lake was a real dissapointment. So was the shreiking shack(sp?) scene. But I guess that was because they had to put so much into one movie. I don't even want to think about GoF. I mean hello? GoF has waay to much content to fit it into one movie. I loved how the move was shot, the colors, the lightening...wow. Another thing that I didn't like was the grounds. They completely changes since the first two movies. And I don't imagine Hogwards to be in the mountains and all. The forbidden forest wasn't as spooky as in the other movies. But still this is my fav. of all the movie. It's was just too fast. There were so many important scenes that they had no time to just show a bit of the life at Hogwards, which is okay but a bit sad.

Quote:
My friend, who has never read the books, was EXTREMELY lost and had no clue on lots of things. She had no clue that the four friends wrote the map together and were all close friends at one point. There were other instances where she was completely lost.
That's what I thought. They didn't really explain the Maurauder's thing. I can totally understand that someone who hasn't read the book gets lost.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Passionate Fan

Kristin, I know exactly how you feel!

Ok, so don't get me wrong. I really liked this movie. But I wasn't as happy with it as I could have been when I left the movie. It was far from bad and I wasn't disappointed. Yet I didn't leave the theater enthralled like I had for the last two movies.

I'd say the cinematography and Alfonso's style of directing is much better than Chris Columbus' - I love the look of this film. It was very beautiful. The shots were very smooth and graceful. I was quite happy with how that came out. The script was also very funny. Everyone had great lines - especially Ron. All of the kids are really becoming wonderful actors. The trio just gets more amazing with each movie! The credits were freakin awesome too. There were lots of parts added that weren't in the book and I didn't have any issues with that - even though they weren't canon because they added to the story in an enjoyable way. It was just when important facts were omitted that I didn't like.

One problem I had with this movie was that it didn't run smoothly at times. Sometimes you could tell a scene had been edited out of the movie at times. The editing wasn't terrible over all. Just now and then. But it happened enough that I noticed it I guess. Now I fully understand that this movie was supposed to be less faithful to the book and that not everything can be shown on screen. That's not what I mean though. The first two films omitted stuff and I was perfectly fine with it because the story still ran smoothly. Sometimes it felt like there was too much omitted in this film - so much that if one hadn't read the the book in the first place they would be conufsed at parts. Before the execution, the film ran fast. It just felt...rushed. The film slowed down a bit after the execution but still, the Shrieking Shack ran too fast. I understand that they didn't want this scene to be too "talky" but still - too much information was omitted in this scene.

Omitted important parts:
-The book was more of a mystery when it came to the character Sirius Black and why he was after Harry. The danger of it wasn't as emphasized in the movie as it was in the book.
-They emphasized Hermione popping up randomly in scenes but not that she was going back in time to take more classes. To give them credit, they did have one line about her using it to go to class but it wasn't emphasized that she was taking more classes than most Third Year students.
-The relationship of the Marauders. Seriously like 2 lines at the end of the movie with Lupin and it all makes sense. But it's not there.
-Why they were Animagus. Hell even what James' animagus form was. Another piece of information that would take 2 seconds.
-No explanation about how Sirius knew Peter was at Hogwarts.
-No meeting with Dumbledore or a monologue! There's one at the end of every book! I was surprised that they didn't have this because Dumbledore tells Harry that he made a bond/life debt with Peter for saving his life. I don't have a doubt in my mind that this is going to be important in the series. This information also sets up the bond that Harry made with Ginny in Chamber. I think that is going to be important too.

Nitpicks:
-Why Snape hated the Marauders.
-Sirius never gave Harry a permission slip to go to Hogsmeade. Well, Hogsmeade in general was rather random. No explaination about it before they went.
-There wasn't an introduction to Ron's new owl.

Just plain-ol'-dumb parts:
-The freeze frame shot at the end of the movie. Uh yeah. That's just dumb. It was too abrupt anyways.

-------------------

Ron and Hermione:
There was a cute R/H moment that I hadn't heard about or seen clips of when they leave the Whomping Willow and Ron's injured. It was really funny and cute. The people sitting next to me shipped R/H which made me happy. I heard them make little comments like "eee! I knew she liked Ron!" and stuff like that all movie when there were R/H moments. All of the audience laughed and liked the R/H moments by the way. I think I was expecting more R/H moments than there were in the film, but there were quite a few that weren't in the book at all so I guess I should be happy about that. Although there wasn't as much of the fight as I was expecting so I was slightly disappointed with that.

Clues to Book 6 & 7:
J K Rowling said that Alfonso was intuitive enough to add parts to the film that weren't in the book. These parts could be seen as clues to book 6 & 7.
-This is something I'm glad was not in the movie [especially since it wasn't in the book!] as I was worried it would be a clue to the next books. So on one of the Harry Potter trading cards that came out for publicizing the movie, the trio are seen fighting. The back of the card has Ron saying some line that goes along the lines of "we could get killed just for being your friend Harry." This is something that Ron would NOT say to his bestfriend. I heard about this scene before and worried about the theory of Ron betraying Harry. [reasoning behind this is Harry is James. Ron is Sirius. Hermione is Lupin. But then who is Peter?] I don't see this happening in the books and if it does I will cry so hard because I love Ron and I can't see him doing that at all. So thank goodness that wasn't in the film, as that could easily be seen as a clue for 6 & 7.

I can only think of two possible clues that were placed in PoA. [on my first viewing]
One: There are plenty of new Ron and Hermione moments in the film that never happened in the books. All of which have a tension involving them having crushes on each other. Every interview, review, and tv special that I've seen mentions how Ron and Hermione like each other and have a "love/hate relationship." Of coarse there's the flip side of the coin, and I'm sure the Harry/Hermione fans see the end of PoA and think they're going to get together too. I guess it depends on one's interpretation. So Clue #1 could be your ship [whoever it is] hooking up in 6 & 7 since there were added shippy scenes in the movie that weren't totally in the book.
Two: Sirius and Harry have a very sweet goodbye that almost made me want to cry, simply because of what happens in book 5. Sirius says a line about how those who are gone still are here with us or something to that effect. I can see this being a slight clue to what may happen to Sirius in 6 & 7.

What are your thoughts on the possible clues for books 6 & 7 guys?

-------------------

After writing this little summary I like it a lot more than I did when I left the movie. I dunno why, but after ranting about the omitted scenes I just like it more. Maybe I'm accepting the need to let it go? It's not that the film was bad. I loved it! I just felt some parts needed to be more faithful to the book when it came to telling the story in an understandable way.

Last edited by behrfehr; 06-04-2004 at 04:28 AM
Old 06-04-2004, 06:28 AM
Master Fan

I watched the film last night and I personally loved it, despite the things that were missing from the movie. Although quite a bit was cut, causing some confusion (especially for those who haven't read it), it was still very good. It has definitely surpassed the Philosopher's Stone and CoS.

The acting has also improved vastly, especially from Daniel Radcliffe. All the actors were great in this film, especially Gary Oldman as Sirius. He was fantastic.
I love you.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Master Fan

I don't know what to think of the movie.
It is very different from the first 2.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:38 AM
New Fan

OK First off...opinions: AWESOME!!! The beginning Dursley scene, and the Knight Bus scene were a little slow, Thought those could have been speed up or cut down a little bit.

Other then that...I loved everything! Even (and my Auror family will hate me) the R/H moments. Is it me, or did Ron seem more obvious in his flirtation? The whole scene about his leg after coming out of the tree he was trying to get sympathy form Hermione. As far as I could tell...Hermione wasn't buying into it. This movei has made me more confidant that R/H will happen, but also intensifies all my reasons as to why they won't last either. (But that's for another thread and another time)

I didn't really mind the freeze-frame ending. LOVED the credits!!! SO COOL!!!

Sade- I felt sorry for the little blue bird..but I laughed every time!

Hermione punching out Malfoy: SWEET!
Auroreyness galore!
Missed the explination of who Padfoot, Mooney, Wormtail and Prongs were though

Dementors: Not scary until close up of mouth! YIKES!!
Dumbledore: Different in a good way
Shreaking Shack scene: WAY TOO SHORT AND TOO FAST!!

I'm so hyped up right now....I need another Harry Potter fix, and I need to talk Auror goodness!

::runs away looking for fellow aurors::
Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Dedicated Fan

My reactions to POA...

Alrighty, I am honestly not someone who's so close-minded as to
say "it's so wrong they changed the clothes" and stuff like
that...but I have to admit, my heart sank a lot when they took away
my favorite R/H moment in the book: when Snape calls Hermione an
insufferable know it all, and Ron yells at him and sticks up for her
in front of everyone and ends up getting a detention because of
it...not only did he not do that (which I always thought was so super-
sweet and kind of a turning point in their relationship) but instead
they have him, while Hermione's sitting there almost in tears, turn
to her and say "he does have a point..." - me no likey - it just
doesn't seem like Ron would agree with Snape, especially seeing
Hermione in that state. Guess it just seemed really out of character
for me and that they went for the quick laugh instead. Anyone else
who's seen it that agrees?

I was also bummed that 1. Ron wasn't in more of the movie, and that
2. in general the trio wasn't in more of the movie...I get that it's
a lot about Harry, but this one felt like 80% Harry, 20% teachers,
trio, quidditch, classes, etc. I mean, I liked the movie a lot, I'm
just kinda bummed that it's made me feel like "man, I can't wait for
the next book or movie" as opposed to the first two movies when
I left saying "I can't wait til that comes out on video/dvd" y'know?
If anyone agrees, do respond, we'll chat.

Like, I'm gonna go see it again, I'm sure...but having it on
video...I dunno, I felt like they took out the trio's friendship a
lot...I dunno, I'm not sure how to word it - I've been at work since
a little before 6 and went to the midnight show, so...no sleep for me
makes my posts here make no sense, lol.

Just to go back to the positive side of things, 2 things I did like:
1. that before you even saw them you could tell by the tension in
their voices on the voice over panning back to them what was up
outside the shrieking shack - awesome awesome way to set the tone
immediately for that scene, that was great...and 2. the way that it
made me like order of the phoenix more - before I didn't like it
cause I felt like jk was sending huge mixed signals because of all
the hermione/harry heroine/hero moments cause I just couldn't picture
it happening without taking away from her relationship with Ron,
whether romantic or platonic...but now that they played it up and
sooo well in this movie, I can totall see it, and I love that now
after this movie, through the parts of the movie where we did get an
insight into their friendship, that it's very clear what each pair's
relationship is to one another, what their personal dynamic is, and
how they all contribute to this trio of friends...like Ron and
Hermione's friendship is soooo different than her brother/sister
friendship with Harry, and Harry's with her is soooo different than
with Ron...I did really enjoy that. Oh, and what the heck, it
deserves to be said 3. major major snaps to all of the supporting and
lead 'child' actors - I feel like in this movie they all really shone
and we were like, blown away by how vast the improvement is in so
many of them - I mean, even Seamus and Neville were just like, soooo
good...that was rad.

Kristy
Old 06-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Master Fan

OK, I'm back for a couple more thoughts. (I totally dreamt about HP all night. ) Anyhoo...

I think it was Jen (CherryPixie) that mentioned the Dementors. I thought they were very creepy and well done for the most part (especially the time they came after Harry during the Quidditch match) but I must admit, I never really pictured them flying all-out like that. I always pictured them sort of gliding across the ground. But I still think they were well done.

And was it Kristin (LadyOfLorien) that mentioned Arthur? I wasn't quite sure how to articulate what I thought of him but reading what you wrote helped me. I also thought he was a bit out of character but I can't really say why. He just seemed different.

And being someone who obviously has read the books, I can't say that the way the movie was written and cut confused me because I know what happens and why, but I was there with my Mom, Dad, 2 brothers and my sister and one of my brothers mentioned that he was lost. He didn't really know what was going on and found the movie hard to follow. I guess there is quite a lot going on and without the background of the book, it might be a tad bit difficult to follow everything since many things aren't really explained. (One thing I wished they would have brought up is the fact that James, Sirius, Lupin and Pettigrew were the Marauders that made the map and that James was an animagus that turned into a stag thus explaining the significance of Harry's patronus. I always thought that was so neat and a great connection between father and son but it went by the wayside in the film.)

Again, the trio looked great! They are certainly growing up very nicely. My other brother, right when the movie started and we saw Harry said: What is he 29? He certianly thought Daniel had definitely grown from the last movie and he is right. Daniel, Rupert and Emma look great.

OK, time to end my rambling...

I must reiterate the fact that I loved the movie. Inevitably, there will be differences between the film and the book but I felt that it was very well done and was faithful to the themes in the book. I wasn't dissapointed. (Of course I wouldn't have complained at all if they had lengthened the movie to make it as long as the others so some things could have been fleshed out a bit more. I don't know why they think it needed to be shorter. )

Seeing how things were condensed and we got information and events happening in slightly altered ways to move the story along with POA, I can't imagine how GOF is going to be considering how much longer the book is in comparison. It will be interesting and I hope things turn out well...
Old 06-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Master Fan

Okay I'm back to rant some more

I really loved the movie but like I said there were a few things that dissapointed me. I'm going to see it again on Sunday because I really want to take a closer look at some scenes and stuff. When I watched it yesterday I was so excited and didn't just sit back and enjoy it. I analyzed it and waited for things to happen that I saw in the trailers and pics. And I compared it to the book. But on sunday I'll just enjoy it as the movie! I'll try not to think about how I imagined it to look like or the book.

I agree with everyone on how the acting of Emma, Dan and Rupert has improved!!! They were excelent. And Dan looked so cute and hot.

Okay, one more thing. I thought that Ron got a bit left out. He was the funny one who was there to make the movie more amusing but that sometimes made bim look a bit stupid. At least to me. And I wanted to see some more Harry/Ron frindship scenes. There were so many of them in the book.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Master Fan

My reaction to PoA

Quote:
Originally posted by potterfreak24

::runs away looking for fellow aurors::
Awww, it's okay hun, you don't have to run away. To personally say, I too thought the R/H moments were darling, but to an extent that, "Oh, hey I love you as a really good friend." And I'm not going to lie; they were devilishly hilarious.

But as of right now, I don't even know what to think of this movie. I'm sort of disappointed and yet I thought it was good. My thoughts balance each other out, so that's why I'm so torn. But I guess I'm leaning towards liking it more than disliking it.

Reasons for disappointment
(And do remember that this is personal opinion and that I am a partial book purist)

Okay, for starters, they left out so much important info about Sirius and how he related to the Potters', namely the fact that he was James' best friend, not to mention that he was the best man at Lily and James' wedding. Also, the Hogsmeade scene where McGonagall was talking to Rosmerta was less than extraordinary. Just the way that the character of Sirius was dropped on us like a sack of beans was so disappointing. He has to be one of my favorite characters, and he was introduced in a 5 minute scene that was sloppily put together. It seemed as though they rushed through that very important part just to keep the movie going. And don't even get me going on the Quidditch scenes (or lack of, rather)

Another thing is, where in the world did Harry get the Firebolt? Those in the audience don't even know what it was (other than a broom) or that Sirius gave it to him. Plus, they totally put the Firebolt scene in the wrong place. There was no scene at the end where Harry is on the train, gets the letter from Sirius and the permission slip to Hogsmeade.

And taking into consideration the time limit they had and such, I feel that they could have maybe cut down on some of the less important things and focused on those that mattered to the story. Like the bird. What in the world did that have anything to do with anything? Yeah, I laughed; it was cute, it was funny, but did it really have any relevance to the plot?

*Sigh* But I don't know...I probably sound like some fanatic psycho who has to have everything in such a way, but that's not it at all. It was just frustrating to see all of this stuff in the movie that wasn't in the book, but then have the important content from the book mostly cut. And I now realized that I got away from myself and went overboard with the anger.

Reasons for liking the movie

Okay, four words for you...the guys were gorgeous! But that's not entriely it. It was so wonderful to see them so matured, though. Bettered my viewing experience.

2. Harry's hair was finally messy! (You don't understand how important that is to me. )

3. I actually liked the beginning scenes with Aunt Marge and the Knight Bus. I really did. I thought they were well done.

4. Although there were some scenes missing that explained the importance of Sirius, the rest of the scenes that focused on Lupin and everything were splendid. I loved near the ending when he turned into a werewolf. *Shudder* Really, I was freaked out, they made that werewolf scary. Another thing I liked was the way they kept the Harry and Hermione scenes near the end quite close to the book. There were a few add-ins but they all tied into plot really well.

5. The Twins...what can I say? I love Gred and Forge.

6. I also liked the parts where Sirius and Lupin were talking about how Harry was like James and Lily. I think the part that made me almost cry

Now that I've got my ranting out, you are free to comment as you wish. I really do think that when I see it again (and again, and again) I will learn to embrace its differences and eventually love the movie. There's so much that I liked about the movie that they kind of weigh out the bad things, but I'm not going to lie; my heart did sink when I realized all of the stuff that they missed.

*Crosses fingers*
Here's to seeing the movie again about 5 more times and learning to love it.

Kate
Old 06-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by -CherryPixie-

I really loved the movie but like I said there were a few things that dissapointed me. I'm going to see it again on Sunday because I really want to take a closer look at some scenes and stuff. When I watched it yesterday I was so excited and didn't just sit back and enjoy it. I analyzed it and waited for things to happen that I saw in the trailers and pics. And I compared it to the book. But on sunday I'll just enjoy it as the movie! I'll try not to think about how I imagined it to look like or the book.

I'm thinking that's what I need to do. Which I'm going to do after term is over. Just sit back and enjoy the fact that my favorite Harry Potter book was made into a movie and not complain about missing parts and such.

And I agree with the acting. I thought Dan, Rupert and Emma grew up so much in their acting. They were fantastic. And do I even have to mention Gary Oldman. He freakin' rocked. I was so pleased with his preformance. *Sigh* There was also so many things said that were funny as well...When I go to see it agian, I'll need to bring a notebook and write some of them down.

Kate
Old 06-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Loyal Fan

I saw the movie this morning, I loved it.

It was so fast pace through, if you hadnt read the books you would have been so confused.

I loved the time turner scene but draco seemed a little to cowardly during the punching scene.

There was not enough ron. But i loved it everytime ron said, where did she come from?! - so funny

Werewoof transformation was cool,the actual warewolf looked way too animated though.

The demontors and hippogriff were awesome! I loved the lake scene.

I heard JKR say that there was stuff in this movie that where in future books. Anyone see anything out of the ordinary, that might be in future books??
The only thing I could think of was the r/hr stuff which i loved.

Thank you Sade! I really wish you we did get to see that, maybe it was cut and will be on DVD.... maybe

Last edited by Ashli; 06-04-2004 at 03:46 PM
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top