Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-01-2005, 02:15 AM
doy
Loyal Fan

xmag

I haven't read much fic lately and I post a bit rarely nowadays, but I M&M just the same. And it's safe to say that I haven't been touched by any other couple nearly as they have. It's like, once you've been captured, there's no turning back. And as Tahra mentioned at the last thread, it wasn't that good of a show, but we're surprisingly still around because the characters have stayed with us. And you've got to give Roswell credit for creating and developing such memorable characters.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And as Tahra mentioned at the last thread, it wasn't that good of a show, but we're surprisingly still around because the characters have stayed with us. And you've got to give Roswell credit for creating and developing such memorable characters.
I once compared Roswell with a disabled child. It's like having other children, perfectly normal ones, but prefering the one who is handicapped, because he is weak, and deserves more attention and love.

It's true, it wasn't that good, as a show. But the characters were fantastic. So i am mad when fic authors destroy them, so i prefer to stop reading. Right now, i only read 4 Roswell fics. Just 4. It's the first time in 5 years that i don't follow 15 fics at the same time, but there's just this feeling of "déjê vu", in fics.

So, now i am reading fics from other fandoms.

But thank god for the DVDs. The show, the DVDs somehow allow this show to survive. I mean, in 20 years, there will be new fans discovering the show through DVDs or reruns. I mean, i discovered Star Trek late in time, because the show aired only once, in France, in the 70's. The shows (all 4 of them) aired in their integrality in the 90s. And that's when i saw the episodes for the first time. Not because of fanfics, but because of the show itself.

There will be new Roswell fans in the future, i know it.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

Of course new people will discover it. My kids are going to be raised on Roswell, I swear.

5 years after the show began, 3 after it ended, I've gotten my whole family into it. This show definately is a survivor, despite the plot holes, sometimes terrible writing.

Like you said, it's because of the characters. They were so real, so loveable... Well, most of them... and so wonderful.

And I love your analogy to a disabled child. It's exactly like that, they way you said.

See, my brother is severely disabled, and his twin is in perfect health, except for minor deafness. And you do take the time to look after and nuture one because they're different, and need that extra attention than the other one. Altho in our case, we don't love one more than the other, but I know what you're saying about that.

Tahra

I'M IN A GANG OF OBSESSIVE, WANT-IT-ALL SELFISH, HORNY HUMPIN' BITCHES

icon by me
Old 04-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And I love your analogy to a disabled child. It's exactly like that, they way you said.

See, my brother is severely disabled, and his twin is in perfect health, except for minor deafness. And you do take the time to look after and nuture one because they're different, and need that extra attention than the other one. Altho in our case, we don't love one more than the other, but I know what you're saying about that.
Exactly. I didn't use this analogy out of the blue, because, like you, i have a disabled sibling. My sister has a mental handicap. Light one, compared to other disabled persons, but still she needs to be looked after.

Roswell is the same. I am very protective of this show and of my favorite characters.

I feel like Roswell fans have a deep and passionate relationship with this show, and one that they don't have with other tv shows, despite watching and loving other programs. I know i am in that case. I was crazy about the X-files, but it was more intellectual. While with Michael and Maria, something that i can't really explain pushed me towards those characters. Maybe i recognized something in them, in the way life had hurt them, their search for a family, hope for a better future, emotional and physical scars... add to that that i love their kind of relationship (in books, shows, i am more attracted towards explosive couples), and i loved MD's and BF's portrayals of these characters, and voil* .
Old 04-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

I made this

Pics are from MAD Online

Smoak & Arrow
Sally | | |
Old 04-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Elite Fan

Hey, A*n*y*a*n*k*a*, awesome new fanart ! Please, could you post it on the candy thread of the Roswell board, too ? we were just discussing your fanarts there, and saying how we regretted not seeing more colors there.

So don't hesitate to come by and post your fanarts there .

- Michael and Maria belong together (Thania St John, writer)
Icon : ?
Old 04-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

sure Xmag ,i'd love to post it there.
Glad you like it

Smoak & Arrow
Sally | | |
Old 04-03-2005, 01:53 AM
Elite Fan

A*n*y*an*k*a, thanks for posting your fanart on the candy thread. I hope you will post some more soon, there.

I love the pose Majandra has, on the ancient stone stair, it's so her. Mysterious.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Master Fan

I agree that it was the characters who made Roswell as addictive as it was. For some reason, the characters all just really connected with me in S1. Right from the start, I cared about those six teens, humans and aliens, and was drawn into their story. There have been other shows I've loved (Babylon 5, X-Files, Buffy) but for those, it took longer for the characters to really get to me. With the Roswellians, it was right from the opening sequence in the Crashdown. The only show that's even come close for me is Lost.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 04-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

I made this a while ago but i didn't post it here, hope you will like it

Smoak & Arrow
Sally | | |
Old 04-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That looks totally beautiful

Old 04-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I agree that it was the characters who made Roswell as addictive as it was.
I think every Roswell fans fell in love with the characters. Well, at least, with some characters. Otherwise, i doubt we would still be here. Because, frankly, the show wasn't that great .
Lost is great, we can't help talking about it, on the other candy thread. And as we say there, it's even Roswell related, because of Emilie DeRavin .

Old 04-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Elite Fan

Well, i don't know if you know about that, but on the other candy thread, we rewatched some episodes and discuss it. This week is about "independance day" and i posted Part 1 of my thoughts about it. So if you want to have a look, or add something, or just talk about this episode, you are welcome there . There are going to be other posts for this episode. It deserves it.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:22 PM
doy
Loyal Fan

ID???

*heads over to the Roswell board*
Old 04-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doy
ID???

*heads over to the Roswell board*
You are funny, doy, real funny ! Yes, Independance day discussion on the candy thread, I have tons of things to post, about this episode. One of the best, come on, who could forget wet Michael watching Maria with puppy dog eyes ? and Maria drying his tears ? then falling asleep together ?