Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 02:24 PM
Graphics Team
Communications Team
Mon Coeur Goode

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Not to be a nag here because all the artwork is amazing!

But.... A lot of artists do put a tag of their own on their work (even not always legible), but being that this is a forum, if someone is going to share something they've come across could you pretty please, with a dragon on top, share a link to the artists blog from where it was found, like Tumblr or live journal? etc..

They might have other arts/graphics to peruse and what not.

Thanks,
🎨
Old 10-03-2022, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend
Targaryen

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

https://at.tumblr.com/la-luz-del-alm...e/qmkj8xrfja0x
Old 10-03-2022, 05:41 PM
Elite Fan
Fire and Blood

So many Daemyra videos!!
Old 10-03-2022, 07:40 PM
Graphics Team
Communications Team
Mon Coeur Goode

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the link as well!

This, from the same artist you linked is now going to be the inspiration for my new icon! (went and took my own screen cap of the scene)

Source Credit
🎨
Old 10-04-2022, 06:13 AM
Elite Fan

Another drawing of Laena I liked.

Old 10-04-2022, 12:17 PM
Elite Fan
Fire and Blood

BEAUTIFUL!!! That is stunning and perfect for the lost lady of driftmark
Old 10-04-2022, 12:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend
Targaryen

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

so bringing over the discussion on art on Emma's thread, my opinion is that if the artist signs their work, there's no need to link them, they already made sure their art can't be claimed.
Sure, you might want to see their other works, but it's not essential to credit them as they had already done so themselves.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:54 PM
Graphics Team Manager
d r a c a r y s

A signature is not the same as crediting a person. The reason why people mostly put a signature on their artwork is because their artwork gets stolen, putting a signatue/watermark on it makes it harder to do so but it's not the same as properly crediting a person for the work they put into something. It's just internet etiquette that you link to the original creator.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:56 PM
Graphics Team
Communications Team
Mon Coeur Goode

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

^^ Exactly.

Personally, as an artist who creates for my social media, people can remove a tag, even though I have put it on. I can't count how many times I've seen my work reblogged, shared and no credit is given, despite the tag being there and in some cases removed and someone else's appearing on it.

It's more of a social media etiquette really to link to the source of where the art was found. If it wasn't the original artists blog and it was a Pinterest Board or a reblogged, reblog of a reblog on something like Tumblr.... which is what tends to happen, then a link to that board/blog can be helpful.
🎨
Old 10-04-2022, 01:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend
Targaryen

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

If someone steals the artwork and uses them as their own then that is obviously a problem.
But nobody is saying here that they made the respective item, we are simply sharing it so that others can enjoy it too. Reblogging and sharing is not stealing.

Maybe I'm not as well known for artwork as you, but I certainly don't mind my work being shared without credit. It's very easy to make a gif, I've done it countless times. Asking for credit for a simple gif is like asking for credit that you cleaned the dishes or something like that. It's simply ridiculous, especially as the frames belong to the network, we are the ones who are stealing them for gifs.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:46 PM
Elite Fan

Old 10-04-2022, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend
Targaryen

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by B ē tt ⓨ (View Post)
^^ Exactly.

Personally, as an artist who creates for my social media, people can remove a tag, even though I have put it on. I can't count how many times I've seen my work reblogged, shared and no credit is given, despite the tag being there and in some cases removed and someone else's appearing on it.

It's more of a social media etiquette really to link to the source of where the art was found. If it wasn't the original artists blog and it was a Pinterest Board or a reblogged, reblog of a reblog on something like Tumblr.... which is what tends to happen, then a link to that board/blog can be helpful.
my brain can't comprehend this line of reasoning I'm afraid.
When the tag is not removed, when it is still there, the artwork is clearly yours, no matter who posts it. Why is it a problem that they are making your work more famous my posting it elsewhere?

You both keep saying it's etiquette. But etiquette is not compulsory. it's just a custom. So I can choose not to follow it.

Tell you what, we can do a compromise? When I do see the creator's name/link, I will post it here on this board, but when I don't see it, I will not go into hourslong searches just to find it and post without it. How is that?
Old 10-04-2022, 02:08 PM
Elite Fan

Same

like I've said I've been on these boards for like 10 years now. This is the first time I have ever been told I was stealing because I didn't post a link to the artist. I for one would be happy to see people loving and sharing my art. Unless they were claiming it was there's or making money off of it. Then I would not be okay.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:10 PM
Moderator Manager

Hey, everyone. Let's take a break. No one is accusing anyone of stealing. People are being reminded and asked to link back to the source. It's great to give credit and if people want to use it later or reblog/share, they can do so easily.

I want to point to Fan Forum's rules.
Quote:
Posting Pictures:
  • Please credit the person who made the avatar you’re using in your signature whenever possible. In addition, if you post fan art here, please credit the person who made it. If you see someone using an avatar or fan art that you created without giving you the proper credit for creating it, contact a Moderator or a Moderator Manager.
If you get it from tumblr, just share the link. Same with any other social media site. That's all that is being asked.

Also, let's please move on and enjoy the art.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend
Targaryen

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

the rule mentions only fanart, not gifs or other random stuff.