Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2021, 05:08 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

1x04 - Fire Walks with Z - Episode Discussion

Fire Walks With Z
Written by Courtney Perdue and Baindu Saidu; Directed by Jennifer Lynch

Zoya’s attempts to avoid her birthday are no match for Luna and Monet’s warpath. While Julien escalates tensions, Nick and Davis put down their arms.
Bad news sends Max on a bender, Audrey levels with Aki, and Kate gets an exciting opportunity.
Premieres July 29.

Last edited by airali_glo; 12-07-2021 at 04:24 PM
airali_glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:25 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

Copy paste from Campaign thread

OHHH what an episode.

Crazy stuff happens at the party, but also all the school drama between Zoya and Julien! They made up again at the end of the episode, but it's becoming a routine, so I wonder when they'll fight again for some reason. Their ending scenes were nice, though, I liked that Zoya chosed to spend the rest of her birthday with Julien and not Obie.
Julien is really an interesting person behind all that social media thing she keep putting on and I really don't like Monet and Luna playing her for their own interests. Especially Monet, who thinks only at the fact that she doesn't want to have the same job as her parents. I wonder if Julien will become stronger at affirming her needs and beliefs. In this episode one moment she was I love Zoya I don't want to hurt her and the next I'm going to destroy her. She needs to understand what she really wants and I fear she can't do that with Monet and Luna playing here like a puppet. I feel that with her is always one step ahead and two back.

I like Zoya's and Julien's dads together, they're funny I also liked the way they did their best to convince her that it was her birthday too and not a day of guilt.

Max, Max, Max. I hated the fact that we saw so little about him and all of it was with Rafa. And they had sex too, while I thought they were saving it for later in the season. I hated that they made it look like Rafa is the only one who cares about him - being there for him, telling him he needs help, making sure he doesn't enter the party high af, keeping him company until the high passes - while all he truly needed were his friends. Safran and Jason said it won't be romanticized and it will end bad, but honestly at this point it doesn't look so. There was also the romantic song in the background while there were taking their clothes off and believe it or not I saw some people shipping them. I'm curious to see this "bad ending" and the disapproval of this story. Next week Aki will confront Rafa and there will be angst with Max, it's going to be interesting, since it's such a brave thing to do for Aki.

Speaking of him I absolutely loved him this episode. He was confused and scared and also angry because of what Audrey did. He was vulnerable, but I loved he had the courage to say he's into both men and women. Audrey supporting him was nice, although that homophobic comment at the beginning was absolutely HORRID, with her saying that her sleeping with Max was normal, while Aki kissing a same sex person was abnormal. Again, like with her mother, she made everything about herself - she apologised, later, but still it's another reason for me to not liking her. The positive thing is that Aki will feel more confident thanks to her support and not guilty for being who he is. They clearly share a deep bond, but I feel they just love each other, they're not in love with each other anymore. "I'm not sorry I kissed him" OHH AKIIIIII you're a bi king and we love you for that.
LOL at Audrey bringing that guy to make Aki jealous and then not only he was gay, but he had also eyed Aki and recognized immediately he wasn't straight.

I loved him and Audrey being the only ones (except Rafa, ughh) worrying about Max.

Obie, well, I get Zoya was acting weird and differently, but you were about to drop her already like you did with Julien. So you like her or not? I wonder.

MILO SPARKS. I MEAN. Georgina raised him well, he's a creepy little devil I thought he was going to simply have one scene and he was part of the plot, instead!

Old 12-13-2021, 02:05 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

Old 02-26-2022, 09:53 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Sister bonding Don't expect it to last but that ending was amazing. This is what is needed, not unnecessary fighting over nothing. Plus clearly after this episode we see that Zoya's been through enough crap & bullying. Julien really seems to be trying to turn a new leaf here, so would be nice if that could last. But what would Gossip Girl be without drama?

I really want Julien to figure out that Luna & Monet were stringing her along, using her, & responsible for causing her sister a LOT of hurt on this day. They had to have been the people responsible for dobbing Zoya & her father in for their living situation

While Audrey was all up in her own head in this, I actually thought she did really well here. I think the way it was done was perfect. It showed how so many people see straight as normal, or even that there is only two options. But it also showed growth - she tried to support Aki, eventually. She did stupid things along the way like bringing the other guy along to the party. But she did get there. Then she supported him. So many wouldn't do that. So that for me was wonderful to see. She could've just as easily continue with her 'it isn't normal' feelings & broken up with him. Especially since he wasn't sorry for kissing Max. But instead she could accept that. But that could also be that she can't really fault him for it as a part of her enjoyed her time with Max too. I don't think for a second that they actually love each other, it is just that they're comfortable together & they love that & having someone

Milo was perfectly done in this. Clearly his mother's son
Old 02-27-2022, 01:37 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

This episode was the first one when you could feel the old GG vibe. By the way it was the last one critics watched before the show premiered on HBO Max Wondering if it will be the same for S2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinebrighterxx (View Post)
Sister bonding Don't expect it to last but that ending was amazing. This is what is needed, not unnecessary fighting over nothing. Plus clearly after this episode we see that Zoya's been through enough crap & bullying. Julien really seems to be trying to turn a new leaf here, so would be nice if that could last. But what would Gossip Girl be without drama?
I really loved them making up and the hug. I fel really bad for Zoya here, that moment with the video was horrible. Julien's going to turn several new leaves from now on I can't hate her, though, it seems to me that she really tries, but then something happen and she get carried away.

Quote:
I really want Julien to figure out that Luna & Monet were stringing her along, using her, & responsible for causing her sister a LOT of hurt on this day. They had to have been the people responsible for dobbing Zoya & her father in for their living situation
I agree, but sadly it won't happen I guess that Julien somehow knows why they did it or she's used to their behavior? She's going to confront them at some point, but I feel she "accepts" them as they are, so she knows that acting like that is part of their character and their way to see life? I want to hope she told them something off screen, maybe.

Quote:
While Audrey was all up in her own head in this, I actually thought she did really well here. I think the way it was done was perfect. It showed how so many people see straight as normal, or even that there is only two options. But it also showed growth - she tried to support Aki, eventually. She did stupid things along the way like bringing the other guy along to the party. But she did get there. Then she supported him. So many wouldn't do that. So that for me was wonderful to see. She could've just as easily continue with her 'it isn't normal' feelings & broken up with him. Especially since he wasn't sorry for kissing Max. But instead she could accept that. But that could also be that she can't really fault him for it as a part of her enjoyed her time with Max too. I don't think for a second that they actually love each other, it is just that they're comfortable together & they love that & having someone
Safran said on Twitter that he wanted to show that characters aren't perfect and Audrey not only is called out by Julien, but eventually learns and accepts Aki. Emily and Evan said the same thing in early interviews. In my opinion showing support from the start doesn't mean a character is perfect. She could have done that, but no, first she said that wasn't normal and then she decided to "repay" Aki with inviting another guy to the party. She made everything about herself again (and she'sll do that again in episode 6) and just because suddenly she realized she was wrong doesn't make me excuse her. She didn't break up with him just because the throuple is set to come in a few episodes after this one, for me they should have break up already way before Aki realized he was bisexual.
I remember people on Twitter starting to like her after this episode, but for me it didn't change anything.

Quote:
Milo was perfectly done in this. Clearly his mother's son
I totally agree! He's iconic as his mother, so well done

Old 02-27-2022, 04:29 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I think because you already don't like Audrey (& know what she is like in the future) it influences how you feel about what she did here. We can agree to disagree on it. I think it was well done in those moments. It was truthful to how people still see things, it was truthful to Audrey in only thinking of herself, but it also showed acceptance & growth. At least right now in these moments. Those things I like (well not her bringing the other guy but I also think she needed someone who didn't know Aki to tell her he might be gap to give her the courage to ask)
Old 02-28-2022, 09:20 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

I don't know back then I didn't know what was going to happen and still I didn't like her and what she did, the way she did.

I remember people on Twitter considering her asking him "are you gay?" a way of outing him, because she asked him in public. I have no idea about this, though because I'm not too sure about what's considered outing and what not, so I can't judge, but I remember people complaining about that.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:58 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I can't judge that either. I thought they went somewhere private to talk? Maybe she first asks it in public though. I doubt it would have been intended that way

I guess for me watching it, I don't think much of someone saying "it's not normal" as I expect to hear comments like that*. There are way too many homophobic & biphobic people in the world & then a lot of people who just don't get it. So I can accept hearing a comment like that as there are far worse & I don't see it as being said as an insult. I doubt it was intended this way but it could even be seen as her saying it because she doesn't feel it is normal for Aki. I can forgive the words & appreciate the storyline told. Audrey however is still not the best person & gets wrapped up in herself. I find Monet & Luna far worse than her so far though.

* I would also rather be told my feelings/sexuality isn't normal than being asked what gender I prefer or if I have been with both. But as I said, there are worse things she could have said. So I think I am biased in my tolerating & understanding the comment. While also agreeing she is wrong in her words.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

Quote:
I can't judge that either. I thought they went somewhere private to talk? Maybe she first asks it in public though. I doubt it would have been intended that way
Yes, they go somewhere else, but it's after she asked him "are you gay"

Quote:
I guess for me watching it, I don't think much of someone saying "it's not normal" as I expect to hear comments like that*. There are way too many homophobic & biphobic people in the world & then a lot of people who just don't get it. So I can accept hearing a comment like that as there are far worse & I don't see it as being said as an insult. I doubt it was intended this way but it could even be seen as her saying it because she doesn't feel it is normal for Aki. I can forgive the words & appreciate the storyline told. Audrey however is still not the best person & gets wrapped up in herself. I find Monet & Luna far worse than her so far though.

* I would also rather be told my feelings/sexuality isn't normal than being asked what gender I prefer or if I have been with both. But as I said, there are worse things she could have said. So I think I am biased in my tolerating & understanding the comment. While also agreeing she is wrong in her words.
Even when they fight over Zoya's party, she's like "you have to choose, you can't go to both" and I felt it was also about their cheating situation.
I don't know, it's true that there are people who make that kind of comments in reality, but still I didn't like to see it. She could have been accepting from the start, it's not like everyone has to react like that, to me she just came out more annoying than I already thought she was.

Monet and Luna are mean, but I can tolerate them better, after all. They're open on the way they are, they're not like Audrey who keeps saying she's a bad person and then behaves exactly the same way. I don't even believe her when she's sorry.

Maybe my problem is also the way Emily portrays her, maybe it's her acting who doesn't make me believe her

Old 02-28-2022, 04:13 PM
Graphics Team Manager

That is true about the "choose one, not both". I can understand not wanting/liking to see it. I think I just like representation & the honesty that it isn't always acceptable or hate, sometimes it can be both & people can come to acceptance

Fair enough. I will see how I feel about the three the more I watch
Old 03-01-2022, 03:58 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

Yeah, I guess everyone's different when watching these things on tv

Can I say that it was fun to see that it took literally one second to that guy to understand that Aki was queer, while Audrey couldn't even imagine that?

As I always tell everyone here who's still watchig the show: I hope you'll become a fellow Akimax shipper (after the first six episodes, but especially at the end of the season) I feel kinda alone, in here!

Old 03-01-2022, 11:22 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Exactly We all get our own things & bring our own feelings/experiences into things.

Agreed. She was too close. But it is nice that they're showing that it doesn't take much for outsiders (or even Max) to see Aki's attraction to males

shame you feel alone . Would be nice to ship the same thing for a change since we were the opposite sides with Smash
Old 03-02-2022, 08:48 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Gossip Girl (HBO Max)

I'm sure Aki has plenty of secret male crushes at school and I want to see them all wondering if Max suspected that too already, I bet he did.

It would be nice, absolutely! Crossing fingers, even though you're getting close to the throuple, so you could like that instead, while I shipped Akimax already in ep 1

Yeah, I'm still shocked you shipped Derek and Ivy, in Smash or that you liked Ivy in general

Reply   Post New Thread