Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

And it was nice to see him as someone other than Logan Huntzerger.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Extreme Fan

More buzz for Matt's pilot from Variety and Dead Line.

Quote:
Matt Nix’s Marvel pilot, which was directed by Bryan Singer, is said to be a lock with a source saying, it’s “definitely going.” Fox also has its eye on medical drama “The Resident” and “Controversy,”
Pilot Buzz: Which Shows for 2017-2018 Are Hot at ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS and CW? | Variety

Quote:
On the drama side, Matt Nix’s Marvel pilot, directed by Bryan Singer, is still considered a lock (it underwent some reshoots), with medical drama The Resident, which has dark overtones, in serious contention after a light tweak to the original cut. The University project has been well received and also is considered a contender, with its topic, college rape, dividing opinions but also drawing praise for the way it is handled . Behind Enemy Lines has lost some momentum but, with only four Fox drama pilots produced, none can be discounted completely.
http://deadline.com/2017/04/pilots-2...gs-1202078829/

And a review of the script

The Runway – Your 2017 Pilot Survival Guide: FOX Dramas | The Tracking Board | Page 3

The not spoilerish parts.

Quote:
Essentially Training Day in a hospital, The Resident does manage to give us a flawed mentor whose volatility, more than anything else, drives our curiosity about what happens next.

This is equal parts Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, and General Hospital. The dark and twisted execution places it a notch above medical procedurals like last year’s dull Pure Genius. I’m curious enough to see where things might lead.
More convinced than before that the pilot's title refers to Matt's character who apparently is the most interesting one...

Also there's a prediction about what pilots will be (or should be) picked up by FOX.
Quote:
Final Verdict

Judging from Walden’s reported remarks at a recent conference, Fox is proud of its socially relevant storylines, but not at the cost of entertainment.

Other than Orville, social consciousness ties Behind Enemy Lines, The Resident, and Controversy together. Each pilot deals with a very specific and high stakes social issue: civil war and Islamophobia (Behind Enemy Lines), medical negligence (The Resident), and campus rape (Controversy).

Conflicts of interest feature strongly in each pilot, used effectively to create internal struggles within protagonists, as does institutional corruption. There’s a bit of Paths of Glory running through each of these. While Fox certainly gets us thinking, it keeps us entertained too — we’ve got romance, betrayals, murder, crises, and classic soapy structures. I’m calling this the “social soap.”

Both Controversy and The Resident are at par, with Controversy leading the pack in terms of craft and entertainment value. I’d be surprised if they don’t join the Marvel series on the fall schedule.

While Behind Enemy Lines has its source material and military themes going for it, I’m not sure IP and trends have proven to be all that successful lately. Plus, it’s an expensive show. Does Fox really need this? I don’t believe so.

http://www.tracking-board.com/the-ru...-fox-dramas/7/

Last edited by *Ty*; 04-28-2017 at 11:32 PM
Old 04-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for bringing this over!

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 04-29-2017, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Awesome! Thanks, Ty for sharing all of that, it sounds very promising. Hmm, it sounds like it'll be a dark medical drama?
Old 04-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
Awesome! Thanks, Ty for sharing all of that, it sounds very promising. Hmm, it sounds like it'll be a dark medical drama?
It was conceived like a dark medical drama for Showtime but reading what DeadLine wrote about it I suppose there were some changes to make it work for FOX. For instance I think Matt's character was supposed to be really dark (it was originally described like a psycopath) but it seems they made the character more greyish (a flawed mentor) but not a complete bastard.

Last edited by *Ty*; 04-29-2017 at 02:11 PM
Old 05-01-2017, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's May, so it won't be long until we know if it gets picked up!

Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
It's May, so it won't be long until we know if it gets picked up!
Pretty anxious and nervous right now
Old 05-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

I did read 1 article somewhere on variety or thr.com that it wasn't among the top 10 picks up

Old 05-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Flame (View Post)
I did read 1 article somewhere on variety or thr.com that it wasn't among the top 10 picks up
It's THR article. But it means really little. They just chose two pilots (one comedy and one drama) for every network, the most likely to be picked for sure, but that was already stated by deadline and Variety. As for FOX everyone knows that the Marvel show is a sure thing since the beginning so no surprise they picked it. But nothing new and nothing to worry about when it comes to Matt's pilot.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Yeah, I'm not surprised the Marvel show took precedent over Matt's show. Marvel's an industry unto itself now and a sure thing, so I wouldn't get too discouraged, Karen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ty* (View Post)
It was conceived like a dark medical drama for Showtime but reading what DeadLine wrote about it I suppose there were some changes to make it work for FOX. For instance I think Matt's character was supposed to be really dark (it was originally described like a psycopath) but it seems they made the character more greyish (a flawed mentor) but not a complete bastard.
Ah, I see, thanks for all of that info. I'm kinda thankful they made him presumably less of a psychopath, although that WOULD be fun to see Matt play.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:44 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
Ah, I see, thanks for all of that info. I'm kinda thankful they made him presumably less of a psychopath, although that WOULD be fun to see Matt play.
It would have been fun but long term I prefer a character I can end up rooting for even if flawed
Old 05-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sure he's still a little bit bad... He has to be..

Old 05-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Addicted Fan

Really? I am not sure, that I want Matt as an "evil" character. He was great as Cary in TGW.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I'm sure he's still a little bit bad... He has to be..
A bit of bad...yeah, but not so much bad that you end up loathing him

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaja (View Post)
Really? I am not sure, that I want Matt as an "evil" character. He was great as Cary in TGW.
My feel is that his character is somewhere in between Cary and Logan but way more tougher
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ty* (View Post)
My feel is that his character is somewhere in between Cary and Logan but way more tougher
do you think so? That might still be tolerable.
But if he was supposed to be a psychopath ... I don't know. I am a little afraid that his character will be "much more negative" than Logan and especially than Cary.

Last edited by tanaja; 05-02-2017 at 01:12 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread