Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 AM
New Fan

One question for Season 6 "New and Improved Lorelai"

Hi guys, I am a overseas fun for Gilmore Girls, I just got one question for Season 6 in Episode 1 "New and Improved Lorelei", at the beginning Lorelei and Luke discussed how to celebrate their engagement, Luke asked "- Where are we going? ", "To Funkytown" Lorelei answered. My question is what the meaning of " to Funkytown"? I have any a disagreement with my friends, hope someone here can give me the correct answer, thanks.
ericju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

First off, welcome to the GG board!

I think there's a double meaning in that-1) the obvious reference to the 70s classic "Funky Town" by Lipps Inc. & 2) "funkytown" being a euphemism for sex.
Talula78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Welcome!

I think so too, Jen.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Also, thanks for sharing that interview excerpt! I had never read her take on the whole thing. Makes a lot more sense and I kinda don't blame her for doing what she did, it just sucks that they couldn't simply hire the writers or end the show the way she wanted to.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
Also, thanks for sharing that interview excerpt! I had never read her take on the whole thing. Makes a lot more sense and I kinda don't blame her for doing what she did, it just sucks that they couldn't simply hire the writers or end the show the way she wanted to.
No problem. And I agree.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:33 AM
Obsessed Fan

Went through the first 7 eps:

- Loved all the scenes about Lane and the band coming back from tour. But when did Brian lose all of his brain cells? He didn’t used to be as bimboish as Zach and Gale. Maybe it was just temporary occness for the sake of comedic relief in the ep where he and Zach were talked into spending 9 000 on computer equipment.

- Hate Rory and Lorelai not talking. That was, I think, the only or at least the biggest reason I disliked this season the first time round.

- The deliberate creepiness of Rory turning into a mini Emily is working on me. I’m all creeped out. And hope not to see much of DAR ladies in the future.

- Creepy though all things DAR are, I loved the one-day-of-work-turns-Paris-into-a-Marxist thing in the DAR party ep.

- Love Paul Anka.

- When Richard and Emily invited an unfamiliar character over to breakfast have a sex talk with Rory, I first thought they invited a gynecologist. But nope. They invited a priest. Weird. Are they more religious than I noticed or did they just want to scare Rory? Or maybe it was just for the sake of comedy?

- “I believe I have the address of your Asian friend.” “Lane.” “Rory’s Asian friend…” “Lane!” Yikes. Ugly. Not that it’s unexpected of Emily.

- Madeleine Albright. Creepy. This show’s love for some US politicians is pretty much the only thing I really hate about it.

- The bag Emily was obsessed with seemed like a weird gift from Logan to Rory. There is way more to Logan than a rich dude with a love for generic, expensive things. And that’s definitely not a Rory thing either. RL are still all cute though. Though it’s part ruined for me because I’m preemptively dreading the cheating sl.

- Speaking of romances, I also really liked when Lorelai encouraged Luke to do what he wants to do and not participate in anything she likes but he doesn’t.

Fave dialogues so far (too long but they don't work when shortened):

Quote:
Rev.BOATWRIGHT: You know, Rory, being a young lady comes with many gifts. Your virtue, for example, is a gift, a precious gift. Possibly the most precious gift you possess.
RORY: (looking the way Emily and Richard went off) Uh-huh.
Rev.BOATWRIGHT: You want to give this gift very carefully. It is a gift you can give to only one man. Once you give it, it's gone. You can't re-gift it. If you give it away too soon to the wrong man, then when the right one does come along, you have no gift to give. You'll have to buy him a sweater. Do you understand what I'm saying?
RORY: No.
Rev.BOATWRIGHT: Think long and hard about when and to whom you want to give the ultimate gift you have to give away.
RORY: Oh.
Rev.BOATWRIGHT: Yes.
RORY: Oh, dear.
Rev.BOATWRIGHT: Oh, dear, indeed.
RORY: Um...well, (chuckles a bit uncomfortably) listen, Reverend. I really appreciate you taking the time out of what I assume is a busy day to come here and talk to me about...all of this, but, um, I'm afraid the ultimate-gift ship has sailed.
Rev.BOATWRIGHT: What?
RORY: A while ago. It's probably in Fiji by now.
Quote:
RORY: I hate her. Hate! Strong, unadulterated, blind...Uurrghh!
PARIS: Wow. You're always so Desmond Tutu-ey. This is refreshing.
RORY: I should tell her to leave. I should march up to her and tell her to grab those arrogance-dripping, petulance-oozing, surgically cosmeticized bims she brought along and hit the bricks.
PARIS: I bet they all have money, too. Every one of those commodity fetishists.
RORY: How can she expect a table? The tables are for the people who are polite enough to respond to an invitation in the proper manner.
PARIS: I bet you the Romanovs never RSVP'd either. They got theirs. Capitalist scum.
RORY: I hate her!
PARIS: I hate the rich. A hard rain is gonna fall, you know what I'm saying?
RORY: I really hate her!
PARIS: They should die.
RORY: I should probably give her a table.
PARIS: What?
RORY: Well, we have a spare table. We kept it open in case of something like this. I should give it to her. PARIS: But she doesn't deserve it.
RORY: I know, but this is business. It's not personal. I should give her that table.
PARIS: Fine. Whatever you think. You're the boss. Hey, boss, how much are you being paid in this job of yours? (Rory looks at Paris for a beat and then walks way)
Quote:
RORY: Nothing, nothing. He's just...They're just not the nicest people.
PARIS: Well, the rich never are, because they don't have to be. When you control the means of production, it reduces the incentive to humanize workers. The capitalist system...
RORY (cuts Paris off) You know, I haven't eaten all day. I...I think I should eat. That's my problem. (walks away)
PARIS: Sure, boss, go eat. There's probably somewhere else where you eat, right? Special room.

Quote:
LANE: (to Brian) He asleep?
BRIAN: He's waiting for his muse.
ZACH: Don't say it like that.
BRIAN: Like what?
ZACH: All condescending. It's not cool.
BRIAN: I wasn't condescending.
ZACH: Songwriting is about making yourself open and vulnerable so that the lyrics come out true. If I'm being sensitive, that's a by-product of my craft.
BRIAN: I hear you.
ZACH: Okay, now you just patronized me.
BRIAN: I wasn't patronizing you.
LANE: Carry on. (walks away)
ZACH: What's with her being all dismissive?
BRIAN: Hey, you want to get more fries?
ZACH: Oh! Yes! Yes! Dude, you said "fries," and it hit me.
BRIAN: Really?
ZACH: Quick, get this down.
BRIAN: (rapidly cleans his hands gets ready to take notes) Go.
ZACH: (in melodical voice) Ah ah ah ah-ah oh-oh-oooh
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Paris was great in 6x05.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

She really was.

Finished the season.

- My hatred for the season has evaporated, I think. Still hate the Lorelai/Rory split, but it’s easier to swallow when you binge watch through it.

- Still hate the unnecessary, forced LL drama too. They’ve written them as a couple so well last season and they should have just continued that. I understand they might have wanted a conflict, but they didn’t come up with a compelling or convincing one.

- I can see why Lorelai was uncomfortable with her lack of involvement with April, but I really don’t like her behavior in the finale at all. Luke was right imo. It was an ultimatum and it really wasn’t fair to him. Also, the hypocrisy of “You're gonna have to figure out how April fits into our lives, not the other way around,” when Luke fully respected her decision to set the date after she makes up with Rory, though she had no idea when or how that might happen and Luke was worried about their future at the time too. I hope that was bad writing or spur of the moment thing, because Lorelai isn’t usually so extremely selfish.

- Not a fan of retconing CL history in that car scene in the finale. They made is seem like she never really loved Christopher at all, which is not how they wrote it s1-3. s5 they actually did a great job showing that her feelings have changed and she loves Luke now, especially 5.13. The “I don't think I never really loved anyone, until Luke“ was completely unnecessary.

- CL are my favorite romantic relationship on this show, but I think revisiting them (especially as anything more than a one night stand) is completely pointless. She loves Luke now and she knows it.

- I’m also still hating that all men the Gilmore girls ever dated are forever obsessed with them. Max, Dean, Jess… let them move on. Jason also had a terrible ending.

- Speaking of Jess, it was nice seeing him back and at a happier place in his life. His development happened off screen, but it was nice to see the glimpses of the person he’s become anyway. I like this sl not only because I love the artsy-character-does-art trope, but because they also wrote it the just way I like it - independent publishing house full of colorful characters who aren’t necessarily as amazing as they think are but who try + a book that isn’t some trashy best seller or necessarily the future literary classic, but that Jess put his whole being into.

- Rory getting back on track was probably my favorite thing to watch this season. 6.09 is a particularly good Rory ep imo. So is 6.13.

- Much though I hate the eps in which Lorelai/Rory aren’t talking, I appreciate the overall story with Rory learning first hand why Lorelai has issues with Richard, Emily and their world.

- 6.13 is one of the show’s overall best eps imo. Great for the Gilmore family dynamic focus.

- Can’t believe I’m going to say this, but after rewatching the Rory/Logan/bridesmates thing, I kinda see his point more than I originally did. I believe he really did think they were broken up. With that said, if I was Rory, I’d still be worried about his ability to be in a monogamous relationship. Because, as Lorealai rightfully pointed out last season, it might not be his thing just like casual dating wasn’t hers.

- Logan’s bonding with Chris and Luke was cute. Enjoyed both the ep where he met Chris and where he are Rory went away with Lorelai and Luke.

- Speaking of Logan, I love him, but he was such a jerk in 6.08. There was zero reasons to treat Jess like that.

- Speaking of jerky behavior, Zach was insufferable in 6.10. First he’s completely insensitive to Lane. Then he gets mad at Brian’s attempt to make her feel better (points for Brian there btw). Finally, he trashes the stage (aggressive much?), hence ruining their chances with the label.

- I’m so not a fan of marriage for Lane. Would have preferred they didn’t go there. But I have to admit the way it was written was super cute and funny, so I could enjoy it at some level at least. The way Zach proposed to her, the way he got the permission fom Mrs. Kim (them writing a hit, lol), the double wedding (so Mrs. Kim is a rebel of a sort, defying her mother’s religion; who would have thought), the after party (cute how they briefly showed Brian/Lane’s cousin romance that they hinted at back when the band visited Mrs. Kim’s party).

- Rory and Lorelai talked about the priest incident! Happy they clarified that it was in fact an intimidation tactic on Richard and Emily’s part.

- When Paris moves, so does her Chomsky poster. Cute.

- Lol @ Emily playing a matchmaker for Chris.

- Lol @ Lane briefly becoming intimidating to the customers in Mrs. Kim’s shop when she was upset over the band and Zach. She and Luke have more in common than they think.

- Lol @ Paris’s short lived time as the Yale Daily News editor.

Fave dialogues
Quote:
LORELAI: You do understand, you'd basically be cutting Mom and Dad off.
RORY: You don't know what it was like to be living there.
LORELAI [insulted]: Hello, oppressed one, class of eighty-five!
RORY: But you got out.
LORELAI: No, no. You were only there for three months. You're not in my league. We can't swap war stories yet.
RORY: They had their Reverend come over to talk me out of having sex. They never did that to you.
LORELAI: Five times they did that to me! The last time they triple-teamed me with a priest, a rabbi and a Mormon missionary. I made so many jokes that night, I should have had a microphone and a brick wall behind me. And I never got a forty thousand dollar sex house.
Quote:
LUKE: What are you doing talking to him? (as they enter the diner)
APRIL: He asked about my bike.
LUKE: You don't talk to him, you don't know him. He could be a strangler.
APRIL: He seemed to know you.
LUKE: Yeah, of course. That's Jake. I've known him fifteen years.
APRIL: You've known a strangler for fifteen years?
LUKE: He's not a strangler.
APRIL: Then why can't I talk to him?
LUKE: Because you didn't know that. Don't trust anyone, OK? Anyone.
APRIL: OK (puts her bike helmet on the counter), then I should go lock my bike. (starts to exit but Luke stops her)
LUKE: No, you don't have to lock it.
APRIL: You just said I can't trust anyone.
LUKE: You don't have to lock your bike. This is a safe town.
APRIL: Well, I'm confused.
Quote:
LORELAI: He's completely in shock, and he's trying to handle it the best way he can.
SOOKIE: Drinking?
LORELAI: No.
SOOKIE: Xanax?
LORELAI: No. He's trying to be a father, and I applaud that.
Quote:
RORY: Check it out. [The look in to a class room from a doorway] I had him for microeconomics last year.
PROFESSOR COPPEDGE: The currency must be more than fungible, but also scarce. Take our seashells example. While fungible, they exist in infinite supply and so fail the scarcity test.
CHRISTOPHER: [Snoring]
RORY: Dad!
CHRISTOPHER: Huh? What? Uh, uh, fungible?
RORY: Dad, that's a Nobel-prize winner.
CHRISTOPHER: The dull dude?
RORY: Shh!
CHRISTOPHER: He doesn't even own an iron.
RORY: I can't take you anywhere.
CHRISTOPHER: No, you can't, can you?

Quote:
RORY: Paris, the paper's not gonna come out.
PARIS: Of course it is.
RORY: How? Nothing's done.
PARIS: I'm working on it.
RORY: Alone?
PARIS: I can do it alone. I've been doing it alone for months. No man is an island, but this woman is.
Quote:
PARIS: You, Logan Huntzberger, are nothing but a two-bit, [he tries to push past Paris] spoiled waste of a trust fund. You offer nothing to women or the world in general. If you were to disappear from the face of the earth tomorrow, the only person that would miss you is your Porsche dealer.
Rivals Emily’s anti-Jess rant from s3.
Slayerette89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

I've watched through 6x12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
- Lol @ Lane briefly becoming intimidating to the customers in Mrs. Kim’s shop when she was upset over the band and Zach. She and Luke have more in common than they think.
That was great.

I love the Paris quote about Logan.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
- The bag Emily was obsessed with seemed like a weird gift from Logan to Rory. There is way more to Logan than a rich dude with a love for generic, expensive things. And that’s definitely not a Rory thing either. RL are still all cute though. Though it’s part ruined for me because I’m preemptively dreading the cheating sl.
Yeah I didn't really get why Logan got Rory the birken bag, he must have known that it wouldn't be something that Rory would care that much about, he even has to explain to her that it's a bit fancier than just a regular bag to keep her computer cables in
Old 11-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Elite Fan

I want to respond to so much of this but it would take so long
Melissa | icon; Kita
just stand still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:33 PM
New Fan

S:6 E:2 Piece of fuzz on camera

I don't know about you guys but the piece of fuzz on the left side of the camera during the Rory , Emily and Richard dining room scene was driving me crazy.
PookieNumNums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Omg now I'm gonna have to go and check that out! I never noticed it before.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula78 (View Post)
Omg now I'm gonna have to go and check that out! I never noticed it before.
I couldn't stop staring at it lol
PookieNumNums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

I'll have to check it out too. Never caught that.
Reply   Post New Thread