Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2004, 01:27 AM
Loyal Fan

Re: Iran '79

Quote:
Originally posted by allyanndanes
Hello !

I have a question about ep 4.01 (Ballroom and Biscotti).

Rory told Lorelai that Emily is taken her hostage. She said: "This Iran in '79 and you (Lorelai) are Jimmy Carter. What do we do ?" Lorelai understood the reference of Iran '79 only when she realized that her father went to bed hours ago. Why ? I don't get it. I know it's about politics but why the fact of Richard went to bed, is related to politics ?

Thank you.
In 1979, during the Iranian revolution, the Iranian militants stormed the US embassy in Teheran and took 66 hostages. This happened after the shah had been admitted to the US for medical care. Jimmy Carter ordered an attempt to rescue this hostages, but failed.

My guess is that this is in reference to Rory being taken "hostage" by Emily, after Richard went to bed.... making Richard the shah, Emily the Iranian militants. And my guess, is that because JC failed in this attempt that is why Lorelai asked to drop the Jimmy Carter reference and the, why she got the Jimmy Carter reference.
Tim's Rally Girl #9

Don't you just love that smile??
avie by: daritah
Old 10-18-2004, 01:58 AM
Extreme Fan

Hi ! Mary a trory fan,

Thank you so much for your answer because know I get it ! It was more obvious for me when I related the Rory's quote "you are JC. What do we do ?" to the fact that JC failed on his attempt.
Little “O” as in obtuse / Double “Z” as in ZZ top...
- Anthony DiNozzo Jr
Old 10-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Cotton Candy

Ohh, I never got that! I always laugh anyway though, just because Lorelai's laugh is so contagious

Thanks for the explanation Mary!

Old 10-18-2004, 06:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Ok my question isn't to do with a reference but I figured one of you would know on here

I know the pilot was filmed in Canada but how long after the pilot did episode 2 get filmed because Emily's hair goes from a really short bob to a longer bob so it must have been a while after before they moved it all to LA. And does anyone know what month the pilot was shot. I know they auditioned in March but after that I have no idea.

Thanks.

MMS #55, ILY #64, WYMM #17, NSL #15, VT #4, LL #11

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/lookin_for_luke/ My day on the Gilmore Girl Set
Scott Patterson hugged me
Old 10-18-2004, 06:43 PM
Cotton Candy

I don't know exactly how long after the Pilot was filmed that they started work on TLFDAC, but pilots are always filmed a good amount of time before the rest of the episodes, since the pilot episode is what the producers use to sell the show. Once they get picked up, based on the merits of that pilot episode, they continue to film more episodes.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Master Fan

The show was officially picked up in May, so if they auditioned in March then they would have done filming in March or April.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Cotton Candy

Then they probably started filming Episode 2 around July or August, just like the following seasons.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks Dana and Jennarose

MMS #55, ILY #64, WYMM #17, NSL #15, VT #4, LL #11

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/lookin_for_luke/ My day on the Gilmore Girl Set
Scott Patterson hugged me
Old 10-20-2004, 09:58 AM
New Fan

ref?

What's "huzzah"?
I know it's some sort of happy exclamation, but what's the origin?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Extreme Fan

Bet you wish you'd never asked now...

A quick google turned up this from this site. (You need to scroll down the page a bit).

I expect that there may well be multiple suggestions of origins. The first time I can remember someone saying it was in Season One, Concert Interruptus when Sookie tells Lorelai and Rory and Lane that she got tickets for The Bangles from Mr Birnbaum whose daughter's wedding they did at the Inn and Lorelai says "Huzzah for the Birnbaums"

"Huzzah"

The cry "Huzzah", according to the OED, originated as a sailor's exclamation which was taken over by low-class landsmen and soldiers. The peculiar thing about the cheer was that it was designed to be shouted in unison by groups of people. The first part of the word was there simply to alert the mob, crew, company or what had you, and put them in readiness to all shout the "-ZAH" part of the word together. It resembles a military voiced command which contains a command of preparation and a command of execution. The cheer however, is more focused on getting the timing right. In other words a cheerleader could start the cheer by merely shouting "Hoo!" and everyone would, in perfect unison, follow up with a lusty "ZAH!"

The OED is not too clear on the origin of the word but seems to allude to its having originally been used as a signal for work teams to haul away at lines and sheets all together.

For those interested in alternatives we are given the word "Huzzay" which means the same thing as the more familiar Huzzah and is used in the same way.

Note that when charging bayonets there is really only time to pronounce a communal "-ZAH!" as the musket is snapped to the charge position. Could it be that the preparative "Charge your - bayon-ETTS!" served the same purpose as the "HOO!"?

At any rate, what ever the cry on the field of battle it was all part of that subtle and artfully contrived web of psychological warfare that was supposed to make the enemy remember that they had previous appointments to honor at locations far removed. It was, after all, cheaper to intimidate the enemy than to have to kill or maim him.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Master Fan

Re: Bet you wish you'd never asked now...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Idiot
according to the OED
Rory would be proud.

Thanks for the explanation. It was interesting.

Old 10-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Loyal Fan

Was it a dream?

Season 1.21 - Love, Daisies, and Troubadours

Lorelai wakes up to the sound of banging and pounding..
She goes to Rory's room but Rory is sleeping..
She wakes rory up they goes outsdie to find Luke fixing her porch rail.. Luke is wearing a PURPLE shirt.. HE has NEVER worn a purple shirt...

Lorelai yells at Luke then tries to get back in her house she locked herself out and yells for Rory to let her in.
Babette proceeds to tell lorelai to stop yelling, then Rory lets lorelai in and Luke is gone...
Maybe Lorelai was dreaming???
Old 10-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

If it was really a dream then it would only be fair that Luke would be wearing nothing at all.

Pam

Last edited by haddyboy2; 10-24-2004 at 03:00 PM
Old 10-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Actually Luke has worn a purple shirt before. In season 2's RALB:

opposites-are-polar.net

I just watched LDAT yesterday and I believe Luke was actually there fixing the porch rail because Lorelai mentions it to Rachel in a later scene.

Although I agree with Pam if it was a dream Luke would ideally be wearing nothing but his lovely smile!

---
My dear little librarian, pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:51 AM
New Fan

The room where legnds die

Hello to all.

I'm the translator for the Spanish-language edition of GG.

I'm unable to find any reference to "The room where legends die". I'm also unsure about the meaning.

This is from V-03, "Written in the stars". The dialogue (discussing "potty" vs. "bathroom") is as follows:

Rory: I'm two. I come up to you, and I say "Mommy, Mommy I have to go to...

Lorelai: "The room where legends die." (Quote marks from the as-broadcast script).

¿Where does it come from and what does it mean?

Thanks in advance.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread