Old 12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Master Fan

Gilmore Girls News Thread

All news and media goes here. Have fun!

Quote:
TV Guide

Those Glorious Girls
Romance fuels a creative comeback

Now in its fifth and possibly best season, Gilmore Girls takes great delight in sweeping us off our feet.

For Lorelai Gilmore, love with diner owner Luke, who cooks for her, means never having to go hungry again. "I think it's going very well, you and me," she purrs.

So is the show. After last season's awkward transition when daughter Rory left for Yale, Gilmore Girls has rebounded creatively and in the ratings. Always a quirky and clever charmer with great verbal dexterity and dizzying pop-culture references (you had to laugh when Lorelai recently asked Rory to "de-Mensa" something), Girls has blossomed into a delightful romantic comedy.

Lauren Graham and Scott Patterson have terrific chemistry as dithery Lorelai and dour Luke, and their relationship (a hot topic at a recent town meeting) provides the show's warm but never sticky emotional center.

Rory (Alexis Bledel) has had a rockier time of it, wrecking her ex-boyfriend Dean's marriage and then dumping him yet again for Yale. Now she's caught between Logan, a dashing rich brat who staged a mock fight over her in a classroom, and Marty, a nice dorm buddy who quietly pines for her.

Meanwhile, grandma Emily (the formidable Kelly Bishop) has separated from Richard (Edward Herrmann) and is proudly trying to make the best of a bad situation. (Like the rest of us, Rory and Lorelai are desperate for them to get back together.) When Emily put on a brave face during a dinner date with another man, breaking down in sobs afterward, the impact was devastating.

Stars Hollow has never been a more enjoyable place to visit. A reinvigorated Gilmore Girls is one of the happier surprises of a robust season.

Gilmore Girls airs Tuesdays at 8 pm on WB.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Passionate Fan

Thanks for starting the new thread, Alexis!

Great article by Matt! He definitely has good taste when it comes to tv!

The Golden Globes: On the one hand, it pisses me off that DH got three nominations. It ticks me off whenever any show seems to monopoloize a category. Honestly, I see no reason for it and sincerely hope the Emmy's don't do the same thing.

Now, that being said. I'm not that upset GG wasn't nominated. Before anyone starts heating the tar and plucking the feathers, I really don't have much respect for the Golden Globes anyway. I mean, these are the same people who gave a best actress award to Madonna, for crying out loud! While a nomination certainly would have been nice to see, the Foreign Press doesn't always strike me as having the best judgment.

"Normal people make a living. The deranged make history"-Chris Titus
Old 12-13-2004, 03:53 PM
Loyal Fan

GM I have to agree with you on the quality of the Golden Globe awards. They nominated Jaime Foxx. Three times. For pete's sake, the guy is not an "amazing actor" he's a relatively funny comedian, but that's about it, IMO. And while I loved the new Bridget Jones, I don't think RZ is one of the best comedy actresses of the year. Natalie Portman in "Garden State" anyone? How bout just giving "Garden State" a nod in ANY category! And 3 nominees from one show in the same category? Pshaw. I don't think of the Golden Globes as the "high quality" awards in any way. To me, they sort of cater to the lowest common denominator, what the uneducated masses want, in a sense.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Master Fan

It would have been nice if GG was nominated but honestly I didn't expect anything different than what happened *shrugs* I kind of outgrew the age when I'm mad about who did and did not get nominated. *lol* I've had eight years of it. That'so enough. It still would have been nice the cast and especially Lauren attend. Maybe they'll let her present at least. Than we would see her in a nice dress again.

RIP Gilmore Girls. RIP Veronica Mars.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Extreme Fan

I dont think it's fair that DH got so many nominations, but I knew it was going to happen. I just hope GG and Lauren Graham get the credit they deserve before the series ends.

Quote:
They nominated Jaime Foxx. Three times. For pete's sake, the guy is not an "amazing actor" he's a relatively funny comedian, but that's about it, IMO.

I have to disagree with you on that.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Master Fan

TV Gal Awards - Best in Show

Came in at no 4

4. "Gilmore Girls": My girls are back, baby, and better than ever. After a creative struggle last season, the series has rebounded with a flourish. The true sign of a strong show is when its success does not hinge on one story line. Therefore the series could place Luke and Lorelai together, give the people what they want, and still have plenty of drama and comedy to mine.

Now if only there were voters out there like TV Gal and Matt Roush *sigh*

Twitter: nlm78
Old 12-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by motylik20
It would have been nice if GG was nominated but honestly I didn't expect anything different than what happened *shrugs*
Same. I honestly don't care. I think awards shows are stupid and boring even when people I like are nominated/win. It would be nice if the show and its actors got more recognition but we're five years in. If it hasn't happened before now, it's not going to happen. They know that.

It's been nice to see that critics like Matt Roush and TV Gal, and especially fans (given the ratings numbers) like season 5 and think the show has improved.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks GM...you made me feel better re:the GG snub at the Golden Globes!
Old 12-14-2004, 03:29 AM
Master Fan

he he I like this article.

'Housewives' a comedy? Don't make me laugh!

Maybe what I'm really trying to stress is, it's time to alter the whole categorization structure when it comes to TV shows. We need a Best Television Series -- Non-Traditional grouping for nominees that would take into account shows that see themselves as none of the above. That would also open the door to such worthy and long-overlooked shows as the WB's "Gilmore Girls."

Old 12-14-2004, 04:18 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelicmaiden
Now, that being said. I'm not that upset GG wasn't nominated. Before anyone starts heating the tar and plucking the feathers, I really don't have much respect for the Golden Globes anyway. I mean, these are the same people who gave a best actress award to Madonna, for crying out loud! While a nomination certainly would have been nice to see, the Foreign Press doesn't always strike me as having the best judgment.
Yeah, it sucks that GG wasn't nominated. At this point, I don't expect any different. I also feel kinda sorry for that one Housewife that wasn't nominated.

But I gotta say, Madonna was awesome in Evita and deserved that award. Just sayin'

It's always a nice surprise to get a surprise nomination like the PCA's, but I don't expected anything out of the other award shows.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Extreme Fan

The signed script of SGTDM is available on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...060462093&rd=1
Watcher #43 ~ Vicious Trollop #3

Keeper of Samantha's goody closet

NBC executives: Go. To. Hell.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Master Fan

Okay now that is tempting *sigh*

Old 12-14-2004, 08:52 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by gossipcom
Okay now that is tempting *sigh*
I second that. I kept looking at the pic for a couple minutes, like I was hypnotized. *sighs*

RIP Gilmore Girls. RIP Veronica Mars.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Extreme Fan

I know... though I do wonder how come Ventimiglia is supposed to have signed a script for an episode he didn't even appear in?
Watcher #43 ~ Vicious Trollop #3

Keeper of Samantha's goody closet

NBC executives: Go. To. Hell.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Loyal Fan

I was wondering the same thing....and I totally want that...it's times like these when it's a good thing I'm not an e-bay shopper.

Cameron: "Men should grow up."
House: "Yeah, and dogs should stop licking themselves. It's not gonna happen."

Keeper of Luke Danes, and entitled to all things Dirty!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread