Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovetheshins
she doesn't seem the type to blatantly lie about her fitness regimen. Then again, she did blatantly lie about dating Milo.
Course she'd lie through her teeth. Quite correctly she doesnt think this (the general "this" of wanting to know the details of her life) is any of our business. Even if we do still want to know. Hell, if I was in her shoes I might be tempted just to make stuff up for laughs. Course that might get me in trouble. What happens if you pretend to be a John Tesh fan and the REAL John Tesh calls you on the telephone?

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovetheshins
Haha, yeah! We need to make a list of things we want to see Alexis/Rory do. Rapping, singing, Flashdance impressions... anything else?
You forgot breakdancing. If the host of whatever interview program she does next doesnt make her breakdance I'll be really angry.

And Rory needs to join the track team.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 11-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raja
Hell, if I was in her shoes I might be tempted just to make stuff up for laughs. Course that might get me in trouble. What happens if you pretend to be a John Tesh fan and the REAL John Tesh calls you on the telephone?
I've always wanted to be famous, solely for the ability to mess with interviewers' heads. Other than that, I'm quite happy with my own private life. Despite this insatiable curiosity we have for what she may choose to divulge, in the end, I do respect her privacy, since it's so important to me as well, and I'm not remotely famous in any way.
Quote:
You forgot breakdancing. If the host of whatever interview program she does next doesnt make her breakdance I'll be really angry.

Again, hehe! Xel, can that be an added category on the 1st post? How terrible would that be? So the running list for now: rapping, singing, Flashdance impressions, breakdancing, running track...
Old 11-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Elite Fan

Oh my god. Breakdancing would be too funny..now I am wishing it would happen. That or rapping.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Total Fan

Seeing her breakdance and rap would be fun..

Quote:
She sure does

Come and visit Milo Ventimiglia and Benjamin McKenzie
Old 11-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Elite Fan

Hee. I spent my morning watching old season 1 episodes on my DVD. I just watched "Star Crossed Lovers" - the one where Dean and Rory break up. Alexis looks so young in these episodes!!
Old 11-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by -Katie-
Interesting article thing. Thanks for posting it.
I love hearing about Alexis. I wonder if Lauren has ever said anything about her.
Yep, she has.

Quote:
We don't just show that we share the same music and the same clothes. We're friends, but I like when the show is exploring what the problems are with the relationship because that, to me, is what is most real. Clearly on screen and in real life, I love Alexis and she is wonderful.
Quote:
But I was thankful to have such a sweet, thoughtful young actor as my acting partner. I feel really proud of the progress she made this year. It was such a huge adjustment for her to come to Los Angeles. I just think the world of her.
Quote:
we have a great time, and I can't wait until she's old enough for margarita night.
And there's lots more. I was trying to find the interview with Lauren, Alexis, and Kelly, but I couldn't find it. That's one of my favorites.

All the quotes come from articles at Gilmore-Girls.net
Old 11-24-2004, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the quotes. Aw, I adore Lauren and her gushing over Alexis.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by banjojd
And there's lots more. I was trying to find the interview with Lauren, Alexis, and Kelly, but I couldn't find it. That's one of my favorites.
I'm posting it because it's the best.interview.ever.

Quote:
USA Today
The three Gilmore girls redefine family ties
by Robert Bianco
March 1, 2001

LOS ANGELES -- There's more than one survivor on Thursday nights. While most of the attention has been focused on the battle between NBC's Friends and CBS' Survivor, WB's endearing family drama Gilmore Girls has been holding its own, albeit by WB's lower viewership standards. While its 3.7 million viewers may not sound like much, the show has boosted ratings in its time period enough among younger viewers to have WB call it "a long-term asset."

More people will soon get a chance to discover that asset. Starting next week, WB will "double-pump" the show, airing originals on Thursday and repeats on Monday after 7th Heaven. The show also will get a promotional boost if star Lauren Graham wins a Screen Actors Guild award March 11.

Yet despite the show of support from the network, Gilmore Girls remains something of a WB anomaly. On a network that normally focuses on teens, Gilmore Girls spreads the attention across three generations: 32-year-old single mother Lorelai Gilmore; her bright, loving 16-year-old daughter, Rory; and Lorelai's controlling mother, Emily.

Estranged from her rich parents since her teenage pregnancy, Lorelai has raised Rory on her own. But when Rory gets accepted by an exclusive prep school, Lorelai turns to her mother and father (Edward Herrmann) for help.

She gets it, with one condition: a weekly dinner, so Emily can get to know Rory. And so begins TV's most intriguing three-way relationship, as mothers and daughters learn more about each other and themselves than they expected. The actresses in these roles couldn't have more different backgrounds. Graham (Lorelai) is a veteran of three consecutive short-lived sitcoms: Townies, Conrad Bloom and MYOB. Alexis Bledel (Rory) is a first-year college student making her professional acting debut. And Kelly Bishop (Emily) is an accomplished New York theater actress who won a Tony for A Chorus Line.

It's always a mistake to confuse actors with their characters. Still, at a recent lunch on the Warner Bros. lot, where Gilmore Girls is shot, the three women do seem to share a rapport that mirrors what you see on TV -- with one significant alteration. Graham is adorable and funny; Bledel is smart, reserved and remarkably self-possessed. The exception is Bishop, who shares Emily's maternal instincts but is far warmer than the prickly character she portrays.

Q: Do people tell you they see their mother or their daughter in the roles you play?

Bishop: Absolutely. I've had so many people say, "You're just like my mother," to which I say "Sorry." And a few men say, "You're just like my wife." Then I just keep my mouth shut.

Graham: A friend's mother told us she got in a fight with her daughter and in frustration said, "Why can't we just have witty banter like Rory and Lorelai?" It's a model, in a way, for how you wish you could talk to your kid. And for kids, it's the kind of friendship you wish you had with a parent.

Q: What is it like to be the perfect child?

Bledel: Everyone in town had a part in raising her, so they see her as the perfect kid, but I don't think she's perfect by any means. She has no clue what she's doing in so many situations. She's just different than the typical example of teenagers you see on television.

Q: In many ways, it isn't a typical WB show, either, in part because the adults are as important as the teenagers.

Graham: It's truly multigenerational. Most of our guest stars are over 40. It isn't a regular WB show, and that was everybody's intention, and that's what makes it in the best sense a family show -- which doesn't mean that it's dumb or embarrassing.

Bledel: Or cheesy, 'cause it's not.

Graham: My father said, "This is the first show I'm not just watching because you're in it."

Q: Sometimes actors who play parents on TV fall into parental patterns with the actors playing their children. Does that ever happen on Gilmore Girls?

Bishop: When we work together, I feel very much like equals. This is my hero here (motioning to Graham); she's one of the most incredible professional actors I've ever worked with. And I love this one (motioning to Bledel), because she's so good, and she's so smart, and picks it up so fast and so naturally. But I do find when I'm away from the set, I refer to them as my girls. ... When I step back from it, I kind of assume that protective, matriarchal role, since I don't have that in my real life.

Graham: Because Alexis is new to this business, I try to be respectful of what this process is for her and not intrude on what that is. If she has a question, I'm glad to answer it, but Alexis and I are even closer in age than we play, so I feel friendship, and I think that's right for the character.

Q: Do you ever feel like Emily's daughter?

Graham: Oh, yeah. It feels familiar, but I don't know where it's coming from. There was no one in my life that had the kind of rigidity Emily has. But somewhere in me, I know the experience of being nagged.

Q: And Alexis, do people on the set mother you?

Bledel: Oh, yeah.

Graham: She has it bad.

Bledel: All the time. The whole crew. They're always thinking that I can't do things for myself.

Graham: I feel responsible for that, because as a joke, I refer to her as "The Kid."

Bledel: (sighs) "The Kid."

Graham: And I think that's become a fun thing to call her.

Bishop: They also use "Mama G" for me. You're "Baby G." Ed (Herrmann) is "Papa G." And what's Lorelai? She's "Hot G." (They laugh.)

Q: Is it ever annoying to have all these people treat you like you need to be protected?

Bledel: To tell you the truth, it's not that bad. If people want to take care of you, what are you going to do, turn them down? Sometimes I think, you know, I'm actually 19. But I have the rest of my life to be an adult. It's kind of like holding on to my childhood for a couple of years. It's going to end anyway, so why rush it?

Q: Lauren, after three failures, did you have any concerns about doing another series?

Graham: The experience was disappointing, one after the other, but I feel really fortunate to have had each and every one, because it puts me in a much different mindset for having something be successful. I feel like I've worked my way in the company, instead of getting a big promotion before I knew how the machines work.

Bishop: Well, you handle it so well. She really, really deserves it. I think back to after Chorus Line, when we were just all the rage. And yeah, if I'd sat out here, I probably would have had a series, but would I have handled it well? I was like 32 when that happened, and I don't think I would have been so gracious and grateful if I had gotten a regular part in a series. I'm very professional, but I don't think I would have appreciated how special doing a good show is.

Q: Can you imagine being a TV star at 19?

Graham: It's so tough. Who wants to work 14 hours a day? Nobody wants to do that, let alone when you're 19. I don't know what I was doing then. I think I was a camp counselor, and that was hard work, let me tell you.

Q: Alexis, what do you think?

Bledel: It doesn't register at all. I don't really have an objective perspective of how it affects people. I can't explain so many things that happen in my life. Things just happen and you go with it, and it's great most of the time. And sometimes it's not.

Q: Had you ever seen any of your co-stars' work?

Bledel: I saw MYOB last summer.

Graham: I never thought of that. I just assumed nobody ever saw anything ever.

Q: Anything by Kelly?

Bledel: One of my roommates in college, her favorite movie was Dirty Dancing. (Bishop played Jennifer Grey's mother.) I didn't make that connection for a long time, then it finally clicked. I showed the pilot to my roommate, and she was like, "Oh my God!" She was completely freaking out.

Graham: I've seen Dirty Dancing. "Nobody puts Baby in a box."

Bledel: In a corner! It's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner." Come on.

Graham: I must be confusing it with another Patrick Swayze movie. But I knew Chorus Line, and I was thrilled about that. It's still very meaningful out here when an agent says by way of description, "She's a real New York theater actress." That's what I wanted to be, and that carries a lot of weight with me.

Bishop: You are, actually.

Q: Alexis, since this is your first role, was it hard to master things like camera technique?

Bledel: I'm not a master, by any means. ... I was in the film school, so I was conscious of cameras and what I liked in an actor and what I didn't like.

Bishop: She is truly a natural actress. She and the camera understand each other so completely. It just happens every once in a while, the camera and Alexis come together, and they love each other. It's quite amazing to me.

Bledel: Thank you.

As lunch ends, the three women turn their attention to a plate of cookies. Graham examines one, but it has too many nuts.

Graham: I'm putting this one back. Does anybody care?

Bledel: I'll try it.

Bishop: It's a family. It's truly a family.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Addicted Fan

Xel, thank you so much for bringing that over!
That was one of the best interviews ever. They all sound relaxed (well, Lauren and Alexis sound more relaxed than their usual nervous and shy respective selves). There are so many bits that I love to this article.
Quote:
Bledel: Or cheesy, 'cause it's not.
Ouch. Alexis assumes family shows are cheesy and is quickly defensive of GG. Hee. She's got an edge, that girl, I'm absolutely convinced. She just doesn't look it and she has yet to play it. But if you pay attention to little things she says (or actually, some interviews paint her as much more worldly and jaded, but still nice), you can see her sarcastic and wry nature, all the while being a sincere sweetheart.
Quote:
Bledel: (sighs) "The Kid."
Ha, I wonder if she still gets that treatment now, 5 years and one legal drinking age later.
Quote:
Graham: I've seen Dirty Dancing. "Nobody puts Baby in a box."

Bledel: In a corner! It's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner." Come on.
Everyone is dating themselves here. I imagine this to sound so much like Rory's recent berating of Lorelai after Emily announces her dating plans, followed with the "I can't hate the pathetic." Hee! The "come on" is classic Alexis, as I envision it.

Robert Bianco always speaks of GG (and in particular Alexis, actually) in glowing terms. I'll include them in a later post.

Again, thanks so much Xel to reminding me of this interview! It was great!!

ETA: Alexis is ahead of Hilarie Burton by 10 votes on the new requests board. How board-nazi would I sound in saying that I am not seeing anywhere close to half those who voted for Alexis over here at this thread? How do we encourage participation? I would really hate to get a new board, only to have it shut down.

Last edited by ilovetheshins; 11-24-2004 at 07:02 PM
Old 11-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for posting the interview, Alexis. I just love that one. I was in a hurry earlier and couldn't find it, but I knew someone would know where it was. I'd love it if they would do an interview like that again. I don't count the ABC Family thing 'cause when I say 'interview' I assume there has to be a real interviewer involved.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the interview. Definatly one of my favorites.

A freakish thing about it..I did the same thing Lauren did with "Dirty Dancing"..I didn't know which movie it was so I said "Isn't that the one where they say nobody puts baby in the box?" - it sounds so natural to me. And yes, my friends won't let me live it down.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:18 PM
New Fan

Great article! They all sound very, very comfortable with each other which is nice. Alexis...she is hilarious. That "Dirty Dancing" part is too funny. Oh, the cookie part at the end was cute, too

Literati
Old 11-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
What happens if you pretend to be a John Tesh fan and the REAL John Tesh calls you on the telephone?
What if Alexis is lying about Dolly?!

I don't have time a lot of time for a whole new board, which is why I prefer just having everything in this one thread, but it seems like when a board opens, some people who weren't posting on the existing thread find their way there.

Old 11-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jennarose

I don't have time a lot of time for a whole new board, which is why I prefer just having everything in this one thread, but it seems like when a board opens, some people who weren't posting on the existing thread find their way there.
Yeah, we don't know if she was lying. I'm going to assume she wasn't, since there was no leg to pull. This girl, who knows what to believe anymore! Just kidding. I think that family and relationships are the only subjects that have been off limits with her. Everything else, she has been rather game about.

As for a new board, I agree. I kind of hope Hilary Burton beats out Alexis, because I'm not seeing the pace and volume of traffic that I would hope for in a whole new board. This thread is definitely a starting place. Now, unles all the Rory-related threads (Lits, Rory/Logan, Trories, Narcs, Lorelai/Rory, unappreciation) get moved over (which seems silly, since they are GG-relate), it's hard to imagine having enough threads to sustain a board. I'm still a firm believer in getting this thread going more, but that requires more participation from everyone, and new poster and de-lurkers. Slowly but surely, we're already getting this thread moving faster than a few months ago, I would say.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Hah. I think for the reason I gave above she wouldnt do that. Just imagine how low you'd feel if Dolly called you up on the telephone being all nice to you.

That's one of the downsides of being a celebrity. Other celebs stop being anonymous. Like when Vanity Fair ask her that stupid question whether she prefered Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera. She answered Alicia Keys. If she had given a snippy reason why she chose none of the above, it's possible they might've responded back.

It's nice to be able say Britney is a talentless has-been and not have to worry that Britney isnt going to yell at you.

I remember when they asked her the "Maxim" question back during first season. (Tried searching for the actual question and answer but I can only find the abridged Fashion Wire Daily version, so going by memory). It was a loaded question and a bit silly since it made no sense to since she was just starting on the show and was trying at that point to establish the image of her wholesome character rather than "break out" from it. They asked whether she had immediate plans to flaunt herself half-naked on magazine covers the way Jessica Biel and Alyssa Milano have.

She answered in her typical manner. Which is to initially agrees with whatever point the questioner is making. And then explain it in a manner which renders that answer ambiguous enough that she doesnt get herself in any trouble. She rather artifully gave the emphatic no that the questioner wanted while at the same giving herself enough wiggle room that she conceivably could be on the cover next month and not look like a hyprocrite. The girl would make a great diplomat.

But Alexis did fall into the trap of the questioner when she said "I am not Jessica Biel." Realizing that came out too harshly she immediately backtracked and waxed poet about how wonderful she is and what a great fan she is of her.

Understandable since it is a WB colleague and quite smartly she doesnt want to offend. But it must be weird to have to consider everyone you hear or see on radio or television a colleague with everything you hear or see their work. Or see on the cover of a magazine a "colleague" and have to walk on eggshells in how you talk about them in public.

But on the bright side Dolly Parton might return your phone calls.

Quote:
Agreed. Voting for an actor/actress board seems to make less sense than voting for a board for a show. I voted for Jared on the male actor thing. Why? Dunno. Maybe I felt guilty for bashing his character so much. But if he did get a board, I'd never post there.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Closed Thread   Post New Thread