Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by AvidTVfan
Who wrote this again?
James Berg & Stan Zimmerman

I thought the episode was so so, but then I watched it all the way through a second time and enjoyed it very much. Rory's scenes weren't exciting, but I didn't hate her, and I find it so interesting that she knows the Gilmore women aren't the best decision makers (ie. destructively impulsive) when it comes to relationships. She can see it in Lorelai but not herself. I even liked she and Dean's conversation minus the vomit inducing sex comment. Paris was MVP IMO, hysterical one liners and impeccable delivery. Luke and Lorelai scenes were top notch if too short. Again, always the case. Logan is so growing on me especially with his reporter mockage, but does anyone else think he reads his lines exactly like CMM did as Tristan? Sookie cracked me up when she went ballistic on Norman Mailer, who by the way reminded me of Yoda every time I saw him. Kirk even made me laugh. These two new writers know the difference between quirky and over the top quirky. They could teach Dan a thing or two about a thing or two.

I feel so sorry for GiGi, the only reason Sherry had her was because she thought Chris was going to be involved this time around and surprise surprise he hasn't been for the last 2 years, so Sherry skipped out. Maybe she'll return when Gigi's got the legs to dance. In the meantime, I'm on the same boat Chris is - Lorelai, aren't you tired of being Chris' cheerleader? This can only lead to bad things. Lucky for me, I enjoy the drama he brings even if I don't like him, and you can tell Lauren likes doing her scenes with David.

Last edited by A. B. Normal; 10-27-2004 at 10:33 PM
A. B. Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
and you can tell Lauren likes doing her scenes with David.
Mmhmm. "David Sutcliffe's back...and he's...excellent" (paraphrasing here) I think LG and DS play well off each other, but not better than LG and SP do. Cough biased cough.

Agreed, the one good thing about Chris being back is that he brings drama with him. But he also reduces Lorelai to a teenager again. Sigh. Seems she's never going to let go of that torch, huh?

"That was one Halloween, Christopher". Loved LG's delivery of that line. Also, Paris's delivery of "They fit perfectly" or something, about the flipflops.

RORY: What'd I miss?
EMILY: I was just admiring your mother's life.
RORY: Oh, I do that daily.
* Kay * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by * Kay *
I think LG and DS play well off each other, but not better than LG and SP do. Cough biased cough.
*cough*couldnotagreemore*cough*

Lorelai sounds happy [with Luke]. Huzzah!
A. B. Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Supreme Fan

I don't see why some people think Lorelai's a "horrible girlfriend" for laughing at Luke in pain. Hello, people getting hurt can be hilarious. Wouldn't you laugh if someone you knew hit their head on the top of an oven? I thought it was hilarious when Luke did, and the noise he made after? SP rocked that scene. A comment from Lorelai about Luke's hot butt would have been funny to insert there.

Luke's "hey back" to Lorelai when he picked her up in the teaser was So. Freaking. Hot. The sexy tone, with the lean in for the kiss, combined with the hot haircut and jacket, oh my god. </lusty fangirl>

On another note, I found it extremely out of character for Emily to be missing from Friday night dinner. I would have loved to see the girls eating pizza on the living room floor instead of those boring Norman Mailer scenes. He's adorable, god bless him, but there was no point to his role in the episode and I found him and his son boring. Maybe I'm mean for saying that, but, I did.

The promo for next week has me thinking that I'm probably going to be FF'ing a lot of next week's scenes. I felt like I was watching a promo for Charmed. Although, Alexis in that dress? Gorgeous. Matt didn't look too bad in that tux, either.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Master Fan

I don't think this was answered. Dean was wearing a cowboy hat as part of Taylor's appeal to truckers promotion. There was a rack of similar hats near him while he was on the phone with Rory. That's probably where Lorelai got hers.

I liked the episode but I agree with the person who said on page 1 that the episode was missing something. I know ASP was proud of getting Norman Mailer but that bit was a waste of time that would have been better spent on something that matters.

It sounds like Chris has been as good a father to Gigi as he was to Rory, what with being gone for most of the last two years. Good going, Chris. You would think he would have learned after seeing how much of Rory's life he missed. I was surprised at how quickly Lorelai went to help him, and without him really asking her to go to Boston. Since he does have a nanny, he shouldn't need any more help from her, right? Just tell the nanny to answer her pager from now on.

I liked that this episode was used to set up next week's with the secret society storyline. It looks interesting and I like Logan a lot. I would be happy to see the secret society story not be resolved next week and continue for a few more episodes.

It looks like there's not going to be an episode on 11/23. There was a promo for an American Girl movie than night. I wonder if the 16th will be our last episode until January or if they will be back on 11/30.

jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jennarose
I don't think this was answered. Dean was wearing a cowboy hat as part of Taylor's appeal to truckers promotion. There was a rack of similar hats near him while he was on the phone with Rory. That's probably where Lorelai got hers.
Exactly! Thank you! Everyone was like, "why are Lorelai and Dean wearing the same hat"?

I thought we were getting an episode on the 30th? Aw, man, the 16th's too early to go on hiatus!

Old 10-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

".... Norman Mailer, who by the way reminded me of Yoda every time I saw him."~~~~Alexis

Now that must be the funniest one liner of the whole show...and YOU wrote it here...I can so see Lorelai saying, "You know, Norman Mailer is cool, but he does remind me of Yoda, maybe it's his voice?"

Thanks for posting that Alexis! lol

Oh, and ita, SP has been in verrrryyy good voice all his L/L moments.
nancyvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by * Kay *
I thought we were getting an episode on the 30th? Aw, man, the 16th's too early to go on hiatus!
We still might. Supposedly OTH is new that night so maybe we'll get a new one too.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Banned

I'm only having one question.

How the hell could Lorelais oven get broken? She once said they never uses it. Those things doesn't break just b/c of drying your socks in them!
I only remember it being used 3 times. One time by Max. One time by Luke and one time by Lorelai with the socks...
Squeegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Master Fan

lol the way Lorelai smashes things in her house, it wouldn't surprise me she'd break an oven That being said you never know it probably wasn't the first time she's toasted her socks

Quote:
It looks like there's not going to be an episode on 11/23. There was a promo for an American Girl movie than night. I wonder if the 16th will be our last episode until January or if they will be back on 11/30.
I've been wondering the same thing - if it doesn't come back on 30 November (which is the 2nd last day of Sweeps I think) then we'll either get a Christmas ep or a very long pre-emption till January.

So either way I think it'll cause a lot of speculation to arise during that period.

So I don't want to repeat what others have said above so I'll just put these little points:

I'm a L&L fan, but I had not qualms about Christopher's appearance - didn't unsettle me at all - the one thing this show is blessed is with good chemistry with the leads - Lauren's chemistry with both Scott and David should be bottled

Sookie finding out she was pregnant was typical Sookie.

The funniest thing for me which was a split second thing was in the teaser when Lorelai mentioned the Mothman Prophecies and she's taken aback when Luke says he's seen it - see Luke has seen a movie without Lorelai.

ETA: Lorelai and the socks in the oven - absolutely priceless

Twitter: nlm78
Nadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by gossipcom
I've been wondering the same thing - if it doesn't come back on 30 November (which is the 2nd last day of Sweeps I think) then we'll either get a Christmas ep or a very long pre-emption till January.
Last year we went from 11/18 to 1/20 without a new episode, so it is possible.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Loyal Fan

Hey all

Okay, my thoughts on the episode (which I thought was *great* by the way).

First of all: This was the first time in *ages* that I loved Rory's story in an episode. I thought Alexis was great! And, much of it has to do with her chemisty with Matt C. Seriously, I have never been this excited about a potential pairing for Rory. They play off each other very well. And, I like that Logan brings out Feisty!Rory. And, thank the Lord for that! *Loving* that Logan is somehow involved at the paper. I think the Yale newsroom has the potential to be the backdrop for some interesting Rory-centric storylines.

Also, I feel like ASP has spies on this board or something! lol... Because all summer long, a bunch of us were complaining that it didn't make sense for Rory to jet off to Europe when she should be pursuing an internship or something. And, Lo and Behold! That subject comes up! Yay!

Still on the subject of Rory... Loved her conversation with Christopher. I think more than anything, she wants to protect her mother from heartache.

Secondly: The return of Christopher was somthing that I (a proud JavaJunkie) was actually looking forward to. And, this episode just proved why. Chris being back is such a good thing, IMO. It is just going to be a catalyst for Lorelai to move on from the past, and leap into the future. The L/L relationship can't go perfectly... it would be boring that way. They'll be together ultimately. But, until then, having Chris in the mix can't be anything but interesting. I, for one, am excited to see how it all plays out.

Third: The L/L scenes were too short. As usual. But, I think we'll get more in the weeks ahead. Patience grasshoppers.

Overall, I really liked the episode because it was so Lorelai/Rory centric. And, it's good to have a few episodes like that. The show is still the "Gilmore Girls" afterall. The less filler the better. If nothing else, I liked the episode for giving Rory some character development - which had been sorely lacking.

Hannah

LUKE: You're an amazing woman.
LORELAI: Thank you for noticing.

Fanfiction Entries
gilmoregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
For some reason I found that so hilarious. I still do. Watching the episode for a second time I noticed the big hat display next to the icy machine.... and now Dosey's market is open 24 hours. I just love how this episode revolved around our girls; not over powering us with too much town quirkiness, and yet the hat thing, for me, was a subtle way of showing an under current or back drop of quirkiness... the Townies live!
hollowpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Extreme Fan

5.06 - "Norman Mailer, I'm Pregnant" - Video Clips

Links to clips updated on page 2.

Jim
Old 10-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

I love the theories on why Luke and Lorelai are interacting as platonically as they are and I think that playing those theories out would make for a beautiful love story. It makes sense that these two independent people wouldn't be able to just fall into eachothers' arms without a bit of work and stumbling, and I'm sure Christopher will help with that. In order to show that it was always meant to be L/L we can't have Chris in the back of anyone's mind as a could have been.

Quote:
I liked what Rory said to Chris on principle BUT I find it a tad hypocritical regarding her recent behavior....Didn't she just break up a marriage? But oh, she's keeping Dean happy with sex. Gag me. Seriously.
I actually think this reflects that Rory has figured out, on some level, just how wrong her situation is and she wouldn't wish it on anyone, especially her mother.

I think she just doesn't know how to get out of it. Everything she has with Dean is based in the past. Last week's double date showed that they're trying to recreate a safe situation that doesn't exist anymore, and that's not going to work.

In her letter to him, she told him she was going to back off because he was married. She doesn't even suggest he should leave Lindsay. She doesn't want an affair. Mentally and emotionally she didn't even want to sleep with him that second time. She wanted to talk and get things straight. It was a mistake and she knows it.

She doesn't love him. She kept saying she did but it was a recitation "I love him and he loves me." If you (and many people are) were someone who saw sex as something special to be shared with someone you love, would you want to believe you'd just done what she did...slept with a married guy whom she'd already stopped loving about two years before?

I think she feels guilty. She's helped break up a marriage and she sees it as her job to be with him now that she's "gotten what she wanted." (I'm sure Lindsay's mother's words echo regularly). He certainly didn't help assuage that guilt when he basically took it out on her, putting her down and referring to himself as having destroyed his marriage because of her (um he was there too). She seems about as into this relationship as Lorelai was with Max... and I wonder if the sex is the only thing that's keeping her there. It sounds as though she enjoys his company physically, and that's a new and interesting thing...and that that's all they have besides a whole lot of memories of a safer and easier time.
Reply   Post New Thread