Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

Shiri Appleby News and Appearances Thread #12

News on "The Killing Floor"

Everything connects

A young filmmaker proves that hard works pays off

By MICHAEL GILTZ

Director Gideon Raff has been a best-selling author in his home country of Israel, a columnist for that country's largest newspaper and a paratrooper in the military. But the most important job he ever got was as an intern.

That's how it works in Hollywood.

"You have to start from the bottom," says Raff, 33, whose first feature, "The Killing Floor," is touring the festival circuit and is already sold in 20 countries. "You've got to work hard and impress the right people."

Clearly, Raff did, even though he insists jokingly he's "the worst schmoozer ever." Studying at the American Film Institute in L.A., Raff was able to impress Avi Arad, the former Marvel executive who's been a force behind top comic-book film franchises like "X-Men" and "Spider-Man." Arad loved Raff's short film "The Babysitter" - starring "7th Heaven" regular Jeremy Lelliott - and kept Raff on his radar.

Then Raff took that crucial internship at the film production company New Regency. That company got involved in the massive blockbuster "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and before he knew it, Raff was an assistant to director Doug Liman ("Swingers," "Go," "The Bourne Identity") and running interference for "Smith" stars Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as the media swarmed around word of their burgeoning relationship.

"What they do is they send you out with a flashlight and you point at the papparazzi's cameras to block their view," explains Raff, who says you can't appreciate the intensity of the media glare until you see it up close. "At a certain point, it became crazy because of the rumors."

Raff got to film Pitt for a video for the Make-A-Wish foundation, and Liman - knowing he was a writer and aspiring filmmaker - kept asking to see what Raff was working on. The result? "The Killing Floor," Raff's first feature, has two major blue-chip executive producers in Liman and Arad.

A Hitchcock-flavored thriller about a publishing executive who specializes in horror writers, "The Killing Floor" finds the cocky, conceited hero (Marc Blucas of "The Alamo" and TV's "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") suddenly targeted by someone just as diabolical as the villains he's been bringing to life for years.

"It's right on the border between a psychological thriller and a horror film," says Raff. "There's a little gore. The movies I like the most are ... scary, but there's a human story being told."

Shot on location in New York in 25 days, Raff got no sleep during production but says the most nerve-wracking moment was when his major Hollywood producer, Liman, visited the set.
Raff speaks admiringly of top Israeli filmmakers like Amos Gitai and Eytan Fox, but for a kid whose first movie memory is of a James Bond movie, nothing beats Hollywood.

"I want to make Israeli films, I do," says Raff, who was born and raised in Jerusalem and lived for a while in Tel Aviv before coming to the U.S. "But my interests and sensibilities are definitely Hollywood. I wanted to be here for my studies and the first years of my career. I feel very privileged to be here."

New York Daily News - Movies - Everything connects
Old 12-18-2006, 10:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread and the new TKF information!

The beautiful, Shiri Appleby.
Icon - evangelin
Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Leigh (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread and the new TKF information!

Ditto.

4/29/06 was the greatest day of my life and one that I will never forget. Thank you Shiri.

You're adorkable!! - Hell on Heels
Old 12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LullabyEvans (View Post)

""The Killing Floor," is touring the festival circuit"
Any news as to which film festivals?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I really hope it makes the Tribeca Film Festival in NYC that would be amazing!

OMG Carol you are so sweet! I just got your Christmas gift! Thank you SO Much! I LOVE it!

In case you are wondering got Shiri's movie Everything You Want on DVD and the TV Guide with some of the Heroes cast Adrian,Ali, and Milo on the cover!

Hope all is well
Love,
Erin
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNeh (View Post)
Any news as to which film festivals?
I have been googling it all day trying to find out where but came out empty hopefully more updates will come soon
[Edward & Bella] [Rob & Kristen] [Tyler & Ally] [Max & Liz] [Nathan & Haley] [Sawyer & Kate]
Old 12-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer 4 Ever (View Post)
I have been googling it all day trying to find out where but came out empty hopefully more updates will come soon
I have been doing the same thing but also came up empty. However I did run across this site that had an old Q&A Shiri did years ago. This Q&A is like a trip down Roswell memory lane. Shiri Appleby: ZoomInfo Business People Information

Shiri Appleby on AOL Live! Antarians.com: Actors > Interviews > Shiri Appleby
Shiri Appleby on AOL Live!
Shiri chatted and answered member questions about the show, Liz, Max and the rest of the cast. See what she had to say below!

TV Guide Online: Tonight we are chatting live with Shiri Appleby from 'Roswell.' Welcome, Shiri! Thanks for joining us.

Shiri Appleby: Hello! How are you?

Question: How did you feel about the premiere of 'Roswell'?

Shiri Appleby: I really liked the episode, and I think it went over pretty well.

Question: Do you like the new direction that 'Roswell' is going in?

Shiri Appleby: I like the show.
Shiri Appleby: She truly believes that Max is her soulmate.

Question: What are the differences between UPN and The WB? What do you like better or worse?

Shiri Appleby: I'm really happy to be on the UPN.
Shiri Appleby: Well, yes, the fans took out an ad. I was incredibly touched and shocked. It made me feel very wonderful and appreciated. But no, The WB did not give me a gift.

Question: Shiri, you are an amazing actress, and I just wanted to know what your favorite episode was and which season you thought was the best.

Shiri Appleby: The pilot was my favorite episode.
Shiri Appleby: I made that movie a year ago from this summer. I loved playing the part of Sam, because she was so different from the Liz Parker character.
Shiri Appleby: I read.
Shiri Appleby: Well, she's finally becoming the rebellious teenager. And I think she's becoming much more comfortable with herself, now that she and Max are together.

Question: Favorite snack food?

Shiri Appleby: Mint chocolate chip ice cream from Baskin Robbins. Not exactly a snack food, but ...

Question: Shiri, can you give us any hints about whether [any] characters will be leaving the show, like regulars Alex and Tess last year?

Shiri Appleby: No. No one's planning on leaving, as far as I know.

Question: Are you still studying anything at USC? Will you be going back in the future?

Shiri Appleby: I'm on a leave of absence right now, but I plan to continue my education.

Question: How far into the filming of this season are you?

Shiri Appleby: We're at, I think, Episode 7.

Question: Hi, Shiri, love the show! If you weren't involved in acting, what career would you choose?

Shiri Appleby: I would love to go back to school and get a degree in either English, psychology or law. I don't think there's any plan, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Question: I have been to Covina over the summer -- do you guys still film there? I know you took the crash-down sign, but do you still film around the town?

Shiri Appleby: Yes.

Question: Do you have an official Web site? If not, are you in the process of making one?

Shiri Appleby: I don't have one, and I'm not in the process of making one. But it's not a bad idea.

Question: Hope you are having a great day. I was just wondering, who are some people you looked up to in your career or life in general?

Shiri Appleby: Well, I always admired Lucille Ball for being a strong woman and really taking charge and making the entertainment world more accessible to women.
Shiri Appleby: Not that I know of.

Question: Can you give us a hint about tonight's show?

Shiri Appleby: Tonight's show is about Michael making new friends, and Liz and Max going on an adventure.

Question: What's next for you, careerwise?

Shiri Appleby: I made a movie this summer called 'Swim Fan '85' that should be coming out soon.
Shiri Appleby: I would like for all of them to go back to the alien world and check it out, see exactly what was happening up there, so that they could relax here on Earth.

Question: What actor or actress would you really like to work with in the future?

Shiri Appleby: John Cusack.
Shiri Appleby: I don't think there are any plans for that right now.

Question: What is your favorite part of acting?

Shiri Appleby: The challenge to keep it interesting.

Question: Will there be any more danger, as in FBI agents, for the characters to be looking out for?

Shiri Appleby: We come across some more bad aliens.

Question: Will we ever see the aliens in their natural form?

Shiri Appleby: I don't know. I think that this is their natural form, but I'm not sure.

Question: What kind of music do you like?

Shiri Appleby: Right now I'm listening to Pete Yorn and Dashboard Confessional and Ben Harper and Incubus!
Shiri Appleby: That if they're going to be getting into it, they should be doing it for themselves. They need to accept that when they go to auditions, that they aren't being rejected for being them; the people are just looking for something else. And you have to believe in yourself, because if you don't, no one else will.

Question: Do you ever want to do other things in the entertainment biz like direct, write or produce?

Shiri Appleby: I would love to produce. I would love to do all three.

Question: Shiri, do you think of your self as a role model? And if so, do you feel pressured about it?

Shiri Appleby: I don't feel that I'm a role model, but I do know that in some way I'm in the public eye. So I just try to make smart choices, but I don't put any more pressure on myself than if I were in any other job.

Question: How do you manage to keep yourself grounded when everyone seems to want a piece of you or some of your time?

Shiri Appleby: Well, it's not hard to decide who wants to hang out with you for what reason. It's very easy to see through any facade. I have a really good group of people around me that I trust.

TV Guide Online: Thanks, Shiri! Looking forward to tonight's ep! Please come back and talk with us again soon.

Shiri Appleby: Thanks for talking with me today.

4/29/06 was the greatest day of my life and one that I will never forget. Thank you Shiri.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Extreme Fan

Found this blog, I underlined the relevant parts. If this is true, WOO-HOO!!!

Quote:
random musings about tv, film, music, and life
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Not Right Here Right Now (Forecasting Your TV Series)

Thanks to Caroline for forwarding me this article from Broadcasting & Cable magazine about what the U.S. cable networks have in development or are looking for these days. This is the kind of info you should be reading today if you are thinking about developing a tv series. What's on tv right now is important, but what will be on a year or two from now is much more important. Why?

Because nothing hits the air the minute after you come up with or even sell the idea.

Read and get up to speed. More after the jump as the cool blogs say.
Quote:
A WEALTH OF OPTIONS
By Anne Becker -- Broadcasting & Cable, 12/11/2006

In 2006, cable continued to solidify its reputation as a place for “edgier fare” and a nurturing environment for originals, an antidote to broadcast TV, where expensive laggards are quickly shuffled off to hiatus.

As the cable networks move into 2007 and look to build on breakout successes, star talent and interesting options abound, along with some hard decisions about what to greenlight.

“A couple of years ago, we had to convince people cable was a viable place to bring a series,” says Michael Wright, senior VP, original programming, for TNT/TBS. “In some ways, cable is a better place. We make an earnest effort to really support a show and give talent an environment where they want to work and play.”

Top female leads appear to be the most courted set for strong roles in the coming year. TNT is working on Grace, a pilot with Holly Hunter as an Oklahoma City detective whose sister was killed in the 1995 bombing; and Lifetime has ensemble drama Army Wives slated for March, starring Kim Delaney and Catherine Bell.

Next summer, USA will run limited series The Starter Wife, with Debra Messing, and could greenlight To Love and Die in L.A., a pilot with Shiri Appleby as a woman who discovers her father is a contract killer. And FX in January offers the new Courtney Cox gossip-mag drama Dirt; also in development is a pilot with Glenn Close as a New York litigator who mentors a younger lawyer.

“It's amazing to me, given where we were a few years ago: We can now field a group of talent that could rival any [broadcast] network in television,” says FX Network President John Landgraf. The network has also set a first-quarter premiere for The Riches, a drama starring Minnie Driver and Eddie Izzard as a married pair of con artists.

The pay-cable networks will, as usual, lead the 2007 charge into boundary-pushing fare. HBO is working on David Milch's dark surf series John From Cincinnati and Gavin Polone's adult-themed relationship drama Tell Me You Love Me.

Meanwhile, Showtime is developing Darren Starr's Manchild, addiction-focused Insatiable, and David Duchovny's producer/star effort Californication, about a women-obsessed, self-destructive writer.

With the bigger entertainment networks having tested the waters for several seasons, 2007 will bring original scripted shows from new players. In the summer, AMC will debut its first original drama series, 1960s-set advertising drama Mad Men. The channel is also set to play way against type with Breaking Bad, a pilot about a terminally ill teacher who deals meth to support his family.

As A&E debuts its pricey acquired version of The Sopranos in January, it's seeking both a limited series and an original drama for 2008. Executives are looking at several self-contained choices as companions for both Sopranos and CSI: Miami.

Says A&E Executive VP/General Manager Bob DeBitetto, “A light musical dramedy romp is not a format we're going to be doing.”

Other networks are content to keep things lighter. Bonnie Hammer, president of USA and Sci Fi Channel, says USA will be doing just that, possibly greenlighting Burn Notice, which focuses on a blacklisted Special Ops agent. Sci Fi Channel, meanwhile, will develop shows in a more “earth-based” vein. "Nothing is dark or dysfunctional,” Hammer says. “The whole [USA] brand is looking to do interesting character-driven drama with a little twist of escapism.”

TNT, the “We Know Drama” network, is developing pilots on a heart-transplant surgeon (Heartland) and a police drama that moves in reverse time (The Line-Up). Meanwhile, corporate sibling TBS heads a list of networks targeting the funny bone. It will pump its money into developing both scripted and unscripted comedies for prime and late night.

And Comedy Central plans a slate of at least five new primetime series: January's The Naked Trucker & T-Bones Show, February's Sarah Silverman-scripted series, and improv shows Halfway Home, American Body Shop and Lil' Bush. The network's success with The Colbert Report allows the aggressive plans. “Colbert has been nothing short of a gift to us in so many terms,” says Executive VP, Original Programming and Development, Lauren Corrao. “It's allowed us to focus our development on what we consider to be our prime, from 10 to 11 p.m.”

Quote:
So there you have it, a wee bit of intel. And let's be honest, this is just the stuff they're super keen on or have already committed to. Simmering under the surface at all these networks and the companies/studios that provide to these nets are dozens and dozens and dozens more series in various stages of development.

And what does this have to do with you?

Well, I know I'm not the **** but every single time I've pitched a network an idea I have for a series that's even remotely inspired by a trend in current television, I've always heard back: "Oh, we've already got something like that in development." I've grown to count on it.
And it's quite common to sit down with friends and writers and creatives and have them test a pitch they're working on that's trying to capatalize on a current trend. And it may be a great concept, but the reality is they'll be working it up for, let's say... 3-6 months - to come up with a bible and a pilot script. And let's say all goes well and get the interest of a studio/company and network and it gets put into development.

Now in Canada you can pretty much count on a year of working out the kinks of your show before getting any sort of greenlight to go to camera. In the U.S. your mileage may vary, but 9 months is the fastest I know of anyone coming up with the concept and pitching it and getting a greenlight for a script and then an order for the pilot to be shot and then three months later it went into production.

And let's not forget the endless stories we've read and heard of series that finally got to air after getting turned down at every single network. It doesn't take much to realize that for something to get turned down that much, it had to be kicking around for a while.

Nevertheless, you get lucky and have a green light, but that process of crewing and staffing and casting can last 3-6 months. So now we're approaching two years from now. Say you shoot 13 episodes over a 100 to 140 days. In the States generally things will go to air about 3 months after you've started shooting (in my experience you'll be shooting episode 7-10 of a one hour series as the first one hits the airwaves). In Canada, you'll generally complete production of the entire series and it will air sometime within the following year.

So that's anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 years if you are really fortunate and all the pieces fall into place. Think about that a minute. And keep thinking about it as you start turning that cool notion into a series concept and so on... 'will this still interest and entertain and feel relevant three years from now?'

Not right here right now.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks NL. I really hope it's in the bag so to speak.

Icon - evangelin
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for posting that info NL.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks Negra Luna

Old 12-28-2006, 07:05 AM
Extreme Fan

Found this article at CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Entertainment :: Sites for sore eyes

Quote:
The sexiest TV moments of 2006, according to MrSkin.com.

NETWORK

5. "Six Degrees" on ABC: Shiri Appleby shows up at Campbell Scott's door wearing a skimpy black bra and panties.
That was very, very sexy. Go Shiri!!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's cool!

Icon - evangelin
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negra Luna (View Post)
Found this article at CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Entertainment :: Sites for sore eyes

That was very, very sexy. Go Shiri!!

It sure was.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Passionate Fan

I think of all Shiri's leading men I envy Campbell Scott the most. His scenes with Shiri seem so natural and sexy - and there is the fact that CS is close to my age

A Father is a man who keeps photos where he used to keep his money
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top