Old 06-13-2022, 07:03 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Tom Swift 1x03 Episode Discussion: "...And Nine Inches of Danger" {6/14/22}

1x03 - "...And Nine Inches of Danger"
Episode Discussion

While hosting the tech event of the year at Swift Enterprises, Tom (Tian Richards) embarks on a daring gambit to stop a security breach –
and to do so, he’ll have to get extremely close to the mysterious Rowan (Albert Mwangi),
whose undeniable chemistry with Tom complicates the question of whether Rowan is a shadowy adversary or a guardian angel.
Meanwhile, Zenzi (Ashleigh Murray), Isaac (Marquise Vilsón) and Lorraine (April Parker Jones)
look to Tom to shore up the corporation’s standing with powerful investors,
and Lino (guest star Donovin Miller) struggles to understand his inexplicably heightened physical abilities.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:04 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

I'm really hoping that they're not bringing superpowers into this show. Please no.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

prob won't see this until tomorrow night.
ds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:09 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

I’ll probably watch it later tonight.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:10 PM
Addicted Fan

Before Nace.

https://tvline.com/2022/06/14/tom-sw...sode-3-the-cw/
Muffy_Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:14 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Wow! I’m honestly intrigued. Thanks for sharing the article!
Old 06-14-2022, 06:47 PM
Addicted Fan

You're welcome.
Muffy_Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:08 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

I'm about to watch the episode in a few minutes.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:16 PM
Elite Fan

I wish I'd checked this thread before I watched because I was not expecting a sex scene tonight!

I really liked the summit/gala setting of the episode. It actually looked good considering the CW probably gave them like $5 to make it. I also liked the kind of mini-mission this episode with Tom trying to fix Barclay. It reminds me of the early ND episodes where there was a mini-mystery that fed into the storyline.

I'm a little nervous about Lino's supposed powers though I feel like there's so much media with superpowers already. Though heightened instincts (idk what to call it) is kind of an interesting ability so I guess I'll have to see where it goes.
gold-steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:30 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Okay I just finished the episode. I thought it was the best episode so far, especially the second half. Of course, I still think the show would benefit from a slightly darker tone. Everything still seems a tad too light for me.

- I don't think any of the characters, especially Tom, are taking The Road Back very seriously. They were portrayed as incredibly terrifying on ND. I feel like Tom will have to TRULY LOSE someone before really kind of grasping their ruthlessness? It's probably going to be Justin Chase. He's nice, handsome, smart, and Tom likes him (and so does the audience!)

- I really liked Susannah! The actress who played her was very, very good, and I hope we see her again. Her scenes with Tom were great, especially when they both talked about carrying the burden the family legacy.

- I love the rivalry between Claire and Tom, but what's with the creepiness with Lorraine?!

- The scenes with Tom and his mom were beautiful. We need more scenes that possess an emotional weight and less overall silliness.

- Isaac remains flawless.

- Lino's "superpowers"? Nope.

- Tom and Rowan don't do anything for me. I really don't feel any chemistry between them. Honestly, I care more about Tom's relationship with Barclay than his love life.

- The sex scene at the end was pretty explicit, but still not THE MOST explicit scene I've ever seen on The CW. You can tell they probably edited the crap out of it though to get past those TV censors! And at least it was with Justin and not Rowan!

- Rowan's "other way in" is seducing Tom right? But he's already "conflicted".

- This show has some serious potential, but they need to keep working out the kinks. I honestly expected it to be more of a "thriller" where TRB was coming at him from all angles, but I'm not really getting that.

- No ND Easter Eggs AT ALL this episode. Not even if you squint. You wouldn't even know it's a spin-off.

- Next week Tom becomes a cowboy. Okay.

ETA:

Quote:
It actually looked good considering the CW probably gave them like $5 to make it.
You're right about that! They really tried...but I honestly think the production design is way better on ND. They just don't have a big enough budget to pull off a billionaire lifestyle.

Last edited by broken crown; 06-14-2022 at 08:59 PM
broken crown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I don't think any of the characters, especially Tom, are taking The Road Back very seriously. They were portrayed as incredibly terrifying on ND. I feel like Tom will have to TRULY LOSE someone before really kind of grasping their ruthlessness? It's probably going to be Justin Chase. He's nice, handsome, smart, and Tom likes him (and so does the audience!)
Yeah I'm a little confused about this? No one seems to care a ton but TRB seemed way worse on ND.

I wasn't worried about Justin (I like him too) but I'm all nervous for him now
Old 06-14-2022, 09:11 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

The tone just feels very...unbalanced. Like they want Tom to be this fun-loving billionaire with a million love interests and a cutting edge tech company...BUT they also want this shady, ruthless, omnipotent organization to chase him? Well...that shady organization tried to kill multiple people on ND. They DID kill Celia.

That's why I wonder if it's going to take something BIG for Tom to realize how serious they are. Right now...he's messing around with Rowan and rolling his eyes at the Congressman...but TRB goes wayyyyy deeper than that! ALSO...why hasn't he even contacted Nancy considering they all experienced 2x15 together?!

Are they THAT desperate to keep the shows apart?!
Old 06-15-2022, 02:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Are they THAT desperate to keep the shows apart?!
TBH yes. I also think they are trying to draw in the demo ND chased away with how they wrote nick. Its really not even a spin off its more something in the stratemeyer universe.
ds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:25 AM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew
Henry Cavill

Like it’s just another show and they used ND to get it picked up. I’m not saying they need to have a ND EE every 5 minutes but it’s strange there’s almost zero connection between the mothership and its “spin-off”.

Unless there’s something in the pipeline that ultimately connects them, I think that’s going to ultimately hurt TS’s chances of a longer run.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah I'm a little surprised they haven't mentioned ND at all and that there's such a big disconnect between how TRB are treated in the shows.
Reply   Post New Thread