Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So it's got a bit of political pull. *impressed* Thanks Bea.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Formosa Betrayed
(U.S.-Thailand)

By DENNIS HARVEY

With: James Van Der Beek, Wendy Crewson, John Heard, Will Tiao, Tzi Ma, Leslie Hope, Kenneth Tsang.

U.S.-Thai co-production "Formosa Betrayed" is a decent political thriller set in Taiwan with the requisite Western-market-friendly lead and a determinedly pro-independence message embedded in a formulaic but diverting tale of intrigue and oppression. Major problem is that producer/co-story originator/thesp Will Tiao created a key role for himself whose histrionics he has neither the skill nor presence to pull off. Toplining James Van Der Beek, the pic may be a better fit for cable TV in North America, but elsewhere could pick up theatrical as well as ancillary play.
FBI agent Jake Kelly (Van Der Beek) has come to Taipei (circa early 1980s) to participate in the local police investigation into the murder of a prominent Taiwanese-American professor and independence activist in Chicago. Authorities, however, seem more interested in distracting him from finding anything, and anyone who might help --including the assassins themselves -- ends up dead before he can question them.

With major assistance from waiter-cum-pro-democracy-agitator Ming (Tiao, further burdened by lengthy speeches explaining the region's political and historical complexities) -- and contrastingly little from two-faced U.S. attachee Susan Kane (Wendy Crewson), Kelly realizes that local authorities, the Chinese government and criminal gangs are in cahoots.

The story is bookended by scenes in which Kelly tries to board a U.S.-bound plane with two fugitives at the heavily guarded airport; other sequences scattered throughout offer brief black-and-white archival-footage recaps of modern Taiwan history from Japanese occupation onward.

Briskly paced and fairly expansive in scale on a modest budget (less than $10 million), the pic sports some of the usual genre implausibilities, especially in terms of the hero's frequent willingness to flaunt agency protocol and risk creating an international incident. (One also doubts the FBI encourages its agents to travel abroad sporting fashionable three-day stubble.)

Debuting feature director Adam King (vet of several TV episodes and numerous d.p. gigs) keeps things slick and entertaining enough, if not particularly inspired.

Van Der Beek, "Dawson's Creek" by now well behind him, is acquiring the kind of credibly adult masculine authority many former teen idols never achieve, while Crewson is very good as a convincingly slippery policy wonk. Tiao aside, support cast is solid, tech package likewise.

Formosa Betrayed Review - Read Variety's Analysis Of The Movie Formosa Betrayed
Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds good.

Quote:
Van Der Beek, "Dawson's Creek" by now well behind him, is acquiring the kind of credibly adult masculine authority many former teen idols never achieve
Make that great

Thanks Kimberly.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, thats a great review, if not quite so for the movie, but for James. Thanks for posting this, Kimberly.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Master Fan

if it was just another review i wouldn't have seen the need to post it, but i had to once i read that!! the movie just needs to get a wide-spread release so everyone else can see that in James! and it's by Variety...which i think is a pretty big source!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Formosa Betrayed (formosabetrayed) on Twitter
FORMOSA BETRAYED an official selection of the HOLLYWOOD FILM FESTIVAL Oct 20-26 Arclight Theaters HOLLYWOODFESTIVAL.COM
8:10 AM Sep 9th from web

This thread isn't topped anymore?
Old 09-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Excellent.

Kimberly, we cna only have 3 toped threads at a time, 4 if there's something special happening (fan art poll, music video awards, new mod etc.).
Old 09-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Extreme Fan

I think this movie will be James' big break. I'm so hoping that it will because he deserves to have some spotlight. James is such a great actor, he's got the potential to being one of the best in the acting game. The trailer looks great!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Master Fan

I like very much what they have to say about James, and if that is the pay off for being away from the spotlight for so long, then, it's all good

I can't wait to see that movie! I hope we all get the chance to do so
Old 09-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Extreme Fan

We saw just the tip of the iceberg of James' talent in Dawson's Creek. I think that this movie should get him out of the shadow and in the spotlight. I'm hoping anyway. It looks like a good movie.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Good to see you here, Xelphia.

I just hope that James gets recognised for this and also that we get to watch it.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Master Fan

New interview

Quote:
Van Der Beek turns to Taiwan - Patrick Gavin

Most of you know James Van Der Beek from his role on "Dawson's Creek."

But if you can put away the image of Dawson Leery for just a second, the actor turns in a performance in "Formosa Betrayed" that's more adult than teenage fodder.

"I like to mix it up," Van Der Beek told POLITICO. "I like to play different characters. That's really the basis of why I pick a role."

"Formosa Betrayed" chronicles the events surrounding the murder and subsequent investigation of a Taiwanese-American professor on U.S. soil. A screening of the film took place earlier this week at the Newseum for members of Congress and their staff; it was sponsored by the Formosa Foundation, which is "dedicated to the advancement of human rights, democracy, and the right to self-determination of Taiwan." In the film, Van Der Beek plays FBI agent Jake Kelly, who travels to Taipei in the early 1980s to participate in the investigation.

"I do feel like it's important to tell stories that are true or at least inspired by true events," said Van Der Beek. "The fact was that this was a set of politics and issue that I didn't even know existed. I had never heard anything about this story. I was really — like most Americans — pretty ignorant as to what had gone on."

But Van Der Beek doesn't want this movie to be preachy. "The job of the artists or the actor is to put issues out there and to be as truthful as you can. I'm not going to sit here and try to be an expert on the issue or to even say that I comprehend it from every angle."

Still, "I have my opinions."
Old 09-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds very positive. Thanks Kimberly. And just as we suspected, he picks roles based on his own criteria, no one elses.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Master Fan

Thank you for the interview! I like that he is honest and admits that he is not an expert on thew subject, and that is not his job neither.

More from Facebook

Dear FORMOSA BETRAYED Fans,

Our recent screening for Congress was a big success! Please see the letter below written by Terri Giles, Executive Director of the Formosa Foundation.

-Formosa Films

---

Dear Friends and Supporters:

Drawing attention to the current and decades-long struggle for democracy forged by the people of Taiwan and their American allies, the Formosa Foundation was proud to present the dramatic and action-packed political thriller FORMOSA BETRAYED to members of Congress, their staff, and other Washington insiders on Monday, September 14, at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.

Your support helped make this event a triumph. By sharing the powerful message about the plight of the Taiwanese people and their fight for freedom, democracy and self determination with decision makers in Washington, D.C. we achieved our goal to increase awareness about the historic struggle of Taiwanese and their American friends to build a democratic society. The most telling indicator of the success of the evening was that members of Congress sat through the entire film. One long time Washington hand remarked that unlike other events that she has attended this event “felt authentic.” The film received wide praise from attendees and we heard multiple comments about how important the movie is to understanding the complexity of the Taiwan situation. Over the next few days and weeks we will be sharing photos and additional write-ups but I wanted to quickly share some of the highlights of the evening.

Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.), Congressmen David Wu (D-OR),Congressman Michael McCaul (R-TX), Congressmen Al Green (D-TX), and Congressman Gus Bilirakis (R-FL) were featured guests for the exclusive Washington screening of FORMOSA BETRAYED. They were joined by members of the board of Directors of the Formosa Foundation, cast and crew, and honored guest, former Taiwan Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mark Chen.

During the program, Senator Brown spoke of the need for Congress to keep an eye on what’s happening in Taiwan and expressed his concern that Taiwan’s democracy is “now in peril.” Brown confessed to the audience that he “dreamed of the day, like many of you, when U.S. policy moved to a one-China, one-Taiwan policy.” Brown went on to tell his colleagues that it is up to “us - the U.S. Congress - to help Taiwan keep the democracy that the people have earned and sacrificed to create.”

Congressman David Wu, who was born in Taiwan, stressed the importance of remembering the people who made both small and large sacrifices so that people in Taiwan could enjoy liberty and democracy today. In paraphrasing a saying made famous by then Governor Roosevelt in 1900, the Congressman said “amnesia is the handmaiden of tyranny; the only way that tyranny survives is if we forget what it does.”

Texas Congressman Michael McCaul, Ranking Member of the Homeland Security Committee’s Intelligence Subcommittee as well as a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, emphatically stated his strong support for Taiwan. He declared that “we like our independent in Texas and we have that in common.” McCaul went on to say that “America stands for freedom and democracy, and the fight against oppression and dictatorship, and we stand with you as we watch this movie.”

Ranking Member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, pointed out in her remarks that “As the old saying goes, ‘freedom is not free.’ It requires constant vigilance to stand guard to preserve those democratic values.” Ros-Lehtinen encouraged other members of Congress to renew the pledge to maintain a free and democratic Taiwan. She made clear that “there can be no backsliding in Taiwan’s commitment to democracy.”

Various news sources reported on the event – see selected links below – but the write-up that I found most compelling was by someone whose knowledge of Taiwan was limited, but who became energized after seeing the film and perfectly summed up the purpose of this event in her blog.

She wrote “Imagine if Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, etc. had all been locked up in a room and killed just before the American Revolution. This is, in a sense, what happened in Taiwan in 1947. The intellectual leaders of Taiwan were assassinated by the Chinese government. To this day, it has been illegal to speak or write about what happened.” See “What Do You Know About Taiwan?” at re:becca: What Do You Know About Taiwan? for the full story.

The Formosa Foundation is working to build a series of other special events surrounding the film’s screening in which to draw more attention to the issue of Taiwan’s democracy. Our next event will be a conference entitled BEYOND FORMOSA BETRAYED; Towards Truth and Reconciliation in Taiwan in Washington, D.C. on September 25 at the National Press Club. We are teaming with FAPA, Chen Wen-cheng Memorial Foundation and the Formosan Association for Human Rights to present this important forum.

Again, thank you for your support and please continue to encourage friends and colleagues to see the film FORMOSA BETRAYED. Upcoming showings include the following film festivals: Hollywood, San Diego, DC Asian Pacific American, Philadelphia Asian American, Sao Paulo International, and St. Louis International. For more information visit:Formosa Betrayed | Formosa Films.

Best, Terri

Terri J. Giles
賈泰麗
Executive Director
Formosa Foundation
350 S. Figueroa St. Suite 275
Los Angeles, CA 90071

213.625.1991 - Phone
213.625.1941 - Fax
Formosa Foundation

Taipei Times -- Taiwan's largest English language newspaper
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../16/2003453699
Washington Times -- DC's second largest newspaper
Green & Glover: Book club - Washington Times
Earth Times – International business publication
Congressional Screening of Film Sheds Light on the Historic Struggle for Democracy in Taiwan, Encourages Critical Look at U.S. Foreign Policy toward Taiwan and China
Liberty Times -- Taiwan's largest newspaper
http://www.formosafoundation.org/pre...s2009-9-16.pdf
ۥѹql - uQX檺ֺv ةլM
Roll Call -- Capitol Hill newspaper
Politico – Capitol Hill newspaper
NPR – National Public Radio
The Snow Lion – Human Rights blog
The Snow Lion Foundation Blog
Old 09-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Bea.