Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

Great review, Cris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris (View Post)
Joey (and her huge outfit!!) climbs the window to see Jen in her place (I always wanted to watch a wake-up scene in Dawson's bedroom, but well...we had the best waking-up scene made in DC history, so that's fine). She starts running and Dawson wanted to let her know anything happened. Jen knew he was gone.
Ahahahaha!!!! I completely forgot to mention the clothes! The wardrobe people really did a number on the cast in S1, didn't they? Joey, especially. Just bad bad bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris (View Post)
Dawson looks all over for Joey to find her in his closet. She's mad, he wants to know what they are exactly. She starts to talk about growing up. I always thought it was funny how Joey wanted to move forward at 15. They were teenagers, for Creek God's sake!! What did she really expect to happen? I mean, what exactly 'growing up' mean in Ms. Potter's dictionary? Four years later we will discover it means to be in a trapped relationship.
Big fat WORD. Because Dawson just held her back soooooo much. Please, spare me.

avi: Beatriz
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I always thought the wardrobe was bad because they don't get a lot of money in the first season. It was the smae with friends.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

Didn't J. Crew provided the wardrobe, though? They usually have pretty nice stuff.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have no idea.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yep, they did. That's why the clothes are so confusing to me.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think I really know what J. Crew clothes look like.

I dont think I paid much attention to the wardrobe at all through the season. Well, until James was wearing red at key moments.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

Well, of course!

J. Crew is very preppy and actually pretty expensive. They sell the stuff you'd see rich kids sailing around on yachts wearing...at least, that's what I think.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Elite Fan

I think Dawson's wardrobe got considerably better after S2...same for the haircut (except most of S4).

Old 04-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, i never understood the hair in season 4.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Obsessed Fan

Agreed. I think everyone's style improved after S2. Well, except for Pacey's Hawaiian shirts.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Was he still wearing them to the end?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Elite Fan

OK, I’m very very late with this, but since we didn’t get a new assignment yet, I’ll post this anyway

Oh, Joey climbing into Dawson’s window... awkward moment with the whole dropping by comment... and Joey’s her usual cynical self *sighs* I missed that later on in the show.

I don’t remember when I watched this the first time, but now the whole cliffhanger conversation just makes me bitter... because so many times we got the kisses in a season finale and it never amounted to anything in the end

I loved the Jen, Gams & Gramps moments... while Michelle didn’t look her best in S1, her acting was great, especially in this ep... she pretty much always made me cry even in the first scene where Gramps wakes up. It was the one episode where I really liked Jen in S1.

Oh Joey, showing up very conveniently when Dawson’s just mentioned you... (never noticed the France poster behind Katie in this shot before ) and is it just me or does Katie look really tall in that shot?

OK, the face on Dawson is priceless... Joey might be leaving for a whole semester and he has no idea how to react. Jen’s “genuine” enthusiasm amuses me, though, because no matter how you look at it, you can’t help but wonder if she’s only so happy because Joey in France = Dawson/Jen reunion...
I always kind of wished Joey had gone, I mean, what could’ve happened in the 6 months she’d be away? At the worst, she’d come back to her friend having hooked up with the love of her life in the meantime... oh wait, that would be Dawson hooking up with Pacey and I’m in the wrong show with this thing...

Ah, Jen realising Dawson might not have acknowledged his feelings for Jo, but they’re definitely there...

OK, this puzzled me. Joey’s still fifteen, right? So Mr. Potter went to jail like a year and a half before (if we are to go by Joey’s “13, your Mom dies” from Coda) and that’s not such a long time as her conversation with Bessie makes it seem... it gives me the feeling that it was a lot longer ago than it really was. Or maybe I’m just old and don’t remember how long one semester or two years can seem to a teenager

Pacey, at a time when I still liked him. A lot of the backstory about the whole “town loser” thing was only ever explained in S2 (fishing trip), so here it just makes Doug look like a complete idiot and a bully and Pacey like a baby for actually buying into it. I mean, I don’t remember having an explanation for why he actually buys into his family’s treatment... he just came across as the usual class clown, but at no point a stupid person, more like he didn’t care that much... it’s just confusing. The “I hate my family” bit that Pacey had was way too shallow in S1.

I like the banter between Dawson and Joey and how easy it is for them to go serious in the conversation. Though, obviously Joey is not seeing Dawson’s honesty when he says he’d be happy for her if Paris made her happy. I mean, he might not have faced his feelings for her yet, but he would be losing his best friend for a semester, with the chance of her coming back completely changed. It was a big thing for him to say that, but it’s kind of dismissed behind the whole “d’oh, can he not just admit he loves her?”
And pure parental thought: How come Bessie didn’t know about the visiting hours and how come she was so OK with Joey coming back in the middle of the night (if they’d get to visit Mr. Potter, they still wouldn’t be back until at least 10PM, considering it’s a 4-hour bus drive)? Oh and what motel lets 15-year-olds check in on their own? *confused*

I’m gonna disregard the fact that they both travelled to a place 4 hours away with absolutely nothing with them.

Aw, Dawson’s so cute when he’s being all awkward about the bed thing And he looks so young and innocent when he tells Jo he’d miss her if she went to Paris... it’s sweet, even if as a viewer, you know she’s not really going to go.
Oh Joey, Dawson’s thoughts are finally getting to the light and you go scare him away... who were you running away from and pushing away all this time? Riiiight, never mind.
I like Dawson’s “I can analyze everyone but myself” line. It’s so true, about both of them, they can rip apart everything that is not too close to home. And that’s one thing that never changes no matter how old they are. It is a very common thing, though.
“What are you so scared of, Dawson?” Hm, maybe the fact that you’re too snarky to him and he has no idea you like him? Or that besides his parents being all over each other (or something), he’s one blind boy when it comes to love/relationships and all that. After all, he is a boy and he is only 15. Plus, Joey’s cynical attitude does not hide how scared she is... it’s funny, she kept waiting for Dawson to show her his feelings all the time and every time he did, she ran for the hills eventually before he could. I kind of watch this now wishing that Joey had said something rather than Dawson.

Ah, Grams and her belief... honestly, I feel like Jen did in this scene (comes with me not being particularly religious). What was the point of that scene again?

Ms. Potter in self-defence mode. No matter what her Dad would say, she’d dismiss him, but it’s one realistic thing in this show. It’s so touching to not only watch Dawson realize his feelings for her but also Mr. Potter literally gasping for any piece of information on Joey. Makes me all the more mad at the rubbish that happened in S2, tho.
Did I mention James was awesome in this scene?

And so the “World according to Joey Potter” begins “If anyone should be brooding, it’s me.” Oh. Did Dawson just tell Joey to deal with her feelings towards her Dad? *hits head against keyboard* I forgot it actually was mentioned on the show at some point. “Running away is not the answer.”
Ah, I liked S1. So many truths.

Aaaargh, I can see how for Grams the “God has a plan” thing would help, but I’d feel like Jen for a second. But the part about prayer changing the person and not God was nice.

OK, the more I’m watching, the more I’m noticing the above-mentioned “World according to Joey Potter” thing. Even in the scenes with Pacey, she turns attention to herself. I didn’t think watching S1 would make me dislike Joey... hm. And is it just me or did they act like friends for the first and only time in S1? Weak moment for both of them, methinks. Joey pretending to look interested as Pacey starts telling his baseball story is amusing.
I take back my earlier statement about Pacey's backstory not being explained. This one bit is still S1, obviously.

Another WTF moment. Normal places close at about 6PM, right? So Joey and Pacey just driving off to the prison would get them after 10PM. I realize Pacey’s family would be mildly oblivious to his no show, but Bessie?

Michelle’s amazing acting again... breathtaking, but not inspiring much commentary.

OK, how does the prison guard remember someone who’s not even a blimp on the radar and how does he accept all of a 20 for a bribe?

Sweet, oblivious Dawson, so cute and innocent, not seeing either girl in your life being in love with you.

As pretty much everyone mentioned, the acting in the Joey/Dad scene is great.
Even though the logical part of my brain screams the whole “Two years! Not a lifetime!” bit at me, the “Do you love me?” part would’ve made me cry if I hadn’t been so busy typing. OK, maybe it’s because I have a daughter now, but the whole encouraging 15-year-old kids to date/whatever slightly freaks me out.
And I am not crying. Really. Promise.

OK, 1997 fashion was weird.

Who really bought that Dawson would just lie there waiting for Jen to kiss him?

I think they made Jen a little bit too stubborn with the whole church thing. I’d have bought more into “OK, I’ll go, but I won’t pray or anything”. Or even a “maybe”.

I’ve always loved the Broken Road montage. While it’s only deliberate time killing, it’s so well done, it’s kind of perfect. And the Jen/Grams/phone bit breaks my heart. And the church scene made me fall in love with Grams. I think no matter what she did after that scene, I felt for her.
OK, now I am crying.

Joey in the closet is so cute. But the self-defence mode she goes into straight away is a bit annoying at this point. Girl, you hide in the boy’s room, don’t go attacking him when he finds you
One thing I mentioned this time around is that the moment Dawson even remotely mentions that he might have feelings for Jo, she panics. You can see it in her face the moments he looks at her differently or opens his mouth. She wants to push him away, to prove her theory about people close to her abandoning her, even if they wouldn’t if it wasn’t for her words/actions.

This here is why I love DJ, the pure, unfiltered, untouched love in Dawson’s face... and the kiss.

That is all from me... hope I amused a little bit at least.

ღLeosღJeahღSterekღHobosღNewYorkersღPandasღSoulmatesღEverlarkღKlaineღ
Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Jen, loved the review. better late than not at all.

Maddie has decided this fortnights viewing pleasure is Detention aka Breakfast Club.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Elite Fan

Oh cool, that was my first episode ever

ღLeosღJeahღSterekღHobosღNewYorkersღPandasღSoulmatesღEverlarkღKlaineღ
Old 05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Everyone up for watching Detention this week?