Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-01-2004, 11:13 AM
New Fan

Dawson Leery Appreciation

Just a place to discuss why you like the character of Dawson.

The fact that he faced up to his obligations like a man. When the boat was damaged rescuing his friend, he worked the debt off.

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited AIBrooks ]
Old 04-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Master Fan

Yep, I really liked that in S4. He was the one taking the whole responsability actualy. Typical [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Oh well.

Just wanted to make the first post by giving you people the link to the Dawson's official fanlisting. I hope you join it [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~ Romantic Dreamer Addicted to Movies ~
Old 04-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hey, AI Brooks!

Thank you for starting a new Dawson Appreciation Thread. I guess our last one got purged or something, so I'm glad we have another thread to spread the Dawson love.

To reply to what you said, I agree. One of the things I love about Dawson was that he was such a stand up guy. Like you said, when Mr. Brooks' boat was damaged by Dawson and Joey taking it to rescue Pacey and Jen, Dawson spent many long days and nights painting fences, ect. to pay off the debt of damages (And to this day, it still pisses me off that no one even offered to help Dawson with that, given the fact that Dawson went above and beyond the call of duty to save lives. But it just goes to show you what a great guy Dawson is. He can do it on his own!) Another great example is in "Joey Potter and The Capeside Redemption". Pacey blows all of Dawson's money, and while Pacey is lying on Doug's couch, eating chips, watching soap operas, playing the victim like he always does, and feeling sorry for himself, what was Dawson doing? Busting his ass, working double shifts at Leery's Fresh Fish to make the money to pay off his credit cards. Again, just another example of what kind of man Dawson is.

Another thing I loved about Dawson was his willingness to step up, even when the person didn't deserve his kindness. Like giving Joey Brooks' money in "Admissions", even after learning that she flat out lied to him, or helping Audrey in "Day Out Of Days" (and being the only one to visit her in rehab in "Clean and Sober"), even though she had just drove a car through his parent's house a couple of weeks earlier.

I mean there are just so many examples of when Dawson made me proud. Like in "Seperate Ways/Worlds Apart", after Oliver blew the meeting with the agent, Dawson showed his determination by staying behind and waiting for the agent in the parking garage, so that he could convince the agent to give Oliver and him another chance. Or in "Day Out Of Days", when Todd insulted all of the "Powers That Be" at the meeting, and Dawson set up another meeting to clean up Todd's mess and convince them to give Todd another opprotunity to do the reshoots. Furthermore, when the Hollywood big wigs offered Dawson the job of doing the reshoots, Dawson turned them down, out of respect for Todd, and Todd had to convince Dawson that it was okay to take the opprotunity. Goes to show you how much integrity Dawson has.

Okay, I could talk about the million other reasons why I love Dawson, but it would take forever, so I'll take a break for now. LOL!

D&J2gether4ever ]

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited D&J2gether4ever ]
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 PM
New Fan

And probably the biggest thing was how he took over as the head of the family after his father dies.

He's only 18 or 19, he has a mother who is devastated by the loss of her husband, a baby sister and a family business that all need his attention. At this point in time, I think he is probably the most adult of the group.

Does he get angry and lash out at people that are closest to him? Yes, but in real life, in such situations, you are just numb going through the motions to get through it,then you crash.

I think the character's actions in this situation were very true to life.and JVDB did a very good job here.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

cool we've got another dawson appreciation thread, i missed it don't know where the old one went.

anyways always love posting stuff on the character dawson, he was a true character and far most the best!!!

love his work in S2,S4 also loved in s5 and s6

the big time director and always committed to everything and always helping and putting someone else before himself a true champ [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

keep the faith always [img]smilies/daisy.gif[/img]

regards
taubmas80 - djalways - Aussie DJer
Old 04-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Total Fan

Glad to see we got this thread back [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Very good points about Dawson.I agree everything you said.Brandi your post is excellent.

Sometimes i can't understand some people,how can they think Dawson is a selfish person.Did we watch the same show or what?They blame him because of what he's done on "The Longest Day,Show me Love and Anti-Prom".The only thing he did wrong was to get in that race.Yes it was stupid and he shouldn't have done it.But i think it's very understandable.For God's sake he is a human he has to make mistakes.But it doesn't make him a horrible person.

I've never blamed Pacey because of his feelings for Joey.You can't control your feelings and you can't choose who you love(D's words [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) But you HAVE to be honest around your people about what you feel.That's why Dawson deserved to know it before.Also Dawson blamed mostly Pacey because he knew why Dawson didn't want to get back together with Joey.Even Joey didn't know Dawson had still fellings for herself after he came back from his holiday,however,Pacey knew.He supported his decision on Witch Episode.But the most important thing when Pacey and Dawson went to the camp Pacey had a chance to say about Joey and himself.But he didn't.Besides it was very clear Dawson was still loving her.What did he do?NOTHING.He prefered to suck Joey's lips one episode later.

If i were Pacey i should have gone to Joey to tell the whole truth about Dawson's feeling for Joey.Because that's the bestfriends for.

I know it's an anti-pacey post but i'm sick of reading terrible thing about Dawson. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Nagihan
Old 04-02-2004, 06:36 PM
New Fan

Even in Show Me Love, the episode with the boat race, they have Dawson endangering the other boat by refusing to yield to the right of way.I mean yielding the right of way is a basic rule of boating safety not just racing conduct.

And we are supposed to believe that all of a sudden Dawson ,who has been operating a motorboat on his own, is going to forget all of this and believe that he won the race fairly?

This is the same Dawson who a few months later is able to navigate a boat through a huge storm to save people. It's the latter actions that I think are more consistent with my understanding of the character
of Dawson.

Just as an aside, the people who co-wrote Show Me Love wrote exactly one episode of Dawson's Creek.

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited AIBrooks ]

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited AIBrooks ]
Old 04-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Total Fan

Because at that time writers needed a bad guy and Dawson was perfect for it.The rest of the details weren't important.

They used what they wanted and then totally forgot it.That's what they always did.

Nagihan
Old 04-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

Hey, AIBrooks!

I couldn't agree more with you. I mean, Dawson operated his speed boat during S2, and he navigated a huge storm to save Pacey and Jen in S4, and the writers expected us to believe that Dawson didn't know about boat safety rules in 321? Please! Mitch probably taught him that as soon as Dawson could operate a boat. Once again, the hacks throwing away all things logical in order to fit whatever they want to tell at the time. Thank God those particular writers never wrote another episode, because I'm scared to imagine what else they would have butchered if they were allowed to write more.

D&J2gether4ever

[ 04-03-2004: Message edited D&J2gether4ever ]
Old 04-03-2004, 01:52 PM
New Fan

After season 2, there were a lot of writers that only wrote one or two episodes and were gone.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:26 AM
Obsessed Fan

i agree.

regards
Old 04-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think that people overestimate dawson at times. i mean yes i hated how the writers wrote dawson as this evil person who doesnt have feelings and make him look like the bad person, when in reality he was just as hurting as everyone else.

i agree, with whoever said this, that pacey should of just been honest with dawson at the begining. i mean i love pacey too, but the one thing he said to joey was joey was that he started it and he should be one who should of told him. i think alot of problems would of been solved.
Marissa: Thank You
Old 04-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Total Fan

I hate seeing that people talk about him as an evil all the time.Whenever i go to look at a discuss thread that's all they talk about.Dawson and his mistakes.What i don't understand how can you tell Dawson is so selfish.Because he wants to Joey back????When he understood Joey wanted to be with Pacey he was the one who told to Joey to go Pacey.He let her go.What was he going to do else?Go to Pacey shakes his hand and give a champagne to celebrate his victory [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

That's why i love 402_Falling Down.This is the one of the biggest prove how wrong that people are.Even Pacey didn't wanted fix their relationship Dawson tried to help him.He found a way to help him.He didn't just sit and blame other people.Dawson defended Pacey about why he didn't tell the truth.He explained Pac's excuses.A selfish man never do that.On the contrary he uses it for his good.But Dawson didn't do that.Because he's selfish [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] How ironic isn't it?

Nagihan

[ 04-06-2004: Message edited nghn ]
Old 04-07-2004, 03:27 AM
Obsessed Fan

in the end dawson was always the hero and the grown up character of them all [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

go dawson!!!

regards
Old 04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Master Fan

Dawson was the only character that i could really uderstand, and the writers screwed him up in S3 by turning him into the bad guy, and i can understand why james was pissed about that, because i know i would. And then the writers screwed dawson and james again in S6 when they had him hardly have any screen time, i mean they gave Eddie more screen time then Dawson, and i hate that, and thats why i hate the writers for not even egnoliging that dawson was on the show in S6.
Dawson was my favorite character on the show, and i don't understand how no one can like him.

Im sorry im all over the place. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]