Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for bringing those over.

I watched the first episode earlier today, going to watch the second one now but I'll post my thoughts tomorrow since it's already late.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Karma Police is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm going to post the review for the first episode now!

The Alienist Season 1: Episode 1. 01 - "The Boy On The Bridge"

+What is your Favourite scene? Why?

It wasn't one scene in particular so much as the overall 'darkness' of the episode. The smog/fog over London, the lit street lamps. The atmosphere throughout was intense.

+What is your Least Favourite scene? Why?

The grieving mother for her lost boys, blaming Laszlo (Daniel Brühl).

+What would you change about the story/plot/ending? Why?

For this episode, I wish we had seen Ms. Howard (Dakota Fanning) sooner, rather than after 20 minutes had passed.

+What's one interesting thing you noticed while re-watching that you missed during your first watch?

I was able to notice certain character traits more as this is a re-watch for me. For example, John Moore's (Luke Evans) facial expressions are spot on and very expressive.

+Favourite character from the episode?

I loved John Moore most in this episode. From the introduction to his character to the way he turned away at the crime scene, unable to look at the savagery of the dead boy. It was all very human and relatable reactions.

+Least favourite character?

I like the character of Laszlo overall, but he comes across as very arrogant and abrupt.

+What did you think of the introduction to your favourite character from the episode?

I liked how John Moore was introduced because it showed he was infallible. He's a man and like any other wants the pleasures of a woman.

+How did you feel about what transpired in the episode?

There are few points I wanted to make how things progressed.

For example, I really loved how it got right into the story, no skirting around any fluffiness so to speak.

I didn't like or appreciate how the Captain of Police, Conner, was so disrespectful to the dead boy on the bridge, no matter his state of dress. Also, I really appreciated the sensitive reaction Moore gave to the body and scene when he was sketching it. Couldn't look at it too long because it made him ill.

The guest appearance of Ted Levine playing Thomas Byrnes! (Known for playing "Buffalo Bill" in "The Silence of the Lambs")

I liked too that it's revealed that John Moore and Ms. Howard have known each other for years and are somewhat friends. But I didn't like how Laszlo wanted John to exploit that relationship to gain information.

Lastly, I disliked the reveal that Captain Conners was in the pocket of some rich dude to do his bidding!

+Any other comments:

Even though there are characteristics of characters I was not fond of, it creates a great dynamic and I loved the overall episode progression and lead in to the next.

What would you rate this episode out of 5 ?

EDIT:

First, I made a banner for the OP!

The Alienist Season 1: Episode 1. 02 - "A Fruitful Partnership"

I like the dinner part scene where Lazslo is brining everyone into the fold.

It was a great way to see all the cast working the case together.

Seeing the ending scenes were Moore is drugged as he tried to garner information. It also showed his lack of experience in trying to obtain said information.

Like mentioned above, I didn't like seeing Moore being drugged, so I wish that part didn't happen.

+What's one interesting thing you noticed while re-watching that you missed during your first watch?

As it is a re-watch for me, I did notice how Moore tends to want to constantly protect Sara Howard. I feel he believes he's noble in this gesture, but it's not necessary, as she's a very strong willed sort of woman.

The trio of Laszlo, Moore and Howard coming together as a collective made them as one unit my favourite 'character'.

Not happy with Teddy Roosevelt's (Brian Geraghty) role this episode and how he so easily felt he could dismiss Laszlo and his plan to seek out the truth via the evidence.

+What did you think of the introduction to your favourite character from the episode?

Being that my favourite 'character' this episode was the collective trio, I liked their working together.

I like how things are progressing, but at the same time, how certainpeople want to stop them. IE Moore's attempts at the truth causing him to be drugged and Captain Conner being the pocket of Biff Ellison (Falk Hentschel)

+What would you rate this episode out of 5 ?

Again, I love the atmosphere of the show and would give it

+Any other comments:

Looking forward to the next two episodes!

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 06-03-2018 at 08:03 PM
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My lovely husband came home way sooner than he was originally supposed to yesterday
I haven't watched yet
Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

^

Millie, the banner is gorgeous! Thank you for doing it, added it to the OP.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

I must try to watch it this week at least. I'm kind of always late in group viewings. But I still haven't even finished dark.
Arrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Police (View Post)
^

Millie, the banner is gorgeous! Thank you for doing it, added it to the OP.
I agree with Pauline, Paula!

Thanks for adding it to the OP!

Look forward to your guys reviews when you do watch!

So is the plan to try to watch the next two episodes this weekend?
Old 06-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'll watch two more episodes during the weekend.

Going to post my thoughts on the first two episodes tomorrow, really tired today.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No worries! I'll just plan to watch the next two on Sunday or Saturday night.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Episode 1 The Boy On The Bridge

What is your Favourite scene? Why?

I liked the first scene, with the man (was it an officer?) walking on the snow, I loved the way it was shot and I also liked the way they were signalling that something happened. Oh and the staircase scene, love those kind of scenes.

What is your Least Favourite scene? Why?

I agree with Millie here, wasn’t very fond of the mother blaming Laszlo either, though she was in pain and still grieving, it was understandable that she was blaming him.

What would you change about the story/plot/ending? Why?

I would give Laszlo's servants speaking roles, it felt so bizarre how they acted around him, they seemed like statues.

Favourite character from the episode?

Laszlo is kind of hard to read but I love open-minded people, pioneers in TV shows that are set in such times, even if he is arrogant. I don’t have any favourites yet, though I think I’ll end up liking Sara Howard and the detective brothers the most but we’ll see.

Least favourite character?

Captain Connor, ugh.

What did you think of the introduction to your favourite character from the episode?

I’ll choose Sara Howard here, I liked the way she was introduced, how she quickly proved that she can take care of herself, is no damsel in distress and walks with her head held high in an environment where all the men look at her either with disgust/distrust or in an inappropriate way, make lude remarks, etc.

How did you feel about what transpired in the episode?

The way some people talked about the boy was heart-breaking. Those poor boys, forgotten and abandoned, look for love (or the illusion thereof) at the wrong places and nobody helps them, even after they die.

I liked the signs of time so to speak - like the clanging to alarm that something happened, syphilis being basically a death sentence, Laszlo being treated like the devil because he's progressive, etc.

Even though they introduced a lot of characters and showed a lot of different aspects, it was well balanced imo. We already know something about each character that is going to play an important role, (what their skills are or might be, who’s sensitive and who isn’t, etc.), the relationship between various characters, that Roosevelt is not very liked by some in the force and outside, that he wants to make reforms, that there is corruption and so on.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Captain Conner is a but he's in a way a villain who wears the good colours if that makes sense.

You almost feel like you're supposed to like him just because he's Captain of police!

Well said Pauline! Loved your review.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Millie! I love the banner! Thanks for making that!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you Millie, I have already written down my thoughts about episode 2 on a notepad, just need to organize them.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Paula!

Paulina - I used a note pad too so I could pay attention!
Old 06-10-2018, 03:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The Alienist - Episode 3: "Silver Smile"

I loved near the end of the episode, the reveal of the new victim on the glass above their heads.

Seeing John trying desperately to convince Laszlo at the beginning that he was not in the 'Tenderloin District' for what I think Laszlo was assuming. He was there to get information and I disliked Laszlo's implied judgements.

The flow was good on this and I wouldn't change anything really.

+What's one interesting thing you noticed while re-watching that you missed during your first watch? (If a re-watch)

The continuity of the darkness of the show, I like how lamps are used to bring brightness or candles.

John Moore for me. His struggle to gain the information he needs from the boys/Molly's.

I think it's going to always be Captain Conners at this point!

It was perfect as it started right where we last saw John, the morning after he was drugged.

I liked the new reveals of the character traits, from Sara Howard and her shock and astonishment over the victims to her intrigue as well. Also, with Laszlo questioning his help but also seeing his complete lack of tact when conversing. Like he puts himself on a pillar of greatness to look down on others. Seems like it's a defence mechanism for him but why?

It just keeps getting better for me so:

+Any other comments:

I enjoyed the guest appearances of Sean Young as the rich boys mother and Ted Levine, who's in their pocket obviously feeding them information.

The fact that we have a suspect in the boys killings in these rich folks son, but way of Thomas Byrnes (Levine) information revealed.

I liked the progression into the fingerprint details as it wasn't a practiced forensic tool as of yet at that time. Still in the early stages.

The confidence in Sara Howard and her influence over Roosevelt. I don't think he's a bad guy but he's trusting of the information fed to him.

Loved the quote from the boy/Molly when Laszlo and Moore question him: "We do things real girls don't do." (New thread title? )

I like the smalls scenes with Laszlo's servant, Mary, but is she mute? Or a choice not to speak?

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

EDIT:

The Alienist - Episode 4: "These Bloody Thoughts"

The shock on Laszlo's face when Moore returns with Mary.

Captain Conners trying to imply that Moor's drawings, left behind at the crime scene, were anything but a rendering of the scenes.

Laszlo's constant arrogance and snottiness to others.

+What's one interesting thing you noticed while re-watching that you missed during your first watch? (If a re-watch)

The attention to detail with small things like the boys, Joseph and the dress and makeup they wear as Mollies.

John Moore and Sara Howard

Laszlo. His disregard/disrespect in how he talks to people.

Nothing spectacular but I liked the character progression.

I liked the discoveries, especially with the Isaacson brothers and their discovery of the perpetrator being a climber as well as Moore's discovery of the Syphilis treatments and effects. (Silver Smile)

+Any other comments:

I liked seeing Sara's genuine shock over how Conners was showing Roosevelt Moore's drawings. She has great reactions to events but they all lead more into her intrigue about the situations.

The way they were brought together through the letter and their continued joining into a group was the best part!

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 06-10-2018 at 06:33 PM
Old 06-17-2018, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

*covers eyes* Popping in to say I will join. Will play catch up soon.
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread