Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2018, 08:06 AM
Moderator Support Team

LGBTQ Community #2: Because we can't wait to see what S2, the comics, and 2019 bring!

welcome to the 2nd
LGBTQ COMMUNITY THREAD
This is a community thread created in the same vein as embassies threads; it's a place for LGTBQ fans and allies to talk about their experiences in real life and how the show portrays the community. This includes discussion about any of the LGBTQ storylines, couples, and characters on Runaways, as well as any LGBTQ/allies persons of the cast and crew -- but please remember that opinions will differ on certain subjects and try to keep it polite. Expressing dislike of a character or frustration at a storyline is acceptable, but full-on bashing is not. This thread is considered a SAFE SPACE. Derogatory remarks about a character/member's sexual orientation is not allowed and will not be tolerated. If you have a question about something, feel free to ask, but please be respectful.

• • •

“One of the first things I wondered was whether people will be offended that I’m straight and playing a gay character. I was really nervous when I got the job because
I didn’t want to disappoint fans. I have a lot of friends who are gay, so I talked to them a lot about how I could do the character justice. Karolina is superhuman, but
human, too.
Her sexuality was a huge thing for me because I want [to play] characters that I think are going to help people or start a conversation. The reaction has
been super positive and I think that’s largely because for a very long time people from every walk of life have wanted to see people they could identity with on the screen.
I’m just happy that I’ve had the opportunity with my role as Karolina to be a voice for the LGBTQ community.

-- VIRGINIA GARDNER [source]

+

• • •

01. We've got a rainbow girl. But don't forget, you can be one too!
02. Because we can't wait to see what S2, the comics, and 2019 bring!
S T A R D U S T

Last edited by majesdane; 11-13-2018 at 05:17 AM
Old 10-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Tftnt
Old 10-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2018, 04:37 AM
Moderator Support Team

np
S T A R D U S T
Old 10-29-2018, 09:38 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

Thanks for the new thread!

Anyone watching the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina?

Her cousin is pansexual and one of Sabrina's besties is struggling to understand their gender.

Quote:
And then we have Susie Putnam, whose discovery about their gender on the supernatural show is likely the plot that most accurately mirrors mortal life.
Very few television shows take on non-binary representation, and even fewer succeed. But Netflix’s CAOS is different. For one, Susie is performed by 17-year-old North Carolina native Lachlan Watson, a non-binary actor.
“I think that’s been very nice to be able to almost tell my own story through Susie a little bit,” Lachlan tells Teen Vogue.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

Was just going to post about Sabrina! Great minds think alike Jackie
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 10-30-2018, 08:11 AM
Moderator Support Team

interesting, i had only heard about the pansexual character. it's on my to-watch, but that list is very long.
S T A R D U S T
Old 10-30-2018, 08:40 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

I just found out about the actor yesterday. I had tried to figure out the direction of Susie. And Sabrina, Harvey, and Roz are super supportive to their friend. It's a great dynamic friendship all around.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:03 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis (View Post)
I just found out about the actor yesterday. I had tried to figure out the direction of Susie. And Sabrina, Harvey, and Roz are super supportive to their friend. It's a great dynamic friendship all around.
that's great!

i just binge-read the monster baru cormorant last night, and it was so good. it's the 2nd book in a fantasy (light) series by seth dickinson. it's a very complex, multi-layered, diverse geo-political series. basically, it's about the effects of colonialism and the idea of trying to fight evil from the inside.

the main character, baru, is a lesbian. she comes from a culture where poly and non-het relationships were considered the norm, so she grew up in with a mother and two fathers. there are other queer characters in book 1, but in book 2 we get to meet even more (and expand upon some of the more nominal ones from book 1). so in book 2 we have lesbian representation, bisexual rep, gay male rep, and even non-binary rep. and one of the things i loved in book 2 was seeing queer characters talk/interact with each other about sexuality.

the books are are written by a cishet white dude, too. but most of the characters in the series are not white and a great many of them aren't heterosexual, so it's interesting to actually see someone not just put in "token diversity characters" but actually like, explore those characters. i follow him on twitter and he's actually reached out to his LGBTQ fans before to ask like, "hey if stuff like ____ happens in fiction, how do you guys feel?" and you can see that he genuinely cares about getting all this rep right. i feel like he's one of the only authors i've ever read/heard about who is that consciousness.

anyway, you guys should go read the books! /soapbox
S T A R D U S T
Old 11-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to check it out!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:37 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try to check it out!
no problem.
S T A R D U S T
Old 11-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

I've been marathoning a medical show called The Night Shift. One of the docs is a gay army man. Rough in the first season, especially when his boyfriend got hurt and he didn't want to be known as the "gay doctor." But they're married now and adopted a teen girl. Makes me happy to see them. (It helps that the actor was in Roswell, so I'm attached.)
Old 11-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I've been marathoning a medical show called The Night Shift. One of the docs is a gay army man. Rough in the first season, especially when his boyfriend got hurt and he didn't want to be known as the "gay doctor." But they're married now and adopted a teen girl. Makes me happy to see them. (It helps that the actor was in Roswell, so I'm attached.)
cool! thanks for letting us know about this show, jackie.

i've been reading (or trying to read) a lot books with queer female characters lately.
S T A R D U S T
Old 11-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

Ugh Night Shift was one of my favs! Sucks it randomly got canned.

Loooove comics
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

That last season was rough. I wasn't surprised it got canceled.

But I loved how well Drew and Rick were. And Brianna. WHAT A FAMILY. And Rick wanted a baby. So we can pretend that when Drew returned, they looked into adopting a baby and Bri was the best big sis and Drew was/is/always will be putty for his kids.