Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2017, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

1x02: "Tape 1, Side B - Jessica Davis" Episode Discussion Thread

1x02: tape 1, side b
episode discussion thread

"Hey, it’s Hannah. Hannah Baker. That’s right. Don’t adjust your… whatever device you’re hearing this on. It’s me, live and in stereo.
No return engagements, no encore, and this time, absolutely no requests. Get a snack. Settle in. Because I’m about to tell you the story of my life.
More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to this tape you’re one of the reasons why.
I’m not saying which tape brings you into the story. But fear not, if you received this lovely little box, your name will pop up. I promise."

x

Tape subject: Jessica Davis, for mistakenly believing that Hannah was the reason for her breakup with Alex.

On the tape, Hannah reminisces about her friendship with two other new students: Jessica, who moves frequently because her father is in the Air Force, and Alex, whom they met at a coffee shop. Jessica and Alex eventually become an item and stop hanging out with Hannah. When Alex breaks up with Jessica, Jessica blames Hannah. In the present, Hannah's mother, Olivia, finds a note in her daughter's textbook that leads her to believe Hannah was being bullied. Bryce Walker's circle of peers meets with knowledge about Clay listening to Hannah's recordings.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting the thread!
♩♪♫
.¸.•*´¨¤ ¤¨´*•.¸.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

my thoughts on episode 2: (funny that i have answers to some of these questions now that ive seen the whole thing haha)

What I'm wondering is, if the main guy is listening to the tapes, and other people have listened to them too, then doesn't every person he mentioned in them have copies? Why aren't they all talking about them? Why arent in the hands of the police. Interesting that they said Clay was listening to tapes but he isnt that far into them yet.

I did like that Jessica said something about what Clay was listening to, so at least one other person listened to the tapes. She looked awful though, she was clearly distraught over what happened, and then wtf is up with Justin? He was hiding out too? At least her death if affecting these people...

Did the Jessica/Alex/Hannah friendships stuff happen after all the **** shaming stuff? It sucks they just ditched her for no real reason? And then Jess slapped her because she thought alex and hannah had a thing? So annoying. Hannah is just really getting the raw end of the deal here. No wonder she was so depressed! But then Jess says she was lying so what is the truth? How much of what Hannah says on the tapes is true? Jessica says at the end to Justin "if she was lying, why are you here?" so she probably is telling the truth and Jess was trying to cover it up?

I guess it makes sense that its taking Clay so long to listen because its hard for him. I like that Tony said that was the idea. Tony seems cool but everyone on this show seems suspicious. Him meeting with her parents was weird!

Why didn't Hannah give Clay a chance? They were cute and they obviously got along. He should have stood up for her more though, thats for sure. Maybe if he wasn't so awkward with her she would have known how much he actually liked her.

Cherie seemed kinda cute? I like the idea of Clay and Cherie maybe?

There are so many characters on this show and I wonder how everything fits together but I like that each episode revolves around someone new.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

Quote:
Did the Jessica/Alex/Hannah friendships stuff happen after all the **** shaming stuff? It sucks they just ditched her for no real reason? And then Jess slapped her because she thought alex and hannah had a thing? So annoying. Hannah is just really getting the raw end of the deal here. No wonder she was so depressed! But then Jess says she was lying so what is the truth? How much of what Hannah says on the tapes is true? Jessica says at the end to Justin "if she was lying, why are you here?" so she probably is telling the truth and Jess was trying to cover it up?
Jess pissed me off so much in that episode. Especially when it comes to her friendship with Hannah and the way Alex and her just ended it without a real reason or any explanation.

Quote:
I guess it makes sense that its taking Clay so long to listen because its hard for him. I like that Tony said that was the idea. Tony seems cool but everyone on this show seems suspicious. Him meeting with her parents was weird!
If I got tapes like that I would have a hard time going through them too.
{9/27 08 & 5/11 15}
Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)

What I'm wondering is, if the main guy is listening to the tapes, and other people have listened to them too, then doesn't every person he mentioned in them have copies? Why aren't they all talking about them? Why arent in the hands of the police. Interesting that they said Clay was listening to tapes but he isnt that far into them yet.

The way I got it is that the first person on the tapes; Justin in this case, got the tapes first, listened to all of them and then passed them on to Jessica and so on and so forth. So everybody that is on the tapes before Clay has listened to them already.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

Makes me really wonder why no one had the guts to actually go to the police with them. Especially with the stuff that was revealed later.
{9/27 08 & 5/11 15}
Old 06-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung Hero (View Post)
Makes me really wonder why no one had the guts to actually go to the police with them. Especially with the stuff that was revealed later.
I think they were all worried about saving their own buts from whatever trouble they could be in for having any fault in Hannah's suicide. They didn't want the tapes to get out & that's why none of them went to the cops or Hannah's parents. You could especially see it when they all would meet up to figure out ways to keep Clay silent. Of course by the end I think they all started to realize that the truth needed to come out.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

The truth had to come out eventually. Otherwise no one would have been able to move on.
{9/27 08 & 5/11 15}
Old 08-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung Hero (View Post)
The truth had to come out eventually. Otherwise no one would have been able to move on.
Yes! Especially her parents. I think they needed it the most
Old 08-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Now it's time for side two of Hannah’s tapes, and Clay is still focused on how he’s about to be called out for something that Hannah has declared as bad. Alas, Clay isn’t side two of the tapes but, it is about Jessica. the two clicked and started hanging out a Monet’s. Then Alex joins them. Hannah saying “one plus one plus one is not an easy equation" was hard. Alex and Jess dating behind her back was betrayal to her. I am not sure if they ditched her, or if that was just how she felt about it. Alex makes a hot list. Which is so typical high school boy. Hannah winning best ass wasn't a happy moment for her. I got confused, I thought Jessica won something too. I might have to rewatch that part.

In present day, Jess is dating Justin. Who is a di*k. Justin is tracked down at Bryces'. (who is a bigger di*k. Jessica is worried that Clay might talk. Clay is taking his sweet time getting through the tapes which is pissing Tony off. I have to admit I would have binged listened in one day. Hannah’s parents have been collecting evidence for the police for a lawsuit and finds the list. When Hannahs mother calls Tony, I wondered if there was a deeper connection between Tony and Han.
Emily
Old 08-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstool Prophet (View Post)
Alex and Jess dating behind her back was betrayal to her. I am not sure if they ditched her, or if that was just how she felt about it.
See this is one of those examples of how maybe the way Hannah saw things might be different than how the others saw it. B/c Jessica (or Alex I can't remember) claimed it was Hannah who had stopped showing up.

Quote:
Alex makes a hot list. Which is so typical high school boy. Hannah winning best ass wasn't a happy moment for her. I got confused, I thought Jessica won something too. I might have to rewatch that part.
He gave Jessica a negative. Something like worse body I think. That's why Jessica turned on Hannah.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

That makes sense now. That's why Jess and Alex stopped talking. I like how the perspective of Hannah is different than the others. I would like to know what really happened.. but I guess it really doesn't matter because that is how she felt.
Emily
Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah Alex did a stupid thing. I feel like maybe he should've tried to apologize a bit more.

It's very realistic that the way Hannah saw things may differ from how someone else saw it. Since it was her tapes we only saw her perspective. But just goes to show that maybe everything we saw might've happened a different way.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

I hope that we see a different side for season two.
Emily
Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think we will. That's probably the most compelling thing is to get the chance to see someone else's view besides Hannah's.