Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Crown 4x05 Episode Discussion

Season 4 Episode 5 "Fagan"

As Thatcher's policies create rising unemployment, a desperate man breaks into the palace, where he finds Elizabeth's bedroom and awakens her for a talk.

Previous episode | Next episode

Last edited by JoJoF92; 11-25-2020 at 03:09 AM
Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 PM
Moderator Manager

I thought this ep was okay. Not a fave but a good ep to showcase Olivia's brilliant acting.

I had heard about this before with Michael Fagan but didn't know the full story like how it happened. All I know is that he didn't hurt the Queen and just wanted to talk to her.

But also yeah, the security of Buckingham is atrocious. When Fagan entered the first time, it looked too easy. The second time? Laughable already. Thank goodness Fagan wasn't armed or dangerous. He was obviously struggling with his life being unemployed and then having to see his children being taken care of by his ex-wife's new bf of course won't sit well with him. It was actually nice to see the other side and for a while it doesn't look like I was watching The Crown because we were watching Fagan's struggles in life. But as we saw in his convo with the Queen, he said she doesn't really talk to normal people like him which is true. I think this happened to QE as a wake up call because living in that palace with the rest of UK completely shut off from the royal family and they get to go to other castles and vacation homes, it seems like a different world when you're a commoner and that was precisely what I got from watching this ep. QE needs to hear the regular people's problems, not those who wait in line at Buckingham hoping to just get a glimpse of the royal family.

Also this was I think a trying time for Thatcher since UK unemployment was so high.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I remember the news reporting the incident, but I didn't know the details, or why the guy went in there. I remember at the time wondering what they talked about, so I did really enjoy this episode as it answered those questions I'd had for so long.

It's interesting they choose to focus on this incident. There was lots going on in the country at the time. I do find it odd that in all the episodes there's no mention of the miners strike or the Poll Tax riots.

It has happened again though in more recent times when a Fathers for Justice protester climbed on the building. This sort of thing shouldn't happen.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:28 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliana (View Post)
It's interesting they choose to focus on this incident. There was lots going on in the country at the time. I do find it odd that in all the episodes there's no mention of the miners strike or the Poll Tax riots.

It has happened again though in more recent times when a Fathers for Justice protester climbed on the building. This sort of thing shouldn't happen.
Maybe it might be too political? I know the show treads on politics in general but it doesn't really delve into it that much but like you said, a mention probably would've sufficed.

I did read that anyone caught now would be imprisoned (as of 2007).

Old 11-18-2020, 12:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well indeed, they mentioned the IRA in the first episode before the assassination of Lord Mountbatton, but never mentioned the Brighton bomb which nearly killed Thatcher. These periods of unrest could have been mentioned in passing.

That probably should be the case it seems to me.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah I remember that story from the Iron Lady movie. I was waiting for it to happen on the show but it never did

it was cool that the Queen was forced to see inside the public's situation a little bit since she probably doesn't know that much about it. of course there wasn't much she could do

Old 11-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Moderator Manager

The Queen really handled that well. And lucky for her all Fagan ever wanted was to talk to her and not harm her.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

yeah. it really makes you think though, because Philip said had he been there he woulda protected her ofc but since they don't share a bed anymore.. I know it's common for the royals but if I loved my partner I couldn't even sleep without them

Old 11-24-2020, 08:45 PM
Moderator Manager

I think it goes to show the kind of atmosphere they have there. It's not common for a husband and wife to not share a room so that in itself is already something different about them.

I expect Mr.Fagan is relieved he didn’t come through that window and land on your bed.
Yes. That would have been a very different conversation.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess they sleep.in double beds and have a extra bed for extra curricular activities lol. Like what Marshall and lily try to do on How I met your mother. I do like the Queen and philip dynamic though. They did a good job showing Fagans struggle and it was funny how he was changing his name at the unemployment agency